NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2020, 08:44 PM
Matt L

Default 52 topps attic find and detecting fakes

Found a guy who is trying to offload a bunch of 50s raw cards including a massive collection of 52 Topps. Literally found in a friends grandparents attic. Obviously the Mantle is commonly faked, but are there really fake commons and high numbers? His story doesn’t have too many holes, but if they are real, he’s sitting on quite a collection.

I purchased 2 cards off him through ebay that are graded and that’s how we got to talking. He didn’t have a huge seller history and doesn’t really have other listings. His story was that he sent 3 cards off to get graded through his local card shop, those are the ones he sold on ebay, and is overwhelmed with the collection and which way to go with it. Joked about the cost to grade cards and said he’d rather just sell them all raw. He’s got a couple 54 Williams and Robinsons that looks super clean and sharp, plus a real nice 55 Koufax. He sent me a bunch of pics and everything looks good to me, but I wouldn’t know the first thing about spotting a fake. What jumped out at me was how white the borders were and some were super centered.

He suggested I buy just a couple cards and he’d throw in a few 52 topps commons and high numbers. Then I could send them all off to PSA expedited, and if they check out, at least it would make me feel a little better about spending thousands on the collection. He said I could come out to Montana and check them all out any time I wanted, but I still need to figure out what I’m looking for.

Any suggestions, tips, tricks? 52 commons faked? What’s a VG common go for these days? VG high number? The one’s in card savers are all high numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7EFD7B1-7895-41EF-A768-393C84A18677.jpg (13.9 KB, 1477 views)
File Type: jpg A1077F32-8293-49E4-9164-50F0D8CE669F.jpg (15.9 KB, 1473 views)

Last edited by JohnnyKilroy; 11-01-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:47 PM
pete ullman

damn...they look nice!
Old 11-01-2020, 08:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Had a recent similar situation. I asked the seller to send me a couple of the cards--commons--to look over for a small price. I chose the two. If they look good, I make the deal. If they are bad I am only out the price of a few commons.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-01-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

VG commons are in the $5-20 range. VG high number commons are in the $100 range.
And of course you want to check for the possibility of Gray Backs in the 1952 131-190 range, and in 1954's 1-50 range.

Commons from those gray back variations in VG condition sell for hundreds each.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:49 PM
Matt L

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
VG commons are in the $5-20 range. VG high number commons are in the $100 range.
And of course you want to check for the possibility of Gray Backs in the 1952 131-190 range, and in 1954's 1-50 range.

Commons from those gray back variations in VG condition sell for hundreds each.
Thanks for that!
Old 11-01-2020, 11:23 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Offhand from those two smallish photos, the cards appear authentic.

What is that, a 500 count box? And I assume there are more boxes. That would be a ton of cards to fake. Making a 500 count box of fakes, including mostly assorted commons, isn't the way a forger would work.

When you get some cards, you can post scans here.

Last edited by drcy; 11-02-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:29 AM

Default Montana

..I hope things work out for you ; my red flag for all this is the story of sending in a few through his "local card shop" and then you mentioned the cards are in Montana......the people I know who still have local card shops really are on the constant alert for people like him that just walk in with a story like his , and then to go through the process of helping him send in a few for grading , without going all "Mr. Mint" on this guy.....well, like I said , I hope things work out for you.....

Old 11-02-2020, 09:30 AM
Matt L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..I hope things work out for you ; my red flag for all this is the story of sending in a few through his "local card shop" and then you mentioned the cards are in Montana......the people I know who still have local card shops really are on the constant alert for people like him that just walk in with a story like his , and then to go through the process of helping him send in a few for grading , without going all "Mr. Mint" on this guy.....well, like I said , I hope things work out for you.....

I hear ya. He’s going to mail me a few random commons and high numbers that I chose. I’ll put scans up when I get them. If they look legit, I couldn’t see why the rest wouldn’t be.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:47 AM
J0hn H@rper

Devil's advocate here, but:

"Snow white borders and perfect centering"? (hallmark of the most obvious fakes or reprints)

Using an ebay stranger who just bought two cards and talked with you for awhile for all this (instead of continuing with the local card shop, as most people who have finds would)?

