NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2021, 06:33 PM
Bruce Mattioli

When I was in High School in 1981 I remember a local here in CT burned a 1952 Topps Mantle in protest of the Baseball Strike..
Old 06-05-2021, 07:47 PM

This reminds me, at a high level of generality, of the ivory destruction debate—except the stakes are much lower. Given the exceedingly low ethical stakes, I think destroying T205 Chases is just plain bats**t crazy. But I also respect the rights of the property owner to dispose of property as he/she pleases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_ivory

Last edited by sreader3; 06-05-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:58 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Good thread

Maybe a little tough literal topic about intentionally ruining a card.
If it wasn’t posted on cardboard lovers site , it may have gone in a different direction.

The physical aspect aside from the OP, it’s a good question about the “feelings” you get about the players depicted on the cards.
I’m pretty sure that’s why ALL of us are here.

If you read a story about a hero, you might feel compelled to buy a card of that hero.
If you read a story about a heel, you can decide to NOT collect that guy. Or if your own OCD would allow you a set missing that miscreant. (Mine doesn’t)

To each his own. I’m glad this thread was started and while I can’t condone ruining a card , I understand the intentions.

Phil made an excellent comment about history. It is what it is. (And absolutely is way more complicated than we’ve learned in truncated articles and text books)
We are collecting history! Pretty darn cool IMHO!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:10 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I feel as though this entire thread lends itself nicely into a soliloquy on the current thought of today’s society and reverence of the past.
And the current "cancel culture."
Old 06-06-2021, 01:42 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Tales grow tall over time, especially those of famous folks. And especially after death; have to spice it up.

IN MY OPINION
Old 06-06-2021, 01:58 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Presented, without commentary

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-07-2021, 08:38 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

I think they have therapy for those type of anger issues.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:07 AM
J0hn Collin$

I'm of the school of thought that we should never get too close to baseball players or heroes in general. I am interested in baseball cards because of what the players did on the field. The backstory from there becomes much less important to me. If you don't approach collecting with this type of attitude, that's fine - but you have to remember that players are human beings just like the rest of us and in that regard, many come down way more on the sinner side than saint. Mickey Mantle boozed it up and cheated on his wife. Willie Mays is well known to be less than cordial when at card shows with adoring fans who have spent hours in line waiting to interact with him for about 15 seconds. Then you have the other big name athletes who are almost more famous for something they did off the field - included here would be the likes of O.J. Simpson and Pete Rose.

I guess you just have to determine what does and does not bother you. I don't need to agree with every waking minute of a player's conduct off the field in order to collect baseball cards. Were that the case, I'd probably need to go get rid of 2/3 of my collection. I will admit I don't like Barry Bonds, but I still have tons of his cards.

PS - one of my main boyhood heroes - Ryne Sandberg of the Cubs - is now endorsing cannabis products and marijuana derivatives. The jokes about Ryno the pothead have already made their first waves on the interwebs. Am I suddenly supposed to rip up his cards and give this newest turn of direction precedence over the fact that he's one of the greatest second basemen of all time? I mean, I could. But I'm not going to.

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-07-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:16 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Honus Wagner ate babies for lunch. It is a little known fact.......so.......Bring'em.

...and don't get me started on that Ruth guy

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-07-2021, 12:08 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post

...Am I suddenly supposed to rip up his cards...

No.

You're supposed to take the card, cut it up, and flush it.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-07-2021, 12:26 PM
J@mes In.gram

The next time I go into an extreme over-reaction over a card, I hereby promise I won't cut it up and flush it, or otherwise destroy it, rather, I will offer it up via this forum. If it hppens, I will probably just give it away, free. Fair enough? I seriously do not think it will ever happen again, however.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:01 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
The next time I go into an extreme over-reaction over a card, I hereby promise I won't cut it up and flush it, or otherwise destroy it, rather, I will offer it up via this forum. If it hppens, I will probably just give it away, free. Fair enough? I seriously do not think it will ever happen again, however.
As a counterpoint to my sometimes annoying brand of humor, allow me to offer this:

Most of us have done something asinine with at least a few of our cards. Whether or not they'l admit it, at some point in their lives, Net54 board members have destroyed cards in bicycle spokes, lit them on fire (I haven't done that in a while...I swear) or thrown them away.

And yes, some people have torn or cut them up. Occasionally, it happens by accident when opening an envelope. Other times, the act is purposeful. I imagine more than a few Barry Bonds cards got destroyed on August 7, 2007. As an aside, the board would likely have cheered and given you a round of applause if you flushed cardboard depicting the "home run king."

Your post likely struck a chord with people because the card was a player many of us collect...from a set that many of us collect. In my humble opinion, it was rather like watching someone light their cigar with a hundred dollar bill.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-07-2021, 01:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
We have all made mistakes, me more than most. Count it as a lesson learned and move on. It won't be in your top 100 mistakes you ever make. Not a big deal. Happy Collecting....just don't buy anymore Chase cards

Old 06-07-2021, 01:04 PM

I like tacos
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:16 PM

I think it's probably best not to destroy cards. I would suggest looking into players before buying and then not buying cards you don't want as an alternative.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:13 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Definitely crazy, possibly but probably not unethical. If you do decide to destroy more cards, Marcell Ozuna wouldn't be a bad choice IMO.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:58 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

