NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2019, 04:17 PM
Rich Klein

Default Sad News -- Dan Dischley

Dan was a true hobby pioneer who founded and published/edited The Trader Speaks from 1968-82. He was also one of the 16 founding members of SABR in 1971.

I did not see an obit on a quick search but there was this post on one of the SABR facebook pages: This is copied exactly as I saw it on FB so please excuse the typos.

SABR. My friend Dan Dishley always talked about SABR for years. Dan past on this past weekend, and thought I would let you no. He loved writing about Baseball, and leaves many written papers about it. Thank you.

TTS was the 1st hobby publication I subscribed to when I got more hobby oriented in early 1977.

Regards
Rich
Old 09-30-2019, 04:27 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Well RIP to a true hobby legend. He sold TTS in the early 80's after about 15 years of grinding them out each month-right man in the right place at the right time for sure.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Nick

Default Dan Was A Hobby Legend

Dan truly was a hobby legend. I started subscribing to The Trader Speaks in the early 1970s and then a few years later started writing for him. My pay was free ads in TTS. I was more than happy with those trades.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:34 PM
Mike Eisenbath

I was a subscriber beginning in 1972. I still have all of them somewhere in a box with my SCDs. I learned so much reading those. God rest his soul.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2019, 08:38 PM
Banned

while sports collectors digest was the Cadillac of hobby papers in the 1970s and early 80s, the trader speaks was the Rolls Royce.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:20 PM
Rob

Default The Trader Speaks

When I was a kid in the 70's, I always thought that was the coolest name for a magazine about baseball cards. I still do. R.I.P. (These are not mine, although I have a copy of the OJ one.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tradespeaks.jpg (75.9 KB, 738 views)
Old 09-30-2019, 11:42 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default RIP Dan

Wow great memories from that name! I remember you used to get a free classified ad with your years subscription! Some long long named place called Lake Ronkonkoma New York Id never heard of it before TTS and dont think Ive ever heard of it since. The days of George Lyons and Lew Lipset as well as Halls Nostalgia.....sigh.........RIP Dan
Old 10-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Wow great memories from that name! I remember you used to get a free classified ad with your years subscription! Some long long named place called Lake Ronkonkoma New York Id never heard of it before TTS and dont think Ive ever heard of it since. The days of George Lyons and Lew Lipset as well as Halls Nostalgia.....sigh.........RIP Dan

NiceDoctor

Lake Ronkonkoma is in Suffolk County, Long Island (NY). When were kids in the 1950's, my family would take vacationing there.
A really nice scenic resort.

Dan was a great guy.

GOD Bless his soul …..and, comfort his family and friends.

TED Z
Old 10-01-2019, 08:46 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Wow. Very sad news.

When I was approximately 16 years-old, I met Dan at a card show he was sponsoring at Shea Stadium around 1978. Up to that point we had been corresponding for about 2 years via snail mail.

He introduced me to artist Bob Loughlin (who drew the cartoons for the Fleer baseball cards in the early 1970s) at that show and had him autograph several of his cards for me.

Dan always gave me a lot of grief (in a fun way) for being a loyal Mets fan, despite them having a pretty lousy team back then.

When I told him that I was thinking of becoming a police officer when I was older, he did his best to talk me out of it. (If I remember correctly, I believe that he was a retired NYPD police officer.)

R.I.P. Dan.

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 10-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post
Wow. Very sad news.

When I was approximately 16 years-old, I met Dan at a card show he was sponsoring at Shea Stadium around 1978. Up to that point we had been corresponding for about 2 years via snail mail.

He introduced me to artist Bob Loughlin (who drew the cartoons for the Fleer baseball cards in the early 1970s) at that show and had him autograph several of his cards for me.

Dan always gave me a lot of grief (in a fun way) for being a loyal Mets fan, despite them having a pretty lousy team back then.

When I told him that I was thinking of becoming a police officer when I was older, he did his best to talk me out of it. (If I remember correctly, I believe that he was a retired NYPD police officer.)

R.I.P. Dan.
Dan printed a special issue for the Shea Stadium show:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TTS Convention Issue.jpg (76.0 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by toppcat; 10-04-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:56 AM

I'm sorry to hear about that Dan passed away. He was a true pioneer in this hobby and encouraged me as a card collector in the early 70's. I bought my first T206 card from The Traders' Speaks, a Ty Cobb red portrait in near mint condition for $5.00 from Fred Copp of Detroit Michigan.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:03 PM

I had the pleasure of talking baseball with Dan on several occasions in recent years and always seemed to learn something new from our conversations, especially about his beloved Cincinnati Reds.

Here is our tribute to him on the SABR website that was published today:

https://sabr.org/latest/memoriam-dan-dischley
Old 10-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Rich Klein

I'd been searching for an obit but found this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dischley.jpg (47.0 KB, 233 views)
Old 10-01-2019, 11:53 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Dan D.

Sad news indeed!

I knew Dan well back in the early to mid 70's. I wrote a series of articles on Topps test sets and other oddball releases for TTS. He worked very hard to keep the publication going.

Dan was a cop in "real" life. One of my most lasting memories of Dan had nothing to do with the hobby.

There was a "convention" as we called them then in Long Island and Dan took a group of us ( Gar Miller, Don Lepore, Bill Mastro, John Rumeriez, and I think Irv Lerner) out for the evening to what is now referred to as a Gentlemen's Club. It had a different name in those days.

He walked us in, flashed his badge and we got the best service of anyone there that night. I guess the club had to keep the cops on their good side!!

Cool guy
Old 10-02-2019, 09:26 AM
Randy Trierweiler

I'm really sorry to hear of the passing of Dan. As a very young collector in the early 1970s, it was always a thrill when The Trader Speaks showed up in the mailbox. It was one of the few outlets to get any information on the hobby for me. I met Dan at the 3rd National in St. Louis in 1982. Fascinating guy.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default A Tribute to Dan Dischley

Dan's contributions to the hobby and BaseBall are numerous. I love reading the SABR write-ups on various BB players.
Here is my favorite The Trader Speaks (TTS) issue. Depicted on it's cover is my favorite Sportscard memorabilia piece.
Great articles in this TTS by hobby legends of the late 1970's....Bill Heitman, Lew Lipset, George Lyons, and Tom Reid.

I acquired my Goodwin Champions Album in 1997. It is the finest example of Sportscards' Lithography ever produced.

. .

TED Z
Old 10-02-2019, 05:59 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

Sigh. There goes another key player from the hobby of my youth. He single-mindedly, without any thought of huge profits, published a fine magazine for well over ten years that benefitted the entire hobby. A good guy indeed.

For those who are too young to grasp the difference between the key hobby publications of the Seventies:

SCD was where you went if you wanted to sell stuff.

The Trader Speaks is where you went if you wanted to learn stuff.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Paul

Default Signed T206 Snodgrass - Hindu Back

I never knew Dan, except that he apparently once owned the rarest-backed signed T206 card I’ve ever heard of. Man, would I love to know where this signed T206 Snodgrass with Hindu back is today. I reached out to him six months ago, but never heard back.

This was his “For Sale” page from February 1976. $3 bucks? Wow.

Trader Speaks (Feb 76) (Snodgrass Hindu) arrow

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206