NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Default Can someone please explain to me what this means?

Posted By: tbob

My shipment of cards sent to GAI about a month and a half ago has spent the last 8 days in the "sealing" department. Now I am assuming that means the place your cards go to be slabbed but 8 days???? I keep checking the website every day to see when my cards are being shipped (no, I am not paranoid, if you have been here for 2 years you'll remember how GAI and UPS lost a shipment of 26 E98s I had sent in including my only Old Put) but it keeps saying be patient old tbob, the cards are in the sealing department.
8 days to seal cards? What's up? Anyone?

Old 09-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

what was your service level bob? 10 day, 20 day?

p.s. stop sending stuff to gai...

Old 09-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

I don't know what's going on with GAI, they were very responsive to me over the first week when we were discussing them donating services to the auction.... but then they sort of fell off the map. Steve and Mike never seem to be in the office and Howard is out of town. They were at least responsive by email, but that has gone by the wayside as well.... that joss i just purchased is actually loose in the holder and i think the card has been nicked because of that.... i emailed them about possible solutions and they have yet to respond.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Unfortunately. my entire personal collection of vintage wax packs [1955 Topps BB, 1958 Topps BB, Davy Crockett 5 cent green, 1960 Topps BB and 5 others] were "in sealing" at GAI for days. My inquiries went nowhere. 7 weeks after submission, GAI sent me a check. My packs were never found. I hope this doesn't happen to you.

Frank

Old 09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FYS

"......(no I am not paranoid, if you have been here for 2 years you'll remember how GAI and UPS lost a shipment of 26 E98s I had sent in including my only Old Put)"

What is the old saying, fool me once, shame on you, fool me again and shame on me.

On a serious note, what made you submit to them again? Did they go the extra mile to correct your original problem?

Old 09-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

I hope you heard them right and the "sealing department" isn't really the "stealing department"

Old 09-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

tbob, i've had the same thing happen to me but each time i've been
overly eager and computed that GAI was having them hang in 'sealing'
because it was too early to get them on the way back to me.

are you in a similar boat?

I have probably 50 cards or so in GAI holders and have good responses
though i haven't dealt with them in probably 3 or 4 months.
i'm sure hoping that they are not going down in quality,etc.

all the best, tbob

Barry

Old 09-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Thanks Barry. I don't know what is going on with them, I am sure I am overreacting a little but I am a little gunshy (who wouldn't be). When my cards were lost I had a little difficulty getting things rolling to be reimbursed until I connected with the head of shipping who really went out of his way to see that I was paid. Nice guy, hope he is still there. GAI gave me 25 free submissions additionally to make up for the problem. Again, it was UPS who lost the package after grading.
I can't figure out why the cards have been in the sealing room for 8 days. I called 2 weeks ago and they were set to be shipped out Sept. 14. Hmmmmmm

Old 09-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

fool me three times--hey, you're pretty good at that!"

Old 09-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Administrator

In the sealing room, Day 10. Unanswered emails. Tomorrow will call and request an answer rather than try and access a web answer or email reply.
I don't want to bore anyone with all this but I think it might be important to someone else in the same boat or someone pondering where to submit cards. Frankly after the way GAI was so cordial and friendly at the National, I am a little surprised at all this...

Old 09-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Administrator

i should have mentioned that i usually call them and have had very good
luck over the phone.
i'm hoping that your call will result positively as well, tbob.
i'm crossing my fingers that GAI is still ok;
they've been good to me thus far
i'm also crossing my fingers for you,too.

all the best
Barry

Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Damian Anderson

come down to the big TWO? Never dealt with GAI but hearing negative things seems to be growing exponentially. Trims, overgrades, favoritism, etc. I know someone directly who knows little about graded cards but has big business contacts that told me an executive at GAI would take care of his raw ultra nice '59 Mantle "personally". Sorry to be discouraging. I hope your cards are safe. Best of luck.

D

Old 09-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Bob,

Maybe they're in the sealing room because they sealed them in the wrong capsules and they are now trying to figure out how to get the cards out without damaging them. Have you ever tried to open one of them Walmart counter packages...

Honestly, I hope that all goes well. I have a difficult time believing that they would actually try to cover something up. If something was wrong the first thing that they should do is contact you.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

My next to last submission has been at GAI ever since the second week of JULY!!!!!!! AND, I paid for NEXT DAY service (Which I was told by them they couldn't guarantee, b/c the T5 Mack was oversized)!!!!!! For two weeks, they have been giving me the run around. Tomorrow, I will call, since I don't have jury duty, and I will not be so polite this time. BTW - according to GAI and their website, my cards have been in sealing around 10 days as well. I had to send this bunch of cards to them, b/c SGC doesn't grade T5 cabinets. The bad part about this is that I expeceted my cards back three weeks ago (according to one of the "helpful" individuals there) and sold the Mack T5 that they are still holding on to!!!!!!!

DEFINITELY MY LAST SUBMISSION TO THESE IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

I hate to beat a dead horse, but it sounds like their s**t is not together. Again I have to say that I really like SGC and their service. They may grade tougher on some issues ,but the dealings I have had with them have been professional and so far, no problems. I consider the other grading companies a non-choice for me. Also, ups for card shipments? For packages from jc penny, that's fine, for graded cards I feel safe with fed ex. At least they won't leave a insured package on my doorstep like ups has done more than once.
My two cents, Chris
P.S Good luck T-Bob, I hope it turns out for you.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

GAI's website also stinks....

Old 09-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Administrator

I received a nice email from Mike Baker today responding to my latest inquiry. He apologized for the "sealing" delay and said it was because they have had to hire new sealers because of the increase in business lately. He also sent a letter providing some free submissions.
Thought in the interest of fairness I needed to post this and let people know.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Administrator

glad to hear it, night owl!

baker has always been helpful and honest with me.

i'm glad you got the complimentary submissions.

you deserve them!

let us know how the grades are when you get the cards back.

all the best, tbob

Barry

Old 09-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark McCleary

I submitted cards to GAI in person in the last week of June. I was going to be in Irvine again on Sept 1 (over 2 months later) and my cards in there 4th weeks of sealing. Steve ordered them sealed and they were ready the next day. Steve and Howard both asked me why cards submitted in June weren't ready before Sept. I apologized to them as I did not know the answer.

They also made a serious mistake on two five-figure cards that I submitted. The mistake may not be possible to rectify. Steve initially indicated that GAI would not compensate me. Then he conceded they may have to, but starts low-balling me as to the cards' values using ridiculous arguments that no forum member would fall for (eg, a card in an 8 holder is worth the same as in a gai auth holder because either way it's the same card). And whatever amount GAI may owe me, Steve of course wants to pay in free grading. I'm not mad about the mistake, but I shouldn't have to remind the company's owner five times that I'm an CA-licensed attorney just to get him to acknowlege I may be due compensation. If people are interested, I will post the details, but I'll first wait to see how the situation is resolved.