NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-20-2022, 07:12 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Ticket/Stubs market

Obviously tickets have exploded, aided significantly by Darren Rovell on Twitter at least with respect to modern stuff. Do tickets keep rocking upwards, or was the ticket bump largely a product of the 2021-covid mania and people turning to something other than cards to "invest" in? I think the answer might vary on what tickets/stubs you are talking about, but interested in people's views. I can see both the bullish case and the case that maybe things have already cooled off in all but a few areas (i.e., Tom Brady, some basketball guys, etc.) Sort of amazing to me how a Mickey Mantle card will sell in a day for $300,000, but a significant Mantle ticket stub will languish on Ebay for months at $3000.

I know there are some huge ticket collectors here, and many of them couldn't care less about selling or skyrocketing prices; just curious as to where the market is heading.

Does a Juan Soto or a Ronald Acuna first game ticket really mean much to anyone today?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-20-2022 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:48 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Obviously tickets have exploded, aided significantly by Darren Rovell on Twitter at least with respect to modern stuff. Do tickets keep rocking upwards, or was the ticket bump largely a product of the 2021-covid mania and people turning to something other than cards to "invest" in? I think the answer might vary on what tickets/stubs you are talking about, but interested in people's views. I can see both the bullish case and the case that maybe things have already cooled off in all but a few areas (i.e., Tom Brady, some basketball guys, etc.) Sort of amazing to me how a Mickey Mantle card will sell in a day for $300,000, but a significant Mantle ticket stub will languish on Ebay for months at $3000.

I know there are some huge ticket collectors here, and many of them couldn't care less about selling or skyrocketing prices; just curious as to where the market is heading.

Does a Juan Soto or a Ronald Acuna first game ticket really mean much to anyone today?
I know next to nothing about the ticket market, I think the people that collect tickets do not necessarily have to worry about stubs being turned into NFT's or the ticket of Mantle's first world series home run, becoming part of some quasi-etf.

I will say that a ticket to Soto or Acuna's first game, to me, might be worth more than a card of theirs. With so many RC's of them floating around, the ticket stubs itself, are more finite. Not to mention with the move of so many things to digital, I'd imagine there's less of them to go around.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:25 AM

Hi Steve,

I've had two rounds of collecting ticket stubs during my collecting career...first time was about 15 years ago...I had a good instinct on what to collect (Ruth Called Shot, $1,500, haha, 1919 WS, etc)...But I got "bored" with them and sold or traded them shortly thereafter. Obviously, I wish held onto them.

Fast forward to maybe 2019-2020, I got the bug again (thanks mostly to my friend Tom D), and focused on rookie season stubs (Mantle, Jackie), and historic moments (Gibson HR, Buckner Ball, Super Bowl 1, etc). I keep my eye open for debuts, rookie season stubs and historic moments.

And to answer your question, I don't see ticket prices relaxing at all really, I see them only going up. They're a fantastic way to have a tangible piece of history, that was "in the park" that day.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:49 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

They're a fantastic way to have a tangible piece of history, that was "in the park" that day.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Real tangible history. But on the other hand, a 52 Mantle has an aesthetic appeal that an important Mantle ticket stub will never have. Most ticket stubs, with rare exception like Super Bowl tickets, aren't much to look at. They have a wow factor based on their direct connection to an event, not based on visual appearance like cards and Type 1 photos. I think that's a major factor keeping a ceiling on value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Hi Steve,

I've had two rounds of collecting ticket stubs during my collecting career...first time was about 15 years ago...I had a good instinct on what to collect (Ruth Called Shot, $1,500, haha, 1919 WS, etc)...But I got "bored" with them and sold or traded them shortly thereafter. Obviously, I wish held onto them.

Fast forward to maybe 2019-2020, I got the bug again (thanks mostly to my friend Tom D), and focused on rookie season stubs (Mantle, Jackie), and historic moments (Gibson HR, Buckner Ball, Super Bowl 1, etc). I keep my eye open for debuts, rookie season stubs and historic moments.

