NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-14-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
The four McLain covers sent me to the database. I had forgotten about the 1993 cover with Gibson. Interesting tidbit. In 2006, I was at a show getting Freehan on his cover. In my opinion one of the cooler looking covers. Freehan takes the magazine and opens up the cover and looks at the first two pages. Puzzled, I asked why he looked inside the cover. "I was not supposed to be on the cover that week. Denny McLain was supposed to be on the cover but due to his troubles he was removed. Some magazines exist with my cover over the McLain cover."

I have never seen the Freehan / McLain variation. Has anyone seen the variation?
That would drive me me nuts. I’ve seen no such photos or never have been known for such a cover version to exist. I just Googled the Freehan cover and didn’t see it. It must be worth something. I wonder what McLain would think if someone got him to sign.

The Gibson cover is the only McLain cover I’m missing from my signed collection.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:29 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
That would drive me me nuts. I’ve seen no such photos or never have been known for such a cover version to exist. I just Googled the Freehan cover and didn’t see it. It must be worth something. I wonder what McLain would think if someone got him to sign.

The Gibson cover is the only McLain cover I’m missing from my signed collection.
I doubt McClain would even care. McClain was at a show and I was getting all four of his covers signed. Given that the player has to the right to reject any item, I questioned whether he would sign one of the covers. I placed the covers with Kaline and Gibson on top with "Baseball's Big Scandal" on the bottom. When he got to the scandal magazine, I said "Sorry, I collect SI Covers", without missing a beat McClain said "No problem, they will write anything to sell magazines." No lie. I went home and read up on McClain's woes. Interesting story. I think McClain would sign his mugshot without blinking an eye.

If the variation is out there, (I hate to use the word) but it would be a rare one.

Last edited by Huck; 06-15-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:20 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Here's my copy of the Gibson/McLain signed SI. I got Gibby at the Tuff Stuff show in 1999 and Denny in 2007 at a store in Chesapeake, VA. I had not asked Denny to add his record to his signature, but he did anyway with a line under it, as if to say "Gibson wasn't the only one to have a great year in 1968."

I'll try to get some more uploaded as I've got about 250 signed SIs, including some tough Steeler covers.

Quote:
I doubt McClain would even care. I think McClain would sign his mugshot without blinking an eye.
I am sure that as long as he was getting paid for it, he wouldn't care.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gibson McLain SI2.jpg (163.4 KB, 467 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 06-15-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I doubt McClain would even care. McClain was at a show and I was getting all four of his covers signed. Given that the player has to the right to reject any item, I questioned whether he would sign one of the covers. I placed the covers with Kaline and Gibson on top with "Baseball's Big Scandal" on the bottom. When he got to the scandal magazine, I said "Sorry, I collect SI Covers", without missing a beat McClain said "No problem, they will write anything to sell magazines." No lie. I went home and read up on McClain's woes. Interesting story. I think McClain would sign his mugshot without blinking an eye.

If the variation is out there, (I hate to use the word) but it would be a rare one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Here's my copy of the Gibson/McLain signed SI. I got Gibby at the Tuff Stuff show in 1999 and Denny in 2007 at a store in Chesapeake, VA. I had not asked Denny to add his record to his signature, but he did anyway with a line under it, as if to say "Gibson wasn't the only one to have a great year in 1968."

I'll try to get some more uploaded as I've got about 250 signed SIs, including some tough Steeler covers.

I am sure that as long as he was getting paid for it, he wouldn't care.
Obviously, I can’t get Gibson now because he’s passed on, but can still get McLain on the 1993 cover. He signed his other three covers at shows without problem for me. The scandal cover from 1970 is one of my favorites in my entire collection.

250 signed SIs? Man, I’ve gotten more of 100 of them, most coming since 2019 and I’d have love to get every one I possibly can.

Last edited by Topps206; 06-17-2023 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:15 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Obviously, I can’t get Gibson now because he’s passed on, but can still get McLain on the 1993 cover.

250 signed SIs? Man, I’ve gotten more of 100 of them, most coming since 2019 and I’d have love to get every one I possibly can.
As a rule, I don't get covers signed that I can't complete. It would just bother me. I have the 7/5/2010 cover signed by Johnson and Jiminez. Should have could have, wish I would have taken the mail order option at one of Halladay's last shows, but I figure he would be around again and again. Nope. Now, I have a magazine that is 2/3 signed forever. I am at 233** signed covers (baseball only) and it is getting harder to add covers to the collection. If I can manage to get there, I might stop at 250. In years past SI would have 10-12 baseball covers a year, thus far in 2023, just two covers. Plus the players on the covers now usually cost well over $100 a signature. No way, I add Big Papi to the cover collection at $200+ a throw. The days of seeing players like a Andy Etchebarren, Frank Lary or Johnny Callison grace the cover of SI are long gone.

