NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM

Default E90-1 American Caramel exclusive artwork

As most of us collectors know, there are many vintage sets that share at least a portion of their artwork with other contemperaneous issues. An example would be the T206 set whose artwork can be seen in the various T213 Coupon issues, T214 Victory, T215 Pirate, T215 Red Cross, etc. A similiar situation occurs between the various associated small caramel 'E' sets. There is a pool of images that run through 14 different issues, including some bread and tobacco sets, which are listed below:

E90-1 American Caramel
E92 Crofts Candy
E92 Crofts Cocoa
E92 Dockman
E92 Nadja
E101
E102
E105 Mello Mint
E106
D303 General Baking
D303 Mother Bread
T216 Kotton
T216 Mino
T216 Virginia
Tango Eggs

What I feel compelled to do is provide a list of the 73 E90-1 cards with artwork that can exclusively be found in the E90-1 set. Why, you are compelled to ask? Because I am a front collector, and information like this matters to me...in my opinion it makes these cards more special because their likenesses can't be found elsewhere. There are plenty in this group that are among my favorite E90-1 cards, such as the George Davis, Hugh Duffy, both Joss cards, the Keeler trio, McGinnis, Stahl, Willis and the Cy Young portrait. There are also artistic stink-bombs such as the Joe Jackson card. So I thought I might share a list of these cards so that other like-minded collectors can add this to their reference arsenal. I have updated the list to include information provided by fellow Net54 members. The Krause card, according to Paul K, exists in the D380 set as seen in the Burdick collection...would love to see an image of it. Until then it is duly noted below.

Artwork exclusive to the E90-1 American Caramel set:

Baker
Bell
Bender - pitching
Blankenship
Bliss
Bradley
Bransfield - 'P' on uniform
Bransfield - no 'P' on uniform
Brown - Boston
Brown - Chicago Cubs
Butler
Camnitz
Chance - front view
Clarke - both Phila + Pitts variations
Clement
Corridon
Crawford - orange background
Criger
Davis - batting
G. Davis
Donlin
Donovan -hands low
Dooin - fielding
Duffy
Dygert
Graham
Grant
Gray
Groom
Hall
Heitmuller
Irwin
Isbell
Jackson
Jennings - portrait
Jordon
Joss - throwing
Karger
Keeler - portrait pink
Keeler - portrait red
Keeler - throwing
Knight - orange background
Krause (believed to be in D380 set)
Leach - batting
Leach - throwing
Leever
Lumley
Mathewson - vertical
McGinnis
McIntyre
Mitchell - Cincinnati
Mitchell - New York
O'Connor
O'Leary
Overall
Pastorius
Richie
Schaeffer - vertical
Schlitzer
Sheckard
Stahl
Sweeney - Boston
Tannehill - Chicago AL
Tannehill - Chicago NL
Tenney
Thomas - batting
Thomas - catching
Unglaub
Walsh
Willis
Young - portrait

Would love to hear any thoughts or corrections concerning this list...and feel free to post any of the above (if you post any not on the list I will poke fun at you):

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 11-22-2022 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Changed list and amount of exclusive cards
Old 06-15-2013, 11:48 AM

Interesting list -- that had to take some time, effort, and knowledge of the set. I'm also a fan of the George Davis card (I really like the orange sunset background with the batting pose, and it's one of a handful of E90-1 cards in my collection).

I was on the fence on your inclusion of the Addie Joss portrait. The portrait itself is used in other sets, but if you are defining this strictly as "exclusive artwork", well... I guess you are right on that one -- the artwork is different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joss.jpg (28.2 KB, 740 views)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Interesting list -- that had to take some time, effort, and knowledge of the set. I'm also a fan of the George Davis card (I really like the orange sunset background with the batting pose, and it's one of a handful of E90-1 cards in my collection).

I was on the fence on your inclusion of the Addie Joss portrait. The portrait itself is used in other sets, but if you are defining this strictly as "exclusive artwork", well... I guess you are right on that one -- the artwork is different.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that e90-1 Joss image appears in the D380 / Clement Bread set.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_collector View Post
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that e90-1 Joss image appears in the D380 / Clement Bread set.

Regards,

Richard.
Good points Chuck and Richard. It definitely appears like they used the same image in both the T206 and E90-1 sets, with obvious adjustment in size and a few modifications in the uniform.

And I did not even consider the D380 Clement set when I was researching...I think I have seen the D380 Joss with the exact 'E90-1' artwork, just in black and white. Definitely something to consider giving an asterick to in my listing.

Brian
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Paul

Default D380 artwork

The Joss portrait, Krause, Mullin and Summers artwork all appears in the D380 set.

Last edited by pkaufman; 06-15-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Nap

Lajoie in E90-1 may not be totally unique among ALL sets, but that pose is different than most of the other caramels he appears in...