And to answer your question, I don't see ticket prices relaxing at all really, I see them only going up. They're a fantastic way to have a tangible piece of history, that was "in the park" that day.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-20-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:55 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Tangibly "Perfect"

I've got about $100 into this stub.

I hope it doesn't go down.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:17 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

That's a beauty.

I'll offer $175. Make back your initial $100 and treat someone to a nice dinner at a nearby Red Lobster or Chili's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Tangibly "Perfect"

I've got about $100 into this stub.

I hope it doesn't go down.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-20-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:50 AM
octavio ranzola

im on boogerstickets site on facebook ive done really well they buy it all
Old 04-20-2022, 11:48 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I believe they will keep exploding in value because there are still an under appreciated and undervalued collectable.

The historically important ones are already spiking dramatically over the last year or so.
The current day will be interesting to see what they do. with so many teams and ball parks going digital there are less paper tickets and stubs so not sure what will happen for example when and if Pujols hits homer number 700 or Cabrera gets hit # 3000.

Also in the current day and some more modern as awareness goes up and people save these tickets if available as tickets there will be alot more inventory for sale and depending on demand could keep the costs down if the supply is greater than the demand.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-20-2022, 05:49 PM
Jamie

I have a Jordan first game ticket on Heritage right now that I never expected to sell, but given the recent sales I could not pass up the opportunity to cover a few years of a kids' college education.

I do think people were looking for some alternative collectables and they certainly have seen a visibility of from prominent social media members. I do think people just started noticing how rare some of these items are that also opened their minds a little more too.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:02 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
I have a Jordan first game ticket on Heritage right now that I never expected to sell, but given the recent sales I could not pass up the opportunity to cover a few years of a kids' college education.

I do think people were looking for some alternative collectables and they certainly have seen a visibility of from prominent social media members. I do think people just started noticing how rare some of these items are that also opened their minds a little more too.
I agree with you but I also think it is because as prices in other areas of collectibles started to spike like cards then casual and serious collectors were trying to find something affordable or upside potential so they went to say photo’s and then as photo’s went up they went for the next collectible that was affordable like tickets (not necessarily in this order but an example)

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-20-2022, 06:23 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I agree with you but I also think it is because as prices in other areas of collectibles started to spike like cards then casual and serious collectors were trying to find something affordable or upside potential so they went to say photo’s and then as photo’s went up they went for the next collectible that was affordable like tickets (not necessarily in this order but an example)
totally agree...it's kinda the next "thing"...people searching for the undervalued collectible...the alternative. There are a limited supply of them from the start and the surviving copies is likely a small % of the total issued...esp older stubs.

Additionally there are no more ticket stubs in many aspects of spectating? Are we to collect 8 1/2 x 11" printouts...or screen shots?

I've saved most of my ticket stubs throughout my life. I know I had an early wrestlomania stub...that I thought was worth some $$$$$...and now I can't find it!!!!!
Old 04-20-2022, 06:29 PM
Tom D

Quote:

That may be a trick question. A Juan Soto debut ticket is probably the hardest to find star debut ticket issued in the last 5 years or so. There is one on ebay at $15K BIN and it has 13 watchers.

That said, I think ticket collecting is still a small niche, even if the number of collectors has gone up 10x in the last 18 months.

Rovell had something to do with it I'm sure, but the sector that has really exploded, debut tickets, is something he specifically avoids unless there is some historical significance to the game other than a debut.

I think the modern segment of the market (say 2000 to 2017 or so) will cool off as more and more tickets enter the market. I'm convinced that there are more season ticket books out there to be pulled apart for hot tickets.

I do think that moment tickets from the 20th century will continue to go up and interest will continue to follow. The move to electronic tickets will keep interest up on tickets as collectors try to find hard tickets for current debuts and moments.

