NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2007, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Default If the bottom fell out...

Posted By: Dylan

How many collectors/dealers would actually prefer the baseball collectables and card market to fall? If it did fall would you prefer a small drop or a black tuesday? I suppose there are those collectors that have tens of thousands invested and would just assume the market continue sky rocketing. But im beginning to realize that if such a fervent rate continued i could eventually be priced out of many of the cards i want to someday own. But im a fairly new collector and ld like to hear what others have to say. What direction would be ideal for your collecting needs?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

If the past thirty years is any indication, values will occasionally plateau but not drop. I have mixed feelings regarding your question. A significant proportion of my expendable income is spent on collectibles. If values dropped (Black Tuesday style) I would be definitely lose a lot on paper. However, I would collect as before (probably a lot more) because I enjoy the hobby and the history. I believe that because so many others share my latter sentiments that the values will never truly crash.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:22 AM
Administrator

I also find plataeus likely but a large drop dependent on something along the lines of a global economic catosrophe. I personally wouldnt mind seeing a break from the upscale surge. A plateau for a few years would give me a chance to put together a real collection. Ive heard people say that prices will fixate soon but i havent seen the climb stop yet...

Old 01-11-2007, 04:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I don't spend thousands of dollars on any one card, but even dropping $25-$250 on a card I'd really rather the market not ever totally crash. I could care less if prices stayed status quo...I'm not in it for investment purposes but don't want the money I've spent to be worth nil on the cards either...in other words if push came to shove...jobloss, family emergency or what not...I'd hope I could at least somewhat get back the money I've put into cards if need be.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

If guys need money, the first cards to sell is the stuff on the bottom. Common or HOFers from common sets will be so common that they could lose all value, but there will always be a strong market for super rare or scarce HOFers. Most guys who own these super cards will not sell in any market and have enough money to wait out the storm. It's not hard to imagine a shift in mortgage rates or job layoffs to get the ball rolling. Imagine having a box of cardboard or paying your mortgage. Not hard to see where a slight shift in the economy could ruin your collection. However, there will always be someone waiting for the disaster to buy up rare or scarce cards. Reality is that there will be a downturn. Can not keep going up. Just can't! However, I would bet that if you can weather the storm, the next uptick will be higher than we have ever seen. Prices in our lifetime could be 5x-10x where they are today. Hold tight... If you can.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I'd love it. I think it would be great for the hobby.

I seldom sell a card. Once in a while, not very often. With a real crash I could forgo selling for a while. A crash would be no problem for me in that regard.

I would still buy cards. I collect them for their intrinsic connection to the game, not because of some value in a catalog or population report. In that regard, a crash would help my collecting. I could buy more cards with the same amount of money.

This board would still be active, so I'd be happy about that. A crash wouldn't kill off The Vintage Baseball Card Forum.

This is a hobby, not an investment. Invest in a home, an education for yourself or a kid, a mutual fund or two, real estate. Or futures or commodities. This is no place for a sensible investor. A crash might chase a few of those folks out, and that would be better for the hobby. Plus, a demonstration of volatility would deter other "investors" from entering our card market.

And I'd think that a good crash would cool down the slabbing frenzy.

The only way I see a downside to me if there were to be a crash would be if some financial disaster struck me necessitating sale of my cards. I don't see that happening. If I die on the heels of a crash, that might be unfortunate for my heirs, IF they were to sell off cards at that time. I think they'd hold cards a while, they don't really know much about them, but they perceive the cards have some value.

So bring on a crash, please sir. A good 'un!!!!

Frank.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Scarce cards come out when the market is strong. If the market crashed better material would dry up and collecting would become alot more difficult.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Frankly, I wouldn't care either way.

I guess if the market fell apart I'd be able to afford cards I can't afford now. At the same time, the few bigger-dollar cards I own would decrease in value as well.

Either way, I would still collect the same stuff I collect now.

-Al

Old 01-11-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Frank - If you hope there is a crash, then you are somewhat hoping for a crash in other markets. They are linked in that people buy cards when they have extra money. If the economy is bad and people are not buying (or a downturn), that means we are in more trouble than just owning worthless cardboard. I don't think anyone should hope for a crash, but if it comes, who of us is really ready?

