NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2951  
Old 08-12-2021, 04:06 PM
bigfanNY bigfanNY is offline
Jonathan Sterling
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,117
Default

Most here know this is one of the most iconic Orioles pictures. After Clinching the 1966 World Series Brooks getting some serious air. This one is signed by Brooks Andy Echebarren and Dave McNally. It is a postcard from the Babe Ruth Museum in Baltimore Inviting Ted Patterson ( Baltimore Sportwriter) to an exhibition of Great moments in Orioles History in Dec 1985.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210812_175542.jpg (69.0 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg 20210812_175555.jpg (61.0 KB, 255 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2952  
Old 08-12-2021, 05:22 PM
ksfarmboy's Avatar
ksfarmboy ksfarmboy is offline
Clint
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,396
Default

That’s awesome Bill, congrats!
__________________
Buying Kansas CDVs, Cabinets, RPPCs and other pre 1930 memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #2953  
Old 08-12-2021, 07:25 PM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Most here know this is one of the most iconic Orioles pictures. After Clinching the 1966 World Series Brooks getting some serious air. This one is signed by Brooks Andy Echebarren and Dave McNally. It is a postcard from the Babe Ruth Museum in Baltimore Inviting Ted Patterson ( Baltimore Sportwriter) to an exhibition of Great moments in Orioles History in Dec 1985.
That's a neat piece....While that picture is an iconic one, it may be the first one I've seen signed by all 3
Reply With Quote
  #2954  
Old 08-13-2021, 02:30 AM
Mark70Z's Avatar
Mark70Z Mark70Z is offline
M@rk Comer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
A fellow Ripken collector who attended the most recent National saw a dealer there from Charlotte and inquired if he had items related to Cal's time there.

The dealer reached down from under his table and pulled out a few things with the most unique thing being a 16x24 team photo board in which a fan back in 1980 took pictures of the team members, then had them sign them and affixed them to this board.

Fortunately the collector thought the item fit better in my collection and a deal was made:
Bill,

That’s a great addition to your collection; love it.
Reply With Quote
  #2955  
Old 08-13-2021, 02:34 AM
Mark70Z's Avatar
Mark70Z Mark70Z is offline
M@rk Comer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Most here know this is one of the most iconic Orioles pictures. After Clinching the 1966 World Series Brooks getting some serious air. This one is signed by Brooks Andy Echebarren and Dave McNally. It is a postcard from the Babe Ruth Museum in Baltimore Inviting Ted Patterson ( Baltimore Sportwriter) to an exhibition of Great moments in Orioles History in Dec 1985.
Jonathan,

Great piece! I thought all Orioles related items would come to my attention since they’re not “old enough”
Reply With Quote
  #2956  
Old 08-13-2021, 06:25 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,506
Default

Today is my oldest son's birthday and a few years back I found this Associated Press laserphoto of Bill Ripken in action from the day he was born (and had him sign/inscribe it). We had it framed & it now hangs in his home:



Last edited by roarfrom34; 08-13-2021 at 06:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2957  
Old 08-14-2021, 08:12 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,506
Default

On the subject of birthdays, HBD to Earl Weaver who would have been 91 today...These pieces have been shown in the past but certainly deserve to be re-posted...

After Earl retired (for the second time) after the '86 season, he gave his individual hand written opposing player scouting reports to coach Jimmy Williams for use in '87 (I later had him sign the metal box); Jimmy then gifted them to me:



Photo matched warmup top from the '85 season (with the sewn in pocket for his cigarettes):



Lastly, a letter from A.L. President Lee MacPhail to Earl from July of '79 regarding an ejection and an original press photo from The Sun showing the incident:



1970's County Stadium hand painted (signed) nameplate:

Happy Birthday Earl!

