NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2021, 06:53 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Doctor dies from Covid-19 leaves family collection worth $20 mill

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/20/us/ne...rnd/index.html
Old 05-20-2021, 06:55 PM
pete ullman

WOW!!! Theres maybe 7 mill right there!!!
Old 05-20-2021, 07:10 PM
Marc S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
WOW!!! Theres maybe 7 mill right there!!!
Thickest borders I've ever seen on a '33 Goudey Ruth

/s
Old 05-20-2021, 07:15 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

That is going to be a high flying Auction with some top dollars

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-20-2021, 07:17 PM
Mike

What a collection ! This is what we talk about on here all the time. Again a tax discussion . Does the wife inherit the collection at current market value and therefore doesn't pay any taxes on the sales or does the estate pay taxes between the current market sale value (auction result) minus the initial price paid for the cards.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:51 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

If everyone here puts me in their will, 20 milllion will be nothing. Hint. Hint.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:40 PM
Stephan

Incredible...

I should have been a doctor.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:45 PM
Frank Wakefield

Seems like he was a good fellow; someone who'll be missed by his wife, kids, and family. And co-workers and patients. Guys, it really isn't all about the cards. I hope the sale goes well for his family.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:01 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
What a collection ! This is what we talk about on here all the time. Again a tax discussion . Does the wife inherit the collection at current market value and therefore doesn't pay any taxes on the sales or does the estate pay taxes between the current market sale value (auction result) minus the initial price paid for the cards.
Under the current estate tax laws in place, there is still a basis step-up for inherited assets. To fully answer your question though we would need to know if he had a will, to whom were the cards left under the will, and if the cards were considered as owned solely by the doctor, or jointly by both him and his wife.

As it is now, all the assets he personally owned, and half of the assets he owned jointly with his wife, get valued at their current fair market value (FMV) on the date he dies, or an alternative date within six months after he passes if so elected by whoever is in charge of the estate. The total FMV of those is then used to determine if he has a taxable estate for federal estate tax purposes. If he leaves everything to his wife, there is no federal estate tax due as you are allowed an unlimited exemption from federal estate tax for everything left to a surviving spouse. Plus the spouse gets a step-up in the basis of all the assets she receives to their FMV.

So if the doctor was considered the sole owner of all the cards, and left them all to his wife, she gets the estimated $20MM FMV as her basis. So if she then sells them for $20MM, she has no gain to pay income tax on. Now if it was considered that she owned the cards equally with her husband, his half would be stepped-up to a $10MM basis and her half would be 50% of whatever her and her husband had originally paid for them. So in this case if she sold the cards for $20MM she would likely end up paying some capital gain tax, but we'd need to know their original basis in the cards to know how much gain would be taxable. (If they lived in a community property state the cards would be stepped-up 100% to the $20MM FMV regardless if originally acquired jointly or separately by the couple.)

And if some/all of the cards are left to people besides his wife, they get the stepped-up basis on whichever cards they inherit as well.

Now as for whether or not there is a federal estate tax on the value of the cards, as I already said, if he leaves them all to his wife, then no. But if he leaves some/all the cards to other people/relatives, there could end up being some federal estate tax due, but we'd have to at least know the FMV of all the other assets in his total estate, and how much went to his wife, and how much went to others, and so on.

And so you know, these estate tax laws are being looked at for significant changes in the very near future. So far just talk, discussions, and speculation. You can do online searches to see how some people think these federal estate tax laws may end up being changed. And also, this is just referring to federal estate taxes. There are a number of states that also impose an estate tax as well, which I'm not even going to try and get into.

Last edited by BobC; 09-05-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:00 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Seems like he was a good fellow; someone who'll be missed by his wife, kids, and family. And co-workers and patients. Guys, it really isn't all about the cards. I hope the sale goes well for his family.
+1
Old 05-21-2021, 05:14 AM
octavio ranzola

Covid sucks sad
Old 05-21-2021, 07:24 AM
Roy Zalameda

In the early 1990s, I was at the Anaheim National with another dealer from VA. I sold a Cy Young T3 to a doctor from FL. The Turkey Red was from the Southern Card find. It probably would have graded Ex-Mt or better. I am not 100% certain that he is the same guy that I sold the T3 to, but he does look some what familiar (looking at the Memory Lane website). I remember that he dragged Bill Hughes over to my table to examine the Cy Young. After getting the blessing from Bill, the doctor paid me in AMEX traveler checks ($50 checks). I think my asking price was around $1800 ?
Old 05-21-2021, 07:34 AM
Robert Williams

I bet all the members here have enough value in our collections to pay off the National debt.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:17 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Wow.. that Ruth!! I will pay it with trimmed dollar bills!