Old 01-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Guys, I intended to close with the idea that I did not desire a crash from which we did not recover. A crash, yes. But then the market slowly creeps back up.

And that would be good for IRA and deferred comp investing, too. Same amount comes out of my check, but it buys more... Let me think about that. Yes, I'm for that, too, as long as we recover.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce dorskind

Dylan

Let's look at a worse case scenario.

1. There is another stock market crash
2. The US suffers another major terrorist attack
3. There is a major grading scandal at PSA
4. There is a baseball strike

We doubt that even the combination of these four events would have
a significant impact on high end pre war baseball cards.

The market for rare baseball cards is very thin. Furthermore,
people don't collect baseball cards generally. They collect
specific sets, or specific players or teams and/or cards
from a certain era.

The prices for the most expensive items (those over $5000_
are a function of a very limited supply and demand. The hobby's
biggest spenders have very different collecting interests. Their
budgets are more likely to be based on their overall wealth
rather than on current income.

The most important factor in determining price is who is bidding. Once
the top two collectors have the item, the prices tend to drop.

On those items priced between $500 and $5000, the market is
generally limited to 20 or less people with specific collecting
goals. While some would be affected by the "perfect storm," the
market is so thin, and the collectors' interest so diverse, that it is difficult
to imagine how the economy would affect pricing.

Let us assume that all items between $25 and $500 are "E Bay"
items. There you might see some drop (say 20%) on the number
of bidders. However, we doubt that the whole market would collapse,
or that you would see a noticeable drop in card prices.

With baseball cards, it has been our experience (over the past
30 years), that the high end of the market rarely drops. Price is
a function of who is in and who is out of the hobby as well as
the so called “buzz factor. “
If it turns out that we are completely wrong, then what you would
see is that sellers would step back, and wait for the market to recover.

Good luck and let's hope that the hobby continues to attract new
collectors and new investors and the hobby prices continue to rise

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Right now or anytime soon i couldnt imagine card prices just plummeting because theres too many people like myself that would spend just as much as they do now but hope to get more cards. Then we would just be competing against each other and driving the price back up.I think it would also lead to more people starting to collect the older cards who normally couldnt afford to spend alot.They might be able to buy a few cards before prices went back up and that could get them hooked on the cards and they buy more,or just take a certain percentage of cards off the market making them harder to find in the process.

I think the number of page views and unique visitors to this site speaks highly of how strong the vintage market is and there seems to be alot more younger collectors around now than before to keep it that way

Old 01-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

While many of the more rare cards may continue to rise....I don't think I see that for T206's and other commonly found vintage cards. I don't ever foresee a day where T206 PSA 1 commons that go for $20-$25 now going for $100...and a PSA 4 Addie Joss that goes for $175 now going for $400....maybe i'm naive..but I still believe there is too many T206's for that kind of jump to ever take place..no matter what the rest of vintage cards do.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Mostly posted this as food for thought. I dont envision anytype of crash ever affecting the rarities in the hobby. price change is cyclical. I would like to see a slow down, do some purchasing, and inevitably the market will pick up again and in all likelihood soar to new heights. However as we stand now no slow down in sight. And like Bruce said even if a plethora of really bad things occured the valuable/rare cards are recession proof, it would take a nuclear holocaust for fine art and rare baseball collectibles to be rendered valueless.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

While many collectors have said they wouldn't mind seeing the market collapse so that they could buy cards on the cheap, it would probably be a bad thing if the bottom fell out. It would mean something really awful is happening in the world, and it would cast a feeling of gloom on the hobby. Best thing might be a little slowdown, so there would be less panic buying and less volatility. A quieter and calmer market might actually be a more relaxing one.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I have recently started dreaming about baseball cards! I guess I have a problem Last night I went back in time (Early 70's?) and was able to buy all sorts of cards. The funny thing is that I only ended up buying cards that are fairly easy to find today and that do not cost much today. I didnt go after a T206 Wagner, I just wanted to complete a few sets I am working on.

