NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2021, 10:48 AM

Default Catalogo Billiken y La Moda 1928

Yesterday I showed part of a photo that was used to print the 1928 Billiken cards, now you will see one of the sheets of my catalog where this collection appears, below a propaganda photo of the series that measures 8x10 inches, I ask those who see this Thread that they publish the cards they have from this rare collection, I would appreciate it if you would.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catalogo Billiken 1928.jpg (43.9 KB, 353 views)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:25 PM

Default Exibitman

This is an envelope from the 1st day of 1992 for the Barcelona Olympics, where we see Kid Chocolate on one of the stamps and Martin Dihigo on the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1992 Dihigo y Chocolate.jpg (43.6 KB, 353 views)
Old 08-17-2021, 07:13 PM
Tony Quinn

Anybody have any info on these? Rough shape but pretty rare I imagine. First one has Quincy Truoppe & Ray Dandridge, 2nd one Ray Dandridge, Minnie Minoso, Hoyt Wilhelm, Billy Herman, 3rd on Ray Dandridge, Tommy Lasorda, Hoyt Wilhelm, Billy Herman. Going to be for sale when I get some pricing info. PM me if interested.
Thanks,
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM_5303.jpg (71.4 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg CAM_5304.jpg (68.0 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg CAM_5305.jpg (72.3 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by quinnsryche; 08-18-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:05 AM

Default Programas Oficiales

Tony, those are the official programs that were sold every year at the beginning of the season, the three that samples were made during 5 seasons in a larger format that are the most interesting because it shows the photo of all the players and description of records etc, those They were made from 1949-50 to 1953-54, I have the complete collection in perfect condition and another almost perfect repeated one, prices vary according to the state of the cover, in Cuba over the last 30 years they have been sold between 25 and 50 dollars according to their state of conservation, now you would have to find out how they are sold on ebay or at auctions there in the United States, when I have time I will photograph them so you can see what you are missing and I will show them.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:14 PM

Default Prog. 52-53 and 53-54

Tony, now I took a photo of the two programs that you are missing in the large format, there are programs from the 30s and the last one was from the 1960-61 championship, when you see them let me know, greetings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prog. 52-53 y 53-54.jpg (79.6 KB, 328 views)
Old 08-18-2021, 08:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nice stamps.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-18-2021, 09:34 PM
John Mavroudis

Default Hi Rolando

Any idea about what these are about?

They're original artworks on the front with this stamp on the back.

Wondering if they were one off original pieces, or if they were used in making cards out of them.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

www.zenpop.com
Old 08-19-2021, 02:32 PM

John, what you show what is original is that it is made by a painter or cartoonist, but it is a forgery made in the late 90s, he noticed the photos that appear of them in the official program 1950-51, and They made the drawing, they did the same to the photos of the players and printed them on some cards and on the back they put the information that said "Aguilitas Serie Artistica" is clearly seen on the back the ink looks like ink with a coffee component, I have I have seen several things made by the same painter, the official thing was done in printing with hundreds or thousands of copies, only one by hand, all I have told you is from what I see in what you show, I do not have it in my hands to give you more details, I had some of these drawings in my hands and they were signed by Jorge S. These were signed by Mendez, Dihigo, Torriente etc. He made them on request and signed them but he painted them on request, not with the intention of deceiving and I bought some, this has nothing to do with what you show that someone commissioned them to deceive and cheat some, maybe if I have time I will look for you to see them, when you see this message you let me know, greetings.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:23 PM

Now I show a photo of Martin Dihigo with Edmundo Amoros and Billy Herman, on the Dodgers' grounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amoros, Dihigo y Billy Herman.jpg (59.7 KB, 319 views)
Old 08-20-2021, 12:34 PM
Brian

Default Dihigo Picture

Gracias Senor Roland intercambio la fotografia de Senor Dihigo

Thank you Mr. Roland for sharing the photograph of Mr. Dihigo
Old 08-20-2021, 12:42 PM
Brian

