NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-01-2019, 02:08 PM

Default Danny Mac Fayden's Stove League Game

Found this a while back and could find the same game. Another gentlemen on here had made a thread about this game and his game looks noting like the one I found. Mine has leather knobs inside and no dice or game pieces. Anyone ever seen this game? Also inside the game when I opened it was this dodgers logo? Not sure what it is from or used for but looking to try to establish some values/opinions on these.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:57 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Travel vs "Home" game?

Hi Hanes

I'm not an expert on this game.

I'm hoping Butch jumps in when he sees the title.

First - what is the size of the board?

Here's another example of what I would call a rainy Saturday afternoon home game:

My game "box" is 11X8.5" - again mine next to the one above is more like a travel game of sorts I would guess or could be a cheaper version to enhance sales?

On Danny.

He played for the Boston Red Sox when this game was produced and never played for the Dodgers - so think of the felt Dodgers logo as a bonus.

The components and the game - as such - appear to be the same.

I have to confess, due to the game being pristine, I've never opened it up to play; I was always planning on a "user" beater to try out but never did.

Side note: the game is patented April 24, 1928.

If you notice - the game pieces are in an envelope closed with scotch tape which wasn't invented till 1930 - so we know that the game was - at least - produced for 2 years and I'm guessing - if popular - a lot longer?

Now.

It appears from your scans that you don't have any of the pawns, players, markers - whatever you want to call them or the dice that drive the mechanism of play.

There's basically 1 red and 1 green die that have dots and a tan colored die with letters which represents the pitcher.

That's about all I can offer at this moment.

Calling Butch?

Last edited by stone193; 07-02-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: add information
Old 07-02-2019, 11:44 PM

Pardon the lateness of our reply on this one. Mike's already covered it pretty well.
The MacFayden game was indeed produced in at least a couple of different editions (different only in the graphics)
over at least a couple of years, maybe more, starting around 1927. The OP's "green box" edition is the earlier,
the white box with the blue graphics the later one.
The crucial components for game play are the dice and the play results book. There are three dice --
one red, one green (both standard d6's), and the third the "pitcher's die," tan in color with special unique markings
on each face. The book of results tables -- about fourteen or fifteen pages' worth -- has been seen variously
with a standard glue binding, spiral bound, and comb-bound.
Complete examples of the game include the box, dice, a dice cup, the play results book, playing field / gameboard,
scoresheets, a slew of small marker chips (about two dozen), and varying amounts of extraneous paperwork
(order forms, endorsements, advertising, &c').
The game's tough, but not rare. We've seen examples in a wide variety of condition and completeness
(most often badly weatherbeaten and missing some components) sell for anything from about $60. to
more than $500., usually regardless of condition. Omitting the outlier high and low prices, something
around $135. has been the average market value.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 07-03-2019, 12:16 PM

Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate the information. Its a cool item and I dont plan on selling but you never know. Wish I had the game pieces with it but what can you do. I rescued it from a flea market table just before the rain. The guy who was selling it said if I didnt buy it he wasnt putting it back in the truck so the price was good.

Still trying to figure out this dodgers chest patch though ......maybe it was just some kids favorite team or something but with the age of it Im not sure what it was.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default One more thing

Hiya Butch

Thanx for the reply.

As you know, this is one my all time favorite games due to how pristine it is - "never" played - still sheet white.

On the numbered dice.

While the red has 1-6, probably for statistical reasons?

The green die has 2 - 1's and 2 - 3's, 1 - 4, 1 - 2.

The envelope is still sealed, but I can see the dice thru the cellophane.

Do you have a game with 2 standard "6" dies?
Old 07-03-2019, 05:34 PM

Thanks, Mike -- nope, in fact we've never been hands-on with an example, so it's news to us
that the green die is a "special" die. Duly noted for future reference! That would explain
the seemingly "missing" dice combinations in the results book.

Neglected to mention in our previous post that the Dodgers, uh... thing... has nothing at all to do
with the MacFayden game. No idea what its original utility or application might have been.
Presumably some Dodger fan owned both items and just found it convenient that the Dodger sign
fit in the MacFayden box.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 07-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Maybe 5 or 6 years ago I posted questions about this game I only had the rules and thought it was the whole game. It mentioned you need two dice to play. I am glad to see that more is known about the game now.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:48 AM
Mike Rothstein

Default Danny was never a Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Thanks, Mike -- nope, in fact we've never been hands-on with an example, so it's news to us
that the green die is a "special" die. Duly noted for future reference! That would explain
the seemingly "missing" dice combinations in the results book.

Neglected to mention in our previous post that the Dodgers, uh... thing... has nothing at all to do
with the MacFayden game. No idea what its original utility or application might have been.
Presumably some Dodger fan owned both items and just found it convenient that the Dodger sign
fit in the MacFayden box.
I had mentioned that to Ryan, Butch.

Danny had a career .454 pitching record with the Red Sox, Yanks, Reds, Braves, Pirates, Senators...but no Dodgers.

Maybe one day a kid lost his Dodger logo in a Saturday afternoon grudge match with his best bud?
Old 08-04-2020, 03:24 PM
Justin

Sorry for the late reply, I just ran across this thread. If you haven't found it yet the Dodgers patch is one of the "Big League Emblems". I assume these were issued over a number of years since the Brooklyn Dodgers & Mets were made. They were also available with the colors inverted (white card, blue logo). Here are two that I have:

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/