What I am getting at is, even if the market dropped on cards, I would still be collecting. I love working on sets, so maybe it would be easier to finish them if the market dropped a little?

On the other hand, it is nice to find rare cards and turn them for a profit. I do it when I can to fund other purchases. If the market dropps out, I will still be able to find rare cards, but this time I would just have to trade them for cards I need instead of selling them.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

As stated several times on this thread, it would take a MAJOR global disaster, or more likely, a series of global disasters with long-term implications, to crash this market. Great Depression stuff.

Real long term, I do wonder how much Americana will be valued in, say, 100 years. Will anyone really give a hoot in the 22nd century that there are only x number of PSA 8 Ty Cobb green portrait t206 cards? I doubt it, but I will likely be long gone from this orb by then.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

regarding how the high end market works, and the importance of placing these expenditures within the context of people's lives.

My first thought was that I would love for the market to tank so that I could buy lots more of the stuff that I can't get now (you know, dollar-cost averaging, sort of)...but then my next thought was to realize that whatever larger set of circumstances that caused a mega-drop in the collectables world would likely be a large enough economic force to ensare me and my spending capabilities...so it's a push...

For the small-time collector like myself and others like me, let's just hope for a mild global political climate, normal weather patterns, and a stable-growth economic environment for the next 40 years (all to ensure that everyone does well and continues collecting), combined with a series of major ethical and financial blow-ups at the larger auction and grading houses that flushes out the bad seeds that may be out there, and subsequently causes people to re-think what is important in the hobby-end of the community.

That last part is complete drivel, and I know it would cause more problems than help, and I meant no offense to anyone here, but it was just a fun little infantile fantasy to simply type it, so thank you!

Old 01-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I don't know if anyone raised this factor ?

But, if interest rates climbed up to double digits it would affect the economy more than anything
else. And, it would definitely take down all the collectibles markets and especially BB card values.

Don't take my word for this.....just look at recent history for this. In the late '70s and early 1980's
all the collectibles markets were affected. Interest rates climbed to 20 % and everyone was putting
all their money into bank CD's. And, very few were taking out Equity loans to have $$$$ for "investing"
in collectibles.

Make no mistake about it.....our BB card values are staying HIGH.....due to LOW interest rates.

T-Rex TED

Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

It is funny how everybody who said they would like the market to tank don't seem to consider that they may have less to spend on cards as well at a time when economic conditions are such that the baseball card market tanks. If it tanks, it would be precisely because people like us do not have the money to spend on cards.
JimB

Old 01-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I tried to express that thought above, albeit probably not in a terribly eloquent fashion...of course, exactly right...rising tide lifts all boats, but don't forget what happens at low tide

Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

What is the definition of "bottom falling out"? 25% drop? 50% drop? etc. etc. They become worthless? I am a collector, and always have been I have thousands of cards, and I believe I have only sold 4 in the last 20 years. I sold one card a year ago, and was able to pay my taxes, and take my wife to hawaii. So I am not opposed to the high heights that some cards have attained in the last 15 years. But to be brutally honest, I would not mind seeing a drop in prices. It would make my hobby ambitions easier to attain. And it might also allow some younger people, or less fortunate folks to get involved in the hobby. My 22 year old son, only sees this hobby, as something adults do. . Which is kind of sad. Again, being a collector only, I wouldn't mind seeing a drop in prices. maybe 25%.

Many comments surround causes, as being economically driven. What if the card market fell victim to the same fate as the coin market of years ago? The US economy might be fantastic, but cards may fall because of corrupt grading practices. Not that there are any. Not implying that. But there are other factors besides interest rates, war and politics.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

If there were a national/global reason for such a depression in the market, we'd all have more pressing issues to think about - like...... welcoming back into the home the son who never got married but still eats you out of house and home .

