NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2022, 07:15 AM
Matt G

Default Cobb Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
Here’s a great radio interview of Ty Cobb with Leo Cloutier of Manchester, NH in 1958.

Ty is certainly humble in the recording.

https://youtu.be/Vm1lY8UeMN4
Thanks for sending this link Brian- very cool to listen to Cobb speak. Sounds like he did soften over the years, but no doubt about it the man was a competitor and fiery athlete.

I don't own this Green Cobb, but it's always been my favorite Cobb card. I was under the impression that I didn't want to own a Cobb card, but now I do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb Green.jpg (36.7 KB, 86 views)
Old 11-30-2022, 07:16 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

I think one aspect not mentioned is how Cobb became so famous at such a young age and what effect that would have had on him - or anyone.

At age 20, he won his first batting title and was the brightest young star of a sport experiencing a huge rise in popularity. He was well paid and received special treatment from his manager right from the start of his career. Basically, he had a lot of the same issues that many young, famous athletes have today when given piles of money and fame at a very young age.

My favorite Cobb:
1909 Cobb E95.jpg

Last edited by SAllen2556; 11-30-2022 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:27 AM
Aaron

Seems like a decent thread to post Burdick's Cracker Jack Cobb, now on display at the Met.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb_burdick_met.jpg (195.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 11-30-2022, 07:42 AM

Default Cobb?

This "Hamlet" quote seems fitting- "He was a man, take him for all in all,
(we) shall not look upon his like again." INCREDIBLE player, complex
person. Glad I own one of his T206s

Trent King
Old 11-30-2022, 07:54 AM
Al Richter

My wife’s grandfather was the liaison between H&B and most major league ball players who used Louisville Slugger bats. That included Ruth and Cobb. He and Cobb were close friends. Cobb was one of the pallbearers when her grandfather died. He liked Cobb so much he wanted to name my wife’s dad Tyrus. But her grandmother, who did not like Cobb at all, vetoed that idea.

I guess that proves nothing other than you would expect a ball player might be nice to the guy who supplied his bats.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:48 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
I think one aspect not mentioned is how Cobb became so famous at such a young age and what effect that would have had on him - or anyone. At age 20, he won his first batting title and was the brightest young star of a sport experiencing a huge rise in popularity. He was well paid and received special treatment from his manager right from the start of his career. Basically, he had a lot of the same issues that many young, famous athletes have today when given piles of money and fame at a very young age.
Yes, and making all the more amazing the examples of those who shared similar circumstances without succumbing to such blandishments. Walter Johnson comes to mind.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:41 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I can see how a personality as intense and as driven as Cobb by all accounts was, would alienate a lot of people, perhaps inadvertently. It is really hard to turn off the focused aggression. You can't do it on a dime, you need to decompress. I know that from personal experience as a litigator. The secretaries at one firm used to call me "the meanest man in the office" because I was so offensive when I was 'on', and it would carry over into my interactions with them. Took me years, and a few HR complaints, to get it under control. I can see that happening with Cobb. He probably needed some down time to decompress that he did not get before having to deal with others. And weed. Works for me

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-30-2022 at 11:45 AM.