NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-16-2021, 01:26 PM

Default Reiser

George wears the 3 photos of the 1941 series, now you will see something from the 1942 series, you will see that under his name it says Champion beats National League, if you want I will send you the covers of the programs. 2 - 1942
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42.jpg (78.7 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg 43 a.jpg (84.5 KB, 545 views)
Old 09-17-2021, 02:30 PM

Default New York -Almendares 1911

On November 26, 1911, in a match between New York and Almendares corresponding to the American series at Almendares Park, the Almendares team won 6 x 2, manager McGraw was worried about losing the match, but his team achieved fill the bases and immediately changed his mood, but in a very good play the cacther Strike González put out the 3rd player, and at that moment the fight began, McGraw yelling and offending Strike went to homeplate, and Strike although not He understood the screaming of the manager, he realized that he was offending him and between the two they shouted at each other and when the blows were about to begin the players of both teams managed to separate them so that the blood did not reach the river, the catcher between several people they took him away from McGraw and he continued to offend, and demanded that Strike be expelled from the game, and if they did not do so he would not continue the game, it was a great discussion that lasted about an hour and the public took to the field and the p Olicia trying to put order, so that there were no more problems, the Almendares manager replaced Strike, but the NY team did not make runs in that inning and lost, the Almendares picher was Bombin Pedroso, during the fight Chisty Mathewson and others from the players helped to calm the spirits. Now you will see an image in which we see McGraw saying to Rafael Almeida "he yelled at me ... he yelled at me" look at the photo on the far right McGraw with his right hand pointing to the previous comment, the other photo is Strike with a group of people who took him away from the fight and he is observing what happens. This story continues and I have several more images, if you want and are interested, let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Almeida y McGraw.jpg (77.3 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg Strike Gonzalez observando los acontecimientos.jpg (44.9 KB, 522 views)
Old 09-19-2021, 03:44 PM

Default Regino Garcia 1909 Cabañas

Regino Garcia (Mamelo) was one of the best hitters of the early twentieth century, he won 4 champion bat in a row from 1904-1907, and also a leader in doubles, triples, etc. they called "Regino's silver bat" and the reality is that it is the most beautiful bat I have ever seen, it has an artistic work of the first order in its silver and gold in its reliefs, when I was lucky enough to meet it many years ago, the first days I spent a few minutes recreating myself looking at it, but on the third day I discovered that it had a secret tunnel, I think that maybe to keep something or inside it and when I gave it to him in 1907 maybe I had a prize in money, now I show you the postcard of Regino from the collection Cabañas 1909.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R. Garcia.jpg (70.6 KB, 507 views)
Old 09-20-2021, 03:41 PM

Regino's bat has a plate with the following Description "Al Champion Bat de 1907 Regino García" in silver and embossed in gold.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:21 PM

They ask me by email about the events of the game in NY and Almendares the name of the main umpire, and this was the American Rigler, who tried to put order together with the police, McGraw's demands were that they remove Strike from the game because he yelled at him , but the one who started yelling and offending was McGraw, now there is an image of the conversation between McGraw and the umpire, There are more images and history but I think it is not of interest to those who see the thread, because when I asked if they wanted to see more Nobody responded, this is public by the email they sent me, if anyone is interested, let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rigler y Mc Graw.jpg (32.5 KB, 483 views)
Old 09-24-2021, 04:56 PM

Responding to email, McGraw said that Strike had to be removed from the game, I show an image of the umpire giving the explanation to the Almendares players of McGraw's demand, José Mendez, Strike, Almeida and others appear, in the other photo you see McGraw saying that he did not follow the game not for all the Rockefeler fortune, in the other thread you will see more photos so as not to load this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Umpire Rigler.jpg (48.3 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg Mc Graw en el banco de New York.jpg (47.1 KB, 486 views)
Old 09-26-2021, 05:09 PM