But quite seriously, I really don't see the major correction everyone dreads (or gleefully anticipates), or if it comes the period to take advantage of it will be a very small window indeed. Much as property may pop the bubble for 12 months or so, but then its very quickly back up to where it was and flying past to inexorably bigger and bigger numbers.
I honestly think that the sports card collecting world is in it's infancy of true price affordability (that's not to say 10 years ago it wasn't an absolute steal!), that large scale adult collecting is barely 20 years old, and serious interest in vintage perhaps 10. With what I belive is the stabilizing effect of "expert" 3rd party grading to give novice collectors confidence to buy cards they might otherwise shy from, I too believe card prices will be 5 fold in ten years or so.
So if you can afford to, buy now, buy what you like, and thank your lucky stars you have found the hobby before it becomes a truly murderous fight for available material.

Daniel

Old 01-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

One of the things that will likely keep the market strong for a long time to come is the depth of interest in rare baseball artifacts of all kinds, with vintage cards near the top of that list. Lots of avid buyers would be the best way for prices to stay strong, but like I and others have said the world can be an unpredictable place. There are surely many scenarios where baseball cards would not be everyone's first priority. But you should never root for any market to collapse, because that would no doubt mean that some other bad stuff is going on.

My only regret about prices going up seemingly forever is it will turn collecting vintage material into an elitist pastime for the very wealthy. For those who love the stuff but have somewhat modest budgets, they might have to give it up. And it is possible that is where we are heading.

But my final thought is, it will be business as usual- lots of buyers, an equally large numbers of sellers, and a relatively healthy economy.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

How about a major drop in the market -- for about a month? Oh, and I'd like some notice beforehand too.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Jeff,

Just like an attorney, always insisting on sufficient notice. Makes sense, okay, the Baseball Card Gods are required to give us 3 months notice prior to the bottom dropping out.

But seriously, suppose the steriod issue got out of hand, that could lead to a big drop in card prices. Suppose Baseball was no longer the most important sport in the U.S., that would cause a drop in BB card prices wouldn't it?

Peter

Old 01-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I don't think so, Peter. I can barely sit through a baseball game on TV these days but my attraction to cards has not waned. The historical significance of the cards, attachment to bygone eras, etc. is what does it for me. The fact that the vintage card market continues to grow while today's kids barely show interest in current baseball cards suggests to me that our market will only be hit as part of a larger economic hit we all take.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Barring the doom and gloom scenario for a total collapse in the card market, I would love to see the card market DUMP. Again, that would be without a catastrophe occuring. I think I could live with card prices where they were 10 years ago, heck, I'd take card prices from 5 years ago. As a hypothetical question - if the bottom fell out....

I'D BE BUYING A LOT MORE MATERIAL FOR THE COLLECTION. I BUY BECAUSE I LIKE THE STUFF, NOT BECAUSE I THINK IT'S GOING TO BE WORTH MORE IN THE FUTURE. HECK, IF I THOUGHT THAT WAY I'D HAVE PURCHASED TONS MORE IN THE PAST. I GUESS IT'S MY SHORT SIGHTEDNESS IN THE HOBBY THAT KEEPS ME FROM BEING A MULTI-GAZZILLIONAIRE BY NOW....

Old 01-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: LetsGoBucs

Stamps were the "baseball cards" of the mid-late 70's....They were widely collected...investors got involved...the prices attracted more collectors...prices went up and up....

The top of the market was thinly traded....several "major" auction houses continually got "breath-taking prices" for top quality and rare material.

What happened?...A variety of things...people that had got on the bandwagon turned their interest to other things....investors fled...the economy wasn't doing too well...and the cycle went all the way south.

I can remember a UN sheet that sold commonly for abot $700 (in 1978 prices) selling two-three years later for $25. Rare Columbian's that sold for thousands couldn't be given away for hundreds.

The stamp market has bounced back somewhat but has never gotten back to where it was....There are still some very expensive items...but a lot fewer than there were. And in today's dollar terms prices on a lot of things have never gotten anywhere close to what it was.

I do think that if fewer and fewer people are interested in baseball, a portion of the well-heeled collectors lose interest, along with a grading scandal - very public one that in on the evening news, that that might trigger a sharp decline. From my own observations its the small collector that will hold on to their stuff.....people with substantial money have lost money before and will still pull the trigger and dump - $500K isn't $1MM, but its twice as good as $250K.

What has triggered the recent runup is that tools like ebay have unlocked demand for items - that is now very transparent - but that is no protection on the way down.