Last edited by roarfrom34; 08-14-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2958  
Old 08-14-2021, 10:40 AM
uyu906's Avatar
uyu906 uyu906 is offline
Rich
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South-central PA
Posts: 350
Default

Super Cool Earl notes!! That box should be in the baseball hall of fame!!
Reply With Quote
  #2959  
Old 08-14-2021, 10:44 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyu906 View Post
Super Cool Earl notes!! That box should be in the baseball hall of fame!!
some of the index cards have tobacco stained thumbprints on the back of them!
Reply With Quote
  #2960  
Old 08-14-2021, 10:46 AM
uyu906's Avatar
uyu906 uyu906 is offline
Rich
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South-central PA
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
some of the index cards have tobacco stained thumbprints on the back of them!
Awesome!!
Reply With Quote
  #2961  
Old 08-14-2021, 04:21 PM
Mark70Z's Avatar
Mark70Z Mark70Z is offline
M@rk Comer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,885
Default

Bill,

Hope your son had a great birthday! Really like what you did with the inscription and such a cool picture.

Man those Earl pieces are awesome…

Last edited by Mark70Z; 08-14-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2962  
Old 08-19-2021, 10:35 PM
bigfanNY bigfanNY is offline
Jonathan Sterling
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,117
Default

I just won this. I was looking over Brooks Robinson Auto's on Ebay for comps on a group of Brooks Robinson signatures I have up on BST ( shamless plug ...lol) and I saw this. Signatures on programs magazines etc are manytimes a great way to get autographs at reasonable prices. This one was no exception, it is not the Brooks or the Uker but the Chylak signature that makes this one stand out. I have a friend who trying to put together a collection of everyone in the Baseball HOF and Umpire Nester Chylak is moderately difficult passing away at 59 in 1982 and elected to HOF in 1999 this will be his Christmas present ( if he still needs Chylak). If not I might keep it because it screams Baltimore sports with Bagli and Thompson signatures. And I am a lifelong Colts fan carrying that tradition from my Grandfather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210819-235428_eBay.jpg (73.7 KB, 277 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2963  
Old 08-20-2021, 07:45 AM
Mark70Z's Avatar
Mark70Z Mark70Z is offline
M@rk Comer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I just won this. I was looking over Brooks Robinson Auto's on Ebay for comps on a group of Brooks Robinson signatures I have up on BST ( shamless plug ...lol) and I saw this. Signatures on programs magazines etc are manytimes a great way to get autographs at reasonable prices. This one was no exception, it is not the Brooks or the Uker but the Chylak signature that makes this one stand out. I have a friend who trying to put together a collection of everyone in the Baseball HOF and Umpire Nester Chylak is moderately difficult passing away at 59 in 1982 and elected to HOF in 1999 this will be his Christmas present ( if he still needs Chylak). If not I might keep it because it screams Baltimore sports with Bagli and Thompson signatures. And I am a lifelong Colts fan carrying that tradition from my Grandfather.
Jonathan,

That’s a great looking Brooksie signature on the front cover.
Reply With Quote
  #2964  
Old 08-22-2021, 07:26 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,506
Default

Recently picked up this January 1983 program of a charity basketball game between Oriole players and members of a Hanover/York (PA) radio station (I wonder how John Shelby ended up with #22 lol):


Last edited by roarfrom34; 08-22-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2965  
Old 08-22-2021, 03:35 PM
BaltOrioles BaltOrioles is offline
Alan Strout
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maine/Florida
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Recently picked up this January 1983 program of a charity basketball game between Oriole players and members of a Hanover/York (PA) radio station (I wonder how John Shelby ended up with #22 lol):


Bill,

Nice pick up. I saw it listed, but ended up passing on it. I'm glad you ended up with it.

I do have a similar program from December 1983. The Orioles played a group from Frederick County.

1983 Winter Basketball (Frederick County All-Satrs).jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2966  
Old 08-24-2021, 06:34 PM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default 1960s Orioles Bobble Heads

Does any one have a thorough list of all the Oriole Bobble Heads in the 1960s?

Thanks!

Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #2967  
Old 08-25-2021, 11:01 AM
Mark70Z's Avatar
Mark70Z Mark70Z is offline
M@rk Comer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Does any one have a thorough list of all the Oriole Bobble Heads in the 1960s?

Thanks!

