NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2019, 11:47 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Default FYI: New Alteration Detection Methods

Actually, I left the art and artifacts authentication area a while ago-- work in cognitive science now--, am not an active collector, but the current issue has intrigued me.

I've decided to look into scientific ways to identify and scientifically document alterations, including full spectrum light scans to identify many alterations of cards already in holders (as removing the card from a holder is an issue, including concerning voiding the guarantee). I have an idea for the firsts tests, and I'll consider this my pet project.

I don't plan on "starting a company"-- that always seems to be an angle in this hobby--, but, I hope, have techniques that can be used by others to assess cards-- I hope including while they are still in holders. It would be great if there are methods for collectors to examine their own holder cards, and, of course and even better, raw cards, and methods to test the accuracy and quality control of graders.

I also thing advanced scanning systems (not using normal visible light) will not only do well at identifying alterations, but can create images that can be used for others to example, show that the card has been examined thusly, and help document for posterity the card. I tend to see advanced scanning as the wave of the future, and, as the cards has been scanned and the scans readily available, the cards won't even have to be professionally holdered. In art and artifacts, and elsewhere, advanced imaging has been used as security 'marking,' akin to DNA marking.

Further, authentication of cards can be done via looking at really good scans (magnified, large), which means people can have the image of their card scanned then send the images rather than the card itself for authentication. People sometimes send me microscopic images via email so I can identify the printing, etc. And, also, an image is availble for many people in different places to examine-- including of grade.

But I'll start by seeing what alterations can be identified-- as documented as evidence-- using my test systems.

Authenticating Art and Artifacts: An Introduction to Methods

Last edited by drcy; 08-31-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:39 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'll be giving that a good read!

If you were local, I'd like to get together for a long talk, I've read a few cognitive articles, and run into some really interesting firsthand examples of how the identical thing is perceived or not by different people.

I think the high resolution scans are the key, At decent magnification the actual fiber structure of the cardboard can be seen, and that's as good as a fingerprint, maybe even a bit better. That would be a more advanced version of what the blowout guy does in finding unique markers on the reverse, which are mostly darker fibers.
I think a computer could spot stuff like that very easily, and that might be one path to knowing if a card had been seen before and what it looked like then.

The downside is the massive database required. Although I have talked about it with my wife who is in software and she didn't see that as a problem, but did see developing the database as a really major task.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:03 PM
Scott Russell

Yeah even if it wasn't perfect at detection, a near-microscopic record for FUTURE comparisons would be awesome. Down the road it could be concrete evidence of goofiness on par with the individually numbered modern inserts in the current scandal.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-31-2019, 02:45 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If anyone's interested, the peer-reviewed university textbooks in the area where I work now.

Books

But, as anyone who follows my posts on this board, I still have an interest in baseball cards, authenticiy, am a member of SABR's baseball card research committee (though haven't written anything for them in over a year-- but maybe this will be a subject for future contributions), and still give advice photograph advice, including to auction houses, when asked.

Last edited by drcy; 08-31-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:51 PM
Michael S.

Thanks for the contributions, David.

I just purchased the book and am looking forward to the read!!!

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 08-31-2019, 08:38 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'll be giving that a good read!

If you were local, I'd like to get together for a long talk, I've read a few cognitive articles, and run into some really interesting firsthand examples of how the identical thing is perceived or not by different people.

I think the high resolution scans are the key, At decent magnification the actual fiber structure of the cardboard can be seen, and that's as good as a fingerprint, maybe even a bit better. That would be a more advanced version of what the blowout guy does in finding unique markers on the reverse, which are mostly darker fibers.
I think a computer could spot stuff like that very easily, and that might be one path to knowing if a card had been seen before and what it looked like then.

The downside is the massive database required. Although I have talked about it with my wife who is in software and she didn't see that as a problem, but did see developing the database as a really major task.
Yes, I thought of you. I know I can authenticate cards from microscoic images that are sent to me via email.

Also,these scans will be UV to IR, so it will show advanced stuff.

But I'll be doing my testing to see how it works. I know the old saying, don't count the hourse before the card before the chickens have hatched.

Really, the scanning is examining the cards under different forms of light, but with the simultaneous ability to take a digital photograph for documentation.

Last edited by drcy; 08-31-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:13 PM
Rob

Will you be grading all the Yao Ming and Luis Robert cards? Or is this just for pre-war issues? I saw a t206 Jimmy Williams Sov 150 in a 4.5 holder yesterday that I thought was a great card. It was centered perfectly with acceptable flaws that gave it just the right look for a high grade t206. So many t206 in 6 and above holders have obvious flaws, set aside card doctors. They go for tons of money, they are unaltered and they are deeply flawed. Rob
Old 08-31-2019, 10:21 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I will not be doing any grading or become a grading or authenticating company. Just looking into the technology and methods.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:53 AM
Scott Russell

So I've thought about this a lot and I think the way you would see change the quickest is, in a loose sense, akin to how PSA got started (Bear with me!)

