NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2021, 11:21 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
To some extent, the folks who are enchanted with graded cards and the number grades enable the crap of which some complain. Maybe break cards out of that plastic; and return to the joy of having the card, instead of the joy of the slab (as if there's any joy in that). And if you're buying that altered / doctored / regraded card, buy the CARD, and break it outa the deceptive slab as soon as you get it.

If you're upset with the altering and regrading, add to that being upset with your own faith in the third party grading; and then quit financially supporting it.
You just outlined exactly what I do if a card on my want-list happens to reside in a slab. It gets broken out the minute I receive it.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, the exponentially ridiculous prices people pay for a card with corners that might have a microscopic difference in wear. Aside from the high likelihood of it being altered... who the hell cares anyway? The lower graded card often has a clearer image or better focus. It's just someone else's (often flawed) opinion.

I'll take the "7" and a new SUV over the likely altered "10" (with no new car) any day of the week. And I will free the "7" from it's corporate looking bar-coded case as soon as it arrives.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:38 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
You just outlined exactly what I do if a card on my want-list happens to reside in a slab. It gets broken out the minute I receive it.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, the exponentially ridiculous prices people pay for a card with corners that might have a microscopic difference in wear. Aside from the high likelihood of it being altered... who the hell cares anyway? The lower graded card often has a clearer image or better focus. It's just someone else's (often flawed) opinion.

I'll take the "7" and a new SUV over the likely altered "10" (with no new car) any day of the week. And I will free the "7" from it's corporate looking bar-coded case as soon as it arrives.
I agree looking for the Holy Grail Of a Card near perfect is assine it is all Opinions of a third party grading system that some of them dont know their ass from a hole in aground and Opinions are like Ass holes Everyone has one

Ron Petersen

Last edited by rgpete; 05-31-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:28 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I don't understand the high grade game at all when a 0.5 difference in a grade can mean a $10K+ difference in price with some cards. But I do like the look of my prewar cards in SGC holders a lot. I have PSA cards too, but I have those because I needed the card and it happened to be in a PSA slab. My cards are all low grade and have no chance of being altered to get a 0.5 grade bump for more money.

I don't like the fraud and altering of cards for a higher grade or when a seller knowingly sells an altered card with half assed disclaimers that a grading company reviewed the card and still graded it the same way. That's just crap and says a lot about the ethics of the seller.

Andy Hunt00n

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-31-2021, 02:32 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
That’s True... I may not like it But I Accept it.
But you DO like it enough to accept it.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Another PSA review blessing a BODA outed card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224481122793?nordt=true

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1423729

WE control the horizontal. WE control the vertical.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-31-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

This is how you end-run BODA, just whitewash the whole damn thing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:44 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

None of this is surprising.

PSA's very first grade was corrupted. They've shown a strong disdain for fixing mistakes and correcting the process ever since.

And PWCC? The ones who overlook/encourage shill bidding and then come in here with sanctimonious promises to fix Ebay?

PSA and PWCC ignoring the fraudulent pedigree of this card, or any other, is about as surprising as the sun coming up and only slightly less frequent or regular.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:10 AM
Matt

https://www.cnn.com/style/amp/salvat...ntl/index.html
Old 06-01-2021, 07:46 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default why people pay crazy money

Quote:

this same card could have been bought for
50% of the sale price two years ago
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40273928285...oAAOSw7fJgSBB~

no stocks , bit coin or other general open to the public investments could reap the same margins , and who among you would buy a Jordan Rookie UNSLABBED ?