Last edited by chriskim; 05-21-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:19 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaddyshack View Post
In the early 1990s, I was at the Anaheim National with another dealer from VA. I sold a Cy Young T3 to a doctor from FL. The Turkey Red was from the Southern Card find. It probably would have graded Ex-Mt or better. I am not 100% certain that he is the same guy that I sold the T3 to, but he does look some what familiar (looking at the Memory Lane website). I remember that he dragged Bill Hughes over to my table to examine the Cy Young. After getting the blessing from Bill, the doctor paid me in AMEX traveler checks ($50 checks). I think my asking price was around $1800 ?
Funny you say that Roy because I was at that same National and thinking the same thing about the Goudey Ruths. Some dealer had all four and they all looked stone mint, and I often thought back to that day and regret I did not buy them. It wouldn't surprise me if those are the Ruths the estate is selling.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:45 AM
Roy Zalameda

Corey, that Anaheim National was my 2nd one (first one was in AC). Anyhow, it was really packed with collectors. I believe this particular National started all the promo stuff. I could not believe the line for getting a free Shaq autograph ? He was sponsored by Classic or Upper Deck, and I think he only stayed for a couple of hours. I went to the shorter lines (Gayle Sayers, Oscar Robertson, and Kyle Petty). I'm sure you remember some of the hysteria at that show....

Funny you should mention all the mint Goudey Ruths, I walked by Mastro's booth and saw so much vintage Mint stuff that it seemed like I was in a museum.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:00 AM
R.L. Americana, LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaddyshack View Post
Roy, this was definitely the same guy. “Doc Newman” (that’s what so many called him) did a lot of business with Bill Hughes in that era and often asked his advice buying cards.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:16 PM
Roy Zalameda

Wow Robert, that's really neat. I never met Bill Hughes before. I would see his ads in SCD. My perception was that he would have the same personality as Al Rosen. That was not the case. Thanks for the info Robert.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:29 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Incredible Hobby Knowledge

I have found Rob to be a man of truly incredible hobby knowledge and, as evidenced here, he has an amazing memory. Not to mention great integrity. He should write a book about his many hobby experiences AND I have told him that. But I understand why he would prefer to enjoy his family and his current lifestyle. Thank you, Rob, for your many contributions.
P.S. I was NOT paid to say this!
Peace.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:01 PM
Pete

Cool article. thanks for posting.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:28 PM
J@mes In.gram

When I saw this story break on CNN yesterday, I knew it would be only a matter of time before it would be talked about here. Sure enough, that is the case. But more importantly, there is enough big-time hobby expertise here, that, as Paul Harvey used to say, "Now, the rest of the story..."
Old 05-21-2021, 01:39 PM
Jimmy

Had to show my family this article, just in case I find a Million dollar card!

Wow! Covid-19 does still suck though

Jimmy
Old 06-09-2021, 06:34 AM
Jay Shumsky

The collection is listed in a new Memory Lane Auction that opens later this week. Some amazing looking cards.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:36 AM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Preview is open now and it is mind blowing
Old 06-09-2021, 08:11 AM

I once commented to another Net54er that, based on all the cards and collections I have seen on these Boards, my collection is in the "C/C- " range.

What I just perused of Dr. Newman's collection on the Memory Lane site just destroyed the grading curve...

just really fantastic...and by all accounts he really enjoyed collecting it and sharing it
Old 06-09-2021, 08:33 AM
Ben

omgggggg... the only thing that I saw that was an error was lot #89, a novelty cutlery PC805 Walter Johns(t)on being listed as a PC796.

i can't wait to see these prices.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:47 AM
Bill Gregory

I'm only on page two, and I'm floored. His Turkey Red collection was ridiculous.

I certainly feel for his family (and yes, Covid sucks. One of my best friends lost his father, and his fiancee lost her father, as well), and it's clear he was loved and respected.

A lot of people will see dollar signs with these cards. I see a man that pursued his passion, and pursued it with patience and great care. His was a life well-lived.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:00 PM
Ch@d

The quality of his collection is astounding. The opening bids are even more astounding. I love how only $100k opening bids or higher are moved up to the top #'d lots. There are lots in the middle of the auction that would headline most other auctions, like...

N162 Anson PSA 8 - Opening bid $25k, ho hum
Cobb Green portrait SGC 7.5, also $25k
1914 CJ Jackson PSA 4, only $25k opening bid
1933 Goudey Ruth #149 PSA 7, another $25k
a beautiful 34 Goudey #37 Gehrig PSA 7, opening bid just $5k

& so many more. It's almost overwhelming just to go through the auction listings, I had to take a break! And I agree with 'stache, this auction stands as a virtual monument to Dr. Newman's passion.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 06-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

I prefer my Green Ruths with more border.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth33g181.jpg (76.3 KB, 145 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.