NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Do you like baseball cards? (this is just a test poll!)
Yes 43 75.44%
No 14 24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2014, 03:06 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)
Default Polling in net54 question

Dear all,

I have a (possibly) fun idea for a vintage card related thread, but it will ideally require polls to be placed in individual posts. (I don't want to throw the idea out quite yet, as I am not even sure it is possible).

Anybody know if this is possible, or are we limited to the single poll at the top of a given thread? (I added a test poll to this thread, just to familiarize myself with how this works).

Edit: The single poll might also work, provided it could be edited continuously. Anybody also know if this is possible? (When I click on edit, I can easily edit the text here, but the poll seems to be fixed!)

Cheers,
David
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 09-18-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:40 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Default No!

I'm a hater.. Just couldn't let this test poll be too one side

No idea about polls in individual posts, but always assumed it was a single poll per thread.

Adding: Just noticed there a 4 votes, but only 2 "views"... I guess the counter's a little slow (not that it matters)

Last edited by itjclarke; 09-18-2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Just noticed
Old 09-18-2014, 05:47 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Default the idea

Haters are welcome!

After thinking about it, it is probably best just to present the idea, so that I can possibly get feedback here regarding feasibility (also to check if it might have already been done, as I am new here!)...

I am a T206 collector, and find that the portraits are really chock full of cool close ups, funny facial expressions, fantastic backgrounds, some great hair-do's (and dont's), etc. that we have all come to love.

I have been thinking of ways that I might contribute to the fun on this forum... One idea I have had would be to organize a bracket "March Madness" style tournament on the forum, wherein the various T206 subjects with a portrait pose will battle it out mano-a-mano (roughly one battle per day), based on Net54baseball members voting for their favorite portrait. The last subject standing will be given the highly prestigous title of "Mr. T206"!

My hope is that this would be fun and long-lasting thread (will take months), filled with controversy, upsets (commoner takes out a HOFer!), etc.

What do you guys think? I will be happy to arrange the bracket (probably e.g. just seed alphabetically) and post the matchups along with images, but I cannot figure out how to handle the polling effectively (It would be nice to keep the competition within a single thread!)

Has this been done before? Any ideas about how to handle the polling? Feedback is most welcome...

Cheers, David

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 09-18-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:59 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Shag. vs. WaJo

Winner takes the crown.

Done.

Seriously an eight or sixteen man bracket might work after a nominating process. A 128 man bracket would generate ennui quickly.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Default nominations

Frank,

Good idea about a nomination process, to keep it more reasonable (Not so sure about the Shag vs. WaJo final, however!) ...

Anybody have any idea about how the polling could be handled within a single thread? (again, as far as I can tell, the poll at the top of a given thread is fixed)...

Best, David

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 09-18-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:27 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Tinker and Shag battle it out for most vampirish portrait. It would be hard not to consider Plank vs. Wagner as the powerhouse face-off.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:27 AM
Chris P.

Default Thank you Frank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Shag. vs. WaJo

Winner takes the crown.

Done.

Seriously an eight or sixteen man bracket might work after a nominating process. A 128 man bracket would generate ennui quickly.
I can always count on someone here forcing me to learn a new word.

en·nui
änˈwē
noun
a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement.
synonyms: boredom, tedium, listlessness, lethargy, lassitude, languor, weariness, enervation; More
Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleSpokes View Post
Frank,

Good idea about a nomination process, to keep it more reasonable (Not so sure about the Shag vs. WaJo final, however!) ...

Anybody have any idea about how the polling could be handled within a single thread? (again, as far as I can tell, the poll at the top of a given thread is fixed)...

Best, David
Polls are for a single thread. Meaning the votes for the poll count in that thread only, cant be in multiple threads that add all together., and are only fixed at the top.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Shag. vs. WaJo

Winner takes the crown.

Done.

Come at me!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Gotta love a trash talkin' Walter Johnson!

So... it seems that the polling facilities here are not set up for a tournamnent style thread, as I suspected. But, I expect the polls could be handled externally, via a link. I will do some checking on this, and probably start an offcial thread tomorrow to open up nominations for a smaller tournament, to avoid generating ennui (had to... I hope I used this right!)...

(I will also count those nominated here, so more nominations are welcome!)

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 09-18-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Come at me!

My favorite card in the set as well! Although, if you include non-portraits, I also really like the Lajoie Batting and for commons - Conroy Batting and Pattee...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:01 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Default Trying to embed my test poll...

Attempt at embedding a poll...

Do you like baseball cards?

pollcode.com free polls

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 09-18-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Hi David,

Little known is the "Testing Forum" here on NET54. Took me several years here before I even knew it existed. You can mess around to your heart's content.

http://net54baseball.com/

Scroll down near the bottom, you'll see it.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Thanks! Very good to know...
Old 09-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleSpokes View Post
Gotta love a trash talkin' Walter Johnson!

So... it seems that the polling facilities here are not set up for a tournamnent style thread, as I suspected. But, I expect the polls could be handled externally, via a link. I will do some checking on this, and probably start an offcial thread tomorrow to open up nominations for a smaller tournament, to avoid generating ennui (had to... I hope I used this right!)...

(I will also count those nominated here, so more nominations are welcome!)

We are on Vbulletin 3.8.1 and should really be on 3.8.7 ....but the functionality is similar. There are later versions (4 and 5 I think) but 3.8.x is a good solid platform for forums. Just letting you know so you have that info when rooting around......
Old 09-18-2014, 03:02 PM
I@n Cl@rke

I think it sounds like a fun idea David. If there's an easy (not entirely manual) way to receive/record ranked votes on maybe a top 32 or 16 (whatever is manageable), then actual seeding could take place. Per an earlier post, the odds on favorites for 1 and 2 seed would be Wags and Plank, in which case they'd only be able to face off at the end... but upsets could happen and would be cool.

128 would be awesome if do-able--- imagine the 128 seed knocking off Wags!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:33 PM
John Mavroudis

I think this is a great idea, too!

You could place the whole group and seed them like the NCAA tourney and then break out 4 or 8 groups into separate threads... then have the quarter finals, semi finals and finals in separate threads, as well...

I don't know how you sort out the voting process... but just listing the names of winners by posting in thread could work... in any case, once again... nice idea!

www.zenpop.com