Something else that will continue to drive the hobby is with such a short supply of tickets, collectors are really forced to trade for obscure tickets as many tough one are locked up in long time collections. I think that makes the segment more interesting as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the segment grow, but I miss the days of $100 signed Perfect Game tickets.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:51 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I am in the process of consigning my 1920-2020 World Series ticket collection with LOTG for an upcoming auction. I don't think we'll see prices like this again for a while.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 04-21-2022, 01:45 PM
Jamie

Rovell just tweeted PSA just announced that PSA express ticket is $50 per ticket and 100 day wait.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:53 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

probably due to idiots buying all these Bobby Witt Tickets that "were so hard to find." Haha!

approx 55 auctions/BINs have sold some with multiple tickets sold on Ebay already in the past 2 weeks....plus another 15 or so currently at auction.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

Sold between $99 & 1650.00 (idiot who paid that the day after his debut, rather then wait a couple days and get one for $99-$200.)

Who by the way batting .146 in 41 abs - he keeps that up and these tickets will be going for between $5-$20 in the next few years.

Now mind you if he turns it around and becomes the next Babe Ruth these buyers will look like geniuses. Until then we can refer to them as morons.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 04-21-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
I am in the process of consigning my 1920-2020 World Series ticket collection with LOTG for an upcoming auction. I don't think we'll see prices like this again for a while.
Good luck, James!
Old 04-22-2022, 02:25 PM
Jamie

A bunch of interesting tickets are about to finish auctioning off including DiMaggio 56 game ticket at Hunt right now.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:29 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
A bunch of interesting tickets are about to finish auctioning off including DiMaggio 56 game ticket at Hunt right now.
Yeah watching. The Babe called shot ticket went crazy.
Old 04-22-2022, 03:06 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Did you get any Jamie?
Old 04-22-2022, 03:34 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Yeah watching. The Babe called shot ticket went crazy.
And the Mays catch for $27K? Even crazier.
Old 04-22-2022, 03:46 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
Especially considering one just went on Ebay for 1800 this past week, albiet not as nice condition, but a 25K difference...I don't think so.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20391196284...p2047675.l2557

One almost in similar condition as the Hunt one went on Ebay for 2800 in February.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37392427284...p2047675.l2557

I think Hunt is a case of 2 bidders getting caught up in it.

They could have bought the last 10 Mays Catch Tickets that went on Ebay for that 27K they dropped today.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 04-22-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 03:59 PM
Jamie

Yeah, nuts. I thought the DiMaggio went cheap since they do not come available too often
Old 04-22-2022, 04:10 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Yeah, nuts. I thought the DiMaggio went cheap since they do not come available too often
I totally agree with this sentiment. I followed the Hunt auction today with great interest. Ticket stubs to memorable games but that are often available for sale or at auction (Ruth's called shot, Mays' catch, Wamby's unassisted triple play, for example) brought incredibly high prices. Clearly demand took over with little regard to scarcity.

By contrast, the stub from Feller's opening day no-hitter, which I cannot remember coming to market (I've seen only one other example, in a Cleveland collector's collection that's not going anywhere) sold for $8,000. Sure it's a strong price, but it pales in comparison to some other prices when you factor in how rare it is (and the fact the event is very, very memorable and historic).

Would be very interesting to see the profiles of some of the buyers.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:43 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Good luck, James!
James, Good Luck but the gravy train might continue to drip. ; 0
Old 04-22-2022, 11:16 PM

1919 WS Stub for $38k.

Ticket market seems incredibly strong.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:41 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Tickets making there way from Hunt to Ebay in less then 24 hours.....in case you missed out:

https://huntauctions.com/live/imagev...=257&lot_qual=

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26565776348...gAAOSwHgtiY2Nc
Old 04-23-2022, 09:44 AM
Joe M.