Default 1955 Caramelo Stadium

I am sorry. (Lo siento mucho.) Due to size restrictions by net54 this is the largest image I could download of some cards from my 1955 Caramelo Stadium Cuban League set.20210818_152638aaa.jpg
Old 08-20-2021, 04:28 PM

In response, in the 1950s, the following were printed in albums: 1950-51 "Fosforos Acebo," (Printed Album without cards). Victoria 1952-53, Caramelos Stadium 1955-56, and Chicle Peloteros 1956-57.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:12 AM

Yesterday in an email they asked me about the albums of the 50s and I exposed what appears in my catalog in small format cards, but there are larger format ones, for example postcard, printed matter of all kinds etc. those appear in Volume # 2 of your catalogs
Old 08-21-2021, 01:20 PM
Al Jurgela

Default another taste

you do not see this one too often...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg One off NL Cards_0001.jpg (78.1 KB, 329 views)
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 08-21-2021, 05:08 PM

Default Mayorquinas Almendares 1928

You tell me that I do not see that one too often, and it is true it is a very rare card, but I feel satisfaction knowing that you have it, since I bought that card about 20 years ago, and sold it about 6 years, I always say that Most of the collectors and I think they all have something that was mine, now you will see a scan that I did to a group of Mayorquinas from Almendares and you will see the Lloyd you have, take good care of him I think there should not be more than 3 or 4 copies Greetings Al.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lloyd.Luque,Scales,Marcelle.jpg (59.2 KB, 320 views)
Old 08-22-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
Thanks Kenny & Rolando for the information on Connors. I appreciate it.

Enjoyed your personal story Rolando about Monte Irvin. Now I know where to go for detailed information on Cuban baseball.

I do have a photograph of a professional ballplayer in my Cuban collection. There is a name on the back but I am not sure if it is of the player. Perhaps you can give me some information on him.

Thank you,

Joe
Joe, just saw your post. Jorge (Cocoliso) Torres. Played in U.S. minor leagues as well as Cuba. Here's more info: https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...rres_(minors01)
Old 08-22-2021, 04:25 PM

Default Raymond Brown y Torres 7

Now when I enter the thread I see that Ralph posted about Jorge (Cocoliso) Torres and I will show an interesting photo of him with Hall of Fame Raymond Brown when they played for the Santiago team in the Federation Championship at Stadium La Tropical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ray Brown y Cocoliso Torres.jpg (43.8 KB, 326 views)
Old 08-22-2021, 07:10 PM

Default Cocoliso Torres

Recia foto, Rolando. Wow.

Jorge (Cocoliso) Torres debuted professionally in Cuba with the Habana team on the inaugural game of the 1940-41 season on October 26, 1940. He was a highly regarded recruit of Mike Gonzalez's. Cocoliso had just helped Cuba gain its first championship in the second amateur world series in 1939. As you will see in the articles included, Cocoliso is pictured while he trained with the Lions prior to the season. The articles also provide a recap of the inaugural game as well as the box scores. You will note Habana has some big names, including Tiant Sr., Estalella and Dihigo. Their foe that day, Almendares, had a fading Alejandro Oms struggling through his last full season, as well as Lazaro Salazar. Cocoliso was traded to the Santa Clara team later that season for Walter Calhoun, an American pitcher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cocoliso's first professional game.jpg (65.4 KB, 323 views)
Old 08-22-2021, 07:18 PM

Default Cocoliso Torres

I also want to add that Cocoliso endeared himself to fans by his spirited play as well as his nickname, which loosely translates to "Baldie".
Old 08-23-2021, 05:46 PM

Ralph, the data you showed about Cocoliso Torres is very interesting, now I show a photo that I took a few minutes ago from the Album Felices 1946-47 where we see his card playing for the Havana Reds team, at the La Tropical stadium
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946.47 Havana- Reds Cocoliso Torres.jpg (69.3 KB, 316 views)
Old 08-23-2021, 08:20 PM
John Mavroudis

THANK YOU so very much for taking the time to respond, Rolando!
I so appreciate your knowledge. I didn't pay that much for them (bought them on Ebay), and I like them a lot... so it's good information to know!

