NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Default A refresher course on why the Joe Doyle Nat'l card is so rare

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

For those of you who are new to T206 cards, or need a refresher regarding why the Joe Doyle "Nat'l" card is so rare.
Also, there have been several responses that indicate that some collectors have questions regarding this mysterious
T206 card.

The theory as to why the Joe "Doyle N.Y. Nat'l" card is so very scarce is quite simple. The 350-only Series of T206's
was initially issued in late 1909 (or early 1910). There are 216 Subjects in this Series, that includes Joe Doyle......a
pitcher for the NY Highlanders of the AL.

In this Series is another Doyle......Larry of the NY Giants (NL). Therefore, we can conclude that the T206 designers
must of confused Joe with Larry and captioned Joe's card with "Nat'l". The first batch of this Series of cards rolled
off the printing press and where shipped to the Piedmont plant in Virginia. The Piedmont's were always printed first.

Back in NYC at American Lithographic (ALC), an alert Quality Control checker quickly caught the "Nat'l" mistake on
the first batch of Joe Doyle cards. With haste they simply erased the "Nat'l" lettering on the caption printing plate.
In doing this, they created another error, the error of omission. They should have added "Amer." next to N.Y. This
corrected card should have read...."Doyle, N.Y. Amer."....so, they corrected their initial error with another error.

Anyhow, a few of the Doyle "Nat'l" cards left ALC and were inserted into Piedmont packs before they were caught,
along with some other (Piedmont 350) T206's that are almost as rare as the Doyle (but, not as noteworthy).

How many Doyle "Nat'l" cards were inserted into Piedmont packs ?

We will never know. But, 99 years later we can account for only 7 of them. Perhaps, if we are lucky, there are a
handful of the Doyle error cards still out there some where and they will eventually be discovered.

Furthermore, there are the regular Doyle cards with the aforementioned "printer's mark". A survey here 2 years ago
showed that 12% of the regular Doyle cards can be found with this "mark". It is theorized that this "mark" is a rem-
nant of the "N" in "Nat'l" that remained when ALC did not cleanly erase off the word "Nat'l" on the printing plate. This
variation of the regular Doyle card can be found on cards with Piedmont 350, Sweet Caporal 350, Old Mill, and Polar
Bear backs.

Incidently folks, this same scenario applies to the Magie card, except a greater number of the Magie cards were in-
serted into Piedmont cigarette packs before ALC caught this spelling mistake.....and, corrected it to read Magee.

Finally, I cannot emphasize these two factors enough......

The Doyle N.Y. Nat'l card was printed only on a PIEDMONT 350 back.

The Magie card was printed only on a PIEDMONT 150 back.

TED Z

Old 01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jantz

Great stuff Ted!

Keep it coming

Jantz

Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

That was a great summary, a great read. In regard to the following, what are some examples:

"along with some other (Piedmont 350) T206's that are almost as rare as the Doyle (but, not as noteworthy)."

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

very well said, TRex.
many thanks.
by the way, when you say 'It is theorized... ,' you are being a bit humble methinks, since the theory began with you, didn't it?

all the best,

barry

Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Copied and pasted the info from both this thread and the Jan 10 thread into a word document. I'm not going to lose sight of this info.

Ted - THANK YOU!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Ted, let me add a bit,

American Litho could quickly remove Nat'l from the brown process much easier than they could replace it with Amer., which would require a new plate. To file off the protruding "Nat'l" would have been a easy fix, maybe done by a printer / Highlander fan, who knows?

Maybe a new plate was coming around the corner... but Joe Doyle, the pitcher, wouldn't be in the majors much longer when this was happening. Joe Doyle was with the American league Highlanders/Yankees, 1906 - 1909. In 1910 he was only in 8 games, 3 for New York, then 5 for Cincinnati. His last game was June 25th, 1910... which is about series 350 time. On his way out after 75 major league games... no time for a corrected New York Amer. card. And since he was with Cincinnati so briefly, it there was no time for the issueance of a Cincinnati Nat'l card in series 350.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Excellent insight that possibly explains why the "Amer." was not added to the caption of the normal Joe Doyle N.Y. card.

