NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2022, 09:11 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default Can you personally watch the whole process of your card being graded?

Simple question: Can you personally watch the whole process of your card being graded? Meaning, you are there when they accept, review, slab, the whole thing. You never let the card leave your eyesight.

I have asked numerous collectors and dealers this question and received the same answer: No, not going to happen, 100 percent. No one (outside of employees) is allowed into the grading area. Not even for million dollar cards. Really? If so, this surprises me.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:17 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

They do on-site grading at the National, right?

I've never actually been, so I'm not sure if they whisk it behind the curtain or something.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-30-2022, 09:22 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post

I've never actually been, so I'm not sure if they whisk it behind the curtain or something.
They do, but not in front of you.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:44 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Simple question: Can you personally watch the whole process of your card being graded? Meaning, you are there when they accept, review, slab, the whole thing. You never let the card leave your eyesight.

I have asked numerous collectors and dealers this question and received the same answer: No, not going to happen, 100 percent. No one (outside of employees) is allowed into the grading area. Not even for million dollar cards. Really? If so, this surprises me.
No you can't. That's why the clowns with the rebacked fake Wagner claim they wouldn't submit it to a reputable company, because they were afraid it would be switched out. Forget the fact that it's a ridiculous fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI3mP8xV-KE
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-30-2022, 10:48 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I'm sure a TPG would allow it under certain circumstances - the right customer, the right card(s), and, of course, for the right price. However, I doubt the average Joe could make this arrangement happen.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:49 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
No you can't. That's why the clowns with the rebacked fake Wagner claim they wouldn't submit it to a reputable company, because they were afraid it would be switched out. Forget the fact that it's a ridiculous fake.

Bingo. They own a fake and are trying to play the race card, the victim card, and every other card under the sun to convince others it is real.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:25 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

My guess is this would never happen for anyone. Each of these TPGs more than likely have proprietary steps that they take and would not want some interloper coming in from off the street to 'watch' the process.

It comes down to protecting their product and how they implement their product. I doubt very seriously they are gonna start handing out NDAs to people either.

I would not ask nor would I expect them to let me watch this process either.

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:18 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post

not surprising

Still would be cool to see it in action and perhaps get some transparency to the industry

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-30-2022, 01:05 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
Old 11-30-2022, 01:59 PM
Dave Johnson

A number of years ago at the national in Chicago, (WAY before the huge lines PSA gets at the National these days) I did a 1 day turnaround on a high valued Bobby Jones Golf Card from the Abdulla set. It came back as a PSA 4 when I thought for sure it was a PSA 6 maybe a 7.

So, while sulking at the PSA table upon opening my order I asked if I could talk to someone to see why this only graded a 4.

Joe O. got someone to come out from behind the blue curtain to get me, they took me back there, put it under a much brighter light and then showed me a very small surface crease on the back of the card...which was not super easy to see even with the better direct lighting they had. While back there the "guy" showed me the machines sealing the cards in the holders (not quiet mind you those things were LOUD) and I basically was told they were happy to answer any question I had about my grades and made sure my questions were answered.

Doubt something like this would ever happen again in today's day and age, but It was cool to see "behind the curtain" so to speak, even if just for a few minutes. A pretty cool experience.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I'm sure a TPG would allow it under certain circumstances - the right customer, the right card(s), and, of course, for the right price. However, I doubt the average Joe could make this arrangement happen.
I knew people who had access to the PSA grading booth during the Baker Rocchi years. Some submitters are more equal than others.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
They make sure each venue for the National has a secret, underground, high-tech, Batcave-like setup for them to fully examine cards without anyone's prying eyes interfering. If you see a bust of Don Mossi in someone's booth, tilt the head back and push the button. This will give you access to the 'Batsmen Pole.'