When I first joined here, there was a thread where a member asked about burning a T206. Someone said they’d be ok with it if there was something gained from it, like burning an original and a reprint to observe the differences in the flame color, which can tell you what materials were used in the inks. I can’t find it now, but I thought it was an interesting take.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
Recently I bought 4 t205 and 2 t206 cards. One of the t205s was Hal Chase. In looking all these fellows up, I did not like what I read about Chase. He made Cicotte, Gandil, Weaver, et al, look like kindergarten. Not a very likeable guy at all. So I took that card and cut it up, and flushed it. I ask you, was that crazy? Have any of you gone and done something extreme like that? In putting my 53 Bowman color set together, I came across Solly Hemus and Enos Slaughter. I don't like those guys either, and the only reason I am keeping them is in order to have a complete set.
What exactly did the guy do? I haven't heard of too many OJ rookies being shredded. Was he worse than that?
Old 06-07-2021, 07:47 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
What exactly did the guy do? I haven't heard of too many OJ rookies being shredded. Was he worse than that?
He was frequently accused of working with gamblers and deliberately tanking plays for personal profit.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-07-2021, 07:50 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Here's a SABR article on Chase. It's bound to be intersting when the opening sentence is, "Hal Chase, whose big league career lasted from 1905 to 1919, was the most notoriously corrupt player in baseball history."

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/hal-chase/

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-07-2021, 07:56 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We have all made mistakes, me more than most. Count it as a lesson learned and move on. It won't be in your top 100 mistakes you ever make. Not a big deal. Happy Collecting....just don't buy anymore Chase cards

Let's not be too harsh now Leon...
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken Chase.jpg (16.3 KB, 232 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-07-2021, 08:32 PM
Dan Bretta

C. Stupid
Old 06-07-2021, 08:44 PM
D0NN1E B

Hal Chase was a damn fine ballplayer, led the league in hitting once, damn fine ballplayer !
Old 06-07-2021, 09:04 PM
Frank Wakefield

Redlegs manager Christy Mathewson wasn't happy with Chase as a player for the Redlegs... yet Mathewson didn't cut him into little pieces or cut him from the team.

On the other hand, at least cutting up that card took some passion. Card collectors with a bit of energy about these old cards can be a good thing!

An odd aspect of The Monster that surprised me was that I'd be hunting for a certain card, looking and looking (and lots of that looking pre-eBay), and there was an excitement in the hunt. And a bit more of excitement opening the mail. But then the card would go in a binder, box, envelope or stack, and that card was forgotten; all because some new yet attained card would become the target of the next search. The Monster's size exacerbates that.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:00 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
PS - one of my main boyhood heroes - Ryne Sandberg of the Cubs - is now endorsing cannabis products and marijuana derivatives. The jokes about Ryno the pothead have already made their first waves on the interwebs. Am I suddenly supposed to rip up his cards and give this newest turn of direction precedence over the fact that he's one of the greatest second basemen of all time? I mean, I could. But I'm not going to.
Light up a Sandberg rookie, inhale deeply, and see what happens!
Old 06-07-2021, 11:33 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Life is simpler for those of us who don't feel compelled to scrutinize other peoples' lives for the purpose of passing judgement. Especially people who are dead.

I wouldn't want Hal Chase as a business partner or drinking buddy but I have some cards with him on them. He's part of history.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A property may do what they want with their property.

I do not think it reasonable to destroy a card for this reason.

I do not see how one can collect cards of this era, know who Chase is to buy a card, and not know he was corrupt. It's one of the most commonly written about things of c. 1910 baseball, that Hal Chase pretty openly and continuously rigged his play and games.

But, I also don't get why baseball collectors specifically go after generally bad people and pay a premium for that fact. Chick Gandil had a 103 OPS+, about a league average bat at first base. He sells for more than some hall of famers, purely because he did a very bad thing. Eddie Cicotte and Vic Willis are very, very similar pitchers statistically. One cheated and was banned, one made the Hall. Vic sells for quite a bit less than the bad boy. Immorality seems to generally make people more interested in that players cards, not less. I'd subscribe it to "any name recognition influences value", except that the bad boys often outsell clean hall of famers with similar name recognition. I do not get this, but I don't get a lot of things.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:55 AM
R@y H0lmes

What you have to ask yourself is, what would Jesus do?

Old 06-08-2021, 09:05 AM

Turn the Chase into a Cobb and sell it on eBay.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:04 PM
D Brown

I'm going to vote "not crazy."

I work mostly with books and photos, not cards, and I have definitely avoided owning some kinds of objectionable or offensive things and, occasionally, destroyed or thrown them away when they showed up in lots or collections. Even when there was money to be made.

We don't talk a lot about the karma that objects have, but that's kind of why we are all here, right? (Right!) And if you think some object has bad karma, you should do something about it.

I had not thought about that in relation to cards until now, but you learn something new every day.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:40 PM
Bruce Mattioli Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
When I was in High School in 1981 I remember a local here in CT burned a 1952 Topps Mantle in protest of the Baseball Strike..
gonna have to prove that one
Old 06-08-2021, 09:23 PM

Make of it what you will.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ll-cards-1981/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli86 View Post
gonna have to prove that one
Old 06-08-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
We don't talk a lot about the karma that objects have, but that's kind of why we are all here, right? (Right!) And if you think some object has bad karma, you should do something about it.
I’m not sure that I am here because of karma, but to each his own.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:50 PM
Bruce Mattioli Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo Aullando View Post

Wow!!! Appreciate the link!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2021, 05:48 AM
Mark

Coming in the board to post something like this sounds like a massive effort if "virtue signaling"

Seriously, why would you want to come here with a question like that unless you wanted people to think how wonderful your morals were?
Old 06-12-2021, 08:16 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo Aullando View Post
I wonder if he lived long enough to learn the magnitude of his decision?

And if you think that's bad....I distinctly remember shredding all my Roger Staubach cards as a kid because he led the Cowboys to at least 3 Super Bowls my Rams should've been in.

Well maybe not quite the same...
Old 06-12-2021, 12:22 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Evil walks amongst us at Net54.