The Joe Doyle N.Y. card is unique in the T206 set, as it's the only one that doesn't have its Major League identified (for
cities having 2 teams).

Thanks Frank,

TED Z

Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

Please understand that the series of events you described could very well have happened exactly like you've described. You're basing your theory on what's known about timing of print runs and the known surviving examples. It's the best story of the card so far but it's not impossible that the Doyle mess didn't come about in a different way. If Doyle(any variation) cards were printed and shipped off to Piedmont along with all the other cards in that series then my guess is that they would have been shipped all together and in the same approximate quantity per player. If the shipment only included the Nat'l then they'd have to exist in a much larger quantity. So maybe that first shipment to Piedmont also included some of the other variations of Doyle. If the printer removed most of the Nat'l to create the dotted variation, then that first shipment of cards to Piedmont could have also included dotted cards along with the Nat'l variation. If they removed most of the Nat'l and started printing again why now do you find different backs on that partial quick fix card. I'd then assume that later the Nat'l was removed completely and all the other backs became possible. Then you have a card like I pictured missing more of the lettering at bottom, and it is not unique, and maybe it's possible to consider that the removal of Nat'l wasn't intentional. It's just odd that you'd ship down to Piedmont a gazillion cards, presumably in an equal player distribution, and include only the Nat'l variation of the Doyle in an extremely limited quantity. Possible? Impossible?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Here are 8 - T206 cards from the 150 Series that were extended into the 350 Series by virtue of
their Piedmont 350 backs. With the exception of Lundgren, the other 7 cards are relatively easy
to find with their usual 150 Series backs. However, all 8 of these cards are extremely scarce to
find with the Piedmont 350 back. Furthermore, they were not printed with Sweet Caporal 350 or
Sovereign 350.

My research shows, that whenever these 8 cards are found with their rare Piedmont 350 backs....
there is a fair probability that a Doyle N.Y. Nat'l card will be found.... unfortunately, this seldom
occurs. This has been a theory of mine that was proven recently with empirical evidence. The
original collection of Richard Russell (who collected T206's as a teenager in 1910-1911) includes
these rare Piedmont 350 cards and the Joe Doyle error card.

Early in 1910, when the Piedmont 350 cards were shipped to the Richmond (VA) tobacco factory,
they were INITIALLY shipped in small batches (not huge amounts). This fact, in my opinion, is
supported by the scarcity of this group of cards. Subsequently, as Amer. Litho. printed up more
350 Series cards, larger shipments of T206's went to the Piedmont factory (as well as the other
various T-brand factories).

In the example presented here (the Russell collection) the VA factory inserted these T206 cards
in their Piedmont cigarette packs and shipped them to the Atlanta (GA) area in 1910.

[linked image]

I welcome any further debate on on this subject ?

TED Z

Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Ted,

Excellent summary. I would only add for the sake of completeness that the career paths of seven of these eight players offer explanations for their abbreviated print runs with the Piedmont 350 back. Carl Lundgren and Vive Lindaman each played their last Major League game in 1909. Bob Ganley, shown with the Senators, was selected off waivers by the Athletics on May 18, 1909. Tom Jones, shown with the Browns, was traded to the Tigers on August 20, 1909. Ed Karger, depicted with the Reds, was purchased by St. Paul on June 9, 1909 and shipped to the Red Sox later that month. And Bill Dahlen and Bob Ewing moved to new clubs during the 1909-10 off-season. That leaves only George Mullin to ponder.

Scot

Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Nice, Scot...

Wabash George Mullin was with Detroit before, during and after the issuance of the white border tobacco cards. So I don't know what the deal is with him. I know he was one of only 4 players who ever pinch hit for Ty Cobb. And he was a bar tender for a time after his playing days were over...