Charlie
I’m sure not an expert on these, but below is my listing (dates may be estimates):

Orioles Nodders

1960-61 Color Base - Green
1960’s White Base Mini
1961 Boy Face Mini
1961-62 White Base Mini
1962 Black Face
1961-63 White Base
1963-65 Black Face
1963-65 Green Base
1966-71 Gold Base
Reply With Quote
  #2968  
Old 08-27-2021, 06:29 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,506
Default

The Babe Ruth Museum puts out these well done brief "How 'Bout That" vignettes about Baltimore sports history on YouTube & the latest one has to do with what many thought was Brooks' last career game in 1976 (narrated by my buddy Bill Stetka):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd8oc6Dsln8
Reply With Quote
  #2969  
Old 08-28-2021, 06:56 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,506
Default

With Cal's 61st birthday being earlier in the week I was reminded of when he signed a five year contract on his his birthday back in '92...

I was very fortunate to have a friend who was the sports director of a MD radio station and he would save me all the Orioles press release's, etc. that would cross his desk...

Kind of fun to go through them every once in awhile:

Reply With Quote
  #2970  
Old 08-29-2021, 09:44 AM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default Orioles Bobbleheads

Hi, everyone. Mark shared with my his list of Oriole Bobbleheads from the 1960s above but here it is again (thanks, Mark):

1960-61 Color Base - Green
1960’s White Base Mini
1961 Boy Face Mini
1961-62 White Base Mini
1962 Black Face
1961-63 White Base
1963-65 Black Face
1963-65 Green Base
1966-71 Gold Base

Below are 7 / 9. The Mini White Face (Boy) is missing along with the Black Face with a Serious look. I am surprised there are no 1970 Oriole Bobbleheads...maybe someone knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobbleheads Orioles.jpg (77.3 KB, 224 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2971  
Old 08-29-2021, 09:48 AM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default Brooks Robinson Boxes

Hi, everyone. I was interested in how many different boxes Brooks appears on, which i own that are not PSA graded. Here they are. I have several more Bazooka boxes graded that are not shown. Left to right: 1962 Post Cereal unassembled, 1971 unassembled Bazooka no number, 1970 Action Cartidge, 1975 Hostess, 1970 Kellogg’s, 1970 Milk Duds, 1966 Bazooka, 1976 Hostess, 1977 Burger Chef Triple Play Funnel, 1969 Transogram, and 1964 MVP Rawlings. Always looking for more (expecially the 1964 Big 8 Rawlings Glove Box)! Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boxes Brooks.jpg (84.5 KB, 232 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2972  
Old 08-29-2021, 10:18 AM
sflayank sflayank is offline
larry s
larry ser.ota
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: sunrise fl
Posts: 4,717
Default

This one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200704_143629.jpg (78.1 KB, 223 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2973  
Old 08-29-2021, 12:42 PM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default Larry - Big 8 Rawlings Box

Yes…that is it if the complete box. I have the Complete Card Set graded. A second set ungraded, a Brooks panel, and a complete set of the Premium Photos. Love all things Rawlings. Thanks for showing.
Reply With Quote
  #2974  
Old 08-31-2021, 05:55 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
The Babe Ruth Museum puts out these well done brief "How 'Bout That" vignettes about Baltimore sports history on YouTube & the latest one has to do with what many thought was Brooks' last career game in 1976 (narrated by my buddy Bill Stetka):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd8oc6Dsln8
Here is a press photo of Brooks shown relaxing at his locker prior to that last home game in '76 (noting the speculation that it might be his last home game as an Oriole):

Reply With Quote
  #2975  
Old 09-01-2021, 06:37 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,506
Default

On January 11th, 1990, Cal Ripken Jr. was awarded the very first Bart Giamatti Award (presented by the Baseball Assistance Team) for donating $250,000 for the establishment of the Life Long Learning Center, a facility aimed at helping the needs of more than 125,000 adult illiterates in Baltimore.

It was OTD in 1989 that Giamatti unexpectedly passed away from a heart attack (and only eight days after banning Pete Rose for life).

Here is a signed/inscribed cachet from that award presentation:


Last edited by roarfrom34; 09-01-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2976  
Old 09-02-2021, 07:53 PM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default It can be done in 61

Anyone familiar with this slogan and was it a sticker for the Orioles in the quest for their first championship?
Reply With Quote
  #2977  
Old 09-02-2021, 09:13 PM
BaltOrioles BaltOrioles is offline
Alan Strout
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maine/Florida
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Anyone familiar with this slogan and was it a sticker for the Orioles in the quest for their first championship?
I believe it was the Orioles theme for the 1961 season. The Orioles finished second in 1960 and hopes were high for the 1961 team.