Now I show management cards that appear in the 1948 "Helados Hatuey" HC Champions Album, # 3 Trauhman, # 2 Clark Griffin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trauhman.jpg (75.0 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg Clark Griffin.jpg (33.7 KB, 475 views)
Old 09-29-2021, 10:35 AM

Now I connect to the net54, I spent 2 days with other functions and I search and I cannot find my threads but I see that they are on page 2, nobody has put any comment or question, I think they are not entering the thread, does anyone?
Old 09-29-2021, 11:34 AM

We're all loving everything you're showing, Roland -- it's only that we're not the only ones who think
we have nothing very insightful to add to the conversation (other than "thank you, please show more stuff!").
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 09-29-2021, 05:38 PM

B7999, thanks for answering my question, what happens is that I do not know who of the members currently connect, nor do I know when I publish something if it is of interest to you, there are things that I consider interesting but perhaps not for you, a few ago days I asked if they wanted to see a photo where Jakie Robinson Joe Louis and Miñoso appear in a night club, signed another day a photo of the Lincoln Stars in Almendares Park, and no one answered, I considered that they were interesting photos and others, for that reason I think that what I publish is no longer interesting, the last thing was 2 executive cards and those cards, although they are not for players but they are super rare, perhaps the only one who has them is me, for me it is a great stimulus that those who have done it some Sometimes or those who have never done it comment something for or against but then I see that they enter the thread. Now you will see a photo of Miñoso in a bar in Havana playing "cubilete with dice inside" something curious behind where the bottles are you can see the bottles with players that one day I will show, you will see a 03 in the piggy bank, that was the price of a strong coffee in the 40s 50s and mid 60s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miñoso 1.jpg (56.1 KB, 462 views)
Old 09-30-2021, 01:28 PM

Default Atheticos in Almendares Park 1912

This is a picture of the Athletics in Almendares Park 1912, they appear: Plank, Lord, Strunk, Baker and Collins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1912 Atl. Phi, Almendares Park.jpg (67.7 KB, 455 views)
Old 10-03-2021, 07:47 PM

This is a photo of the Cienfuegos team where Pedro Ramos is seen talking with the masseur, we also see Camilo Pascual and others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pamos Camilo y masajista.jpg (67.5 KB, 417 views)
Old 10-04-2021, 06:01 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Pedro Ramos and Camilo Pascual

Pitching Partners Pedro Ramos and Camilo Pascual. Pedro Ramos Guerra: Pitcher for the Washington Senators in 1955-1961 and 1970. 117 wins and 54 saves in 15 MLB seasons. Camilo Alberto Pascual Lus: Pitcher for the Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins in 1954-1966. Washington again in 1967-1969. 174 wins and 10 saves in 18 MLB seasons.

From Pascual's SABR biography: “First in war, first in peace, and last in the American League” — Charles Dryden’s memorable line was certainly one of the most fitting epigrams ever penned to capture just about any inept big-league baseball team from just about any epoch. Authors Brendan C. Boyd and Fred C. Harris went one hilarious step further when they chose to describe rail-thin Washington infielder Wayne Terwilliger as “the perfect utility man … he played with some of the worst Washington Senator teams of the early fifties, teams consisting of entire rosters of utility men.”

Of course the Boyd and Harris portrait (like the famed “first in peace” aphorism) was a shade over the top, a bit unfair, and chock full of delicious hyperbole. Yet the Washington Senators outfit of the post-World War II era was indeed one of the most lamentable also-ran ballclubs in the sport’s long history. The midcentury lackluster “Nats” of penurious owner Clark Griffith indeed perfectly fit the bill of loveable losers and altogether forgettable tail-enders from baseball’s reputed “Golden Era.”

The team Griffith assembled on a self-imposed shoestring budget during the decade immediately following the war was one that lent itself to such limiting stereotypes, never climbing out of the junior circuit second division between 1947 and 1960, peaking with four fifth-place finishes over that stretch, losing more than 90 games on nine occasions, and only once (1952) finishing fewer than 20 games off the winning pace. The ’50s-era Washington club seemingly drew attention for only a single day each year with its traditional role of hosting the American League season opener complete with the presidential first-ball tossing.