Some multi-millionaire who has a complete T206 set gets the entire set microscopically examined and recorded, replacing any with issues. He then does a set break with, let's say, REA. The winner not only gets the cards (in some form of slab) but the digital images of the scans and whatever other pertinent information that is generated.

I think the press would be huge and the 800lb gorillas who have been going after PSA 8's would trample each other to get the first scientifically examined unaltered T206 cards.

Instead of just the Wagner this new company would have a complete set going up for auction with a great auction house and set the collecting world on it's ear.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-01-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:17 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
So I've thought about this a lot and I think the way you would see change the quickest is, in a loose sense, akin to how PSA got started (Bear with me!)

Some multi-millionaire who has a complete T206 set gets the entire set microscopically examined and recorded, replacing any with issues. He then does a set break with, let's say, REA. The winner not only gets the cards (in some form of slab) but the digital images of the scans and whatever other pertinent information that is generated.

I think the press would be huge and the 800lb gorillas who have been going after PSA 8's would trample each other to get the first scientifically examined unaltered T206 cards.

Instead of just the Wagner this new company would have a complete set going up for auction with a great auction house and set the collecting world on it's ear.
that's not a bad idea?
Old 09-01-2019, 10:48 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

There are the more formal raw card examinations, but part of this came to me when people were saying many collectors won't want to have their cards remvoved from the PSA holders, and PSA won't honor a guarantee for a card that has been removed-- which puts the collector in a conundrum.

Certainly, a card can't be fully and wholly examined when it's still in a holder, but I thought it would be useful for techniques that can do an unwhole but productive double check with the card still in the holder. And I know various forms of forensic light can go through the holders.

Though scanning/authenticting/documenting raw cards can of course also be done.

Last edited by drcy; 09-01-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Further, authentication of cards can be done via looking at really good scans (magnified, large), which means people can have the image of their card scanned then send the images rather than the card itself for authentication. People sometimes send me microscopic images via email so I can identify the printing, etc. And, also, an image is availble for many people in different places to examine-- including of grade.
I agree that advanced scans would eliminate a lot of the problems that we've all been reading about as of lately. Advanced scans would also give the collector a very good idea as to what kind of card he is looking at and make a lot of the flaws more visible. However, would advanced scans be able to spot certain alterations, such as pressing for example? Also, how can we see the thickness of a card? I always like to examine the thickness because I can sometimes tell if somebody pressed down the corners and edges.

Is there any special software required in order to view these advanced scans or can I just use Windows Photo Viewer? If I can use WPV, then can I PM you my email address? I would like to see how an advanced scan looks like.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2019, 02:55 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Yes, there are always multiple ways to look at items, with scans being one, though such scanning would very advanced. Though the scans would be looking at the cards in many ways-- microscopic, UV, IR, other.

Ultraviolet and IR viewers and cameras translate the uv or ir light to a human visible form, so anyone could view the images as you view any digital image.

I've long used microscopy (microscope) in authentication. I then bought a digital microscope that took digital pictures of what I was seeing. Plugged into my laptop. Can view, send, share and post the microscopic images just as with any digital image. The same would be with IR and UV photos.

In fact, infrared photography is a popular form of art and hobby photography. The cameras they use are usually normal digital cameras where the insides have been modified to record infrared light. Cameras normas normally have IR blocking filters, and in the modified cameras they are removed.

In art authentication and conservation, IR has long been used because it looks at things in a way that can be seen by human eyes, often being able to identify otherwise invisible foreign material, and because IR can penetrate surface materials like X-rays. It's commonly used in authenticating paintings and reading heavily faded ancient documents.

Duly note that there are forms of light to view cards at. IR, UV and visible light are just the standard ones. There are spectrometers used in authentication and dating that can identify the exact chemicals and compounds in materials.

Last edited by drcy; 09-01-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Yes, I thought of you. I know I can authenticate cards from microscoic images that are sent to me via email.

Also,these scans will be UV to IR, so it will show advanced stuff.

But I'll be doing my testing to see how it works. I know the old saying, don't count the hourse before the card before the chickens have hatched.

Really, the scanning is examining the cards under different forms of light, but with the simultaneous ability to take a digital photograph for documentation.
I don't have a machine that can do that, and I hear they can be pretty expensive...

I did just recently get a very high powered blacklight and will probably use it to take some pics soon. I may wait to pick up a set of red safety glasses.

I may also see about getting a filter to do IR with the phone camera.

I think a solid method of detecting would be a really useful thing for anyone that wanted to use it.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

Come to think of it. would there be interest in a device that would allow inspection with at least normal and UV light from different angles? (Raking light, which is useful for seeing gloss and any ink with some decent dimensionality to it )

I built a prototype of a device very similar a few years ago, and the guy I did it for is thinking of revisiting that device. I'm probably going to be buying materials and the LEDs to light it in the next month or two and making both wouldn't be hard.