Here's a napkin with that slogan printed on it.

1961 Napkin.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2978  
Old 09-03-2021, 09:20 AM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default 1961 Napkin

Hi, Alan. I have the same napkin. It is very cool. I enjoy looking at it daily. That might be strange but it is on a cabinet. I hate myself for seeing a cardboard sign or sticker on eBay I past on with same saying. Saw a BW photo and the manager had the sign in his hands. I will keep looking. Thanks for sharing! BTW, chipping away at the smaller team pictures and post cards but it is slow. PSA will not grade any of the Brooks ones to add to the Master.

Hope you are well.

Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #2979  
Old 09-06-2021, 08:10 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,506
Default

Hard to believe that its been 26 years since Cal Ripken Jr. surpassed the legendary Lou Gehrig for the most consecutive games played record...

Certainly a night in my life I'll never forget.

Anyways, here is a signed/inscribed press credential from that series with the Angels...I bought it off the guy who was wearing it as he exited the stadium that night...

Reply With Quote
  #2980  
Old 09-07-2021, 12:40 PM
Mark70Z's Avatar
Mark70Z Mark70Z is offline
M@rk Comer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Hard to believe that its been 26 years since Cal Ripken Jr. surpassed the legendary Lou Gehrig for the most consecutive games played record...

Certainly a night in my life I'll never forget.

Anyways, here is a signed/inscribed press credential from that series with the Angels...I bought it off the guy who was wearing it as he exited the stadium that night...

That seems like it just occurred. Man, time is flying. Great looking item by the way!!
Reply With Quote
  #2981  
Old 09-16-2021, 09:32 PM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default Recent Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set Additions

Hi, everyone. A few recent additions to the Brooks PSA Master Set. These were stacked up for a few months. I tried to add the 1964 Martin Marietta Family Night hand out card and 1961 Baltimore News Post but they denied my request. Both are pretty rare so I was very disappointed. This was a large update to the set, which is now at 293 items. Top left to right is the 1974 OPC Orioles Team Card. Next,is the 1967 OPC The Champs card with Brooks, Frank and Bauer. The 1967/68 Coca Cola Caps are mostly 1 of 1s in the master. The O10s Tab, Fanta Orange, Fanta Root Beer and Fanta Grap are impossible to find. Same with the #3 Fanta Orange. The grades are not that high but good luck finding these. All of the Coca Cola Caps are 1 of 1s in the Master. Next, is one of my rarest finds...the 1970 Dayton Daily News. It received an Authentic Grade but I was very happy that they at least graded it. This is the only one graded. The 1961 Post Cereal Panel featuring Brooks is another 1 of 1. I thought the grade was low, but very excited to add it. Finally, one of my favorite sets is the 1969 Nabisco Team Flakes. This complete panel was surprisingly on ebay and thanks to Mark Comer, he pointed it out and I made an offer and won. This panel is pretty hard to find and was not so happy with the grade but at least it is now part of the Master Set. I was 100% on the Master but recently fell short on the completion with 3 additions. The 1962 Sports Service Baltimore Orioles Brooksie was added and I had one on hand and sent to PSA just today. The Brooks 1962-1965 Jap Pub Type 2 B on Cap Batting Waist View was added...I think I have that one already graded. I think it is labled wrong and asked PSA to accept it. The final addition is a 1962 Post Cereal Boyer/Boros/Brooks hand cut panel. I think this is a panel of 3 cards from a box going left to right. I can't find one nor a picture...this is what keeps me up at night. Hope you enjoyed and keep up the "posts."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks Adds to Master Sep 21.jpg (77.5 KB, 131 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2982  
Old 09-17-2021, 08:08 AM
ksfarmboy's Avatar
ksfarmboy ksfarmboy is offline
Clint
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,396
Default

Great adds Charlie! What grades did the Martin card and the Baltimore
Post get?
__________________
Buying Kansas CDVs, Cabinets, RPPCs and other pre 1930 memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #2983  
Old 09-17-2021, 02:07 PM
Mark70Z's Avatar
Mark70Z Mark70Z is offline
M@rk Comer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,885
Default Brooks Robinson

There are some GREAT, tough to find items, right there. Glad you could pick up the Nabisco Team Flakes since I knew you were looking for that for a while. Looks great slabbed and looks far better than the grade indicates.