Personally let T206 EX commons be $5 again. I'm ok with that.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

For me, stamps are stamps - with pretty or interesting pictures on them, some of which exist in relatively small surviving numbers.
For sports cards to be comparable, the sports part of the equation would need to flounder and sink, such that they just became pieces of card with pictures on them, made in relatively small surviving numbers.....and sports have been with us for eons, and really are one of the few common glues you find amongst people the world over.
You can become a sports card collector at any age if you have ever had an interest in sports. I belive stamp collectors are born into families that support and encourage the interest from young ages. Not too many people take up stamp collecting I wouldn't think in their late 20's.....

Daniel

Old 01-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Jeff- your comment about advance notice is similar to my take on the stock market. I look at stocks that went way up the day before, and say to myself "I should have bought some of that yesterday." The fact that I never even heard of the company is irrelevant.

Back to topic- nobody knows the future- vintage baseball cards look awfully strong and no doubt they are, but it is a market like any other, and markets can and do go down. Anything is possible and it's difficult to predict.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

I can only dream that the bottom will fall out.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Darren,

It's easy to say that you will buy low, but when the time comes it is hard to do. A couple of years ago the stock market virtually crashed, did everybody suddenly start buying. For sure I didn't, because I was fed up with the market. The same may happen for cards.

By all indications Barry Bonds cards look like they have hit the bottom. It doesn't look like people are rushing in to buy his '87 Fleer rookie.

Peter

Old 01-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

The parts of the market which stay the strongest in any "vintage" correction are the best possible conditioned cards and the worst conditioned cards.

The best, because there are always people with extra $$ in any economy who can look at that as a major buying opportunity

The worst, because the percentage that they pay compared to the best is so small, appeals to the collector who wants a card but may not have a lot of extra $$ to spend.

Just like in our economy, the hardest hit are those in the middle.

Rich

Old 01-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Good piece of wisdom Rich. And you have been watching market trends as long as anyone in this hobby.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Rich- Need to add one notation to your theory... rarity or scarcity of certain issues need to be taken ito account. Those will undoubtedly stay strong. One reason for that is that they will contiunue to sell privately, and just like land... They ain't building any more of it.

Bruce - High grade cards will take a hit (not including rare or scarce issues) too, maybe even more than most because there will be less players who enter the high priced market for fear of a serious crash. I know I wouldn't enter the market or continue buying if I feel the market is going backwards. I would assume that most guys just hold tight and pick up cards cheap if they can.

The best thing to happen to our hobby is that it stays consistant and adds more collectors. That will ensure a healthy return (if that is what you are into it for) of investment. Me? I hope I can continue to aquire what makes me happy and in the end I would like to have something more to show for my passion.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Peter,

I'd be happy to prove to you my stance, but I'm afraid I won't have the oppurtunity in the vintage card market. My collections and collecting have always been motivated by factors other than monetary value. When I pull the trigger to acquire a four figure card it's not with the expectation of profit but with the idea I better get it now while I can.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Guys,

Long before this thread got started I set aside 5 cards I would keep in the event of a crash. It's a cautious but worthwhile approach. Also, it reminds us that the real reason we collect is because of the memories.

Peter

Old 01-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator

I agree with Darren,if the bottom drops out im buying as many cards as i can before the price goes back up and if it never did go back up then id have what i would consider the ultimate collection hopefully by the time im done. In all honesty i cant see that ever happening because there would be too many collectors who wont sell their cards now for twice what theyre worth so why would they sell them then for alot less?

For someone like me,once a card is in my collection that i really want,it has no monetary value.An example is i bought a card a few years ago for $12 that i wanted and about a year later i was offered $250 for it(which was about 3 times what it was worth) and i wouldnt sell it and it was because if i wanted an extra $250 i could work a few extra days at work for it but i might not get that card back anytime so i wasnt selling.The other side of the story is if i wanted to sell the card i still wouldnt have taken $250 for it because it was an $80-100 card at the time and the person was a fellow collector who ive talked to a few times so i wouldve charged them a fair price knowing full well they could possibly help me out sometime later

Old 01-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Good philosophy of life John. I admire your values.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator

John,

The fact that there are collectors like you is the reason the prices for vintage cards keep going up. A lot of us would not sale a prized card for double the going market price. So the market keeps bumping up the price until someone does sale.

