NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 19th Century Cards & ALL Baseball Postcards- B/S/T

Old 08-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Default For Trade: 1860s Baseball Stereoview

Posted By: Joe D.

since my collecting 'want list' has switched over (almost exclusively) to "Fatima"-land....

I am moving my 1860s baseball stereoview over to 'tradeable' for T200 Fatima team cards or T222 fatima player cards.

The stereoview shows what looks like a pick-up baseball game in front of a building and a nice size crowd. Pitcher ready to deliver as the batter and catcher wait for the ball.

All trade offers considered... even those where I would have to add cash.

Stereoview is not available for sale - trade only.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 08-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

this is a general board type inquiry, but since the item is up for trade on the b/s/t --- I thought the general board was no longer an appropriate place to discuss the item - so here goes.....

(I would love any comments. I don't care if you trash the item or praise it... I am in no hurry to get rid of it, and I consider this fair game for any comment.)

1) Value? I have been asked to give this item a value (more than one inquiry). Quite honestly, I was just looking for an intriguing trade... but I think value info might be helpful to myself and to others who are looking into baseball stereoviews. I am a rookie on baseball stereoviews. It seems from other threads in the 19c b/s/t that values can be all over the place. Any opinions on value would be appreciated. All comments are fair game.

2) Photography in general took hold in the 1840s-ish (I believe)... and this particular stereoview most likely dates to 1860s (possibly early 1870s). I have not seen an earlier photograph of the game of baseball being played. I am not going to proclaim this the earliest (I am not that brash nor am I that learned)...
but are there other known -earlier- photographs of the game of baseball being played? Is this 'one' of the earliest examples? Again, I realize I am opening myself up to negative comments about the item. I don't mind and appreciate anything that is posted.

Regards,
Joe

P.S. --- if this type of post goes against rules - please delete and accept my apologies.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George H. Counter

I think the $200 you paid for it was a good price.
Maybe add $50-75 for a fair resale price.

Yes, there are a lot of earlier "in action" photographs in various formats including stereo views.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Manos

The one with the photo of the stadium earlier post. Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

George,

Very cool to know. Thank you for that pricing info. I bought it without knowing if I overpaid or was getting a steal. Looks like it was just about right with a little room to the upside.

I completely believe you when you say there are plenty of earlier baseball action shots (like I said I am new to early photography stuff)... but at the same time I would love to see some.

Again - thanks for the post!

Regards,
Joe

Old 08-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Jim,

Yes... thanks for that info.

Edit to say: Yours was from the late 1880s, mine from the 1860s. But then again, depending on the buyer: yours with a stadium (not a pickup game) may have had more appeal (completely subjective I guess).

Regards,
Joe

Old 08-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George H. Counter

Joe- I don't think yours is 1860s material.
Hard to put a date by looking at the image itself, but stereo view card mount isn't that early.
There are others here that can elaborate a lot more on this I'm sure.

I have in action scans on my computer drive but the originals belong to some board members, and others I found on the web.

Why not post your question on the general forum?

Old 08-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

George,

I would have posted the questions in the general forum... but I feared it would have looked as though I was trying to advertise and pump a b/s/t post on the general forum.

I hear leon has a dungeon for such offendors.

Edit to add:
I did have a general board post on the topic when I first picked up the card.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1152396933/1860s+Baseball++-+my+first+19th+Century