All the best to you!
-John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 49 View Post
John, what you show what is original is that it is made by a painter or cartoonist, but it is a forgery made in the late 90s, he noticed the photos that appear of them in the official program 1950-51, and They made the drawing, they did the same to the photos of the players and printed them on some cards and on the back they put the information that said "Aguilitas Serie Artistica" is clearly seen on the back the ink looks like ink with a coffee component, I have I have seen several things made by the same painter, the official thing was done in printing with hundreds or thousands of copies, only one by hand, all I have told you is from what I see in what you show, I do not have it in my hands to give you more details, I had some of these drawings in my hands and they were signed by Jorge S. These were signed by Mendez, Dihigo, Torriente etc. He made them on request and signed them but he painted them on request, not with the intention of deceiving and I bought some, this has nothing to do with what you show that someone commissioned them to deceive and cheat some, maybe if I have time I will look for you to see them, when you see this message you let me know, greetings.

www.zenpop.com
Old 08-24-2021, 01:13 PM

Default Dihigo Gibson Mendez Bell Charleston

John, now I read your message, I know and have drawings of Cuban baseball from the 1880s, to the present, caricatures, paintings, pens etc, many were the authors and everything they did belongs to history, which you tell me. You showed you like them and me too, they are well done, in Cuba the most famous baseball painter today is Reinerio Tamayo, in his drawings he reflects the history of baseball, he is a good friend of mine and several times he has been in my house To give me some of his works, 3 or 4 years ago I mounted an exhibition in the United States of which I have videos and photos, it was a success, now I will show you something that I photograph of one of his exhibitions, if you want I can publish some more of your drawings, you let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tamayo.jpg (57.3 KB, 292 views)
Old 08-24-2021, 11:12 PM
John Mavroudis

As a fellow artist, I LOVE to see other's artwork.

I'm a big fan of the baseball illustrators in the 1920s-1950s who showed their work in newspapers and magazines. Artists like Willard Mullin, and Lou Darvas.

I'd love to see some Cuban artists work, as well! Feel free to post Reinerio Tamayo's work! That piece you showed that he's very talented!

All the best, Rolando!

Quote:
John, now I read your message, I know and have drawings of Cuban baseball from the 1880s, to the present, caricatures, paintings, pens etc, many were the authors and everything they did belongs to history, which you tell me. You showed you like them and me too, they are well done, in Cuba the most famous baseball painter today is Reinerio Tamayo, in his drawings he reflects the history of baseball, he is a good friend of mine and several times he has been in my house To give me some of his works, 3 or 4 years ago I mounted an exhibition in the United States of which I have videos and photos, it was a success, now I will show you something that I photograph of one of his exhibitions, if you want I can publish some more of your drawings, you let me know.

www.zenpop.com
Old 08-25-2021, 02:05 PM

Default Babe Ruth Show

Now you will see another Tamayo painting, those photos I took with my phone and they are somewhat out of focus because it was in one of his exhibitions and there was a large audience, friends, greetings, those present at the inauguration talking etc, when you see it I will show you others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tamayo 1.jpg (46.4 KB, 289 views)
Old 08-26-2021, 05:23 PM

Default Cuban Stars

This is a photo of the Cuban Stars and we see Oscar Levis, Bombin Pedroso and Pelayo Chacon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bombín Chacon Levi.jpg (41.8 KB, 277 views)
Old 08-26-2021, 09:11 PM
John Mavroudis

Wow! LOVE that one, Rolando!!

