NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-27-2022, 09:50 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Definitely slowed down now, but next bid would put it over $11m.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:01 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Should be interesting
Would love to know who all the bidders were
I was one of them.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:07 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

It is very interesting that big auction with key card like this ends on the day after stock market/crypto crashes. Pretty sure more or less would affect the final price.

Last time the LeBron triple logoman (est. $5Mil) card also ended a few days after crypto crashes (BTC drops below $20K and ETH drops to $9xx)
Old 08-27-2022, 11:29 PM
Ch.r.ls M.u.lr

Ended at 12.6mil, after BP
Old 08-28-2022, 12:40 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

$12,600,000 including buyers' premium.

Actual high bid was $10,500,000 so it definitely is a true $10 million card.

If the final actual bid was, say, $9,000,000 and only broke the $10 million barrier once the buyers' premium was added, would it still be seen as a "legitimate" $10 million card?

Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 08-28-2022 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

If the final actual bid was, say, $9,000,000 and only broke the $10 million barrier once the buyers' premium was added, would it still be seen as a "legitimate" $10 million card?
Yes. Buyer’s premium is 1000% part of the price.

Also, I don’t think the stock or crypto market impacted the high-bidder’s ability/desire to buy this card. A 52 Mantle is very different from some Logoman card, and $3mm is much different from 11mm+. The winner, and underbidders, on this card have money completely untied/not related-dependent on the stock or crypto market

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 08-28-2022 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:02 AM
Drew W@i$e

12 million is a lot of money, but I actually think this price was low. With the backstory and grade, I was thinking it would go for 15-20 mil.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:14 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
12 million is a lot of money, but I actually think this price was low. With the backstory and grade, I was thinking it would go for 15-20 mil.
Many people were thinking the same thing as you. But with over 30 days of bidding and all the press. This is the market value for this card at this time.

An amazing card got an amazing price and set a new Standard.

Wow

It was interesting to watch but sadly no impact on most cards but it did create a buzz about the collection and hopefully it brings new people to collecting

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-28-2022, 04:30 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Let's watch... I think this Mantle got onto a flipper's hand. It will change hand within 3 yrs.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:19 AM
Johnny MaZilli

This went for a Bargain imo. 10 years down the road this will be a $30 million card. I think this card would’ve sold for more in REA.

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-28-2022 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:34 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
This went for a Bargain imo. 10 years down the road this will be a $30 million card. I think this card would’ve sold for more in REA.
I don't think it would make a diff if it was offered by REA, this Mantle has gotten enough publicity. The next transaction of this card would be as a private deal for sure.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:38 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
I don't think it would make a diff if it was offered by REA, this Mantle has gotten enough publicity. The next transaction of this card would be as a private deal for sure.
Agree with your second point. I’m still sticking with my guns on I believe this card would’ve did better IMO in REA auctions.

He could probably sell this privately right now to the right man or woman for 15 to 17,000,000. Instantly.

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-28-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:01 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Agree with your second point. I’m still sticking with my guns on I believe this card would’ve did better IMO in REA auctions.

He could probably sell this privately right now to the right man or woman for 15 to 17,000,000. Instantly.
I'm curious why you think having this card with REA would have resulted in a higher price. There was enough publicity about it that you would think anyone interested (and financially capable) of bidding on it would have been bidding on it no matter where it was listed. Also, Heritage is a much larger auction house than REA and they also have auctions of high priced items of many different types. I would think they would have more people registered to bid other than just card collectors that might decide they were going to bid on this Mantle for the prestige of owning it like they would a Monet or a Picasso.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:02 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:

Rich people get richer. Pretty sure the 2nd highest bidder has the "missing out" feeling and willing to offer more money after sometimes....

(I still think if the stock market was green on Friday, the card would sell for more. )
Old 08-28-2022, 08:20 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Please add the date of your last optometrist visit in your signline if commenting about how good a card looks in person.

That is all

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-28-2022, 08:21 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
Let's watch... I think this Mantle got onto a flipper's hand. It will change hand within 3 yrs.

I'm guessing 1 year or less

Old 08-28-2022, 09:13 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I'm curious why you think having this card with REA would have resulted in a higher price. There was enough publicity about it that you would think anyone interested (and financially capable) of bidding on it would have been bidding on it no matter where it was listed. Also, Heritage is a much larger auction house than REA and they also have auctions of high priced items of many different types. I would think they would have more people registered to bid other than just card collectors that might decide they were going to bid on this Mantle for the prestige of owning it like they would a Monet or a Picasso.
Last Years Highest Sale Ever$ 6,606,000 SGC 3 Wagner along with a Recent Record Sale of an SGC 5 Mantle for $306,000 thousand last month. Heritage is great for memorabilia, art, coins, etc...it’s just my opinion REA is the hands-down showcase auction for big-ticket high profile vintage cards, especially of this prestige with said letter...Idk just my opinion, REA to me would have been the place for this card.