And no stereotype belittling the franchise was more exact and defining than the one involving the lengthy roster of Cuban recruits compiled through the scouting efforts of Papa Joe Cambria.3 Most were merely cup-of-coffee fill-ins who didn’t hang around very long; Oliverio Ortiz, Moín García, Angel Fleitas, and Armando Roche are four examples from the late 1940s who all lasted but part of a single season and none of whom appeared in more than 15 games. A few were curiosities like ancient rookie hurler Conrad Marrero (39 when he broke in in 1950) who was talented enough to make the 1951 American League All-Star squad and twice won in double figures. And a few more were destined to eventually blossom as league mainstays if not league stars once they shed their Washington uniforms and found more supportive surroundings. The latter group featured Camilo Pascual and Pedro Ramos, a pair of ill-starred hurlers who were among the best ever produced by their baseball-crazed homeland and yet were destined to ring up records for futility throughout their early American League years under Griffith’s club ownership.

The Washington ball club of the ’50s wasn’t exactly a true train wreck despite its string of basement finishes and overload of colorless diamond personalities. At least by decade’s end Griffith had assembled a handful of solid, capable big-leaguers. Outfielders Jim Lemon (who twice topped 30 homers, in 1959 and 1960, and led the league in triples in 1956) and Bob Allison (30 home runs and a league-best nine three-baggers in 1959) made some noise in the slugging department, even if they didn’t contribute much to pennant races.

And two players in particular stood among the most coveted by other owners around both leagues. It was widely reported in December 1959 that Cincinnati GM Gabe Paul had offered Griffith the then-startling sum of $1 million in cash ($500,000 each) for promising slugger Harmon Killebrew (league home-run pacesetter in his just-completed official rookie campaign) and crafty right-hander Camilo Pascual (fresh off his first season of double figures in the victory column). According to one source, Paul unequivocally stated that he viewed Pascual as the best pitcher in the majors, even if the then 25-year-old had posted but one winning mark in his half-dozen big-league campaigns. But Griffith apparently wasn’t cash-conscious enough to risk gutting his slowly improving franchise (whose brightening prospects would be confirmed by a jump in the standings from eighth to fifth the following summer) by accepting such a major financial windfall.

By the end of a barren 1950s decade that had produced only two non-losing seasons, Pascual was the best of the crew still residing in Griffith’s camp, although that fact didn’t become clear exactly overnight. From his rookie season of 1954 onward, Pascual was recognized around the junior circuit as a considerable natural talent who possessed one of the most devastating curveballs ever seen on the professional diamond. By only his third season (as a 22-year-old) he had worked his way into the starting rotation alongside Chuck Stobbs (15-15), Dean Stone (5-7) and Bob Wiesler (3-12). But the understaffed Senators (losers of 99 games) offered little support and Pascual, the team’s only right-handed starter, had little to show for his efforts beyond a league second-worst total of 18 losses.

Early on (before 1959), fellow Cuban Pedro Ramos seemed to have the upper hand and offer the greatest promise, winning in double figures on four occasions and outstripping Pascual in the victory column by a wide margin (between 1955 and 1958 Ramos went 43-55, Pascual (24-59). But the long haul would favor Pascual with his tricky curves, more than Ramos with his blazing heater. Ramos would enjoy a short dance with glory a decade later when he donned a Yankees jersey. But it was Pascual who would eventually blossom in new surroundings away from the nation’s capital into one of the most dominant hurlers in the junior circuit.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1633348619
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1633348628
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959PitchingPartnerFront.jpg (27.7 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg 1959PitchingPartnersBack.jpg (25.7 KB, 430 views)
Old 10-04-2021, 06:19 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Starting Really Exploring the history of Cuban Cards, Cuban players and the history of the sport in Cuba

WOW Wow and More Wow

Did not realize the amazing history that went on their.