Quote:
Now you will see another Tamayo painting, those photos I took with my phone and they are somewhat out of focus because it was in one of his exhibitions and there was a large audience, friends, greetings, those present at the inauguration talking etc, when you see it I will show you others.

www.zenpop.com
Old 08-27-2021, 10:12 AM

Default Bombin Pedroso

Now you will see a caricature of Bombin Pedroso, and you can see in his head the famous Bombin, its author the well-known painter Rivadulla, I was at his house in the 80s and he showed me the originals of this and a large number of his drawings, my last meeting with him was months before he passed away. Of Bombin I have some photos that if they ask me I will show them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bombin Pedroso.jpg (59.8 KB, 275 views)
Old 08-27-2021, 01:25 PM
Travis Wise

Default Please show

Please show anything Bombin
Old 08-27-2021, 07:52 PM

Default Bombin y Chacon

Travis, 2 days ago I showed a photo of Bombin with Chacon, now of a photo of the Cuban Stars from 1915 with all the players, I edited to show the same ones from the previous one, I saw your message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chacon y Pedroso.jpg (77.7 KB, 272 views)
Old 08-28-2021, 10:51 AM

Default Superman Batman

John, Now I show you another of Tamayo's drawings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tamayo 2.jpg (52.9 KB, 263 views)
Old 08-28-2021, 05:28 PM

Default Cigars Romeo y Julieta card Bombin Pedroso

Travis you commented that you want me to show Bombin Pedroso, now you will see his card from the Romeo and Juliet collection that I scanned a few years ago. Have you seen it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eustaquio Bombin Pedroso.jpg (25.2 KB, 254 views)
Old 08-29-2021, 09:43 PM
Kenny Cole

pedroso
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1924-25 Aguilitas Segundas 878 Pedroso SDB.jpg (77.8 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg 1923-24 Tomas Gutierrez 4 Pedroso SDB.jpg (78.0 KB, 254 views)
Old 08-30-2021, 08:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Travis you commented that you want me to show Bombin Pedroso, now you will see his card from the Romeo and Juliet collection that I scanned a few years ago. Have you seen it?
I have never seen many of these cards you are showing, Roland. Thanks again for your contributions...I really don't have much to contribute but have always liked this postcard... It says Mexico on the back but I was under the assumption it was Cuban when I bought it. I like the action scene regardless...

Last edited by Leon; 08-30-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:35 PM

Default Leon

Leon, I did not know that photo, I also like that scene at home, the face of the player is not well seen but maybe it is Basilio (Brujo) Rosell, he belongs to the Hall of Fame of Mexico and was an excellent Pitcher, there is a Anecdote that when he was 44 years old they put him to pinch hit and to everyone's amazement he hit hit and won the game 2x1, in the comment of the photo you show it says in Spanish "showing off youth, jump ...." I do not know the translation if you understand, he was born in Matanzas Cuba in 1902, I repeat that perhaps he is El Brujo Rosell because the photo is from 1945 and his age would be 43 or 44 years old, the juice for that team from Mexico until 1947.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:17 AM

Kenny, you have shown two excellent Bombin Pedroso cards, I consider it very positive for everyone, that others who see this thread show cards and photos of Pedroso
Old 09-01-2021, 01:17 PM

Default Martin Dihigo

In the photo we see Martin Dihigo doing a demonstration of mastery of the ball, observe: Limonar Martinez, Patato Pascual, Zabala, Varona and others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dihigo. Patato Pascual, Limonar Martinez.jpg (46.6 KB, 215 views)
Old 09-02-2021, 04:26 PM

Default Joe Crónica -Boston

From the American Series in La Tropical the Boston player Joe Cronin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe Cronin.jpg (55.9 KB, 204 views)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:28 AM

Default Cristóbal Torriente and Bombin Pedroso

Travis, now you will see a photo of my collection that I edit at the top where we see Bombin Pedroso with Cristobal Torriente in the Cuban Star uniform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C.Torriente-Bombin Pedroso.jpg (47.5 KB, 203 views)
Old 09-05-2021, 04:30 PM