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-28-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:22 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by here2havefun View Post
Ended at 12.6mil, after BP
I'm sorry, but that's just nuts. I don't care if it goes for $20M tomorrow, that would just be even more nuts. You can say all you want about the market speaking, etc., but this looks more to me like a market out of control. Tulips in Hollland, subprime mortgages, anyone? It does happen.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:35 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I'm sorry, but that's just nuts. I don't care if it goes for $20M tomorrow, that would just be even more nuts. You can say all you want about the market speaking, etc., but this looks more to me like a market out of control. Tulips in Hollland, subprime mortgages, anyone? It does happen.
I tend to agree
Old 08-28-2022, 10:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
According to these articles, the hobby is still red hot.
I haven't been playing close enough attention lately to say one way or another if that is true but this sale certainly isn't going to hurt the hobby any, imo.
https://www.kiro7.com/news/mickey-ma...U6FPF7XPMDMNI/
https://people.com/sports/mickey-man...uction-record/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carliep...h=43af77fa3be2
Old 08-28-2022, 11:04 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

Let's not forget the sales tax too, unless they are exempt. Whatever was paid by the buyer, out the door, is what the card sold for. Shipping, buyer's premium and sales tax, imo, are all part of the cost.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:19 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

To me it depends on who won it and that determined when it will sell next.

I think this will not hit a public auction for a while because at this price point the money is not as important as the prestige or bragging rights of having it.

And if the person was a business man (ie CEO or something) perhaps he shows it off at his office on display and add prestige to his company and Publicity and again not selling it.

I do not think a straight up investor bought this just to flip it

But of course I could be wrong

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-28-2022, 11:46 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
To me it depends on who won it and that determined when it will sell next.

I think this will not hit a public auction for a while because at this price point the money is not as important as the prestige or bragging rights of having it.

And if the person was a business man (ie CEO or something) perhaps he shows it off at his office on display and add prestige to his company and Publicity and again not selling it.

I do not think a straight up investor bought this just to flip it

But of course I could be wrong

My sentiments as well, well said.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:05 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
According to these articles, the hobby is still red hot.
I haven't been playing close enough attention lately to say one way or another if that is true but this sale certainly isn't going to hurt the hobby any, imo.
No, it wouldn't seem to, and this could very well just be another new normal as we've become accustomed to them, but then every commodity market has a peak, too. See: Bitcoin, 2021-2022.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:11 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Craziness!

Not EVEN a True Rookie Card and a Double-Print to boot.

I sure am glad I got my 1990 Fleer Jose Uribe before 'word got out'.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-28-2022, 01:18 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I'm guessing 1 year or less
+1. This just smells to me like someone (or ones) putting a lot of money in play to make a lot of quick money.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:27 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Questions

1) Is this the Alex Chilton of Boxtops fame card?
2) How did this card achieve such iconic status over so many other great cards in the hobby? This seemed to happen very quickly, was this a recent development and perhaps the result of a PR campaign? It certainly can't have the rarity of many other iconic cards, and Mantle, great as he was, is not on the level of many other all-time greats, so what made this a 10M card?
3) If this is truly a 10M card as decreed by the market, what other cards are poised to enter that rarefied realm that not even a Wagner has achieved yet. Baltimore Ruth? Goudey Lajoie? What else?
Old 08-28-2022, 01:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Do we know yet who bought it? With cards like this the winner is usually out there talking about it, no? Or is that only modern basketball and Pokémon?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-28-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:43 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

if/when this card pops up on the collectable app, or in some chase boxes or contest. Will that count as a flip?

Old 08-28-2022, 01:53 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
1) Is this the Alex Chilton of Boxtops fame card?
2) How did this card achieve such iconic status over so many other great cards in the hobby? This seemed to happen very quickly, was this a recent development and perhaps the result of a PR campaign? It certainly can't have the rarity of many other iconic cards, and Mantle, great as he was, is not on the level of many other all-time greats, so what made this a 10M card?
3) If this is truly a 10M card as decreed by the market, what other cards are poised to enter that rarefied realm that not even a Wagner has achieved yet. Baltimore Ruth? Goudey Lajoie? What else?
Balt ruth…t206 Wagner…thats it!
Old 08-28-2022, 02:13 PM
Matt