Last edited by megalimey; 06-01-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:06 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post

...who among you would buy a Jordan Rookie UNSLABBED ?
I'd buy an unslabbed Jordan I can examine in-hand. These days, it's probably safer than buying a slabbed one online.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-01-2021, 10:56 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I know it will have very little. (None) effect. But I will take the time to email PSA and say that this behavior is not acceptable. Their corporate mission is to prevent altered cards from being sold in the market (LOL). If they are going to condone this behavior then they have failed. And if they have failed to continue to take money from people for a service they know they cannot or will not provide, that sounds like fraud. A class action suit would get their attention alot faster than another FBI investigation. And cards like this make it easy for jurors to understand. ( Although with prices going up it would be hard to prove damages)
Jmho
Jonathan Sterling

Last edited by bigfanNY; 06-01-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Isn't it well past time we all finally admit that PSA is part of the problem?

What are the chances the investigation can end in a RICO type charge? And how could we influence that?

And did taking the company private make it easier to hide their part in things?
Old 06-01-2021, 04:30 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Isn't it well past time we all finally admit that PSA is part of the problem?

What are the chances the investigation can end in a RICO type charge? And how could we influence that?

And did taking the company private make it easier to hide their part in things?
My Prediction Nothing Will Happen.....
Old 06-01-2021, 06:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

At least earlier you had the feeling some of the BODA-outed cards were returned to the consignor, taken out of circulation, bought back and sent to law enforcement, whatever. Not any more, apparently. Reaffirm and relist. Keep the party going. Brian, I sure hope there are going to be consequences at some point.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-01-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:14 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
PSA's very first grade was corrupted.
Every time the opinion sellers sell an opinion an angel gets it's wings, laughs out loud...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagner-00000001.jpg (77.5 KB, 477 views)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:21 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Every time the opinion sellers sell an opinion an angel gets it's wings, laughs out loud...
It's a Wonderful Scam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jimmy Stewart.jpg (51.1 KB, 457 views)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:24 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post
this same card could have been bought for
50% of the sale price two years ago
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40273928285...oAAOSw7fJgSBB~

no stocks , bit coin or other general open to the public investments could reap the same margins , and who among you would buy a Jordan Rookie UNSLABBED ?
I am probably a minority, but I would buy and have bought a major card unslabbed. In fact, I pay extra for an unslabbed card. There is always some small element of risk in cracking it out, and it's annoying, so unless it's a very rare or unique item, I bid 5% for a less slabbed card than I will the same card unslabbed.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:31 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Indeed. The bottom line is that having a pool of cards with much higher grades than they would be in their natural state is a win win win for everyone except those of us who actually care.

So I make my perfunctory semi-annual visit to Net54 just to see what's going on and it is truly astounding that the "hobby" has devolved to such a deplorable state of affairs with voluminous unconscionable business practices with no corrective action in sight and yet cards are still escalating in price. How mind-boggling.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 06-04-2021, 05:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
So I make my perfunctory semi-annual visit to Net54 just to see what's going on and it is truly astounding that the "hobby" has devolved to such a deplorable state of affairs with voluminous unconscionable business practices with no corrective action in sight and yet cards are still escalating in price. How mind-boggling.
As your nom de 54 says so well, Dan, it's no longer really a hobby. When it was, originality mattered, because people were mostly in it for love of the cards, and altering a card without disclosure violated every norm by creating artificially improved cards and skewing the natural stratification of cards according to how well they had survived. New cards out of packs all more or less looked the same, so nobody really cared about whether under a loupe they were mint or gem mint. With the overwhelming shift of focus to value, cards are commodities and originality matters much less. That's all it is.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-04-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
As your nom de 54 says so well, Dan, it's no longer really a hobby. When it was, originality mattered, because people were mostly in it for love of the cards, and altering a card without disclosure violated every norm by creating artificially improved cards and skewing the natural stratification of cards according to how well they had survived. New cards out of packs all more or less looked the same, so nobody really cared about whether under a loupe they were mint or gem mint. With the overwhelming shift of focus to value, cards are commodities and originality matters much less. That's all it is.
Well then how do you explain why a PSA 9 sells for infinitely more than a PSA "A"? Those collectors with deep pockets and blind reliance on TPGs must care somewhat about "originality" in order to be driving up the prices of these perceived high grade cards. If originality matters much less these days, why not just buy the "A" graded card for 1/100th the price?
Old 06-04-2021, 07:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Well then how do you explain why a PSA 9 sells for infinitely more than a PSA "A"? Those collectors with deep pockets and blind reliance on TPGs must care somewhat about "originality" in order to be driving up the prices of these perceived high grade cards. If originality matters much less these days, why not just buy the "A" graded card for 1/100th the price?
The FLIP matters. People buying the 9 largely don't care IMO if the card is altered, but a 9 flip is infinitely better than an A flip. The flip is the commodity, to quote myself.