Perhaps I am Going to have to start looking for a special card to add to my collection at some point in the future

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-04-2021, 09:50 PM

George, you have published very interesting facts about Pedro Ramos and Camilo Pascual I have learned some things that I did not know, thank you and continue to do so. Now you will see a photo where the pithers Pedro Ramos, Raúl Sanchez and Camilo Pascual appear with the Cienfuegos team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ramos R. Sanchez y Camilo.jpg (46.3 KB, 423 views)
Old 10-04-2021, 10:58 PM
Val Kehl

George, very informative piece, as always. But, I would point out for relevancy that Clark Griffith passed in October 1955, with the ownership of the Senators team passing to Calvin Griffith. Calvin was a son of Clark Griffith's wife's sister whom Clark and his wife raised as their own son after Calvin's father passed in 1922 when Calvin was 11. Hence, it was Calvin Griffith who passed on Gabe Paul's million dollar offer for Killebrew & Pascual and who moved the Senators to Minnesota, thereby forever incurring the wrath of diehard Senators fans, such as yours truly.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:03 PM

Val, the fact you mentioned is very interesting, thank you, I always learn with you. In 1946 the Havana Cubans emerged, George Foster with 50% and Merito Acosta and Joe Cambria with 25% each, but soon after Griffin bought from Foster, and the team became like a franchise of the Washington Senators, Cambria was the scout and was looking for players for both teams in both the professional league, the semi-pro and the amateurs, Acosta was the president of the Havana Cubans and Griffin the vice-president, Now I show a photo where the Venezuelan Davalillo appears , Cambria and Marrero.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe Cambria Davalillo y C. Marrero.jpg (42.7 KB, 400 views)
Old 10-06-2021, 10:59 AM

This is Joe Cambria's only Cuban card, # 4 from the HC 1948 album and Griffin's when he was vice president of the H. Cubans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Griffin.jpg (58.6 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg Joe Cambria.jpg (78.2 KB, 403 views)
Old 10-06-2021, 12:47 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Early Cuban player in MLB

Herman "Germany" Schaefer and Baldomero "Merito" Acosta photograph by Paul Thompson c. 1910-15.

Baldomero P. "Merito" Acosta Fernandez. Outfielder with the Washington Senators in 1913-1916 and 1918. 111 hits and 17 stolen bases in 5 MLB seasons. His career OBP was .354. He also played for the Philadelphia Athletics in 1918. Acosta played winter baseball in the Cuban League in 1913-1925. He was also a long-time manager and part-owner of the Havana Cubans. He is a member of the Cuban Baseball Hall of Fame.

From Acosta's SABR biography: One of the main attractions of the Louisville Slugger Museum is its Signature Wall showing the names and signatures that have been branded on bats for hundreds of baseball players dating back to the beginning of the practice. Among the names of plaques featured from the 1920s is Baldonaro Acosto. The incorrectly spelled name on his plaque does not indicate that at one time Baldomero “Merito” Acosta was one of the top Latin prospects in baseball.

Acosta was one of the first Cubans to make the jump to the major leagues in the United States, which he did in 1913 as a youth of 17. The little outfielder (5-feet-7 and 140 pounds) never lived up to his lofty prospect status in the majors. He hit a punchless .255 in 180 games through 1918, mainly with the Washington Senators. However, he did enjoy a successful career as a popular minor-leaguer, playing on through 1928 in the U.S. — the last 10 seasons in Louisville.