Of course my favorite is that ‘61 Post Panel; looks AWESOME!
Reply With Quote
  #2984  
Old 09-17-2021, 02:15 PM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default Brooks cards

Sadly they did not grade the 61 Baltimore Post and Martin Card.
Reply With Quote
  #2985  
Old 09-17-2021, 03:57 PM
ksfarmboy's Avatar
ksfarmboy ksfarmboy is offline
Clint
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Sadly they did not grade the 61 Baltimore Post and Martin Card.
WTH, I could see maybe not adding to the register but there’s no reason not to grade them. They’ve graded everything else. Can you take it higher up the ladder? Sorry they didn’t grade them.
__________________
Buying Kansas CDVs, Cabinets, RPPCs and other pre 1930 memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #2986  
Old 09-17-2021, 05:53 PM
Mark70Z's Avatar
Mark70Z Mark70Z is offline
M@rk Comer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,885
Default

Didn’t they already grade one of the ‘61 Oriole Scrapbook newspaper cutouts? Those were made to cut out of the paper; they have the lines for cutting; they should grade…
Reply With Quote
  #2987  
Old 09-17-2021, 07:12 PM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default Brooks Master Grading

I took the 64 Martin and 62 Baltimore News Post (BNP) to the National for a walk through. There was already a 62 Baltimore News Post already graded. When I picked my graded cards up the BNP ungraded I was shocked since one was already graded and part of the Registry. They told me it was graded by accident. I was livid and asked to talk to someone but like a dictatorship, no appeal process. They said the Martin card had no reference despite research I gave them. Again…I was miffed.
Reply With Quote
  #2988  
Old 09-17-2021, 07:33 PM
71buc's Avatar
71buc 71buc is offline
Mikeknapp
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Great NW
Posts: 2,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Hi, everyone. I was interested in how many different boxes Brooks appears on, which i own that are not PSA graded. Here they are. I have several more Bazooka boxes graded that are not shown. Left to right: 1962 Post Cereal unassembled, 1971 unassembled Bazooka no number, 1970 Action Cartidge, 1975 Hostess, 1970 Kellogg’s, 1970 Milk Duds, 1966 Bazooka, 1976 Hostess, 1977 Burger Chef Triple Play Funnel, 1969 Transogram, and 1964 MVP Rawlings. Always looking for more (expecially the 1964 Big 8 Rawlings Glove Box)! Enjoy.
That glove box is beautiful. Do you have a mint glove in there?
__________________
1971 Pirates Ticket Quest:
96 of 153 regular season stubs (63%), 14 of 14 1971 ALCS, NLCS , and World Series stubs (100%)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Reply With Quote
  #2989  
Old 09-18-2021, 10:38 AM
ksfarmboy's Avatar
ksfarmboy ksfarmboy is offline
Clint
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
I took the 64 Martin and 62 Baltimore News Post (BNP) to the National for a walk through. There was already a 62 Baltimore News Post already graded. When I picked my graded cards up the BNP ungraded I was shocked since one was already graded and part of the Registry. They told me it was graded by accident. I was livid and asked to talk to someone but like a dictatorship, no appeal process. They said the Martin card had no reference despite research I gave them. Again…I was miffed.
I would be upset too if I was in the registry game. Especially with the time and money you’ve used to accumulate past and present pieces. There’s absolutely no reason not to grade them. They’ve graded paper cutouts before and the Martin cards are certainly cards and genuine. I’d keep trying and maybe contact the top dog if you can get ahold of him. Hopefully something turns up on the way the Martin cards were distributed. Wish we had some old Martin plant newsletters.
__________________
Buying Kansas CDVs, Cabinets, RPPCs and other pre 1930 memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #2990  
Old 09-18-2021, 02:50 PM
Mark70Z's Avatar
Mark70Z Mark70Z is offline
M@rk Comer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
I would be upset too if I was in the registry game. Especially with the time and money you’ve used to accumulate past and present pieces. There’s absolutely no reason not to grade them. They’ve graded paper cutouts before and the Martin cards are certainly cards and genuine. I’d keep trying and maybe contact the top dog if you can get ahold of him. Hopefully something turns up on the way the Martin cards were distributed. Wish we had some old Martin plant newsletters.
The Martin Family Night set was issued as a stadium giveaway. The game was in conjunction with Martin Family Night. I believe the game was held on July 17, 1964; I think Alan may have the program if I’m not mistaken.
Reply With Quote
  #2991  
Old 09-18-2021, 04:43 PM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default Martin Family Night Program

