NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM
George

I have never seen an original one but doesn't seem right and biggest thing in my mind is that the overall dimensions are off. Even with 1/8" added back to all sides it's still smaller than the dimensions of an original '33 Goudey. It's also hard to tell the material used for the actual image. Just my opinion and I'm sure others who know what they're talking about can chime in here.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Scott

that's cloth (notice the threads sticking out on left border)

not a half-tone printing plate
Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
that's cloth (notice the threads sticking out on left border)

not a half-tone printing plate
Check out the side view.

Not cloth.

But it's not an original plate from 1933. Goudeys were lithographed like so many other cards, and that block is for typography. The surface is etched metal. This one looks like a newer one using copper plated zinc. The old ones were copper surfaced, but a solid sheet, and usually a bit thinner.

So it's probably from some book or small circulation magazine that showed a 33 Lajoie.

Similar to these one from Mccarthy postcards.

Reversed images are for for direct printing - lower production. The ones McCarthy used were for typography to offset. No reversal, higher production since the plates don't get worn as easily.

Steve B
Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 PM

It almost looks like canvas.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

This item isn't even worthy of a thread. It isn't remotely real or realistic. It isn't even nice looking. It resembles a swatch of denim someone run through his computer printer.

Last edited by drcy; 10-10-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Rob

I agree with Steve on this one. I think it's a woodblock that was used to print up a flyer circa 1960s-70s. I have seen these for many card issues show up on ebay.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Rob

zincograph or zincocut like a linocut or woodcut I believe.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
I agree. Sorry for starting it. If someone (moderator) can please delete this thread that would be great because I can not. I just thought it was a strange Ebay auction to spot and was curious what background the plate had.
I think it's an interesting topic with some very good information provided by Steve B, although it may not have the drama and excitement of other threads on page 1. If every thread was about tpg's and trimming, I would just read the CU board.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Dynarl Broughman

I found this thread interesting and was wondering if there is a way to get a print done from the copper printers block I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01223.jpg (69.5 KB, 312 views)
Old 10-12-2013, 01:51 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Find an local artist art school that makes prints. They could do it for you. They will have one man printing presses to do it. I've taken printmaking classes at the local art institute and used the art presses.

If you wanted, you could practice and try it on your own at home. Get some printers ink. You won't ruin the plate if you clean it right afterwards. After all, it's made out of metal. The key is to not use oil paint or acrylic paint or such as that will dry fast and gunk it up. Printing ink is designed for a plate like that, and can easily be cleaned up. Printing ink for a regular dime store rubber stamp likely will work fine. You can try using the plate like a rubber stamp. See what technique works and what doesn't.

Whether you're Picasso or making a newspaper picture, making the printing plate itself is the hard part. Making a print from the plate is the easier part (I said easier, not easy). The plate itself most probably can't be duplicated, even by an advanced artist and an art college. In part, because it was made with decades old, obsolete technology. It's a sheet of solid copper with a detailed image embossed it it. Something a scammer can't do on his computer printer. Plus, copper is expensive these days.

However, about 25 times easier and less time consuming would be to make a quality computer scan, reverse the negative image, do some photo shop and make a digital print.

I do think having a quality modern print (even digital) from the plate would increase the revalue of the plate itself. Makes it an overall attractive and interesting display piece. Collectors do that with their old photo negatives.

Last edited by drcy; 10-12-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Rob

Not exactly a Kreindler, but you can make your own baseball card prints with supplies from a hobbies and crafts store. Here is a linocut of a J. Wood dotted tie photo of Joe Crotty...

Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Not exactly a Kreindler, but you can make your own baseball card prints with supplies from a hobbies and crafts store. Here is a linocut of a J. Wood dotted tie photo of Joe Crotty...

That's kind of nice actually. The printing needs a bit of practice, but the actual portrait part is good.
My art teacher made me try that style a couple times, but I never could get that level of "liveliness" in the subject. I was much better with architecture and mechanical subjects.

Steve B
Old 10-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Rob

Thanks, Steve. I like to think of my style as... in the manner of German Expressionist's Christian Rohlfs and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff, but the truth is I can't draw well enough to be a realist.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:16 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The baseball one will be harder to print, due to the fine dots detail. May need a professional.

On a side printing note, a linocut (such as shown above) is the same as a woodcut, except linoleum was used for the printing block instead of wood. Linoleum is a lot easier to carve and is a relatively modern product. A print expert can look at a final print and tell you if it's a linocut or a woodcut, but that's because the know what they are doing.

Last edited by drcy; 10-12-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm about halfway there.

I can get the process for almost everything I come across in person, less by seeing scans. Really good woodcuts are difficult, especially ones done on the endgrain of a hardwood like Maple.

Oddly T205 backs were a challenge, should be lithographed, but have lots of indicators of type being used. Then I found out that a common process of the time involved laying out litho plates with transfers - which could be printed from either a master litho plate or set type.

I've done a small bit of many of the common things. Lithograph, etching, engraving, wood block, linoleum, silkscreen, Maybe one or two others.

Someday when I find my stack of prints from HS I'll photo or scan a few.

Steve B
Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

About ten years ago I took a class at the Pratt Art Institute-- total beginners survey to print making. We made handmade etchings, woodcuts, engravings, lithographs more. All the old school/Rembrandt stuff. Used the printing press, made proofs, used etching acid. About 8 students in the class, so you knew everyone. The teacher was a master printmaker and artist who had her stuff displayed in museums, but she was just there to show how printmaking is done.

I took it because, as an authenticator, I thought it would be useful to hands on know how to make prints in order to identify them. I was the only non-artist in the class.

Last edited by drcy; 10-14-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:20 PM
JeR@Me

Default Printing Plate

This thread peaked my interest as I am not sure we have had a printing plate discussion by way of actually players from newspapers, yearbooks, etc. - Perhaps I missed it over the years, but is seems the only discussion on Net 54 re/ printing plates were for actual baseball cards. I am surprised I have not seen more of these wood blocks, but here is my lone contribution that I picked up at the National this year. First scans are from camera, then I actually scanned the photo to get a more clear shot of the team and players. (SJ on the jersey) - Would love to know more about this team, etc. - This is the first team printing block I have ever run across, so I had to have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TeamSPrintingPlate.jpg (68.6 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg TeamSPrintingPlate-6.jpg (72.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg TeamSPrintingPlate-4.jpg (75.5 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg TeamPlate5.jpg (76.2 KB, 159 views)
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 PM
George

The wood engravings seem to be so difficult to execute and it truly is an art form. I have seen some very nice modern day woodblocks at local art shows and then I think of the 19th century woodcuts with the superb details and precision. I can't imagine 1 artist doing a single woodcut back them...just speculating but perhaps they had different artists commissioned for different parts of a woodcut ie one for landscape, one for people etc. I don't have a good example off the top of my head but I have seen many similarities in the trees from a few different woodcuts depicting baseball games in progress. These are all great pieces btw and that Crotty is very creative

I don't have any 19th century baseball woodblocks (and I'd be shocked if any actually exist although I guess it is remotely possible) but here's an original woodblock of Eugene Rouher (random French statesmen) along with a more modern (but still "old") Coke copper? block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1830s wood engraving.jpg (14.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg coca cola.jpg (72.7 KB, 131 views)
Old 10-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

These are zinc printing plates from the early 1960s, front-back-envelope:

Kid Bassey:

Kid Paret [killed in the ring]:

Copper etching printed about 175 years ago as a plate in a book:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Broughman View Post
I found this thread interesting and was wondering if there is a way to get a print done from the copper printers block I have.
Here is a print from my printers block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01227.jpg (77.2 KB, 56 views)