NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Default New Member Question - Protocol - Not Leaving the "Sold" Price Up

Hi all - I'm sure this has been answered many, many times before, but what is the reasoning for deleting the final "sold" price? There are a ton of protocol questions I have. I hope you don't mind me asking as I am new to the community.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:11 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Hi all - I'm sure this has been answered many, many times before, but what is the reasoning for deleting the final "sold" price? There are a ton of protocol questions I have. I hope you don't mind me asking as I am new to the community.
I would like to see them too

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-11-2020, 05:18 PM

This has been discussed numerous times over the 5 years since I joined the board. There is no rule, as there should not be - each person’s listing is theirs and they can post, keep, or remove whatever they want. Perhaps if you PM the seller you may get an answer, but they are under no formal or informal obligation to provide you one. The BST is place to buy, sell and trade - it is not a price guide.

Also, you can “bump” your listings as often as you want, but you may gain a reputation if you start pulling a Mize - bumping your listing super-often many many times and it does not sell. BTW- that’s only one of several unsavory tactics that we could call a “Mize”

Long story short - no obligation to leave price; it’s totally up to the parties
Old 11-11-2020, 05:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

There have been many threads regarding this very topic. Try to search it out to see if you can find them. Just know, people seem to get pretty 'fired up' about what side of the equation they are on. It's a bit weird.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:21 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
This has been discussed numerous times over the 5 years since I joined the board. There is no rule, as there should not be - each person’s listing is theirs and they can post, keep, or remove whatever they want. Perhaps if you PM the seller you may get an answer, but they are under no formal or informal obligation to provide you one. The BST is place to buy, sell and trade - it is not a price guide.

Also, you can “bump” your listings as often as you want, but you may gain a reputation if you start pulling a Mize - bumping your listing super-often many many times and it does not sell. BTW- that’s only one of several unsavory tactics that we could call a “Mize”

Bumped...
Old 11-11-2020, 05:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:

I believe there is kinda a rule. You are not supposed to delete the listing completely, we do have a member that does it though. You can remove the price. That is my understanding anyway. Also I think you are only supposed to bump every few days. Some bump way more and it is kinda annoying.

Last edited by bnorth; 11-12-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:35 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Getting a ton of emails and interest, still available
Old 11-11-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeboo View Post
Getting a ton of emails and interest, still available
Hilarous...

Thanks guys. This is going to sound ridiculous, but I am not handling the "search" function well. Same thing with the Imperial C46 questions I had.

I'll do my best to do better searches.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Here is a fine solution to the search problem (and once again, I forgot who to credit, so I apologize):

A far better way to search the forum for old posts is to go to the url/address box and type "search site:www.net54baseball.com" (without the quotes) followed by a space and then whatever it is that you want to search for. This will let you use Boolean operators built into Google that Net54 doesn't allow (AND and OR) and quotation marks to search for an exact phrase. It is much better than using the forum's search option.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 11-11-2020, 06:05 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Both Net54 and Blowout's search engines also ignore all three character search terms, so PSA, SGC, BGS, C46, etc all don't get searched for properly. You've got to use the "site:" thing explained above to really find those in searches.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:11 PM

This has always driven me crazy. I have been on this forum for a long time but I sometimes go several days without checking.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:12 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I believe there is kinda a rule. You are not supposed to delete the listing completely. You can remove the price. That is my understanding anyway. Also I think you are only supposed to bump every few days. Some bump way more and it is kinda annoying.
Ben, exactly my understanding as well. Basically if everyone deleted their post entirely, the place would look like a ghost town. A couple reason people might delete the price 1) the buyer might not want other people knowing what they paid 2) the seller might not want people to know what they gave away 3) with no price, it stops the next person from saying I would have given you x more. Others leave the price up and their post gets bumped 10 years later asking if the card is still available.