Mark, (I am being a little mean but that set is so rare and a treasure) a 20something year old at the National told me to provide more details and maybe they would grade it. He was the customer facing person that would go between me and the Senior grader. i asked to see the Senior grader but that was not going to happen. The program might help with my background information. i would like to try again. We'll see. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2992  
Old 09-18-2021, 07:26 PM
BaltOrioles BaltOrioles is offline
Alan Strout
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maine/Florida
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Mark, (I am being a little mean but that set is so rare and a treasure) a 20something year old at the National told me to provide more details and maybe they would grade it. He was the customer facing person that would go between me and the Senior grader. i asked to see the Senior grader but that was not going to happen. The program might help with my background information. i would like to try again. We'll see. Thanks.
Charlie,

That's very disappointing. You would think that they would put a little effort into customer service.

Here's the program from 1964. The Orioles hosted Martin Family nights from 1963-1967. I have the company flyer for the 1967 game, but not 1964.

1964 Martin Family Night.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2993  
Old 09-19-2021, 09:32 AM
ksfarmboy's Avatar
ksfarmboy ksfarmboy is offline
Clint
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
The Martin Family Night set was issued as a stadium giveaway. The game was in conjunction with Martin Family Night. I believe the game was held on July 17, 1964; I think Alan may have the program if I’m not mistaken.
I’d just like to know how they were distributed. With approximately 22,600 in attendance, did everyone get a set or each family? Were they given out to select winners? There were either 22,600 sets made or if each family averaged around 4, 5600 sets. If special give aways then who knows? So from those sets less than a handful are known today?
Were regular people also able to attend the game or only Martin employees? This would skew the number of sets too.
Alan do you have any pics of the inside of your program?
__________________
Buying Kansas CDVs, Cabinets, RPPCs and other pre 1930 memorabilia.

Last edited by ksfarmboy; 09-19-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2994  
Old 09-19-2021, 12:29 PM
BaltOrioles BaltOrioles is offline
Alan Strout
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maine/Florida
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
I’d just like to know how they were distributed. With approximately 22,600 in attendance, did everyone get a set or each family? Were they given out to select winners? There were either 22,600 sets made or if each family averaged around 4, 5600 sets. If special give aways then who knows? So from those sets less than a handful are known today?
Were regular people also able to attend the game or only Martin employees? This would skew the number of sets too.
Alan do you have any pics of the inside of your program?
Clint,

I don't have definite answers to your questions, but do have some theories. I doubt very much that the cards were given out to regular fans, since so few have surfaced. Most likely only to Martin employees attending the game and I have no idea how many that might have been.

I do have a flyer from the 1967 game, but nothing from 1964. The 1967 flyer mentions that someone in each dept will have tickets available for purchase. It also mentions several Orioles players visiting the company cafeterias to promote sales and several contests that employees could enter related to the game.

My guess is the 1964 cards were either distributed as part of the ticket sales promotion at the company or part of a gift bag given to Martin employees attending the game.

Anyone know a Martin employee from the 1960's??

1967 Martin Family Night Flyer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0524.jpg (78.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg SCAN0525.jpg (79.2 KB, 103 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2995  
Old 09-19-2021, 01:00 PM
Chstrite Chstrite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 463
Default Martin Family

Alan, thanks and understood. Much appreciated. The 1967 flyer is a nice item. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #2996  
Old 09-19-2021, 01:08 PM
ksfarmboy's Avatar
ksfarmboy ksfarmboy is offline
Clint
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Clint,

I don't have definite answers to your questions, but do have some theories. I doubt very much that the cards were given out to regular fans, since so few have surfaced. Most likely only to Martin employees attending the game and I have no idea how many that might have been.

