NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2021, 06:54 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Default Help me Pick my next set

I posted this in the post-war forum, but would appreciate some pre war options to consider as well. I am one of those collectors who needs to always have a set in progress. I just finished my 1950 Bowman set, and am having trouble figuring out what I should target next. I have a few ground rules I try to follow when building a set:

1. In need to be able to get every card in the set. If there's a huge stopper (1949 Leaf Paige, 1933 Goudey Lajoie, 1952 Topps Mantle), I don't want the sent. My collector OCD won't allow me to have holes in my set.

2. I like all of my cards to be in similar condition. I don't mind spending a significant portion of my budget on a single card, as long as I can keep the grades consitent. A set of NM-MT cards with the key card in VG would bother me.

3. I want a set where most of the cards are readily available. I like to build a set in 6-12 months. If there are cards in the set that are only seen once every few years, I don't have the patience to wait.

4. Set size doesn't matter much - I'm equally happy with a tough set of 16 cards as I am with a set of 300 cards.

5. The card images need to actually resemble the players. Early 20th century caramel cards and strip cards bother me.

6. Budget matters. I am looking for something with an overall cost somewhere in the $10k-$15k range. As much as I'd like a 1933 Goudey or t206 set, that's not realistic.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:39 AM
Ben

take a look at www.oldcardboard.com and browse the sets that they have listed there.

Putting the set together, you need to be intrinsically motivated to do it. Don't do it because other people think it's cool to do.

I'd find a set that is somewhat rare, but not impossible to do. If a set is super rare, then whenever the card you need becomes available you will have to go after it.

You just have to be patient. Find cards with flaws that present well which will help keep the cost somewhat down.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:56 AM
Ad@m Be11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
I posted this in the post-war forum, but would appreciate some pre war options to consider as well. I am one of those collectors who needs to always have a set in progress. I just finished my 1950 Bowman set, and am having trouble figuring out what I should target next. I have a few ground rules I try to follow when building a set:

1. In need to be able to get every card in the set. If there's a huge stopper (1949 Leaf Paige, 1933 Goudey Lajoie, 1952 Topps Mantle), I don't want the sent. My collector OCD won't allow me to have holes in my set.

2. I like all of my cards to be in similar condition. I don't mind spending a significant portion of my budget on a single card, as long as I can keep the grades consitent. A set of NM-MT cards with the key card in VG would bother me.

3. I want a set where most of the cards are readily available. I like to build a set in 6-12 months. If there are cards in the set that are only seen once every few years, I don't have the patience to wait.

4. Set size doesn't matter much - I'm equally happy with a tough set of 16 cards as I am with a set of 300 cards.

5. The card images need to actually resemble the players. Early 20th century caramel cards and strip cards bother me.

6. Budget matters. I am looking for something with an overall cost somewhere in the $10k-$15k range. As much as I'd like a 1933 Goudey or t206 set, that's not realistic.

Thanks in advance for your input.

If you're comfortable with lower grade, the Philadelphia Caramel E95 set is doable and only has 25 cards with a few HOFers. The artwork tends to be really good on those compared to some other Caramel issues or even the T206s. I've been working on it slowly around other sets and the cards are always circulating on auction.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240

Last edited by AMBST95; 06-09-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:07 AM

I like the 1941 Play Ball set too. I think it is one of the easiest to put together and if you are condition conscious, easier to find on the EX to NM grades than other prewar sets.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:32 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I like the 1941 Play Ball set too. I think it is one of the easiest to put together and if you are condition conscious, easier to find on the EX to NM grades than other prewar sets.
I concur. Possibly a Yuenglings set, although it might push your budget (Ruth & Gehrig) and your completion time limits.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:32 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Thanks for the suggestions. I happen to be lucky enough to have the 1941 Play Ball DiMaggio, and an E95 Wagner, so the biggest obstacles to those sets would be in the rear-view mirror. I'll give them both a strong look.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:37 AM
J@son Per1

Please don't build the 1941 play ball set. Another person to compete with.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:54 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
Please don't build the 1941 play ball set. Another person to compete with.
E95 it is then. Let me know when you finish the 1941 so I can get started.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I happen to be lucky enough to have the 1941 Play Ball DiMaggio, and an E95 Wagner, so the biggest obstacles to those sets would be in the rear-view mirror. I'll give them both a strong look.
I think those should be your next 2 sets. I would do them before any post war sets. Play Ball is the easier set, but if you are ok with low grade E95 isn't bad.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:09 PM
J@son Per1

Quote:
E95 it is then. Let me know when you finish the 1941 so I can get started.
haha, that is very good natured of you even if you don't intend to carry out on this promise.

I will agree with the venerable "rats60" that this is a fantastic set. I have been building a fairly modest version of it with raw cards and PSA/SGC cards graded from 2 to 6. The card stock is fantastic and the colors and design of the set seem ahead of its time. I don't think it has been particularly easy to build. Even as most vintage peaked in February and has since been correcting, the competition for cards in this set remains quite strong and has shown no signs of a correction from what I can tell. The relatively low pop counts no doubt factor into that.

Anyway there are art-deco qualities to this set that were ahead of their time.
Some of the cards such as the Vince D are straight up Warholesque. With only 72 cards it is approachable and having the Joe D in your back pocket is obviously a massive advantage. I'm 63 cards in and I still don't have the Joltin' Joe and that sucker has not declined a penny even as a lot of stuff has come down since February. I prefer his '39 which is much cheaper -- but the market is what it is.

I strongly endorse it.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:37 PM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

I've been enjoying building my 1934 Goudey set. 96 cards, with only a few unobtainable for under a couple hundred bucks (the Gehrigs and Greenberg). Loaded with HoFers too (albeit no Ruth or Hornsby), at least in the first 1/4th of the set. I started around 8 months ago, and am up to 93% complete.

Last edited by ngrow9; 06-09-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:48 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Don't sleep on Diamond Stars. One of the coolest, ever, IMO.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:14 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I concur. Possibly a Yuenglings set, although it might push your budget (Ruth & Gehrig) and your completion time limits.

This is absolutely no knock on the poster recommending the Yuengling set, I personally think it is a great (and extremely underappreciated) set. However, based on your own admission of being a bit OCD, the Ruth card doesn't come up for sale very often and is going to be super expensive when/if it does. And there is also one, unbelievably rare common card in the set that apparently was super short printed so people couldn't easily collect the entire set and then turn it in for free ice cream. And I'm guessing that many of the few that did get printed were likely turned in for the free ice cream and were subsequently destroyed so they couldn't be used again. This is exactly what you said you did not want to have to deal with for your next set.

The E95 Philadephia caramel set suggestion is a good one, as were additional suggestions of one of the Playball sets, or even the Diamond Stars set. Let me also add in the '34-'36 Batter-Up set as another you may find interesting to look into. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by BobC; 06-09-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:41 PM
T0dd M@rcum

It's been a while since I did the set so I don't know about the current priceing, but what about a G-VGish Delong set? The old giants in the stadium is a fantastic set.