Afterwards Acosta became one of the more influential Cubans in professional baseball, and devoted years to promoting baseball relations between the two countries, ultimately receiving the highest honor for baseball players in his native land.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1633545845
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c.1910-15Schaefer-AcostaPhotographFront.jpg (73.6 KB, 390 views)
Old 10-06-2021, 09:17 PM

George very well for the history of Merito Acosta, I will add some data, on December 2, 1918 playing for the Habana team he made a tripple play without assistance, that is, he took the 3 outs alone, playing the center, he chased a line And he caught it at the level of his shoes, with that momentum he floor 2nd base and took the out since the one who was in second did not arrive before and with that same impulse he ran to touch the first player who was ahead and although he returned speed quickly de Merito touched it before stepping on 1st base. Merito was the manager of the Marianao team in his debut in the 1922-23 championship and he was Champion of that year, he was also the owner of Marianao, he was President of the Havana Cubans, of Baldomero (Merito) Acosta there is much to write. now I show card # 1 from the H C collection, 1948,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baldomero Merito Acosta.jpg (24.2 KB, 385 views)
Old 10-08-2021, 05:18 PM

The Vlll Convention for the 1957 World Series was held in Cuba, this is a badge of a participant sponsored by "Gillette"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 Conv. Gllette.jpg (36.3 KB, 368 views)
Old 10-09-2021, 07:28 PM

Now I am going to ask a question to those who see this thread, in the hall of fame in the USA, I know that Dihigo, Mendez and Torriente belong because of their records in black leagues, I have read something that the big leagues and black leagues were unified My question is: currently which are the Cubans who belong to the Hall of Fame? I do not have that information.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:34 PM

A few minutes ago I connected to net54 to see if someone had done me the favor of answering my question on the 9th, when I connected and saw the thread the only thing I checked is the last post and I see that apparently no one has entered the thread, I did the He asks why I have difficulties in entering the Mlb site and it has been more than a month that I cannot see on ebay, I think that some of them know that question and maybe someone can inform me what I want to know, maybe they are not seeing the thread, as I have some months I do not know well if there is any way to see who enters to see what I publish, thank you.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:23 PM
Jamie

The Hall of Fame has among its 312 elected members four Cuban-born players: Martín Dihigo, José Mendez, Tony Pérez, and Cristóbal Torriente. No nation other than the United States can claim as many as four Hall of Famers.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:49 PM

Jamie, thank you very much for the information, I knew these 4 Cuban members, but a few months ago I read something that said that there was going to be a unification between the hof major leagues and black leagues and I thought that perhaps some more Cuban had entered, for example Alejandro Oms to name a few, in 2000, I received a visit at my home from 3 people who worked at that time in Cooperstown, and they gave me the yearbook for that year, which was when Tony Pérez was inducted, thanks again for the information Tomorrow I plan to put photos, I ask you do you want to see something that may interest you?
Old 10-14-2021, 02:47 AM
Jamie

I think you are describing the addition of the Negro league stats to unify confirmed Negro league stats to MLB historical statistics. That did occur within the last 6 months:

Https://www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2021/06/...rence-database

https://www.baseball-reference.com/n...-leagues.shtml
Old 10-14-2021, 06:05 AM
octavio ranzola

Roland how difficult is it to find cards in cuba if you go on a trip
Old 10-14-2021, 04:40 PM

Jamie, you are right, when I read about the unification of the statistics of both leagues a few months ago and I did it quickly and only some paragraph confused me and I thought it had to do with the Hof, I learned with you and I thank you, no feel free to ask me anything. Greetings.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:24 PM

Octavio, I'm going to answer your question, but give me more details about what you want to know, are you coming to Cuba?
Old 10-15-2021, 05:30 PM

In the photo we see: Paula, Valdivielso, Ramos, Pascual and Delis playing for Washington in the 50s, this original photo was taken with my phone, but you can see some of the sun that entered through the window (ventana ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cubanos en el Washinthon.jpg (54.1 KB, 325 views)
Old 10-17-2021, 06:14 PM

Cienfuegos pitcher Tony Diaz threw a game of 0 runs 0 hits, and in the photo we see the journalist Eladio Secades handing him a check for $ 1000 pesos awarded by Bohemia Magazine, Orestes Miñoso and Mike Fornieles appear in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tony Diaz cero hits !000 pesos.jpg (42.5 KB, 314 views)
Old 10-19-2021, 08:39 PM