Sending that stranger high numbers that aren't paid for without a concern in the world?

Be careful....
Old 11-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Matt L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Devil's advocate here, but:

"Snow white borders and perfect centering"? (hallmark of the most obvious fakes or reprints)

Using an ebay stranger who just bought two cards and talked with you for awhile for all this (instead of continuing with the local card shop, as most people who have finds would)?

Sending that stranger high numbers that aren't paid for without a concern in the world?

Be careful....
Oh for sure. We are working out the details for which high numbers he sends, but I will pay a little. He understands how the story obviously sounds. We are both trying to figure out the best way to do this and feel comfortable. He’s not really soliciting me. And truthfully, the more I find out, and pics I see, the more I believe it. Still not sending thousands of dollars unless certain obviously. And there’s always the option to fly in and see the cards myself, as stated earlier, I wouldn’t even know what to look for. It’s kind of why we came up with the idea of just sending me a few randoms of my choice.

BTW, I’ve been following your 52 topps quest! Amazing!! If this pans out, I might actually take a run at it.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Chase

If they were found in his friends' grandparents home is he selling them for his friend? Why is his friend not selling them since it sounds like he does not know the card market that well?

Also you stated his story does not have too many holes. I like my stories to not have any holes.

Hope it works out but if you have ever seen the film House of Games from the late 80s how a conman earns the trust of his victims before he swindles them, it would give you pause. Might be worth a trip to Montana.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:17 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKilroy View Post
Oh for sure. We are working out the details for which high numbers he sends, but I will pay a little. He understands how the story obviously sounds. We are both trying to figure out the best way to do this and feel comfortable. He’s not really soliciting me. And truthfully, the more I find out, and pics I see, the more I believe it. Still not sending thousands of dollars unless certain obviously. And there’s always the option to fly in and see the cards myself, as stated earlier, I wouldn’t even know what to look for. It’s kind of why we came up with the idea of just sending me a few randoms of my choice.

BTW, I’ve been following your 52 topps quest! Amazing!! If this pans out, I might actually take a run at it.
Thanks. A find of all those high number commons/minors in VG would be too ideal to help finish my set. Hope it works out for you!

And "House of Games" was incredible
Old 11-02-2020, 10:19 AM
Matt L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
If they were found in his friends' grandparents home is he selling them for his friend? Why is his friend not selling them since it sounds like he does not know the card market that well?

Also you stated his story does not have too many holes. I like my stories to not have any holes.

Hope it works out but if you have ever seen the film House of Games from the late 80s how a conman earns the trust of his victims before he swindles them, it would give you pause. Might be worth a trip to Montana.
Story goes, friend found the cards, kept the Mantle and gave the rest to him because he owed him money. I’ve seen a pic of the Mantle. It had all the markings/signs that should be there for the type 2, but yes.. I understand fakes are only getting better. As for the holes, it’s just one of those things that starts off with holes, then they slowly get filled. So one of two things is happening.. he’s either the conman from House of Games, or it’s legit. Either way, not getting my money till I’m certain.

Pause is there. I’m not a big risk taker. So this will be a process. The card I bought from him was fairly close to market value too, so not like I got a screaming deal. I’m sure he has the ability and know how to look up past ebay sales. I think where the deal comes in is buying in bulk and I haven’t even began to dig into the deal portion. I’m still focusing on whether they are real or not... then we talk numbers.

Last edited by JohnnyKilroy; 11-02-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:53 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default 52s

You mentioned all the card savers hold the "high numbers". The one shown is # 172 Eddie Miksis. Maybe you could have him send a list of numbers to make sure he knows they are 311-407?
311-407 PSA 6
Old 11-02-2020, 11:06 AM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

In the internet age it's not hard to believe that people take a hard pass on selling to a brick and mortar store. There are dealers that will pay a pretty big price, but generally pay pennies on the dollar for big projects like this. Most would probably prefer to buy the big ticket HOF cards and flip those or flip as is, but not everyone is putting together a 52 Topps set. Breaking up a partial set is a lot of work and can take years. Likewise, it's a lot of work for any seller. I would doubt he gives you an absolutely screaming deal as I'm sure he was offered a low price already.

