NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2022, 07:52 AM
pete ullman

Default auction scene

As the steady stream of sportscard auctions continues into the end of the year...to me...it seems the quality of items being offered is greater than in recent years.

Some cards that really haven't been seen for sale/auction in the last 2 years...some early cobb postcards like the dietsche fielding specifically comes to mind.

Also a much more broad array of babe ruth cards are available these days...honey boys, lots of caramels, w's, spaldings...exhibits.

While it seems modern has corrected in many instances significantly...it will be interesting to see some hammers on vintage and if prices hold up...based on few comps in the last few years...and the sagging economy.

This is what I collect. Whats happening in your niche?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dietsche.jpg (102.7 KB, 722 views)
Old 11-20-2022, 08:28 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I counted 17 different t206s Cobb's in just one auction. Again, as a consignor, I find it hard to believe people accept this when consigning. Either

A. they are coming from one consignor

B. Consignors feel there is enough demand it wont hurt prices.

C. Dont ask, dont care

Though I have managed to win a few, I'm still being outbid even in the most random auctions, on obscure items. The eyeballs are still out there

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-20-2022, 10:01 AM
Adam

I’m having a hard time finding bargains on the things I like. A Mordecai Brown portrait in common back PSA 3 just sold over 2k, as an example (though I’m not specifically looking for that).

The mid to low grade 52T Mantle cards seem to be softening on price somewhat, though still way up from a couple of years ago.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:03 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

The Cobb rookie postcards seem to be still doing fine.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:20 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

I love the abundance of offerings, some really nice cards coming to market, and prices are strong for quality pre war. I can usually find several cards I'd like to add to the collection in each auction but you know how it is, watch 12, bid on 6, and hope to get 1.
I've throttled back on purchases a bit waiting to see what the next 12 months bring but I was fortunate to pick up a relatively rare Cobb at a good price at the last Heritage.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-20-2022, 10:23 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I love the abundance of offerings, some really nice cards coming to market, and prices are strong for quality pre war. I can usually find several cards I'd like to add to the collection in each auction but you know how it is, watch 12, bid on 6, and hope to get 1.
I've throttled back on purchases a bit waiting to see what the next 12 months bring but I was fortunate to pick up a relatively rare Cobb at a good price at the last Heritage.
Wow I am more like watch 18 bid 12 pray for 1 and walk away to bid on the next auction

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-20-2022, 11:26 AM

An auction house is like a someone's mouth. You can always find teeth that you want to look at. Right, Pete ?
Old 11-20-2022, 11:54 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Too much

Prices are high almost across the board on vintage at the AH … I snuck in a few I considered a good buy at the last REA but had to pay up to win 2 lots at the Heritage last week (and I use that term very loosely when you consider a “win” in a major auction means you paid more than anyone else on Planet Earth both sane and insane was willing to go!) . Then reality set in when the invoice came including the 20% juice plus the tax OUCH and the delivery I was up about 30% over my admittedly overly generous bids. Still happy with the cards but man I’m just going to stick with private purchases when they can be found…. fees and prices are making me put my wallet back in my pocket for a while.

Last edited by NiceDocter; 11-20-2022 at 11:56 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-20-2022, 11:55 AM
Johnny MaZilli

The US Consumer is super strong, they’re spending, especially bidders in all the big AH’s it’s so amazing to watch. I’ve concluded that as each year passes there are more and more collectors who will spend whatever it takes to get that special piece.

Last edited by Johnny630; 11-20-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:07 PM
Drew W@i$e

I believe a bunch of collectors have looked at card prices over the last three years and said, I don’t want to be left holding bag. Time to sell.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:17 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
The US Consumer is super strong, they’re spending, especially bidders in all the big AH’s it’s so amazing to watch. I’ve concluded that as each year passes there are more and more collectors who will spend whatever it takes to get that special piece.
Let’s hope the parallels between the 2020s and the 1920s don’t continue to the same conclusion.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-20-2022, 12:22 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Let’s hope the parallels between the 2020s and the 1920s don’t continue to the same conclusion.
They won't.

Parkplace33 For as many as you think don’t wanna be left holding the bag there sure as hell is a lot of others who want to take the bag no matter what they have to pay, they want the cards. It’s amazing the staying power of high-end quality vintage, it’s not coming down.

Last edited by Johnny630; 11-20-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:33 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
An auction house is like a someone's mouth. You can always find teeth that you want to look at. Right, Pete ?
the hobby you mean????? I've seen a lot...i've seen most...most of it has become kinda mundane...but every now and then something curious presents itself!
Old 11-20-2022, 07:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There are some tremendous items out there among the zillions of mainstream offerings. I am looking at a serious chase of two items in the upcoming auctions.

In some cases, the auctions are refining their offerings very nicely: fewer lots but really strong stuff. The latest LOTG is a great example. I don't really collect most of the items offered but I was very impressed with the selectivity of the items and how they were presented. It is one of the better reads of recent catalogs.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-20-2022, 11:51 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post

This is what I collect. Whats happening in your niche?
Hi Pete, that's a beautiful Cobb fielding pose! is that a recent pickup?

I think the Ruth/Gehrig market is softening a bit as others have observed. I expect things to continue to drop or be flat for the next couple of years except for those really rare or iconic cards (like the Ruth rookie).
Old 11-21-2022, 10:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Could be, Gary. I wouldn't mind a bit of weakening so I can add a few more Ruth cards to the accumulation.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-21-2022, 10:36 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Hi Pete, that's a beautiful Cobb fielding pose! is that a recent pickup?

I think the Ruth/Gehrig market is softening a bit as others have observed. I expect things to continue to drop or be flat for the next couple of years except for those really rare or iconic cards (like the Ruth rookie).
thx...had it over 10 years I believe.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:22 AM
Ron Rice

Default Auctions Lately

It seems to me that prices on prewar baseball are up substantially in 2021-2022 if looking at that market overall. There are always people buying and people wanting to sell. Some of the sellers are cashing in on the profits while others are worried about the direction of the US economy.

Some motivations for buyers are these:
1. Most prewar baseball has far out-performed most mutual funds and bonds in recent years.
2. Investing in a physical asset can be a hedge against inflation.
3. Some short-term Flippers are hoping to make a quick profit buying from one auction and relisting in another auction.
4. Cyber currencies are crashing, and digital collectibles might be a risky fad. Prewar baseball is now being seen as a more "conservative" type of investment by comparison. The prewar baseball "market" is well established now.