NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2021, 07:03 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

In the movie 'Mask', the title character was completing a 1955 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers set.

y2tcqpr6xqgm.jpg

In a more recent movie, 'The Accountant', the title character was sometimes paid for his 'work' with Baseball Cards and he had some pricey ones in a drawer.

L1aHa.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 01-03-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:26 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Actually, this probably covers it all:

https://baseballcardbreakdown.blogsp...es-and-tv.html

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-04-2021, 09:31 AM
Tom S

I remember watching an early Dick Van Dyke Show episode a few years back. Richie was playing with Baseball Cards. They were from 1961 which is the first year of the show.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:03 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by skil55voy View Post
The Sandlot:

The Babe taking Aaron's 54 Rookie card. The scene at the kitchen table at breakfast and a full box of Post Cereal from 1962 with cards on back.

The box box was borrowed for the scene from Dr. James McAvoy.

I think there was also a '62 Lou Brock pinned up in the treehouse
Old 01-04-2021, 03:11 PM
J0hn Collin$

It's not a tv show, but a commercial I've been trying to find forever and can't. I want to say it was a Hallmark commercial, but since I have never been able to find it on YouTube or otherwise throughout the years, it's possible I'm wrong. Anyway, this would have been from the holiday season of around 1988 if I'm remembering correctly - but the premise is there is a girl that is a baseball (softball?) player and for gifts everyone knows she's a tomboy, but it's one special uncle who gives her baseball stuff. At the end of the commercial there is a '52 Topps card (I'm not sure who...but I want to say a Cardinal...) tacked to her dresser. It was just a neat, nostalgic piece - maybe she also got a catcher's mitt for Christmas? I did too around the same time, maybe that's why I remember it so fondly.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:14 PM
J0hn Collin$

I did see also mentioned earlier the '58 Mantle All-Star in Stand By Me. The error there is the '60 Yogi Berra that is with it. (The movie was set in 1959).

Also with Stephen King's Needful Things - the card in the book interestingly enough is a '56 Koufax, not Mantle. I guess the Hollywood folks thought Mantle would play better on the big screen. Also if you read the book, you will pick up enough about Stephen King's description of the young boy as a card collector to know that he can do good research as an author -- but he's no card collector himself. "Fleers" and some fictional "Lucky Strike" cards?

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-04-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:37 PM

I remember in the movie House Guest with Sinbad and Phil Hartman, Sinbad's character had some kind of baseball card scheme and there's a scene where a bunch of boxes of cards get delivered to his house.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:42 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
In the movie 'Mask', the title character was completing a 1955 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers set.

Attachment 433797

In a more recent movie, 'The Accountant', the title character was sometimes paid for his 'work' with Baseball Cards and he had some pricey ones in a drawer.

Attachment 433795

MASK with Rocky and his Dodgers wall is great. I watched that movie over and over as a kid, at first admittedly just because there were cards in it. Rocky talks about the '55 Dodgers but if you look closely, he also has '56 Topps cards as part of that collection. Love the scene with Cher ripping up a card - I think it is a '74 Ron Cey? And then Rocky's prized possession on his wall is obviously the '55 Jackie. If the movie was set in the late 70's that was probably a $15 or so card then. Oh and then his grandpa brings him a '55 Bowman Pee Wee but drives a thumb tack straight thru the card itself...classic.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-04-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:48 PM
Bill K@sel

Pride of the Yankees. One of my all time favorite movies. In the opening a young Lou Gherig is asking some other kids to play baseball. He says he has some baseball cards he will give them for an at bat...one of which is "Babe Ruth? A Rookie!"...classic line from a classic movie. I think they mention Hans Wagner as well, but my memory may be failing me. I'll have to bust out the DVD and re-watch it.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:02 PM
Bobw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkm_bky View Post
Pride of the Yankees. One of my all time favorite movies. In the opening a young Lou Gherig is asking some other kids to play baseball. He says he has some baseball cards he will give them for an at bat...one of which is "Babe Ruth? A Rookie!"...classic line from a classic movie. I think they mention Hans Wagner as well, but my memory may be failing me. I'll have to bust out the DVD and re-watch it.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:37 PM

Default Americans

I noticed in several episodes the boy has baseball cards tacked above his bed, supposed to take place in 1980 or 81-ish, I think I remember it being a 1987 Topps All Star card.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:40 PM

Default Criminal Minds

There was also an episode of Criminal Minds, one of the first two or three, where Spencer solves a riddle involving a 1963 Topps Nellie Fox.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:37 PM
J0hn Collin$

In the movie "Iron Eagle" from 1986, (Jason Gedrick, Lou Gossett Jr...) Doug's kid brother is in a scene where he is talking to a girl on the phone in his room pretending he's older. There are lots of 1985 Topps cards up on the walls. This led me as a 9 year old kid to subsequently tack up '86 Topps cards on my bulletin board walls, I'm assuming at some point after I saw the movie. Some survive in my collection to this day, only slightly worse for the wear with the thumbtack hole as a reminder. I think one is Reggie as a California Angel, and some of the box bottom cutouts that year (Rose, Fernando Valenzuela...) that I still have also have the thumbtack hole.

