NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2022, 12:27 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default The end results of hoarding

This could really go in any era's board. There are numerous cards that are publicly known to have been hoarded, like:

T206 Doyle's
Obak Miller's
1952 Topps Bartirome (the funniest by far)
1961 Topps Hal Smith
1964 Topps Curt Flood

Hoarding a card seems to spike the value of it as set collectors and/or opportunists scramble. I don't think this is really supply/demand so much as it is a perception of supply/demand. There are some cards I hoard and I own a large percentage of without causing any change in price, because nobody knows it is hoarded. There's apparently enough still out there that the price hasn't risen naturally.

It seems to me that outing a hoard hurts the hoarder over the long haul - it brings in more cards in the short term but escalates the price to such an extent than it can't be better over the long haul than being patient and waiting for cards to come up and quietly snapping them up.

I'm mostly curious about hoards that have stopped, and their end results. 1952 Topps Bartirome's are an expensive card still, even if the value has fallen from the peak. I believe this hoard is dead, but the prices remain elevated. the 1964 Curt Flood hoard is, I believe, also dead but it's price has returned to only a little above normal. Has any significantly hoarded card ever had those cards return back to the general hobby after the hoarder gives up or passes away, to balance values out? Has publicly hoarding and offering above market ever performed better than silent patience would have?
Old 05-18-2022, 01:07 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

I'm still waiting for my hoarding of 1989 Gregg Jefferies rookie cards to pay off...I have not seen the market spike on those yet, but I wait patiently.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:21 PM
Joe M.

[QUOTE=Kaneen;2225997]I'm still waiting for my hoarding of 1989 Gregg Jefferies rookie cards to pay off...I have not seen the market spike on those yet, but I wait patiently.[/QUOTE. Ha!!! Ha!!

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 05-18-2022, 02:38 PM
Ben North

I have hoarded several different cards over the years. Still hoarding 2 different cards and only 2 people besides me know what thse 2 cards are. My experiance in hoarding is as soon as others know you are hoarding a specific card the majority try to take avantage of you.

I recently quit hoarding a card i had been hoarding since 1989. Untill recently I bought or traded for everyone I have ever seen except two. Then I had a guy email me that he had "some" he wanted to sell. He wanted easily 10X what I had paid for them in the past. Then he let me know he had 30 of them. So what I had thought was an insannely rare card now had 4 times the population that has been found in the previous 3 plus decades.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:53 PM
Albert Bee

Default hoarding

Yea, hoarding is a strange quirk of collectors....many have done it to a small extreme ..some larger...I find it amusing ...Topps printed ..I dont know...6 million 1972 T " Joe somebody "....even the largest bankroll in the hobby would have trouble "tilting the scales ".

Even the dude who thought he " cornered the market" of 64 T Flood cards...was not even close .....I will admit it does effect other collectors looking for that certain card
Old 05-18-2022, 02:54 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

I stopped hoarding T205 American Beauties, Cycles, Piedmont 42’s, And Broadleafs.

I had a lot of people pissed off at me for unloading that hoard. Same guys took full advantage of the decrease in value it created. Can’t see the forest through the trees sometimes. Your welcome.

Member since 2009
Old 05-18-2022, 03:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
I stopped hoarding T205 American Beauties, Cycles, Piedmont 42’s, And Broadleafs.

I had a lot of people pissed off at me for unloading that hoard. Same guys took full advantage of the decrease in value it created. Can’t see the forest through the trees sometimes. Your welcome.
Selling is a weird thing with hoards. I hoarded a rare card and owned about half of the known copies. Sold them slowly over a couple years for really really good money. After I quit hoarding and sold mine another hobby friend got the bug and hoarded the same card. He also got to own about half the known population. That population went from around 24 when I hoarded to about 40. My friend decided to unload his collection because of age. With unloading his fairly quickly it has killed their price. The last couple he sold was for about 20% of the cheapest one I sold.

Last edited by bnorth; 05-18-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:49 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Not from anyone on this forum, but …

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
My experiance in hoarding is as soon as others know you are hoarding a specific card the majority try to take avantage of you.
Hold my beer.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:41 PM

As someone pointed out above, a known hoard may bring more examples out of hiding. When I was finishing my 1910 Obak set around 10-15 years ago, a N54 board member PMed me that he had an available Miller, SF and offered it to me directly because he wanted to help me complete my set, and he added "didn't want the hoarder to get another".

I hoard a particular 1916 Zeenut (have 5) because I like it, but I don't think anyone cares and it hasn't affected the market because no one in their right mind would try to complete that set.

Andy
Old 05-26-2022, 02:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by howe’s hunter View Post
hold my beer.
lol
Old 05-19-2022, 07:13 AM

I recently sold a 1975 Jose Cardenal PSA 8 for $150 and I have no idea why the market is currently dictating this price. The population is on par with other commons (121 PSA 8).

A quick look at Ebay shows 2 sold recently for $170 and $179.

1975 Topps has become hot the past couple years (again), but this one I can't figure out. I paid $20 for 2 of them about 5 years ago.

Last edited by BioCRN; 05-19-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:23 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

As an E98 collector, this thread speaks to me lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2022, 11:14 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Sure I hoard.

But hoarding any Topps card for profit is a fool’s errand.
Hoarding for your own enjoyment should be encouraged , since a hobby is supposed to be fun.

Many people know my hoard card is 1971 Topps Football #186.
I have over 100. That’s not as many as you’d think because they are easily found and cheap (mostly) . So many have come from fellow collector pals, maybe half of them, for free…just because.

In OBC a lot of us have “hoard “ cards, but we’ll never find out the results of the original question. I don’t think we are selling any.

I suppose the original question is surrounded around the “What If” someone lets go of a large stash of 52 Bartirome or 64 Flood or a certain OBAK card.

I can predict the results will be just like BSF e98 cards. Initial high price point and a steep decline as demand cools.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:34 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Sure I hoard.

But hoarding any Topps card for profit is a fool’s errand.
Hoarding for your own enjoyment should be encouraged , since a hobby is supposed to be fun.

Many people know my hoard card is 1971 Topps Football #186.
I have over 100. That’s not as many as you’d think because they are easily found and cheap (mostly) . So many have come from fellow collector pals, maybe half of them, for free…just because.

In OBC a lot of us have “hoard “ cards, but we’ll never find out the results of the original question. I don’t think we are selling any.

I suppose the original question is surrounded around the “What If” someone lets go of a large stash of 52 Bartirome or 64 Flood or a certain OBAK card.

I can predict the results will be just like BSF e98 cards. Initial high price point and a steep decline as demand cools.
It's both the "what if?" with the implication that hoarding is never really profitable although it upsets quite a few collectors, and the question of whether being public about it actually works better than staying quiet. It's been my belief that it probably does not work better to be vocal and drive up prices, that you'll end up with most copies that come to market anyways at a much lower price if one remains quiet.

I've never thought of my 71 compulsion as hoarding before but it probably is. The most I have is 52 copies of Brodie. I pick up all the low-mid tier stars and HOFers when I see them cheap, under a $1 for a Maynard, Larry Wilson, Bobby Bell, Tarkenton, John Brodie type I generally pick it up with no intention of getting them all. I can't imagine this will ever have any real effect on supply, there are so many 71 footballs out there
Old 05-22-2022, 04:27 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 1971 Topps FB

Greg… yup you are a hoarder.
And you chose a great set to do so!

I’m glad I’m not the only one

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.