I don't find this to be overly impossible as a legitimate deal. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds once you share more.

Last edited by oldeboo; 11-02-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Matt L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
You mentioned all the card savers hold the "high numbers". The one shown is # 172 Eddie Miksis. Maybe you could have him send a list of numbers to make sure he knows they are 311-407?
Nice! That helps! I’ll do it now.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:43 PM
Eric Pugh

Default my two cents

My gut tells me this is 100% legit and a great find. Hoping to hear how it all plays out.

btw those cards look SWEET from that photo. lot of value there.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:19 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Many people like this have authentic items. However, they also often want top dollar for it.

I've also known people "off the street" who have discovered or inherited big collections on the order of this and who aren't always eager to consign it to auction or such. Thus, an individual trying to handle and sell the cards on his own over time is not unusual. Some are DIY types.

I believe all the official reprints of 1950s Topps cards are equally glossy on both sides, and I believe the official reprints of the 1952 Topps are smaller (normal card size, whereas the 1952 Topps are larger). So weeding out normal reprints would be simple. The backs of the 1950s Topps are on normal, non-glossy "au nautural" card stock, off white to gray.

Last edited by drcy; 11-02-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:40 PM
Tim Odeen

I grew up in Billings in the early 1990s, and there was a thriving card culture there. I can remember at least 3 card shops, there might have been more. The MiLB Pioneer League was the heart and soul of professional baseball, and the Colorado Rockies caravan would come up to Billings in the mid-90s. My tee-ball coach was the brother of Jeff Ballard, and Dave McNally had an auto dealership there. To many outsiders, they might think that Montana is backwoods / cattle ranching/ Unabomber / anti-taxers, but they are just as crazy about baseball, hot dogs, and apple pie as everyone else.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-02-2020, 04:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
I wouldn’t even know what to look for. It’s kind of why we came up with the idea of just sending me a few randoms
Then you need to buy some real 1952 Topps cards either here or COMC/Ebay to be able to compare them in hand when these come in. Get a couple white backs and a couple gray backs (ones from other series than 131-190) because they'll be cheaper.
But, as stated, there really aren't any counterfeits of the entire set. Just cost prohibitive to do it for no gain.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:15 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

This is very cool and look like they have a high probability of being authentic to me. Not far fetched as it was a mass produced set. I had partial to complete sets of 51B-69T in boxes just like displayed in your image and I wish I had them back. Good luck. I hope this works out for you.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Same as above. I hope everything is on the up and up and all works out for you.
It's a great set, imo, but of course I am biased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps 1.jpg (75.2 KB, 1031 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps .jpg (75.5 KB, 1033 views)
Old 11-02-2020, 08:39 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Thanks for sharing the image of your collection. That Mays and Robinson are so cool.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:00 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
This must be the only '52 T spread on the planet that also includes a trophy and (half) feet
Old 11-02-2020, 09:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
Thanks for sharing the image of your collection. That Mays and Robinson are so cool.
You're welcome, and thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
This must be the only '52 T spread on the planet that also includes a trophy and (half) feet
LOL.

I thought I cropped out my feet but I obviously did something wrong?
The Trophy is just one of my son's from school but I can't remember why it was there or why I didn't move it?
Old 11-02-2020, 10:01 PM
Matt L

Thanks everyone! This story will continue in a few days. He sent a priority mail package with my purchased cards along with some 52s. I asked if he had the Baritrome, Wilhelm, and a couple other High numbers... he never responded, but sent me the tracking info and said “I think you’ll like it”, but didn’t tell me what he included. So, still on the strange side, but only time will tell. I will report back.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:14 AM
Matt L

Update... this is definitely real! He sent commons and a couple high numbers. They look like the few I already have, they measure up, I am definitely believing his story. He also has sent me a list of all the high number he has. Now the next step.. figuring out a price!! These cards are in fantastic shape too.

