NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Tolstoi and T206

Curious as to how a Russian cigarette company ended up containing T206's. Were Tolstoi sold in the U.S.? Would appreciate any info.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

Tolstoi wasn't actually Russian. There would have been some feature that made them "Russian", possibly the mouthpiece. I'm not quite up on my 1910 era cigarette terminology.

Similarly, Turkish trophies weren't actually Turkish. I think in that case it was the sort of mixture of tobacco that made it fit a certain marketing niche.

Steve B
Old 10-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

The Romanovs were big baseball fans.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I just read this within the past few weeks & I think it was from another board member, maybe Scott Reader? But Tolstoi, is just another American Tobacco Company brand. I think, if memory is correct it was a blend of lighter and darker tobacco leaves. If I can recall where I read it, I'll try to post the article. I think I found it on T206 Resource.com, but not sure.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Ronald Goldberg

We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This might help a bit...and the one with the stamp on back is dated 1909....

Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Ron Rice

Default Smokers

Smokers at that time were fascinated by exotic brands about faraway lands. So American Tobacco Company kept creating cigarette brands to make smokers feel like they were world travelers going to places like India, Russia, Turkey, or Egypt.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Bryan M1ll3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
Smokers at that time were fascinated by exotic brands about faraway lands. So American Tobacco Company kept creating cigarette brands to make smokers feel like they were world travelers going to places like India, Russia, Turkey, or Egypt.
Thanks for the nugget of knowledge. I've been wondering about that for a while but never looked into it.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
I believe at that time, ATC was facing fierce competition from Turkish tobacco companies. That is the only reason they brought back cigarette premiums after a decades long absence. Perhaps Tolstoi was created around that time to counter the competition from Turkey?