Today, October 19, baseball was declared "Cultural Heritage of the Nation" something that for many years all Cubans who love baseball were waiting and at last it was achieved and we feel happy, the ceremony was held in the historic Estadio del Palmar de Junco, the oldest stadium in Cuba where it has been played since 1874.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:49 PM

Aguilitas, cards baseball boxing football etc. One page of Album 1ra Serie Artistica
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aguilitas.jpg (74.2 KB, 274 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 10:21 PM

Now I saw the game where Houston is going to discuss the World Series, Yuly Gurriel as everyone knows won the batting championship in the league, but good for the Cubans Alvarez and Yuly who helped the Astros a lot to win. Now I show you 3 balls signed for me by the players of the Cuban team in the 1st World Cup 2006, where they finished in 2nd place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006 1er Clasico.jpg (40.3 KB, 257 views)
Old 10-23-2021, 06:10 PM

Now you will see a card from Omar Linares that I signed a few years ago, it belongs to a series that was printed with several players in the 38 National Series, and today is Linares' birthday, perhaps the best player of the last 60 years in Cuba.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38 Serie Nacional.jpg (41.4 KB, 271 views)
Old 10-25-2021, 11:42 AM

Sad news, yesterday the great Cuban pitcher Andres Ayon passed away at 84 years old, he played in the Cuban professional league for Marianao 1957-59, 59-60 in Almendares, he played for the Cubans Sugars Kings, but his greatest success was in the League Mexican, in 1997 he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in Mexico, he also played in the United States
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andres Ayón.jpg (74.2 KB, 253 views)
Old 10-28-2021, 02:12 PM

From the collection Almanaque Deportivo 1947 I show a block of 4 without trimming front and back: Mike Gonzalez Formental Conrado Perez and Hayworth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alm. Deport. a.jpg (50.7 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg Alm. Deport. r.jpg (44.1 KB, 240 views)
Old 10-28-2021, 05:58 PM

In 1947 Mike Gonzalez was 57 years old. Looking At that card above I wouldn’t have thought he was a day under 90
Old 10-30-2021, 04:44 PM

Default Cubanos en MLB

In this photo from the 1950s, you can see Cubans belonging to different MLB teams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cubanos en Grandes Ligas.jpg (68.9 KB, 233 views)
Old 10-31-2021, 12:49 PM

Jason, you're right about Mike Gonzalez now you'll see a 1948-49 card from the Caramelos El Indio collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mike.jpg (57.7 KB, 223 views)
Old 11-01-2021, 04:37 PM

Default Jason

Yesterday I showed a card of Mike González from the El Indio collection, now I show Mike himself, from the Campo Alegre 1947 collection, both are quite rare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1- Mike Gonzalez.jpg (13.8 KB, 256 views)
Old 11-03-2021, 09:24 PM

In the photo we see the hall of fame Ray Dandridge with Luque, Fermin Guerra and El gordo Jose Rodríguez, treasurer of Marianao.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dandridge Luque Guerra y Podriguez.jpg (44.1 KB, 251 views)
Old 11-05-2021, 04:19 PM

Now I show a photo of Orestes Miñoso with the Mexican comedian Tin-Tan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211104_120036.jpg (59.8 KB, 239 views)
Old 11-07-2021, 05:41 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Cheese it! Here comes Ortega.

From the "Boys will be Boys" Department:

Eusebio Miguel Lopez Gonzalez "Papo" played briefly in Major League Baseball during the 1918 season. He has the distinction of being the first Cuban player to play for the Boston Red Sox.

Papo's SABR biography includes a window into (the precarious) life lived by professional Cuban baseball players (and sports-writers) in the early 20th century:

How had Gonzalez been shot? González was playing for the Habana Leones (also known as the Rojos) in the Gran Premio of 1924. Come the aftermath of the March 9, 1924 game, in which Habana had beaten Santa Clara, and per David Skinner’s translation of the March 10 article in Diario de la Marina:

“As the fans were exiting Almendares Park following the game, three gunshots rang out behind the main grandstand. This attracted the reporters, and when they arrived on the scene they saw Habana third baseman Manuel Cueto and backup catcher Eugenio Morín trying unsuccessfully to protect a teammate with a wounded hand from apprehension by several policemen led by a Sgt. Ortega. That player turned out to be Rojo second baseman Papo González, who was taken into custody by the lawmen, to the dismay of [Marina reporter] Peter, who referred to him as one of the most admired players for his modesty and gentlemanliness.”