Default Cuban Stars Eustaquio Pedroso

Now you will see Bombin Pedroso in full body
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E. Pedroso.jpg (60.9 KB, 185 views)
Old 09-06-2021, 04:48 PM

Default Connors -The Rifleman - Gerorimo

All on Mondays at 2pm On Cuban TV they put on a program with western movies, today they put Geronimo, played by Connors, I saw her and took pictures of the screen, and as a curious thing I am going to show 2 photos, because they have asked me about The Rifle Man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geronimo Ch. Connors.jpg (68.1 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Geronimo- Connors.jpg (57.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 09-08-2021, 01:29 PM

Default " Home Run " Johnson

Now you will see a picture of "Home Run" Johnson playing for Team Fe B.B.C. in Almendares Park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Homerun Johnson Fe B.B.C..jpg (81.0 KB, 169 views)
Old 09-10-2021, 03:33 PM

Default Pedro Ramos Pitcher

In these last days I have had several emails with my friend the Cuban expitcher Pedro Ramos, he asked me to show him things about him, I am going to share with those who see this thread some of what I have sent him, when he saw these cards he told me : "Thank you, it is a very nice memory" in the other thread, then I am going to publish something I sent you and the response I received a few minutes ago, see the two threads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pedro y CAMILO.jpg (41.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg REVERSO DE PEDRO Y CAMILO.jpg (41.5 KB, 152 views)
Old 09-12-2021, 04:59 PM

Default Travis see Bombin Pedroso

The well-known catcher "Strike" González in an interview that made him manifest the following: "The best of all was Bombin Pedroso, he dominated the curves down and the corners like no other, Mendez the speed, but he surpassed Mendez and Luque, the best of all Bombin "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bombin.jpg (43.2 KB, 138 views)
Old 09-12-2021, 06:38 PM
Travis Wise

Default Never seen that one

I've never seen that image of pedroso.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:55 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Henry Thompson-Mike Gonzalez-Herberto Blanco

Quote:
The well-known catcher "Strike" González
I don't know if "Strike" Gonzalez is 4-time World Series winner Mike Gonzalez. But here is Mike Gonzalez with Hank Thompson and Herberto Blanco.

Mike Gonzalez was the third base coach (for the last time) in the bottom of the eighth inning of the seventh and deciding game of the 1946 World Series when he may have attempted to stop Enos Slaughter's "Mad Dash". If Gonzalez put up a stop sign, Slaughter ignored it, as he scored the winning run and "dashed" into baseball history.

Gonzalez is also credited with coining a succinct and lasting piece of baseball terminology. Asked by the Giants to scout a winter league player, González judged that the player was outstanding defensively but a liability as a batter. He wired back a four-word scouting report: "Good field, no hit." That phrase is still in use today.

In 1947, Henry Thompson was the first black player to play for the St. Louis Browns. Herberto Blanco was a good example of a "Good field, no hit" player.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1631530156
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1947Gonzalez-Thompson-BlancoPhotograph.jpg (78.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 09-13-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
I don't know if "Strike" Gonzalez is 4-time World Series winner Mike Gonzalez. But here is Mike Gonzalez with Hank Thompson and Herberto Blanco.

Mike Gonzalez was the third base coach (for the last time) in the bottom of the eighth inning of the seventh and deciding game of the 1946 World Series when he may have attempted to stop Enos Slaughter's "Mad Dash". If Gonzalez put up a stop sign, Slaughter ignored it, as he scored the winning run and "dashed" into baseball history.

Gonzalez is also credited with coining a succinct and lasting piece of baseball terminology. Asked by the Giants to scout a winter league player, González judged that the player was outstanding defensively but a liability as a batter. He wired back a four-word scouting report: "Good field, no hit." That phrase is still in use today.