** not completely true, of the 233, one cover is signed by Brandi Chastain and another by Jennie Finch. Hey, I am human. Both are cool covers and Jennie is holding a bat.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:16 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
** not completely true, of the 233, one cover is signed by Brandi Chastain and another by Jennie Finch. Hey, I am human. Both are cool covers and Jennie is holding a bat.
You get a pass for those two.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Something a little different is this SI advertising poster based off their April '88 cover with Bill Ripken....I had Bill sign/date it many years ago & it now hangs in my office:

The cool thing is that I had got two of these posters from SI's ad agency & I gave the other one to a friend who is a pastor, who got his framed as well and hangs in his office to this day.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:57 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Something a little different is this SI advertising poster based off their April '88 cover with Bill Ripken....I had Bill sign/date it many years ago & it now hangs in my office:

The cool thing is that I had got two of these posters from SI's ad agency & I gave the other one to a friend who is a pastor, who got his framed as well and hangs in his office to this day.
Nice poster! I have the magazine signed. Billy has always been a good guest. He signs the magazine and the handler asks "if I want the item authenticated." "I respond, "no thank you" and Billy replies "He knows how much my signature is worth." lol

I have never seen the poster. Was the poster only available through SI?

Last edited by Huck; 06-16-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
As a rule, I don't get covers signed that I can't complete. It would just bother me. I have the 7/5/2010 cover signed by Johnson and Jiminez. Should have could have, wish I would have taken the mail order option at one of Halladay's last shows, but I figure he would be around again and again. Nope. Now, I have a magazine that is 2/3 signed forever. I am at 233** signed covers (baseball only) and it is getting harder to add covers to the collection. If I can manage to get there, I might stop at 250. In years past SI would have 10-12 baseball covers a year, thus far in 2023, just two covers. Plus the players on the covers now usually cost well over $100 a signature. No way, I add Big Papi to the cover collection at $200+ a throw. The days of seeing players like a Andy Etchebarren, Frank Lary or Johnny Callison grace the cover of SI are long gone.

I feel like I look at it differently. Sure, I would like to complete a cover, but any cover with a signature counts for me as being signed.

I really want that Billy Ripken cover. Where did you get yours?

I do have a rule, however, if a player is on a solo cover or is on a cover with others, I’ll get the solo cover first, that takes top priority. This goes for all sports, such as me getting McLain’s solo covers first, getting Dave Parker’s, Graig Nettles’ and George Foster’s solo covers first, too.

So, when I graphed a signing in Evansville in January, I passed on McLain for his fourth cover, Darrell Evans for his shared cover with Greg Gagne, Foster’s shared cover with Rod Carew and also Nettles’ shared cover with Goose Gossage in favor of Nettles’ solo cover, his 1987 Topps and Foster’s solo cover.

I got Ron Blomberg on his cover from 1973. I can’t complete it because Bobby Murcer is deceased, but I count it.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:19 PM
d.ean

Quote:
I feel like I look at it differently. Sure, I would like to complete a cover, but any cover with a signature counts for me as being signed.

I do have a rule, however, if a player is on a solo cover or is on a cover with others, I’ll get the solo cover first, that takes top priority. This goes for all sports, such as me getting McLain’s solo covers first, getting Dave Parker’s, Graig Nettles’ and George Foster’s solo covers first, too.

So, when I graphed a signing in Evansville in January, I passed on McLain for his fourth cover, Darrell Evans for his shared cover with Greg Gagne, Foster’s shared cover with Rod Carew and also Nettles’ shared cover with Goose Gossage in favor of Nettles’ solo cover, his 1987 Topps and Foster’s solo cover.

I got Ron Blomberg on his cover from 1973. I can’t complete it because Bobby Murcer is deceased, but I count it.
I like the Murcer and Bloomberg cover. Murcer died before I would have attempted completing that cover. I would have wanted to get Murcer first. I will try to complete multiple-player covers if I can get the harder players first (ex. 1968 - Bench the rookies cover). Did TTM on three of the five signatures. Tracked down Cisco Carlos (owns tile/furniture place out west). Don Pepper is a regional manager for Bob Evans restaurants. Tracked him from NC/SC to some place up north. Alan Foster just sent to his home address. A collecting friend got Torrez for me and I got Bench. Tough cover to get all 5, but it can be done! Nettles solo cover is okay, but the cover with Goose is pretty slick (have both).

I would have to check my database on the exact date but MAB Celebrity out of NJ used to promote a ton of shows. MAB used to do theme shows which were great. If memory serves, Billy was a guest at one of the MAB shows in Maryland. If Billy appears in the area and I attend the show, I would be happy to get the cover signed for you.

Last edited by Huck; 06-18-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:55 AM
d.ean

Quote:
March 8, 2008 in Baltimore, Maryland at the MAB - Ironclad Authentics Signature Showcase show. I got signatures from Billy Ripken, Tony Perez, Harmon Killebrew, Reggie Jackson and Ernie Banks at the show. Billy the only signature on a cover, the rest of the signatures were on Perez-Steele postcards.

Last edited by Huck; 06-20-2023 at 08:55 AM.