If originality matters as much as it used to, why have card prices soared despite clear and massive revelations of trimmed and recolored cards in TPG holders with grades? To the point where any buyer not well-versed in alterations and not doing major due diligence cannot reasonably assume an expensive card is original.

But you know this. Was this a rhetorical question perhaps?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-04-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
The FLIP matters. People buying the 9 largely don't care IMO if the card is altered, but a 9 flip is infinitely better than an A flip. The flip is the commodity, to quote myself.

If originality matters as much as it used to, why have card prices soared despite clear and massive revelations of trimmed and recolored cards in TPG holders with grades? To the point where any buyer not well-versed in alterations and not doing major due diligence cannot reasonably assume an expensive card is original.

But you know this. Was this a rhetorical question perhaps?
Yeah.... 50% semantics, 40% exasperation, 10% sarcasm.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

And again.
Damn this one is bad.
Wut up with PSA?
Eye appeal sticker indeed, Brentsy.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1461716

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:29 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Over the Past Couple Of Years The Blowout Guys Doing this have been doing great work.

I think it’s time for a Book to be Written About All This........

It’s sadly Fascinating......it just needs a really catchy title ?????

Any ideas
Old 06-05-2021, 06:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Over the Past Couple Of Years The Blowout Guys Doing this have been doing great work.

Any ideas
"Bad Medicine: How Card Doctors Ruined the Hobby"

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Any ideas
"Stuff Trumps All"

LOL

Old 06-05-2021, 07:21 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

Any ideas
The many sordid tales of cutting up cards...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-05-2021, 08:42 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

"Low Moral Character"
My journey as a Fraud

As I sat in my jail cell contemplating a way I was going to explain to my kids how I thought so little of myself and them that these were the decisions I made that landed me here. I wondered why I thought my arrogance and ego were enough to fool everybody...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-05-2021, 10:27 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
"Bad Medicine: How Card Doctors Ruined the Hobby"
The opinion sellers are just as bad

Last edited by doug.goodman; 06-05-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:56 AM

Default maybe ?

..." never get cheated "

Old 06-06-2021, 01:16 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default I'll Go With...

Dr. Fraud: My Life as a Cutup
Old 06-06-2021, 04:04 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Silence the Armchair Detectives
Old 06-07-2021, 09:35 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
When Purdue Pharma and other pharmaceutical companies came under fire for the opioid crisis they went out and hired the best lawyers they could, lawyers who previously worked for the government and the DEA fighting the opioid problem. This is exactly the tactic PWCC used. They shut up one of their most vocal critics with a paycheck. Sad.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:13 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:

Any ideas
How about, "Failing Grades: The PSA Story" ?

In my opinion, a feature length video documentary that can be viewed on a major streaming outlet (ie Netflix or Amazon Prime, etc.) would make a greater impact than a book.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 06-07-2021, 03:58 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
How about, "Failing Grades: The PSA Story" ?

In my opinion, a feature length video documentary that can be viewed on a major streaming outlet (ie Netflix or Amazon Prime, etc.) would make a greater impact than a book.