On the other hand the mercenary investor keeps the prices low because they are ready to sale once they have their profit in hand.

Peter

Old 01-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Anyone who thinks that the vintage card market is going to crash and your just going to buy the cards you have always wanted, think again. If the market truly crashes, most likely our entire economy will be headed in the wrong direction and there will be some major problems in our society. None of you will be looking for a card if you need to feed your family or pay the gas bill. I do however; believe there will be a slight adjustment to prices as every market experiences. That is not a crash. Most collectors wouldn't just sell off their collections unless they had some major personal problems or they were getting out of the hobby. So, let's hope things continue at a reasonable pace and we all collect happily ever after.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Interesting topic; perhaps the high level of responsiveness reflects a little anxiety on the part of would-be buyers??

Bruce: “On those items priced between $500 and $5000, the market is generally limited to 20 or less people with specific collecting goals.” Don’t know which market you are referencing but it sure isn’t the one I operate in. There are many, many more collectors who spend in this range per card than your estimate. I’d guess hundreds if not thousands. I would bet that at least 50 people who participate on this board have spent in excess of $500 for a card in the last year. Also, I know you probably didn't mean it to sound that way but I really can't equate a PSA scandal with a terrorist strike. May want to rewrite that list of priorities a bit.

Ted: As I recall, the drop in card prices you referenced did not take place until the recession brought on by the Reagan administration to take down the late 1970s inflation. Plus, you are perhaps forgetting what was happening in cards at the time. Materials were pouring out of attics and closets, especially from the 1950s, and entering the market in huge quantities.

Peter: I don’t think anyone who collects prewar materials would base a collecting decision on Mark McGwire. If anything, the scandals of today‘s sport boost the appeal of older nostalgic materials.

John: Ditto. I’d not sell my cards for money that doesn’t impact my lifestyle. Now, if someone offered me enough to pay off my mortgage with, I’d probably do it.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Uh oh Adam, I didn't think we were talking mortgage money

Daniel

Old 01-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

To Dan K,since i have mentioned it twice that id buy alot of cards,im sure im in a different boat than most people on here. I barely make above minimum wage,i work at a restaurant with free food and drinks which i take advantage of and i have a meager rent to pay,besides that its a cell phone bill and car insurance and thats it,no wife no kids,no dependants unless you count my dog,and even his bills i share with my brother.So chances are ill still be in the same situation even if theres a large change in the market. I can move back home and pay no rent and use a family car and can my cell phone if it got real bad so technically i could then work part time somewhere and still be in the same financial situation i am now

So at least for me,i can safely say im sticking to my plan of buying as much as possible once that bottom drops out. Bring on that recession,just means less work for me!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Just that it would have to be that magnitude to take them away from me. Otherwise, they'll have to pry my cards from my cold, dead fingers.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

Personally, I would love to some "bearish" behavior. All the more for me to buy.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator

I like your style of thinking. I have cards in my collection that I have been offered big $$$$, and
many of them were acquired ages ago. So, you know I didn't pay much to get them; but, I'm not
going to part with them because I enjoy them. I am not an "investor", I am a true collector.

And, to your hopes of the BB market collapsing......it aint going to happen, ole buddy, as long as
INTEREST RATES stay as low as they are now. The stock market could take a dive, other factors
could go sour......but, as long as INTEREST RATES stay low, the collectibles market will flourish.
History has shown this to be true over a long period of time.

T-Rex TED

Old 01-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Ted i also have a strong hope that people start burning up cards from the 80's and early 90's so the ones i have will be worth something.Id sell the doubles of them and then put the money i made right back into the vintage card market to help keep it strong

Old 01-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

I still have 10's of 1000's of useless cards from 1981 to the early '90s. Boy, are you're right,
if there was some magic way of "wheeling-n-dealing" them into vintage stuff, I am all for it.

TED Z