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:53 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
They make sure each venue for the National has a secret, underground, high-tech, Batcave-like setup for them to fully examine cards without anyone's prying eyes interfering. If you see a bust of Don Mossi in someone's booth, tilt the head back and push the button. This will give you access to the 'Batsmen Pole.'
They were going to make it 'tilt the head forward' but Mossi's nose prevented it...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-30-2022, 04:04 PM
J@mes In.gram

With all the forensic analyses the fake Wagner went through in order to definitively, 100% conclusively determine it to be a fake (thickness derived from CT scan, microscopic printing analysis, etc.), I have to believe that any really high-dollar card would have to get a similar level of attention to detail by a respectable TPG. Zero possibility a fake gets through that. I highly doubt a lower echelon card, however, gets anywhere close to that kind of analysis.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 11-30-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:28 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
With all the forensic analyses the fake Wagner went through in order to definitively, 100% conclusively determine it to be a fake (thickness derived from CT scan, microscopic printing analysis, etc.), I have to believe that any really high-dollar card would have to get a similar level of attention to detail by a respectable TPG. Zero possibility a fake gets through that. I highly doubt a lower echelon card, however, gets anywhere close to that kind of analysis.
Let’s be honest, that was 100% to build tension for the show and to interest people with little knowledge of cards (like the owner). The hosts of the show know absolutely nothing about cards to the level of it being comedic and did this for production value. A cursory 30 second look could tell someone mildly skilled that the card is a fake and the pile of wasted money does not address the prevalent grading error of missing alterations. The fakes that pass, although they make great funny posts are an infinitesimally small number of completed graded items. Now doctored high grade, in my estimation, are much closer to a notable percentage. Adding several thousand dollars in CT testing to an already expensive process seems extraneous.

As it is, cards are inspected carefully and as most submitters use microscopic computer cameras to blow up cards for corner inspection and flaws, I assume the graders do as well. They are fairly inexpensive. The improvements really need to be removing opinions or a good or bad day for a grader. The human element is the flaw in the sauce for the huge variable grades shown by resubmitters.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:01 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Let’s be honest, that was 100% to build tension for the show and to interest people with little knowledge of cards (like the owner). The hosts of the show know absolutely nothing about cards to the level of it being comedic and did this for production value. A cursory 30 second look could tell someone mildly skilled that the card is a fake and the pile of wasted money does not address the prevalent grading error of missing alterations. The fakes that pass, although they make great funny posts are an infinitesimally small number of completed graded items. Now doctored high grade, in my estimation, are much closer to a notable percentage. Adding several thousand dollars in CT testing to an already expensive process seems extraneous.

As it is, cards are inspected carefully and as most submitters use microscopic computer cameras to blow up cards for corner inspection and flaws, I assume the graders do as well. They are fairly inexpensive. The improvements really need to be removing opinions or a good or bad day for a grader. The human element is the flaw in the sauce for the huge variable grades shown by resubmitters.
Totally agree with you, sir!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-01-2022, 08:19 AM
Steve Birmingham

At the international stamp show in 2006 they had a "roadshow" sort of thing. Not so much roadshow as an expert there who would give an opinion about one or two stamps.
I brought a couple, One I was pretty sure was a good one, and one I thought was great when I bought it but eventually had serious doubts but wasn't sure.

Total time for the expert to do the off the cuff opinion? Under 2 minutes total. Probably under 1 minute, but I wasn't timing it. The explaining took longer.
The good/bad news was that I was right on both, a big confidence boost.
Better still, the one that was good was very good, and now has a nearly required certificate(done much later) and the one I had doubts about was bought at about retail for what it really is.

So aside from as others have said, being showy, a card likely doesn't get extra scrutiny even though it should.
I've often thought the grades given Wagners in general are very generous. Look at most of them and think if it was a common would it have the same grade.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:57 AM
Drew W@i$e

Thanks all, appreciate the info.

Shocking they won't do it (as a standard). I believe some NET54 members have said they won't grade their cards and packs due to not seeing it through the process.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:09 AM
Steve Birmingham

As a good general rule you want to keep separation between the person doing the grading/authentication and the person having it done.
That eliminates a lot of potential problems with influence.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:23 AM

Default Ya know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
As a good general rule you want to keep separation between the person doing the grading/authentication and the person having it done.

..ya know , over the years , I heard things ; I heard things.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..ya know , over the years , I heard things ; I heard things.

LOL, you didn't have to hear things it is a service that has been offered on here before. I do not remember the exact details but certain people could get already graded cards reviewed one on one with the graders and they charge for that service.

Last edited by bnorth; 12-01-2022 at 11:46 AM.