NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-12-2021, 08:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default I'm kind of done with cards. . . .

Just seems so much more satisfying at this point to own an amazing piece of memorabilia or a great photo.

A rare Negro league photo or cap. A cabinet photo from over 100 years ago.
An amazing signed contract. Some genuine rarity from the Ruth - Gehrig barnstorming days. A real picture postcard of Cobb or Mathewson. A great scorecard from an important game. An old jersey. Even a nice piece of baseball related art.

Realize there will probably never been the liquid market for such things like what cards have. But for someone who just loves baseball so much these things just seem to pack a satisfying punch that I don't get anymore from putting cards in a plastic holder in my safe or safe deposit box.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:12 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Just seems so much more satisfying at this point to own an amazing piece of memorabilia or a great photo.

An amazing signed contract. Some genuine rarity from the Ruth - Gehrig barnstorming days. A real picture postcard of Cobb or Mathewson. A great scorecard from an important game. An old jersey. Even a nice piece of baseball related art.

Realize there will probably never been the liquid market for such things like what cards have. But for someone who just loves baseball so much these things just seem to pack a satisfying punch that I don't get anymore from putting cards in a plastic holder in my safe or safe deposit box.

There's some old time memorabilia that I would love to own but don't necessarily have the funds for. I definitely understand the feeling of being "done" with cards. I'm strongly considering moving in that direction myself. Especially when it comes to allocating funds towards certain things.

I've always eyed a Mantle Signed Baseball and a 500 Home Run Club signed Ball. There are also a few signed photos and other baseballs that I wouldn't mind owning as well. So I'll have to make a decision eventually. Signed Scorecards as well, was another thing I was thinking about.

Decisions, decisions. I don't think there's a wrong one though. Gotta collect what makes you happy.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:33 AM
Marc

Quote:

Agree 100%
Old 10-13-2021, 06:46 AM
Ben North

Quote:

I agree also. I still buy a few cards but have been mainly buying memorabilia for the last 2 years. The best part is memorabilia hasn't had that insane price gouging like cards over that time.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:35 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:

Game used items are tangible. You can hold it and in your minds eye, place yourself at an event. You know that the person wore a hat or jersey, hit a ball with a bat, hit the ball. A picture captures that place in time for as long as that picture exists.

A baseball card, does not come close in many ways to recapture that feel. One could argue playoff or World Series cards, but they don't hold the same effect as a photo or a game used/worn item do.

I have a few game used bats, baseballs, and jerseys of players but they were all from minor league AAA games. Not too much of a market for them. But, they were used in games I saw and was lucky enough to get that item from the player after the game. That is cool stuff for me. Plus I have a lot of cards that I got autographed by the players and coaches (many if not all, ex major leaguers) at the games I went to too. More cool stuff for me.

The strike back in the 90's was cool and opportunistic too. All the major league coaches and manager of the Rockies came down to watch their AAA team. I had a picture of Don Zimmerman as a Senator. BOOM! now it is autographed. Don Baylor was sitting next to him and ragged on him that he looked old in that picture too! A memory I get to keep and remember when I see that picture.

My sister going to the last game of the Washington Senators and giving me those tickets. Documents of an event that happened in the passed. Nothing like it IMHO.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:42 AM
Marc

I still buy a card or two now and then, but I especially enjoy putting my memorabilia on display. There is a thread here somewhere with pictures of memorabilia displays/rooms. It has a large number of views, especially relative to the number of posts. I love looking at this stuff and I think that many others do as well.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:36 AM
Paul Lehr

Quote:

I've been in the same boat for a couple years now. I still buy cards from time to time but I much prefer to collect memorabilia/photos/art as opposed to cards.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:17 AM
Mikeknapp

I buy cards occasionally but I invariably seem to sell them to fund memorabilia purchases. I have never been able to hold on to a Mantle card for more than a couple of months.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:27 AM
Bob Andrews

I'm leaning away from cards as well. Once I finish putting this '67 set into the binder I don't see myself trying another set chase. I tend to favor publications and photos over memorabilia such as gloves and balls but the idea is the same.

For what I spent on the '67T I could have easily picked up the last two Orioles media guides I lack and had plenty left for some vintage paper I've been wanting to add to my collection.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've always picked up paper ephemera as an adjunct to cards. I am particularly drawn to snapshots. Some of my favorite pieces:

Satchel Paige snapshot from the team photographer, ca 1949:

1920s Biz Mackey snap from a Cal League season:

Velox snapshot of Jimmie Foxx with the Cubs:

Cubbies at spring training on Catalina snap, doing the Seven Dwarves routine:

Ernie Harwell, too cool for school, outside Ebbetts Field

QB Marshall Goldberg at a 1939 all star game:

I also appreciate AP News Library photos from the 1960s. They are about PC sized and have data and dates right on the front, which I appreciate:

And don't even get me started on team issues; like crack for me.