Karger is interesting. Reckon that has anything to do with his card being one of the less plentiful of the American Caramel E90-1s?

Definitely, someone at American Litho had their eyes open for the movement of players, at least to some extent.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the insight on these 7 Subjects and I'm sure that their career's ending played a part
in their very limited printing with the Piedmont 350 backs.

But, having George Mullin to ponder, leads me with this observation. I'm sure we can name some
other players that are 150/350 Subjects, whose career ended in 1910 (or were traded)......that
were printed with the full complement of 350 type T-brand backs.

I have to maintain my belief that these 8 Subjects are somehow linked to the initial printing that
included the Doyle error card.

Perhaps, all 9 of these cards were on the same sheet, and when ALC chose to discard the Doyle,
these 8 were discarded along with the Doyle.

TED Z

Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Administrator

I presented my theory that Amer. Litho. (ALC) must have first printed the T206's on Piedmont
backs in your famous EPDG thread back in 2006. Then you coined the phrase "Piedmont Primacy
theory". Well, I am certain this is true for the 150 Series and the 350 Series issues. I'm not too
sure about the 460 Series. And, obvious to most, is that more T206's were inserted in Piedmont
cigarette packs than any other T-brand. If you recall, Bill Heitman chimed in on your EPDG thread
and agreed with me. His comment was that the Piedmont brand was the top of the American To-
bacco Company's "darling" T-brands; and, would get the cards first.

I initially based my theory on these 3 cards (Jennings, Lundgren, and Magie) in the 1st Series of
the T206 set. You see, all 3 of them were printed ONLY with Piedmont 150 backs. Then, when I
realized that the Doyle N.Y. Nat'l card was printed ONLY with a Piedmont 350 back, that served
to reinforce my Piedmont Primacy theory.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Barry....I'll say it again, your EPDG thread, Scot Reader's T206 book and Bill Brown's "Super-Set"
spreadsheet were the "sparks" that have ignited a tremendous amount of new thinking regard-
ing "The Monster". We have learned a lot more about the T206 set; and, in this process, we
have resolved some of its age old mysteries.

TED Z

Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Ted,
I like to think of the German word 'unabgesichert'---uncharted territory or
uncharted journey--- as illuminative of what has been occurring on this
remarkable quest. As you note graciously, there have been a number of
key maps, such as Reader's tome,Brown's super set, the epdg thread involving
scores of 206 scholars, and other very critical threads along the way.
I, for one, have to underscore gratitude for your navigation along the way,
signifying the highest expression of the Roman tenet 'primus inter pares'.
And the journey continues.

all the best,

Barry

Old 01-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Frank,
Interesting point you raise about Karger's scarcity in E90-1. A causal link with his team switch sounds plausible to me--although I claim zero expertise regarding that set.

Ted,
I think that it is more than mere coincidence that seven of the "elite eight" Piedmont 350 shortprints (to borrow your term) experienced a change in career trajectory in 1909--just as the early departure from the set of several of the 150-only subjects [e.g. G. Brown (Chicago), Pattee, Powers] can be explained by trades and other career-changing events. I don't think this undercuts your theory necessarily.

Scot

Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Powers suffered the ultimate career change.

Powers died April 26, 1909, from internal injuries attributed to an injury suffered chasing a foul ball in Shibe Park's inaugural game, April 12, 1909.

I think that American Litho might have curtailed printing of his cards. I think kids who had his card might have pitched it away because he was no longer playing.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Here are additional 150/350 series Subjects whose Major League BB careers ended in the 1909-1910
timeframe. Nevertheless, they were printed on most of the 350 backs (EPDG, P350, Old Mill, Sov 350,
SC350 f25, SC350 f30).