The only ticket I have now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9354619C-0B24-43C8-9326-6557A152E7E3.jpeg (61.9 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpeg B090D739-D111-4BA2-AEB3-5156E8E2D15A.jpeg (90.0 KB, 283 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-23-2022, 10:13 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Sort of feels like the card market. . . . the truly unique, historic stuff (i.e., Joe D streak, Mays catch, 1919 White Sox) have exploded, while less special stuff (i.e, random WS ticket from the 1920s, A-Rod's first game, Renny Stinnets 7-7 game, first or last game at ____ Stadium) have all gone up a good bit and might go up a little more but don't look like they are going crazy.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-23-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
The only ticket I have now.
But that's a great one!
Old 04-23-2022, 07:19 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
No joke. Not a rare ticket by any stretch. That was consistently a $250-500 ticket pre pandemic.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:28 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
No joke. Not a rare ticket by any stretch. That was consistently a $250-500 ticket pre pandemic.
Some uneducated, big wallet buyers have entered the ticket collecting game.

Good for sellers, bad for collectors.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:58 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
But that's a great one!
Thanks, I like it

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-25-2022, 09:51 PM

I’m just happy I got my 1948 set before it took off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24D6C299-39CF-4546-BABF-B568731249D9.jpg (215.7 KB, 209 views)
Old 04-26-2022, 12:12 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default "I'd like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."

REA - 4/25/22 - $720:
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=105078

Ebay - 4/24/22 - $224......and no tape residue:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30444848699...p2047675.l2557
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DiMaggioREA.jpg (71.0 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg DiMaggioEBAY.jpg (72.9 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 04-26-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:25 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Joe Day....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joe.jpg (104.2 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 04-26-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:24 PM
Jamie

Need some advice, I own the Uncle Jimmy Program and Ticket Stub from the Babe Ruth Bows Out game. He traditionally took the ticket and taped it to the page where you would keep score. I have not touched it and placed the program in a comic book holder hard case, but have not removed it (as I am concerned to touch it).

I do not plan on selling, but for purposes of protecting should I remove the ticket or just leave as is?
Old 04-26-2022, 07:11 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Need some advice, I own the Uncle Jimmy Program and Ticket Stub from the Babe Ruth Bows Out game. He traditionally took the ticket and taped it to the page where you would keep score. I have not touched it and placed the program in a comic book holder hard case, but have not removed it (as I am concerned to touch it).

I do not plan on selling, but for purposes of protecting should I remove the ticket or just leave as is?
My 2 cents. If you REALLY do not see yourself selling it, leave it as is.

It would need to be removed if you do plan to sell...for max value. Ticket collectors want just the tickets. But collectors of history of the game would be fine leaving it as is.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:23 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Leave it as it is, to save the ticket stub would a impossible task. Keep it as is to keep in mind what your relative intentions were (document history).

Good Luck
Old 04-26-2022, 07:37 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Tool Player View Post
Leave it as it is, to save the ticket stub would a impossible task. Keep it as is to keep in mind what your relative intentions were (document history).

Good Luck
I agree with the "leave it", but do not agree with the "impossible task". It is very possible.

I've done it with a few different tickets. One was a Catfish Hunter Perfect game taped in a program, the other was a Mantle Astrodome 1st game, also taped in a program. Did it with another 1 or 2 as well. It can be done. However there will be tape residue.

But to your point, it can be risky, and depending on how taped it is in the program can also determine the ugliness of it once removed.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:48 PM
Jamie

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your insight. I am going to leave it alone.

As a side note, how would a person try and remove tape without damaging a ticket or a card?
Old 04-27-2022, 06:19 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I appreciate your insight. I am going to leave it alone.

As a side note, how would a person try and remove tape without damaging a ticket or a card?
I've used a blow-dryer / hair dryer - you heat it and the tape can then be peeled off. But again it leaves residue, don't believe there is any way around that.

There may be a YouTube video on it or a thread on the card side I'm sure that may tell more.

If you see a cheap one on Ebay - a ticket taped inside an old scorecard, buy it and practice.