NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2002, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Default 33 Goudey reprints

Posted By: jverri01 

Yes, I listed a Ruth and Gehrig lot, both reprints. I hadn't actually looked very closely at these, but several of you were good enough to bring it to my attention. I IMMEDIATELY pulled the listing and returned the cards to the auction house that sent them to me.

Yes, this was a completely innocent mistake on my part. Comments by several of you that I did this intentionally are unwarranted. How about being fair to me for once?

I made a mistake. Plain and simple.

jverri01

Old 06-05-2002, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

With all due respect it seems rather unusual that someone would not closely inspect high value cards like these before listing them on ebay. Besides, if these cards were genuine, why would you list them as one lot? This seems like a recipe to a lower realization.

Old 06-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

To someone who sells Goudeys, these are obvious fakes because the colors are off on the front, aged back doesn't match the front, and black instead of green ink on the back. But James sells almost exclusively pre-WWI cards and I don't think he knew they were fake, for the following reasons:

1. If you are not familiar with the '33 set, they DO look like real cards, although the brown back/white front should likely have still given it away.
2. James knows that if he posted fake cards and he knew they were fake, lots of board members would also know they're fake (as has happened) and would attack because of the "Wagner incident".
3. James values the board and likes to post, so obviously doesn't want #2 to occur.
4. Finally, James sells a lot of cards, I have bought many from him, and not one has been altered in any way. Other than the Wagner thing, I don't know of any other incident involving fakes.
5. I have seen James list several items that he could have sold higher if he had marketed/grouped differently - listing Ruth and Gehrig together might not be brilliant, but it doesn't make him a criminal.

What hasn't happened, and unfortunately will have to before people lay off, is James will have to admit that he doesn't know the '33 Goudey set.

Old 06-05-2002, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john

....i totally agree with Scott,he knows he would get attacked more than most people because of what has happened in the past with him. so i believe he really didnt know that they were reprints. I dont collect that set,and have only looked at a few,only have 1,so im no expert but they didnt look real to me so to me that makes them obvious reprints and someone who deals mainly in vintage cards should know that or at least get a 2nd opinion if they dont know the cards before spending alot of money on them......by the way,it makes feel great to know i bought my only goudey card off james himself,mine is real tho,so he has had these cards before

Old 06-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Administrator

I am only too happy to admit I am no expert on Goudey's. I do not collect them. I did have some I sold a while back - which I acquired in groups from Teletrade and resold individually on Ebay.

These two cards were purchased from chesapeakeauctions.com. I have bid and won many cards from them before, never had any trouble. He never posts scans of backs when listing the weekly items. Only fronts. I bid accordingly. The MINUTE I received emails saying they were reprints - I PULLED the listing. Once I verified they WERE reprints, I immediately requested a refund. The auctioneer claims he has no knowledge of whether a card is authentic or not.

Actually, I don't really care what people think. If you find it hard to believe a person could not look big money cards over carefully - so be it. The truth is that my mother in law died two weeks ago, and I have been travelling between Boston and New York every few days to attend services, memorials, wakes, etc. Of course, you probably don't believe that either. Whatever. These cards were listed hurriedly. I have had alot on my mind, and alot to deal with personally. You find it so hard to believe people make mistakes? Fine, believe what you like.

The truth here is that you guys just don't want me around. You do nothing but throw my feedback right back in my face. I have tried very hard to be diplomatic. But, every time I post a comment, I get slammed.

Clearly, you are above making a mistake. If you think the board is better without my contributions, just say so. I will stay away, if that is truly the concensus.

Old 06-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Purchased from Chesepaeke Auctions, Maryland. www.chesepeakeauctions.com They were in the Friday, May 24th auction. I paid $1,375.00 for the two cards.

But - since you already have "every catalogue from every auction house in the country" - you knew this.

Old 06-05-2002, 02:25 PM
Administrator

sorry...that's chesauction.com

Old 06-05-2002, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

those are some of the plug ugliest reoprints i ever saw of any set at any time. Honest.

Old 06-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

when Charleton Heston goes to kiss Kim Hunter (in ape costume), and she flinches, says, "Sorry. You're so damn ugly."

So why did you buy instead of flinching?

Old 06-05-2002, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< I hadn't even looked closely at these. I admit my error outright. Five minutes after listing them (give or take an hour) I pulled the listing. >>

This is untrue. It was over 7 hours!

Jun-03-02 13:02:15 PDT - Started
Jun-03-02 20:34:59 PDT - Ended

Inconsistency is what earned you the "hot seat" with the Wagner debacle. It's also insulting to the intelligence of those board members who take the time to read such posts.

<< I hadn't actually looked very closely at these, but several of you were good enough to bring it to my attention. I IMMEDIATELY pulled the listing and returned the cards to the auction house that sent them to me. >>

You are in the business to buy and sell. It only makes sense that if you are unsure about a given product, you don't invest into it until you properly educate yourself. Stick to what you know. I'm curious - did you tell the auction house that you tried to pawn these cards off on eBay?

Caveat emptor.

<< Clearly, you are above making a mistake. >>

Of course, but many wouldn't make it a virtue.

Old 06-06-2002, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Only on Goudey's???

James, what happened to my other post?