NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Default Ebay Time Issue

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that has noticed this. Have any of you been watching the time as the seconds tick down on a card, and then all of a sudden, a few more seconds (1-3) add back onto the clock? It's the weirdest thing. My computer isn't even lagging when this happens.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Dan Bretta

I've seen it happen many times, and not just recently. I saw it happen more than 6 months ago, maybe a year now.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM

Exactly. I makes me wonder what's going on, or maybe the timer just gets messed up so it afds the extra seconds to compensate for messed up time.

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 AM
Jason Stricker

I've had this happen to me as well and I've lost auctions because of it (thinking I had more time left to bid than I really did).
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Mark Fox

While you might not notice a lag in your network connection, even the fastest network, running at near prime conditions can and will experience lags. Depending on your computer and connection, there can be anywhere from zero to ten seconds of delay. On my desktop Mac connected via cable modem, I see between zero and two seconds delay, on my slower laptop over wireless, I have seen 4-5 seconds delays. It’s just a fact of the internet, even today with the connection speeds as high as they have become over the years. Ebay’s automatic timer, and your web browser do their best to remain in sync but the fact of the matter is they cannot remain in sync in real time perpetually.

Instead of relying on the timer imbedded in the webpage, which is susceptible to network lag, I rely on the actual time that the auction is listed to end. It’s located right next to the timer (Aug 22, 2012 05:40:49 PDT). At the bottom of every Ebay page is a link for the Official Ebay Time, it will show you a page with the current official Ebay time, a static time from when the page loaded, across all four time zones. I have a small digital clock next to my computer that I sync as best I can with Ebay Official Time about once every other week. If I had to guess, my digital clock is usually within 0.5 seconds of the Official Ebay Time. I ignore the timer on the webpage, and go strictly off the digital lock sitting on my desk.

Granted this is for the rare instances where I am bidding right at the end of an auction. 99.9% of the time I place the max bid I'm willing to pay on an auction a day or two before it’s set to end and let it go. Usually when I sit there and pay attention to an auction is when I over pay for something because I get caught up in the moment.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Zach

Yup I notice the flutter for years now. As a sniper bidder I have always had to take this into account, so I snipe within 10-15 seconds before the auction ends, just to be safe.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Yup. It causes my bidding to be all messed up and i dont have the same advantage.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
Yup I notice the flutter for years now. As a sniper bidder I have always had to take this into account, so I snipe within 10-15 seconds before the auction ends, just to be safe.
Not to completely side-track the thread, but I've always wondered what the point of snipe bidding is. It seems to me that if you set a max price you are willing to pay at the outset, then there is little benefit to snipe bidding at the end. But I may be missing something. Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Jim M.arinari

I have always found that showing interest early tends to stir the competitive juices, increasing the odds of a bidding war. Placing max proxy does two things. One is that you open yourself up to shilling. The other is it invites the "pickers", legit bidders who try and find what your max is so they can bid accordingly. These are the guys who will make 20 bids in $1.50 increments.

Now if you bid your max too early, you will notice someone else will do the same, be outbid and increase their max. If you are able to be the last one in, it leaves them no chance to rebid. Thus you save money. And win the item.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrow9 View Post
Not to completely side-track the thread, but I've always wondered what the point of snipe bidding is. It seems to me that if you set a max price you are willing to pay at the outset, then there is little benefit to snipe bidding at the end. But I may be missing something. Thoughts?
Exactly what Jim said in the thread below yours. He hit the nail on the head. I do not want to increase the demand.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Makes sense, thanks for the responses.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
If you are able to be the last one in, it leaves them no chance to rebid. Thus you save money. And win the item.
Exactly.

A last second bid at your max either wins the item or doesn't. You don't have time to increase your own max, and anybody who you have outbid has no time to bid again.

I only bid early on items that I know will go for more than the early bids as a way of "marking" that as an item that I have particular interest in.

As an example I collect scored scorecards. If a guy has 10 of them in separate auctions, but one of them is Mantle homerun game, or a Koufax game, or something similar, I may bid on that one while putting all of them on my watch list.

Doug