I do have a flyer from the 1967 game, but nothing from 1964. The 1967 flyer mentions that someone in each dept will have tickets available for purchase. It also mentions several Orioles players visiting the company cafeterias to promote sales and several contests that employees could enter related to the game.

My guess is the 1964 cards were either distributed as part of the ticket sales promotion at the company or part of a gift bag given to Martin employees attending the game.

Anyone know a Martin employee from the 1960's??

1967 Martin Family Night Flyer
Thanks for your reply Alan. There is a Martin museum in Maryland. I found a web site and sent them a question asking about the cards. They may know someone that used to work there and I’ll relay any information that they give me. Cross our fingers and hope they can add something. That 67 flyer is pretty cool and thanks for sharing.
__________________
Buying Kansas CDVs, Cabinets, RPPCs and other pre 1930 memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #2997  
Old 09-19-2021, 02:31 PM
ripfan008 ripfan008 is offline
Mike Magee
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Thanks for your reply Alan. There is a Martin museum in Maryland. I found a web site and sent them a question asking about the cards. They may know someone that used to work there and I’ll relay any information that they give me. Cross our fingers and hope they can add something. That 67 flyer is pretty cool and thanks for sharing.
Good afternoon,

I grew up right next to Martin Marietta (literally in walking distance). I took my wife to the Martin Museum around Christmas 2019 when they had a Train Garden to raise money for the place. Since Lockheed bought it, they've been selling off all of the old Martin materials. I do mean selling. They had turned the library into an area to go through all of the old books and materials for sale (I'm assuming after they had gone through to make sure items weren't classified). I went through everything looking for anything about the old Orioles nights and came up empty. Everyone in the place was in their 20s but maybe they know some old Martin employees or have some in the family?

Alan, thanks for posting the 1967 Family Night Poster,

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2998  
Old 09-19-2021, 06:35 PM
BaltOrioles BaltOrioles is offline
Alan Strout
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maine/Florida
Posts: 823
Default Martin Family Night programs

For anyone interested, here are the other Martin Family Night programs from 1963, 1965, 1966 and 1967. The later ones mention prizes on the front, but I'm not aware of any other cards, except for 1964.

1963 Program

1963 Martin Family Night.jpg

1965 Program

1965 Martin Family Night.jpg

1966 Program

1966 Martin Family Night.jpg

1967 Program


1967 Martin Family Night.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2999  
Old 09-19-2021, 06:47 PM
ksfarmboy's Avatar
ksfarmboy ksfarmboy is offline
Clint
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,396
Default

Amazing programs Alan, thanks for sharing!
__________________
Buying Kansas CDVs, Cabinets, RPPCs and other pre 1930 memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #3000  
Old 09-20-2021, 05:41 PM
Mark70Z's Avatar
Mark70Z Mark70Z is offline
M@rk Comer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,885
Default

Alan… love those programs. Thanks so much for posting and getting to see them again.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baltimore Orioles Cal Ripken Jr. Game Used & Frank & Brooks Robinson Autographs Sinatra737 Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T 1 01-31-2016 09:36 AM
Nice Baltimore Orioles Lot Cal Ripken Game Used Frank & Brooks Robinson & More! Sinatra737 Autographs & Game Used B/S/T 2 01-31-2016 07:23 AM
1954-1965 Baltimore Orioles (38) Cards with (3) Brooks Robinson, Larsen RC--10/31 Orioles1954 Live Auctions - Only 2-3 open, per member, at once. 11 10-31-2014 05:37 PM
1908 Eastern League Champions Baltimore Orioles with Wilbert Robinson JMANOS 19th Century Cards & ALL Baseball Postcards- B/S/T 1 05-03-2013 05:39 AM
Wilbert Robinson Circa-1894 Baltimore Orioles Game-Worn Jersey Leon Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 12 10-14-2009 01:59 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:09 AM.


ebay GSB