In 1947, Henry Thompson was the first black player to play for the St. Louis Browns. Herberto Blanco was a good example of a "Good field, no hit" player.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1631530156

No Strike Gonzales and Mike Gonzales are two different people. Since they were both catchers of the same era they are often confused in American Stories about Cuban baseball. There is an oft repeated story that John McGraw said that he would pay 100000 for Mike Gonzales if he were white. This led to the belief that Mike somehow snuck across the color line. While McGraw did make the statement he was talking about Strike who was a dark skinned black man
Old 09-14-2021, 12:14 PM

When I published my last message there were 3 messages: from Travis, from George and from Jason and that was very good, thanks to the 3, because with their opinions we can all know stories and anecdotes, for example George's photo I have not found it seen, I waited until today for more people to publish, but it was not like that, now I will give an explanation of what I know, McGbraw said the following: "If I could paint them even with lime, and they would be worth 100, 000 dollars" that said it In the presence of some people and next to them were Mendez and Strike, and he pointed to both of them, (in Cuba, cal as it is white, is used to paint mainly the ceilings, not the meaning in English, the translator put lime) by Strike I can say that he was considered the best Cuban catcher of all time, he was inseparable from Méndez but also from Bombin Luque and the Almendares pitchers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.9.jpg (70.3 KB, 114 views)
Old 09-15-2021, 07:51 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default 1947 Photograph from Havana, Cuba

This is a 1947 photograph of Brooklyn Dodgers star Pete Reiser in full uniform and taking a few hacks in the batting cage before a spring training game in Cuba.

Harold P. "Pete" Reiser. "Pistol Pete". Outfielder for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1940-1942 and 1946-1948 and for the Cleveland Indians in 1952. 786 hits and 58 home runs in 10 MLB seasons. Phenomenal talent cut down by injuries resulting from reckless play, including MLB-record 11 times taken off the field on a stretcher. 3-time All-Star. 1963 World Series champion. 1941 NL Batting champion. 2-time NL stolen base leader. His best season was 1941 for the Brooklyn Dodgers as he posted a .406 OBP with 117 runs scored in 601 plate appearances.

The reverse of the photograph has a caption: International News Photos. Pete Packs a Wallop. Havana, Cuba . . . . . . During a warm-up game at the Dodger camp, Pete Reiser is shown winding up to hit one in the bleachers (he hopes). Catcher is Homer Howell. The Brooklyn team opens a three-day exhibition series against the Boston Braves here tonight. D.2.28.47.

Homer "Dixie" Howell had a "small" MLB career with 224 hits across 8 seasons, but he was a 1955 World Series champion and played a larger role in MLB history. In 1946, he had just returned from the war and was playing for the Montreal Royals. The 1946 Royals, led by second baseman Jackie Robinson, won the league championship and the Junior World Series, but are famous as the first racially integrated team in "organized baseball" since the 1880s. Howell witnessed Robinson's constant battle against intimidation—especially in the form of brushback pitches.

"I was with Jackie on Montreal", Howell told Roger Kahn in 1953. "The way he was thrown at that year was unbelievable. Unbelievable and disgraceful."

"You never saw anything like it", Howell said in a Los Angeles Times interview published eight months before his 1990 death. "Every time he came up, he'd go down!"

According to Robinson biographer Arnold Rampersad, Howell was one of two Southern-born Montreal players (with Marv Rackley) who personally wished Robinson well on his promotion to the parent Dodgers in April 1947, breaking the baseball color line.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1631713660
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1947ReiserPhotographFront.jpg (78.5 KB, 111 views)
Old 09-15-2021, 10:22 PM

Default Pete Reisee

George, Reiser played many times in Cuba in the American Series of La Tropical, now you will see something from the 1941 and 1942 Programs where Reiser's name appears, I took a picture of the programs with my phone, maybe they don't look good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1941 Team.jpg (77.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 41.jpg (82.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 41 Roster.jpg (79.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:16 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Outstanding, Rolando! Heckuva "Probable Lineup".