NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default PSA JSA actual lower prices for auto seekers

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I recently made a good autograph find I'll be sharing shortly, and I'm thinking NOT having a JSA or PSA helped keep the price down.

With so many people only buying if it has a LOA when they do come up without one you can get a better deal.

So as much harm as they do, now because they are so big they are actually helping lower prces.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Steve Zarelli

If you can authenticate yourself and seek out items without TPA certification, you are part of a smaller pool of people competing for that item. So, yes, bargains are to be had, most especially with more common material. I got all my Mantles unauthenticated for a fraction of what I would have paid if they had JSA or PSA.

That said, in my opinion, there are very few bargains for "unauthenticated" blue chip autographs. Why? Because the people who know what they are doing -- including dealers -- are always watching and willing to bid these items up knowing they are good.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Banned

It's a myth that sellers get higher prices for psa or jsa authenticated items, if that was the case, then richard simon, jim stinson, myself and others would be fools for not using them. the truth is that dealers can get the same prices that jsa and psa brings plus they can skip the high authentication fees.

i lost money on an autograph i had jsa authenticate because i thought the jsa name would add value to my autograph. it didn't. i just ended up with a high fee and no expertise in the boxing area from someone who doesn't know boxing at all. that goes double for grad.

Last edited by travrosty; 03-22-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
It's a myth that sellers get higher prices for psa or jsa authenticated items, if that was the case, then richard simon, jim stinson, myself and others would be fools for not using them. the truth is that dealers can get the same prices that jsa and psa brings plus they can skip the high authentication fees.

i lost money on an autograph i had jsa authenticate because i thought the jsa name would add value to my autograph. it didn't. i just ended up with a high fee and no expertise in the boxing area from someone who doesn't know boxing at all. that goes double for grad.
But do u agree some buyers out there only buy autos that have certs?

And thus if a genuine is out there w/o a cert, that eliminates part of the buying pool, because some won't touch it. Which in turn helps the rest of the buyers who don't need that piece of paper.

I'm talking an auction, not a buy it now. Because yes dealers with or without the cert know the value of their auto, of course many inflate it, which is their choice, may or may not sell, but if you start an auction at 9.99 that is genuine but doesn't have the cert, it will go for less then if it had it.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 AM

Default JimStinson

Really good thread ! I'd like to add a couple OBSERVATIONS not controversy or debate , And want to be very clear that what I'm about to say is in no way a negative observation of ANY TPA, as that topic has already been discussed into the ground and no need to go over it again other than to say that those services obviously fill a market demand and as a result make alot of money doing it which basically is what any business is designed to do.

Using hindsight as an example , I can remember being a regular on the baseball card show circuit. Even BEFORE the advent of card grading. In those days everyone that wasn't a baseball card dealer WANTED to be one because there was so much money to be made. I never dealt in baseball cards so I used to just marvel at buyers carrying hand trucks full of boxed card sets out to their waiting vans.

Almost all of the time I was the only person in the show buying and selling autographs. A good show for me in those days was if I sold maybe $500.00 over the course of a 3 or 4 day show. By comparison the card dealers on either side of me would be taking in $5,000 to $10,000 in sales. As a result card shows were BOOMING , there was a baseball card shop in almost every town. It was just a GIVEN that you could NEVER LOSE MONEY buying baseball cards because they would ALWAYS go up in price NEVER DOWN. And for awhile that was true.

Around that same time card graders came on the scene and I can remember veteran card dealers being very bitter about it and not being involved with baseball cards I could not understand why. Their mantra to me was "If a dealer can't grade a card he has no business being a dealer"

But what was happening is that the card graders were filling a nitch in that it allowed many new card dealers who DID NOT know anything about grading a card to become involved in the "Boom" and the cost of the encapsulation was nothing compared to the theory that EVERYTHING WAS ALWAYS GOING TO GO UP IN VALUE Most of you know the rest of the story.

As interest in baseball cards began to wane , interest in autographs began to grow, there was only a handful of sports autograph dealers that were involved "full trottle" when that wave hit, There were some "dabblers" but most collectors knew very little about autographs. Enter the 3rd party authenticators which allowed many card dealers to "dodge a bullet" and transition into another business and allowed many dabblers to become either collectors or dealers overnight, They filled a void as evidenced by their popularity today.

And as long as the value of autographs continue to go UP, everyone is happy......BUT , when you take a $5.00 autograph and pay $10.00 to slab it , you STILL have a $5.00 autograph , No worries though because next year it will be worth $25.00 and in ten years $100.00. Or will it ?? Use the same theory if you want using different dollar amounts but it all boils down to the same thing...... as long as the values continue to climb the cost of authentication becomes INCONSEQUENTIAL.

As many long time collectors drop out of the hobby , and MANY of them are doing it and fewer new collectors enter. Its inevidable that autograph values will stall and maybe even.....gulp....plunge downward, what then ?

Like it or not the cost of having something authenticated HAS made the selling price higher. And one can use the argument suggested here that "It pays for itself" in that the item will sell for more.

Looking at the current landscape I'll admit it does seem improbable that autographs will ever lose value. But I can remember hearing real estate agents telling me "real estate will NEVER come down in price because they have stopped making it" Or baseball cards are the best INVESTMENT you can make because well.....or fill in any one of a thousand examples of things that people once thought would never happen and did.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM

I don't see how you can really say that JSA and PSA certs boosting autograph prices is a myth. A certed ball is always going to sell for more than one without if it is a major player.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't see how you can really say that JSA and PSA certs boosting autograph prices is a myth. A certed ball is always going to sell for more than one without if it is a major player.
Agree - I think Travis example where he got one cert'd and then it sold for less is more the exception. 8 /9 out of 10 will sell for more with the cert., you don't have to like the TPA's, but it is a fact.

Thus bringing me to my point that the ones out there w/o the certs can be had for "relative" bargins.

So learn the signature, know what the fakes look like, run it by others, read the sellers story, look at their history, and put it all together and there is gold in dem der hills!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 03-22-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM

Absolutely. If you know what you're looking at there are bargains out there. I won this GC Alexander ball (since sold to a fellow member) for $80. It did not have a cert and the price was a Buy It Now.

For the dreamers like me, there is hope.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post

you just had a jsa authenticated babe ruth signed ball on a snow white baseball sell for 22,000 dollars at premier auction. this is regularly a 40,000 dollar or more baseball authenticated. explain that?

does jsa or psa blindly get higher prices, no because customer confidence was shaken on this ball.

https://www.premierauctionsonline.co...inest-Ball-We-
Old 03-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Agree - I think Travis example where he got one cert'd and then it sold for less is more the exception. 8 /9 out of 10 will sell for more with the cert., you don't have to like the TPA's, but it is a fact.

Thus bringing me to my point that the ones out there w/o the certs can be had for "relative" bargins.

So learn the signature, know what the fakes look like, run it by others, read the sellers story, look at their history, and put it all together and there is gold in dem der hills!

that's not true, if it was, all the major boxing autograph dealers would have everything certed by psa or jsa, and i don't even know one that does.

Last edited by travrosty; 03-23-2013 at 02:57 PM.