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 AM

Thanks Paul...those D380's are certainly an interesting and elusive set. I will update the list to include this info.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaufman View Post
The Joss portrait, Krause, Mullin and Summers artwork all appears in the D380 set.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Paul

Default D380's

It's funny, but the Krause has never appeared on any D380 checklist. I was able to find one contained in the Jefferson Burdick Collection at the MET. I have also just acquired a D380 Chase portrait that has been on the checklists, but was not known in any collection. Much remains to be discovered about the extent of the D380 major leaguers. An interesting thread Brian !
Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: E90-1 American Caramel exclusive artwork

I haven't analyzed the entire list, but surely we need to add Upp to it.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Default Uppsie Daisy

Thanks Ed...I added Upp to the list. You could say that I messed up when I missed Upp.

Should've been in advertising.

Brian
Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Scott

Default need to add this one:

you forgot the rarest (population report wise) card in the entire e90-1 set...

no, not the mitchell or jackson...

George Stone (Left hand Visible) has exclusive art work and it is THE RAREST CARD in the E90-1 set with a scant 25 Total SGC and PSA copies graded!

even hard core Caramel Collectors may be hard pressed to recognize this card!
very rarely seen!

edited :my bad...Nadja Caramel may have this...sorry....still the rarest of the E90-1

Last edited by ScottFandango; 06-27-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
pete ullman

it looks like there was a george stone on ebay in may that didn't sell for $40?!?!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
it looks like there was a george stone on ebay in may that didn't sell for $40?!?!

this set had traditionally been classified by old school metrics...

the new metrics (aged population reports) shows this is the hardest card to find/get!

the grandfathers of collecting did not have Pop reports to help determine rarity levels...
Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Ed Hans

Default Re: E90-1 American Caramel exclusive artwork

Pop reports notwithstanding, there's no way that Stone-left hand is the toughest card in the set. It's a moderately difficult card, but nowhere near the toughest.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Robert A

Nice thread. Interesting that many of the original artwork players are tough to find. Not all, but many stand out as the toughest (and nicest imo) in the set.

D380: What a strange mix of players. I'd think there may be a couple additional D380s not found that share this original artwork. Need to match up the cleveland, st louis, and detroit players with your list and see if any are possible.

Rob
Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
Pop reports notwithstanding, there's no way that Stone-left hand is the toughest card in the set. It's a moderately difficult card, but nowhere near the toughest.

Ed thanks for chiming in as i believe you have great knowledge of this set!
However, i am being totally objective...many times subjectivity comes into play after collectors collect and complete a set...they have personal experiences that may sculpt their beliefs on the difficulty of a specific card...this IS however Subjective...Population reports are more accurate than all the collective beliefs of collectors...Even master collectors like yourself can propogate long held beliefs of card rarities that may not be reflective in black and white:POP REPORTS
Old 06-27-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Population reports are more accurate than all the collective beliefs of collectors
How can we be so sure? Pop reports, for some cards, can be grossly inaccurate. Regrades, crossovers, and the fact that many examples of a particular issue may not have even been sent in for grading -- these are all factors that make pop report studying an inexact science, to say the least.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
How can we be so sure? Pop reports, for some cards, can be grossly inaccurate. Regrades, crossovers, and the fact that many examples of a particular issue may not have even been sent in for grading -- these are all factors that make pop report studying an inexact science, to say the least.

GROSSLY INNACURRATE? totally disagree...

if anything, a pop report may be INFLATED by 1 or 2 due to crossover/crack resubmit...so if anything, you can correctly assume that there are actually LESS graded versions than the pop reports show...

so if a card has very few graded examples relative to the rest of the set, this shows an accurate depiction (if not overstated) of the rarity level of the card...far from GROSSLY INNACURRATE...
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Default Updated list

I updated the list in the original post based upon the input received from fellow Net54 member. If you are looking at this, I suggest you check out the related thread I just posted of E90-1card images found in other sets.

Brian
Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Scott

Default Upp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Thanks Ed...I added Upp to the list. You could say that I messed up when I missed Upp.

Should've been in advertising.

Brian
I believe the Upp card is the ONLY card of UPP !

Can't say that about many cards!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Scott

Default H Howell

Pet peeve: Why is the Howell E 92 called "ready to pitch" and the e90-1 called "wind-up" when they are the same front? These 2 happen to be the only "wind-up" pose of Howell...definitely the rare pose of this player....
Old 11-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Scott

would be cool to have a set of these 76 subjects....it would me a most unique set!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:47 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
would be cool to have a set of these 76 subjects....it would me a most unique set!
It would be neat, but it does include the Jackson and for the price if I ever had the money I still couldn't bring myself to pay that much for one of the worst looking cards from the set.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Default E90-1 specialness

One of the reasons I like the E90-1 set is the fact that, unlike many of the other small sized candy issues of the era, there is unique artwork seen in the set. Artistically speaking many of my favorite E90-1 cards happen to be on this list as well.

