NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-06-2022, 01:06 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
The fact of the matter is that nobody really wants the book. Everyone wants the auto's. I think that separating the auto's will bring you the most cash. Frank
I'm curious what this is based on? Have you seen individuals pages like these sell? I've been collecting and following these for many years and don't believe that there is any evidence that this is the case.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:49 PM
Jonathan Sterling

This is the single page that made $8500 in Hunt Auction this year. You say there are Four signatures. Can you please post the other two. I only see the football and track photos. And I think the Football signature is outstanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77.jpg (187.4 KB, 265 views)
Old 10-07-2022, 05:40 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

The Hunt description stated that this photo was from the UCLA yearbook but it is not. It is from the 1939 Pasadena Jr. College Campus yearbook.

However, it does not have any other autographs or inscriptions from other players so it displays perfectly.
Old 10-08-2022, 03:41 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
I'm curious what this is based on? Have you seen individuals pages like these sell? I've been collecting and following these for many years and don't believe that there is any evidence that this is the case.
I posted a recent similar photo that bought as much as recent sale of same book. ( yes a single auto is preferred but yours is first year with larger photo etc.) But as I only see 2 of the 4 signatures it is tough to estimate what they would make at auction. So please post the other 2 signatures. The other benifit is if 3 pictures will sell for mare than the book as a whole then you could decide to sell the 3 and keep one for your PC.
Regards
J
Old 10-08-2022, 09:29 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Here are the four photos. I'm not sure that there is an any argument that a yearbook signed once would sell for more than a yearbook signed 4 times, so curious why you think that might be (it has not been the case historically for these), unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3717.jpg (187.5 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3711.jpg (181.6 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3725.jpg (183.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3699.jpg (185.6 KB, 222 views)
Old 10-09-2022, 05:06 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Jonathan appears to be referring only to your football autograph page which has been signed by another player in addition to Jackie and is comparing it to the single signed page from the Hunt auction that had only Jackie's inscription/signature from a value standpoint.

I'm sure he will clarify his post but this was the way I interpreted it.

Having seen all 4 autographs and the pages involved, I would repair the binding and leave the book intact. The individual cuts will not be that attractive as most would be irregular cuts unless you just leave the individual pages intact and the other inscriptions/signatures detract from Robinson if you do that. The track signature has poor contrast on his last name and would not bring a premium IMO.

It is a piece of history as it is with the other signatures an important part of it.

Last edited by rand1com; 10-09-2022 at 05:44 AM. Reason: content
Old 10-09-2022, 12:23 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Jonathan appears to be referring only to your football autograph page which has been signed by another player in addition to Jackie and is comparing it to the single signed page from the Hunt auction that had only Jackie's inscription/signature from a value standpoint.

I'm sure he will clarify his post but this was the way I interpreted it.

Having seen all 4 autographs and the pages involved, I would repair the binding and leave the book intact. The individual cuts will not be that attractive as most would be irregular cuts unless you just leave the individual pages intact and the other inscriptions/signatures detract from Robinson if you do that. The track signature has poor contrast on his last name and would not bring a premium IMO.

It is a piece of history as it is with the other signatures an important part of it.
Randy,

I appreciate that clarification. Once you mention it, I definitely see that that was what Jonathan intended, and I'm sure there is truth to that.

I do think on this one that there is something to the fact that Jackie famously lettered in 4 sports, and this has him signing all 4, so that's an argument for keeping them together.

Agreed on the track autograph as well. It might show a bit better in person, but it's definitely not the best.

Thanks!

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 10-09-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:11 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I do think on this one that there is something to the fact that Jackie famously lettered in 4 sports, and this has him signing all 4, so that's an argument for keeping them together.
I hadn't thought about that, but the problem is that once you put it into an auction, you've lost control over it and that history might not matter to the winner. The market will determine which is more valuable, keeping it together or splitting it up, so it seems that any restoration work on your part is a gamble. Might as well just put it in as is and let what will be, be. At any rate, the big auction guys will give you the best advice you're going to get, including from here.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:23 PM

There are collectors who want signed custom cards, so another option would be to cut each autograph/picture up as a custom card and have PSA/DNA slab each. Not sure I would do that, but it is a possibility.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:30 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

Thanks!
Not an autograph guy, but I think you're right in that they should all be auctioned together at the same time for the reason you state. However, maybe you maximize by having 4 separate pages, 4 separate lots, so if someone wants all 4, they'll have to win each.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:33 AM
Michael

I sold a Jr college yearbook with 3 autographs and one of his brother. Didn't do as well as expected. This was a few years ago. I hate people cutting something like this up (I have a few great autograph albums I wont sell as do not want them cut up) but cutting up would give you the best price