Regarding bumping threads, it is generally not advised to bump more than once every 3 days or so. Don't be that guy whose post always has to be at the top and knock everyone else down the page. Basically, play nice and you'll fit right in.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 11-11-2020, 06:34 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Ben, exactly my understanding as well. Basically if everyone deleted their post entirely, the place would look like a ghost town. A couple reason people might delete the price 1) the buyer might not want other people knowing what they paid 2) the seller might not want people to know what they gave away 3) with no price, it stops the next person from saying I would have given you x more. Others leave the price up and their post gets bumped 10 years later asking if the card is still available.

Regarding bumping threads, it is generally not advised to bump more than once every 3 days or so. Don't be that guy whose post always has to be at the top and knock everyone else down the page. Basically, play nice and you'll fit right in.

DJ
God I wish I deleted that Plank Mothers Bread thread!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

For me as a buyer, when a price is removed and replaced with "sold" it becomes pretty clear cut to see availability. It's especially useful if multiple cards are for sale. Frankly, at that point I don't really care what it sold for.

Of course there is the debate that some like to keep sale prices private while others want them public, but your thoughts fall where they do on that.

Personally, I like having access to sales records on auction house websites and eBay as that is how I determine an acceptable price range. It gives me a starting point at least and there is enough data there to make a decent decision for most items no matter where the item is being sold. I'd much rather look at recent sales than any price guide. However, I think the B/S/T operates as a different beast in many aspects.

Last edited by oldeboo; 11-11-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:40 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
lol
Old 11-11-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I want that!!!!

Another one is whether you must put all cards in one post or whether you make many posts. Suppose you have a bunch of t206s to sell- post them all in one post or can you post each card in a separate post? I think it’s widely regarded that multiple listings from the same set (say E-99 or t206) should all be put in same post. But what if you have a bunch of different E cards, like an E105, e103, a few e92 (different backs), and D304 dot good measure. And they all have “razor sharp corners”

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-11-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:52 PM
je.sse @rnot

I believe I started a similar thread a couple years ago. As others have said opinions range from strong feelings one way or the other, with others who don't really care. I do not believe prices should be removed, or listings without prices should be allowed.

But this is Leon's board and he has stated many times he prefers as few rules as possible.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:54 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
I want that!!!!
Here's the card Pete is referring to

Old 11-11-2020, 06:57 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Quote:
Here's the card Pete is referring to
Pretty card for a "2"
Old 11-11-2020, 07:09 PM
Doug Goodman

It doesn't bother me when sellers replace the price with "sold".

It wouldn't bother me if they just put (SOLD) next to the price.

But...

If the price is left, that doesn't mean that the item sold for that price. There is often a bit of bargaining behind the scenes between the time that the price is posted and the "sold" is added.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 11-11-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:11 PM

I'm really experiencing a lot of regret not finding this forum 15 years ago...
Old 11-11-2020, 07:33 PM

DJ, do you own it now?
Old 11-11-2020, 07:39 PM
Craig L.

Quote:
pulling a Mize
Killing me with this one
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back
Old 11-11-2020, 07:41 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
DJ, do you own it now?
I deserve a cut of this potential blockbuster deal!!!!!
Old 11-11-2020, 07:43 PM
Steve Murray

I always delete the price.

Since I list items at ridiculously low prices many are sold to re-sellers who would prefer that what they paid not be of record.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:05 PM
George E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm really experiencing a lot of regret not finding this forum 15 years ago...
This place is great. I check in on it weekly, if not daily, and yet I often go years between buying a card - that's how great this site is.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:55 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
DJ, do you own it now?
Ryan, yes I do, however, I have no desire to move it right now.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Tony Ooten

I strike through my price and write SOLD next to it.

I wish everyone would do that..... it would help with pricing cards. Ultimately it doesn't really matter to me though.

My own "when to bump" rules of thumb are:

I try to wait at least a month, unless I'm super- eager to sell, then I wait till it falls to the 2nd page (about 25 posts down?).
Old 11-12-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Ryan, yes I do, however, I have no desire to move it right now.
I understand. We may have a trade in us one day involving a red crofts and a mother’s bread! Otherwise, you know I have lots of stuff! Awesome card
Old 11-12-2020, 10:55 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post

If the price is left, that doesn't mean that the item sold for that price. There is often a bit of bargaining behind the scenes between the time that the price is posted and the "sold" is added.