Brian
Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
It would be neat, but it does include the Jackson and for the price if I ever had the money I still couldn't bring myself to pay that much for one of the worst looking cards from the set.
It may take some heat for being "ugly" put the joe Jackson is the only purple card in the set and a very distinctive card!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:18 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelMan View Post
It may take some heat for being "ugly" put the joe Jackson is the only purple card in the set and a very distinctive card!
HAHA maybe that is a reason I don't like it. I was just telling a friend this morning that purple is my least favorite color.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 AM
pete ullman

Purple is the color of dentistry...St Applonia...the patron saint of Dentistry wore purple...and this is why dental school graduates wear purple...like Prince!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Purple is the color of dentistry...St Applonia...the patron saint of Dentistry wore purple...and this is why dental school graduates wear purple...like Prince!
We are going of topic (but hey I don't mind keeping this thread on the front page), but Purple is a color of distinction and a symbol of royalty. Yet I am still not a fan. It was an epiphany I had last year when a customer wanted me to design something for them and wanted the background to be purple, I kept finding myself trying to make it more blue (I had to finally concieve that the client wanted purple, and I would have to give it to them).
Old 11-22-2022, 02:33 PM

Because of Steve's recent post concerning the lack of card history posts (and I interpret that to mean informational card posts as well), I decided to unearth this 9 year old thread and give it life again. Why the heck not?

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 11-22-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:11 PM

Nice Brian.

Here are examples of all the backs listed in the first post, except the T216 Virginia Extra, which I have never owned. I also added a Menagerie back, which is a mistake on a Wagner batting I own and a blank back, which comes on a Wagner Throwing front. Also, E90-2 and E104-II have the same fronts, although the E90-2 has the same back as E90-1 and the E104-II back is blank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E90-1 Wagner, Batting - Back.jpg (103.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg E92 Cobb Crofts Cocoa - Back.jpg (96.2 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg E92 Crofts Candy Black - Wagner Throwing - Back.jpg (93.9 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg E92 Crofts Candy Blue Wagner Batting -- Back.jpg (58.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg E92 Evers, Red Crofts Candy - Back.jpg (65.8 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg E92 Cobb Nadja - Back.jpg (88.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg E92 Wagner Batting, Dockman - Back.jpg (58.9 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg E101 Young - Anonymous - set of 50 (back).jpg (18.9 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg E102 Cobb, PSA 4 -Back.jpg (111.7 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg E105 Wagner, Batting - Back.jpg (179.1 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg E106 Cobb, Standing - Back.jpg (98.6 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg D303 Mothers Bread, Bender, Brooklyn - Back.jpg (189.8 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg D303 Collins - Back.jpg (88.0 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg T216 Cobb, Kotton 1-2-3, Standing - Back.jpg (69.1 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg T216 Kotton Wagner Batting -- Back.jpg (70.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg T216 MINO Cobb Standing - Back.jpg (109.6 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg E92 Wagner Dockman-Managerie - Back.jpg (44.7 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg E92 Wagner, Throwing, Blank Back -- Back.jpg (66.8 KB, 198 views)
Old 11-22-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Nice Brian.

Here are examples of all the backs listed in the first post, except the T216 Virginia Extra, which I have never owned. I also added a Menagerie back, which is a mistake on a Wagner batting I own and a blank back, which comes on a Wagner Throwing front. Also, E90-2 and E104-II have the same fronts, although the E90-2 has the same back as E90-1 and the E104-II back is blank.
Thanks Ryan for the great back visuals!

Brian
Old 11-22-2022, 03:51 PM

Default Davis

Here is a pose exclusive to the E90-1 set that I can post now, since I didn't own it when the thread was started 9 years ago...let's see some others!

Old 11-22-2022, 07:53 PM

All but the Oakes in this E90-1 conglomeration have artwork exclusive to the E90-1 set. And while checking on each one for this, I discovered that my original list failed to include O'Leary, so I have updated it.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e90sunsets358.jpg (174.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 11-22-2022, 08:16 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
All but the Oakes in this E90-1 conglomeration have artwork exclusive to the E90-1 set. And while checking on each one for this, I discovered that my original list failed to include O'Leary, so I have updated it.

Brian
Beautiful backgrounds on these. E-90 is such a mixed bag for me aesthetically, a number of gorgeous cards like these and some hideously ugly ones too. I’ll take Tim Jordan over Shoeless Joe 8 times a week.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:05 AM
Ron Rice

Default E90

The Jordon (Jordan) is one of my all-time favorite poses on any card. Here's a couple more "originals"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heitmuller E90 b.jpg (44.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Bradley E90-1.jpg (96.9 KB, 87 views)