Thankfully the movie / me as a collector came out when they did, and not say in...1952.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-05-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangsKards View Post
There was also an episode of Criminal Minds, one of the first two or three, where Spencer solves a riddle involving a 1963 Topps Nellie Fox.
Season 1, about episode 20...watching it now!
Old 06-12-2021, 07:27 AM
Bill K@sel

Anyone watch Loki this week and notice the T206 Honus Wagner card in the drawer full of infinity stones at the TVA? Obvious reprint, of course!

Bill
Old 11-26-2021, 09:48 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
A couple of years ago on an episode of Better Call Saul - one of the cohorts had his valuable collection of 50s baseball cards stolen. When he got them back and went through them to confirm they were all there, it was obvious they were a box of 90s commons.
Bumping as I’m finally getting around to watching Better Call Saul. The whole episode was devoted to this guy getting his baseball cards back. Pretty funny as I can relate. If this happened to me, I’d go to the cops too. He’s spouting off names and cards that would be upsetting to have had stolen.

Anyway, another weird movie fact I saw a few years ago (2018). While watching Creed, they show Pardon the Interruption on tv, which happens to show that Patriots vs. Eagles on the bottom line. This was the Super Bowl matchup in 2018. Cool thing is, Creed was made three years earlier in 2015! Great prognostication? Cool that I happened to watch this movie shortly after the 2018 Super Bowl, so it stood out to me.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 11-26-2021, 10:46 PM
Bob C.

How about 'Cop Out' from 2010 with Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan. Willis is a cop who loses his 1952 Topps - Andy Pafko card #1, and spends the whole movie trying to get it back so can sell it to help pay for his daughter's wedding.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:08 AM
Eugene
Eug,ene St.ump

I remember watching an episode of Dennis the Menace where he had a 1955 Topps Koufax.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:30 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Wow this is a fun thread.

Watch many of those and never paid attention pretty cool

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-27-2021, 11:44 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Xtandi commercial....

Just saw a new Xtandi (drug) commercial and a guy named Karl Foster plays catch with a kid then shows him a box with his baseball card in it. It was a fantasy 1980 topps card and showed him playing for the Armadillos.

Pretty cool commercial with a card that never existed but showed him playing catch with a neighbor kid which was cool.

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 11-27-2021 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:47 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

CONTENT ADVISORY: NON-SPORT CARD RELATED, WITH SPOILER

Everybody Loves Raymond, season 4, episode 17, "Hackidu," original airdate 2/21/00

Synopsis (cut-and-pasted from Wikipedia, slightly edited and supplemted by me): In a spoof of the Pokémon craze, Ray's daughter Ally makes a Hackidu card trade (all of her cards for one Scramisaur card) which Ray does not agree with. He reverses the trade, only to find out that the Scramisaur card that Ally was getting is actually very rare and an expensive. Ally is devastated and to make it right, Ray buys her a Scramisaur from an eccentric card shop owner. Ray presents the mint condition card to Ally, who promptly folds it and puts it in her pocket.

Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 12-05-2021 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:27 PM
Robert Williams

I remember Magnum PI had an episode once involving a 1954 Al Kaline rookie card.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:48 PM

George Costanza has good taste.
Rewatching Seinfeld and saw these beauties in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 6.03.07 PM.jpg (11.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 12-07-2021, 02:28 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Sort of tangential, but I just watched 'Psych: The Musical' and one of the songs randomly mentions Harold Baines (this was before he made The Hall).

The coroner sings about his cheating wife..."Think your wife was not with White Sox slugger, Harold Baines...it's the opposite of that, he even left behind his bat."

And then Shawn says, "The real question here is, who still has a Harold Baines bat?"

Completely and utterly random.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:41 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Cards on TV

Here's a couple of more:

Dick York in a Alfred Hitchcock episode from 1961 called the Doubtful Doctor. He has blackouts and his life reverts back 2years. He buys what appears to be 1957 Topps baseball cards from a kid.

Leave it to Beaver, Wally gets a job at the soda fountain in the town drugstore. When Beaver, Gilbert and another come into get sodas they can't pay. When Wally tries to get them to pay, Gilbert empty's his pockets and there are 59 Topps Baseball cards dropped on the counter, episode: Wally's Weekend Job.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:37 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

It's Garry Shandling's Show - "Foul Ball" (season 1, episode 4), original airdate 10/1/86, has a couple of interesting scenes.

At the top of the show, Garry talks about looking forward to going to a ballgame. To get in the mood he shows the audience his baseball card collection, and during the opening credits they show closeups of some of the cards. (2:11 in the linked video)

Later, there's a scene where Garry and his neighbor's son are looking over their cards. Garry offers the kid a Mickey Mantle, a Roger Maris, and $10 for a Dwight Gooden card. ("It cost me a lot, but Dwight Gooden is really a rare card.") (13:51)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7qrz9n