Doug
'Zactly, all we really know is the the listed price was the asking price.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 11-12-2020, 12:14 PM
Bry@n

You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Here is a fine solution to the search problem (and once again, I forgot who to credit, so I apologize):

A far better way to search the forum for old posts is to go to the url/address box and type "search site:www.net54baseball.com" (without the quotes) followed by a space and then whatever it is that you want to search for. This will let you use Boolean operators built into Google that Net54 doesn't allow (AND and OR) and quotation marks to search for an exact phrase. It is much better than using the forum's search option.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Bry@n

I used to delete my ask but then changed because I think it is great to have prices in old posts as a reference. If I get my ask, I leave it and type SOLD. If I don't, I put a slash through the price and put SOLD next to it so people know I accepted an offer.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

It's up to the seller and/or buyer, and that's all there is to it. They're under no obligation to reveal if they don't want to.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
You're welcome.
This time, I typed in JOBU in big, capitalized, bold letters above where I have that beautiful piece of information saved. Next time I break it out, BAM!!! you will be cited.

Casey Stengel

Old 10-05-2022, 03:28 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I know this is an old thread (and one of many that covered the same ground), but there has been an alarming increase in the number of people removing the sold prices from their FS threads. It seems everyone is editing them to have "$SOLD" as the final price, so anyone not seeing the original post cannot glean any information from it. These days, with the card market being a single tumbleweed away from turning into the wild west, I implore you to leave the sold prices up!!!! It helps your fellow collectors.

Casey Stengel

Old 10-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Rick Clemens

I delete the price so that a buyer has privacy. I also prefer a pm from a buyer to let me know if they want to buy an item as opposed to a post stating a I will take it. If they choose to post "pm sent" to mark the order in which a commitment comes in that make sense as well. Once the item is purchased, I think the buyer and new owner should have the right to sell it on the board again without someone referencing what they paid for it
Old 10-06-2022, 09:55 AM
Steve Birmingham

I don't think it matters for most cards. At this point, they have fairly well understood values outside of things like pandemics making everyone crazy.
For most a simple search of ebay completed items provides a good approximate price.

But for less commonly traded things, it's good having a price somewhere, anywhere.

I don't particularly care what someone paid, and consider it a pretty tacky negotiating tactic. If I do know, I keep it to myself and might use it as a guide if it was recent. Like if I know someone paid 50, the chances of getting close to that are low so I probably wouldn't even try. (being an opportunistic collector, I generally don't negotiate, either the deal is good, or I just pass it up- just like at shows)

WFIW, a lot of my cards were bought in the 80's... bringing up what I may have paid would be incredibly irrelevant.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:32 AM
Mike

My screenname is slightly relevant. Also, as a fellow newbie I cannot thank you all enough for all the wonderful help during my brief time. I may not post that much, but enjoy reading daily!!
Old 10-06-2022, 10:47 AM
Todd Schultz

On the few occasions where I was seller, I generally leave the price up unless the buyer asks me to remove it. As buyer, I couldn't care less if the price is left showing.

I can see where a seller may not want to show the sales price if there was a noticeable discount given through pms or emails. He would not want to mislead by leaving the original asking price up, yet may think it weakens his negotiating position in future sales if it is shown he has reduced a lot or often in the past.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-06-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:13 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:

+1
Old 10-08-2022, 07:44 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

I found a solution to not leaving a data trail. I delete my for sale items before I post them. Problem solved.
...whatever I want
Old 10-08-2022, 12:05 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Other than the written rules, there are no unwritten rules on the board. There are some common ideas of hobby etiquette (Don't point out an active auction on eBay, as others may be bidding on it), but even that is not a rule.

Obviously, though it's not written, if someone comes on the board and calls everyone assholes etc. every other post they may be given a time-out.