I’m hoping to just buy them all and get a bulk deal. It does look like there are lots of duplicates, so hopefully those will aid in trading / selling for ones needed. I’ll keep updating!
Old 11-05-2020, 06:16 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Update... this is definitely real! He sent commons and a couple high numbers. They look like the few I already have, they measure up, I am definitely believing his story. He also has sent me a list of all the high number he has. Now the next step.. figuring out a price!! These cards are in fantastic shape too.

I’m hoping to just buy them all and get a bulk deal. It does look like there are lots of duplicates, so hopefully those will aid in trading / selling for ones needed. I’ll keep updating!
Good news.

Can you post up some pics of the cards you just received?
Old 11-05-2020, 08:26 AM
Matt L

These are in great shape, he said most were like this. The Frank Smith is one I had lying around, but why is the back a different color?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59481752-813F-4023-99CD-2BAB08B2AA35.jpg (16.7 KB, 738 views)
File Type: jpg A0FB20A2-EDFE-475D-B3B1-EE543C42DF10.jpg (12.7 KB, 740 views)
Old 11-05-2020, 08:50 AM
Matt L

Can someone tell me how you guys post such clear pics?? I take them with my phone, but the file size is too big. I try a scanner, but it comes out like the ones above. There’s got to be a trick I’m missing.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:44 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Topps can have different color backs, as they used different card stocks.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
These are in great shape, he said most were like this. The Frank Smith is one I had lying around, but why is the back a different color?
Card numbers 131-190 are normally found with white backs. Grey backs in that series are rare and command a large premium.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:51 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Can someone tell me how you guys post such clear pics?? I take them with my phone, but the file size is too big. I try a scanner, but it comes out like the ones above. There’s got to be a trick I’m missing.
My trick is to upload them to my Facebook page (you can set the post to "Only Me" if you don't want to overload your friends with baseball cards). Then go to each image and right click on the picture, then select "Copy Image Link."

Come back to your post and click the icon above the frame with the mountain in front of the yellow sky, and paste your link (make sure to delete the default https or your embedded photo won't display).
Old 11-05-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it can be a pain. Usually if I scan on my computer and post from my computer it works well. Just don't use too high of a dpi setting or your file will be too big.

Rob M
Old 11-05-2020, 03:36 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I do it from tapatalk, medium size, one at a time

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-05-2020, 08:11 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

I really hope everything works out. Be careful. So many scammers out there. They are good too. I could see one sending real cards just to score a big deal later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2020, 07:03 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
You need to do one card at a time and crop the pic so no background space is visible, just the card.
I then upload them to my documents on my computer then use "Manage Attachments" below then use "Choose File" to find the scan then upload it/them to the site.

If pics are still too big, there are a ton of image/pic resizers for free on the internet.

Good luck, and thanks for posting the pics you have so far.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:47 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

He sent you a Tony B? I thought that is a high dollar card.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:08 AM
Matt L

Cards are the real deal! Received yesterday! On to the 52 build I go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17B524E8-E516-4FE8-9CC5-EABEB5042DE3.jpg (20.0 KB, 301 views)
Old 11-18-2020, 11:44 AM
Mikeknapp

Congratulations I am genuinely excited for you. Its nice to know that there are still such items waiting to be discovered.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 11-18-2020, 01:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Wow, that is fantastic!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-18-2020, 01:53 PM
David M.

It looks like you are well on your way. Congrats!
Old 11-18-2020, 02:28 PM

Wow! Congrats. How many did you end up getting?

Rob M
Old 11-18-2020, 02:33 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

That's awesome! A good example of why it's a smart idea to send a message to a seller after buying something or even before. Can't say I've bought a near 1952 Topps set, but I've done some wheelin' and dealin' behind the scenes when the situation seems to present an opportunity.

Last edited by oldeboo; 11-18-2020 at 02:36 PM.