Oct 1908......Mike Donlin (seated) suspends his Major Lge. career

Major Lge.
career ends

May 1909.....Louis "Bull" Durham
Jun 1910......Ed Hahn
Oct 1909......Frank Isbell
Jun 1909......Glenn Liebrandt
May 1910.....Harry Lumley
Apr 1910......Simon Nicholls
Jun 1909......Claude Ritchey
Sep 1909......Al Shaw
Oct 1909......Jimmy Williams

And, the following 150/350 series Subjects who were traded in the 1909-1910 timeframe were printed
on most of the 350 backs (EPDG, P350, Old Mill, Sov 350, SC350 f25, SC350 f30).

Abbaticcio
Ball
Covaleski
Criger
Nichollss
Spade
Sullivan

Gentleman, there is more here than meets the eye as to why Dahlen, Ewing, Ganley, Tom Jones, Karger,
Lindaman, Lundgren and Mullin (throwing) are not found with the usual complement of 350-type backs as
the above listed Subjects. Furthermore, the only 350 back (Piedmont 350) that these 8 cards are found
with is an extremely scarce one.

TED Z

Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Sorry ole buddy, but I differ with you regarding the Mike Powers card.

It actually happens to be more available than the other 11 cards in the "150-only" Series.
Surveys have shown that Powers is 2x more available than any other cards in this series.

I'll follow this up shortly with a more detailed post on Powers.

TED Z

Old 01-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator

FRANK W

Mike "Doc" Powers death due to an on-field injury on Opening Day (April 12, 1909) at Shibe Park
is a very sad event in BB history. From 1901 - 1909, Powers was Eddie Plank's preferred battery
mate.
Powers card is one of the 12 Subjects in the "150-only" Series of the T206 set. The Amer. Litho.
Co. issued his card with the full complement of "150-type" T-backs (shown here). Mostly found
with the PIEDMONT 150 back, Powers is also quite available with the SWEET CAPORAL 150, Fac-
tory #649 1st Dist. N.Y. (overprint) back. This was an ATC Factory in Rochester, NY.

Now, what I find most interesting....is that Powers died on April 26, 1909; and, yet his card was
issued with more backs than any of the other 11 cards in the 150-only Series. Furthermore, sev-
eral surveys have shown that the Powers card is twice as available than the other 11 tough to
find cards printed in this initial Series. Therefore, does this fact tell us that, perhaps, the initial
launch of the T206 cards was months earlier than has been reported ?

[linked image]

TED Z

Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Interesting, Ted. Is it necessarily true that more backs equate to more cards? I still think Powers was a card that was more likely to be thrown away than other cards, back in 1910 and 1911...

Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Yes.....the more the various T-backs that a T206 Subject was printed with does equate to
more card availability of that Subject.....for example....

Red Cobb has 24 diff. backs (and for that matter all 6 of the super-prints have at least 18)

Conversely, Subjects with the least variety of T-backs are the toughest......

Lundgren (Cubs)....P150, P350, EPDG
Elberfeld (Washington-portrait)....P350, SC350, OM
Dahlen (Brooklyn)....P350, Sov350, SC350, OM

OK, since you helped me complete my Sweet Caporal 150 Fac. 649 overprint set....I'll let you
in on my latest "wild imagination" regarding this sub-set. It has always bothered me that this
sub-set comprises of 35 cards. This number does not fit into my lowest common denominator
of a 6 card format in the printing of the T206's.

Your post regarding "Doc" Powers got me thinking. As you know, Powers was the Catcher of
choice for Eddie Plank, so it's my belief that there was a 36th card in the SC150/649 set, it
was Plank. A study of the players in this set indicates that 66% of them are either Pitchers
or Catchers.

Recall that the 150 Series Plank is only available with SC150 Fac 25 or SC150 Fac 30. There-
fore, I would say that a good probability exists that Amer. Litho. also printed Plank with the
Factory 649 back. But, never issued Plank due to the theoretical conflict with the American
Caramel Co.

[linked image]
......................Plank and Powers......perfect together................

TED Z