Conte was charged with the shooting and released on $200 bail.

W. A. Phelon’s column in the March 20, 1924 issue of The Sporting News provided a fuller description of the incident and its protagonists. It is worth reprinting here in its entirety:

Here in Cuba, they sure take their baseball seriously — and in the old-time way. If a sporting writer pans a player, good night! He has to whale the athlete, hand to hand, or be disqualified forever. A few days ago, Pepe Conte — well known to all American writers — penciled a paragraph that hurt the proud spirit of one Gonzales (not the noble Miguel) second baseman of the Almendares Club. Senor Gonzales sought out Senor Conte during the eighth inning, and smote him on the nose, proboscis, or snoot, so that Senor Conte fell extremely prone.

Senor Gonzales trumpeted in triumph, but not for long. Senor Conte up rose, and with him came a dark blue automatic, and, one instant later, Senor Gonzales lay upon the reddened soil. Then all Cuba went to war; and the strife between the partisans of Senor Conte and Senor Gonzales endured, with many casualties, until the police charged from several directions and bore everybody to the hoosegow. The doctors say that Senor Gonzales will recover. The judge says Senor Conte is out on bail. And, as might be expected, in the tumult and confusion, somebody took a darn good kick at the umpire. Isn’t it a wonderful world?

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1636288502
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1636288509
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1924-25AguilitasGonzalezFront.jpg (70.1 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg 1924-25AguilitasGonzalezBack.jpg (64.2 KB, 238 views)
Old 11-07-2021, 06:11 PM

George very good what you published about Papo González, thank you, now a photo of Papo in Almendares Park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eusebio González (Papo).jpg (32.9 KB, 226 views)
Old 11-09-2021, 05:32 PM

Fight or "Hungarian Chamber", as it was called in Cuba, between umpire Amado Maestri and one of the Almendares players, we see Adolfo Luque preventing him from going to the one who offended him that is not seen in the photo, they see Fermin Guerra, Pedro Pages, Santos Amaro, Adrian Zabala and others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Maestri.jpg (29.7 KB, 212 views)
Old 11-10-2021, 08:52 PM

Today reviewing Spalding guides in Spanish, in the 1st of 1885, I see the announcement of the gloves for Catcher of that year,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catcher 1885.jpg (55.8 KB, 203 views)
Old 11-11-2021, 02:15 PM

Photos Magazine published on its cover a photo of Mike González and Adolfo Luque in an exhibition that made their time as players remembered, at that time they were the managers of Habana and Almendares
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24Luque Mike11-47.jpg (67.0 KB, 198 views)
Old 11-13-2021, 08:37 PM

Susini and Le Blanc, the great tragedy, in 1922 in a game between the Cuba and Central teams of the Sugar League, due to a bad decision by the umpire, there was a great discussion and pitcher Le Blanc, after having retired, returned again screaming and offending and Susini who had the bat in his hands, with all his strength he hit Le Blanc's skull and after a few minutes he died, Susine was sentenced to 12 years in prison, and his entire promising career in baseball was null and void. For the Cubans Stars in exhibitions in the United States, now I show a photo that I edit of the Cienfuegos amateur team from 1912, you see Le Blanc sitting, but the most interesting thing is that the one seen below is Cristobal Torriente amateurs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.Arr.C.1912.1.jpg (31.8 KB, 182 views)
Old 11-15-2021, 12:24 PM

Now I show a pennant from the Cuban team of the Federation championship in La Tropical, that team was directed by Napoleón Reyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cuba.1.jpg (39.5 KB, 173 views)