1958 Cleveland Browns TI Jim Brown rookie year:

This one took me years to find; 1971 rookie year Dr. J:

Images are from a pre-season exhibition against the Bullets, Wes Unseld defending. Not well; Dr. J lit him up for 30.

1959-60 Hawks TI, many HOFers:

1960-61 Celtics TI Bill Russell:

1968-69 Minnesota Pipers Connie Hawkins

MJ rookie year Bulls TI, small version:

1963 Cassius Clay mail response photo, w/mailing letter:

Love how they misspelled "resurrector"

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-13-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Bob Andrews

That’s some amazing stuff, Adam. The one I’m most envious of is that Connie Hawkins team issued photo. I’m a casual Hawkins collector with not much more than his cards and a few programs in my stash.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:05 PM
Jimmy

Great Stuff - I like cards! Just that I like really old photos too!

Good luck with your search

My favorite boxing photo! 1919 Ringside!

Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16a_lg.jpg (76.3 KB, 278 views)
Old 10-13-2021, 05:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
That’s some amazing stuff, Adam. The one I’m most envious of is that Connie Hawkins team issued photo. I’m a casual Hawkins collector with not much more than his cards and a few programs in my stash.
Another:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-13-2021, 06:49 PM
Ben North

For me it is mainly bats of my favorite player, Wade Boggs. I have everything from little kids tee ball bats to a 1/1 All Star game bat. I blame this collection on a fellow member. He kept emailing me pics of all his amazing bats and got me hooked.

Here is a pic showing the top half of the display I made. I now have enough bats I need to build another one. One for gamers and one for store models.

My awesome wife lets me keep it in the living room and it brings me more joy now than all but a few cards.

We need more pics in this thread so post some
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantlebatbankF.jpg (67.2 KB, 232 views)
Old 10-14-2021, 01:23 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default Some 40's stuff

All from the mid 40's from a newspaper photographer from the Philadelphia Bulletin, if I remember correctly. (My mom should know his name).

Always thought these were cool.

Pretty sure football is from Franklin Field.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Football1.jpg (74.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Boxing-min.jpg (75.2 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Bowling-min.jpg (75.8 KB, 179 views)
Old 10-14-2021, 01:56 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hi

I am glad many can and find joy in memorabilia

I wish I could say that I am done with cards.

But for me it is a joy and an addiction. Always looking for the next card.

My version of "branching out" was starting to collect post cards.

I have a few items that are not cards/postcards but nothing that as yet can take the place for me.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-14-2021, 03:22 PM
Deron
Der.on Dix.on

Default '36 Gehrig Type 3 batting composite photos

I know (now) that I WAY overpaid for this several years ago, but it's one of my favorite photo compositions. I framed it between conservation glass and archival plexi, with a double mat (back to back) so the back/paper caption can be seen, etc. and allows for some air circulation.

I walk by it every day and smile. And it's much more appreciated (in presence and in quantity) than going to the safe and sitting down at the table (which I do still enjoy), but do not get to do everyday.

I was fortunate enough to meet a fellow collector (who ended up becoming a very good friend), who traded me for the newspaper to go with the photographs.

Great stuff, keep it coming!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 Gehrig Composite framed 2 resized.jpg (75.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 newspaper resized.jpg (74.5 KB, 161 views)
Old 10-14-2021, 03:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Beautiful piece. Love it.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:32 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

A couple of pieces on the home office walls I'm happy to look at every day. . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3696.jpg (43.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3695.jpg (43.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3692.jpg (49.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 10-14-2021, 04:13 PM
Taylor Hamilton

Great thread and starting to feel the same. I have branched out into ticket stubs from monumental events or events I remember from my childhood. I like that they were in the stadium and they are fun to get signed. Alas, more and more people are getting in to them and they are getting pricey.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:22 PM
Joe M.

I collected memoribila years ago. Had a Large walkout finished basement. Many moves & downsizing sold most of it. Had a complete run of Detroit WS programs & tickets, plus many displays on walls. Still have a few things.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 10-14-2021, 07:14 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardevl View Post
I know (now) that I WAY overpaid for this several years ago, but it's one of my favorite photo compositions. I framed it between conservation glass and archival plexi, with a double mat (back to back) so the back/paper caption can be seen, etc. and allows for some air circulation.

I walk by it every day and smile. And it's much more appreciated (in presence and in quantity) than going to the safe and sitting down at the table (which I do still enjoy), but do not get to do everyday.

I was fortunate enough to meet a fellow collector (who ended up becoming a very good friend), who traded me for the newspaper to go with the photographs.

Great stuff, keep it coming!
Great photo. I got my copy of it over 30yrs ago, but never came across the newspaper. I was also fortunate enough to get the matching Ott photo at the same time as the Lou. I framed them myself.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 10-14-2021 at 07:15 PM.