Agree
Old 06-07-2021, 04:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

In lieu of that how about a video of Nat Turner?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Cbq8W98MY&t=1s

35 minute mark or so, scandal discussion. Warning you may be disappointed.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-07-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:26 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
In lieu of that how about a video of Nat Turner?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Cbq8W98MY&t=1s

35 minute mark or so, scandal discussion. Warning you may be disappointed.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

What a lying sack of.... to say that grading standards haven't changed and it's all newbies sending in cards complaining about grades is complete BS. It's on every forum, experienced submitters are getting the shaft. Especially on high dollar cards.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 06-07-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post

What a lying sack of.... to say that grading standards haven't changed and it's all newbies sending in cards complaining about grades is complete BS. It's on every forum, experienced submitters are getting the shaft. Especially on high dollar cards.
"Won't Get Fooled Again" would actually be a perfect title, whether it's a Book, Movie, TV Documentary or otherwise.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
"Won't Get Fooled Again" would actually be a perfect title, whether it's a Book, Movie, TV Documentary or otherwise.
Except that we (collectively) do get fooled again and again.

Deny, minimize, deflect. Why not, it works.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-08-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post

+1 ... standards have changed unless it's a T206 Wags....

And back to the subject a little bit. How can anyone in the world think that PWCC having their bidders be private is anything but a cover for shills? Hopefully the FBI will make all the fraudsters pay, whomever they are.

Last edited by Leon; 06-08-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

And back to the subject a little bit. How can anyone in the world think that PWCC having their bidders be private is anything but a cover for shills? Hopefully the FBI will make all the fraudsters pay, whomever they are.

Every non-ebay auction house has their bidders private too. Maybe Brentsy is just becoming state of the art.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-08-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:03 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

It's also an effort to thwart BODA. One less piece of information to help them ferret things out.

Of course if I were PWCC I"d argue that REA, Heritage and Goldin aren't obligated to reveal their bidders.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-08-2021, 12:06 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Every non-ebay auction house has their bidders private too. Maybe Brentsy is just becoming state of the art.
OK beat me to it. It's actually policy at many auctions (mine included) to not reveal bidders or sellers. It's a privacy issue, if you reveal bidders then everyone from collectors to dealers to criminals who want to break in and steal things can target them. It's just a bad look to be selling in one manner for years, and then as the noose starts to tighten you start changing the way you do business to become increasingly opaque.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 06-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
OK beat me to it. It's actually policy at many auctions (mine included) to not reveal bidders or sellers. It's a privacy issue, if you reveal bidders then everyone from collectors to dealers to criminals who want to break in and steal things can target them. It's just a bad look to be selling in one manner for years, and then as the noose starts to tighten you start changing the way you do business to become increasingly opaque.
What's the rationale for not revealing consignors, e.g. card doctors? (Not you I know you don't knowingly take cards from them, I mean in general.)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-08-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
What's the rationale for not revealing consignors, e.g. card doctors? (Not you I know you don't knowingly take cards from them, I mean in general.)
That is so easy to fix though. Give your friend the card to consign. I would say there is close to a 100% chance that is happening.

Last edited by Leon; 06-08-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:27 PM
J0hn Collin$

Dang it. And to think I have to go home to my PSA 6 Carter RC that I paid $40 or so for...
Old 06-08-2021, 01:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That is so easy to fix though. Give your friend the card to consign. I would say there is close to a 100% chance that is happening.

Not sure these scumbags have friends outside their own circle.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:51 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Really a similar rationale. You're calling attention to someone who may have a lot of money, a lot of cards or both. Anonymity is actually the norm in the auction world. Unless the owner adds some cachet to the sale you can go all the way up to Christies and Sothebys and anonymity is the general rule.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Conservation rules. A fine conserved asset.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1470269

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-08-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Really a similar rationale. You're calling attention to someone who may have a lot of money, a lot of cards or both. Anonymity is actually the norm in the auction world. Unless the owner adds some cachet to the sale you can go all the way up to Christies and Sothebys and anonymity is the general rule.
It's sure done the hobby a lot of good, letting card doctors and their enablers run amok without repercussions.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-08-2021 at 05:39 PM.