Gotta love all the classic online bile. Bile against Mantle. Bile against the 52T Mantle. Bile against the assumed buyer. The card was gorgeous and someone with the bank bought it for a bundle. While some marinate in their toxic bile I'm gonna enjoy a beautiful Sunday, maybe enjoy some cards later.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:20 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Gotta love all the classic online bile. Bile against Mantle. Bile against the 52T Mantle. Bile against the assumed buyer. The card was gorgeous and someone with the bank bought it for a bundle. While some marinate in their toxic bile I'm gonna enjoy a beautiful Sunday, maybe enjoy some cards later.
Who has criticized Mickey Mantle? Do you not know the card is not a rookie? Did you not know it was a DP? Do you not understand it does not meet SGC’s published criteria of a 9.5? What statement is “bile”?

Got to love the pumpers.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:35 PM
Greg C
Greg Cir.uln.ick

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Who has criticized Mickey Mantle? Do you not know the card is not a rookie? Did you not know it was a DP? Do you not understand it does not meet SGC’s published criteria of a 9.5? What statement is “bile”?

Got to love the pumpers.
Who needs to “pump” a 52 mantle? It’s been the most sought after and valuable post war card since I remember buying my first Beckett in 1986 lol. I’d say it’s a relatively known quantity at this point. I’d say Matt knows all those two facts about it not being a rookie and it being a DP as does 99.9% of the hobby participants of this board. Bottom line is this was a great example of a great card that brought out some heavy action.

Last edited by GregC; 08-28-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Heritage did well to call it the finest #311 ever, and to put it on the flip, because even if it isn't, the description takes on a life of its own and the card becomes unique.

As one of my favorite quotes (Wallace Stevens) goes, what we said of it became a part of what it is..

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-28-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
Who needs to “pump” a 52 mantle? It’s been the most sought after and valuable post war card since I remember buying my first Beckett in 1986 lol. I’d say it’s a relatively known quantity at this point. I’d say Matt knows all those two facts about it not being a rookie and it being a DP as does 99.9% of the hobby participants of this board. Bottom line is this was a great example of a great card that brought out some heavy action.
That it no longer needs the pumpers to keep escalating doesn't seem to stop them from getting upset by anything said about the card that is factually correct but does not serve to pump it.

Nobody has said anything against this card that is not factually correct. It is a DP. It is not a rookie. No one has criticized Mantle whatsoever. For the tenth time in this thread, nobody has said it is not a great example of a great card that would and did bring out big bucks.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Heritage did well to call it the finest #311 ever, and to put it on the flip, because even if it isn't, the description takes on a life of its own and the card becomes unique.

As one of my favorite quotes (Wallace Stevens) goes, what we said of it became a part of what it is..
I have read much of Stevens work but do not remember that line, that's a good one. If you BS hard and long enough, the BS often becomes accepted as valid.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I have read much of Stevens work but do not remember that line, that's a good one. If you BS hard and long enough, the BS often becomes accepted as valid.
Postcard From the Volcano, as I recall.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The answer to the very first question (Title of thread) is yes, so far.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." Goebbels.

As proven by DJT, but let's not get too political.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:47 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." Goebbels.

As proven by DJT, but let's not get too political.
Little late, after Goebbels and the Don separated by only 3 words
Old 08-28-2022, 02:49 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Postcard From the Volcano, as I recall.
Thank you. I need to pull him off my bookshelf again, I always find him insightful when I do. Looked this one up again. Not to hijack too far into poetry, but what a lovely piece:

Children picking up our bones
Will never know that these were once
As quick as foxes on the hill;

And that in autumn, when the grapes
Made sharp air sharper by their smell
These had a being, breathing frost;

And least will guess that with our bones
We left much more, left what still is
The look of things, left what we felt

At what we saw. The spring clouds blow
Above the shuttered mansion-house,
Beyond our gate and the windy sky

Cries out a literate despair.
We knew for long the mansion's look
And what we said of it became

A part of what it is ... Children,
Still weaving budded aureoles,
Will speak our speech and never know,

Will say of the mansion that it seems
As if he that lived there left behind
A spirit storming in blank walls,

A dirty house in a gutted world,
A tatter of shadows peaked to white,
Smeared with the gold of the opulent sun.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

I always loved Farewell to Florida and the image of the snake leaving its skin upon the floor. Whether it's just about the end of a deep but doomed relationship ("her home, not mine," a million thoughts compressed into one phrase), or more abstract as some critics say, doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-28-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:25 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The answer to the very first question (Title of thread) is yes, so far.
Yes, but it's subjective......and it's "greatest card ever auctioned", not "top selling card of all time", that would have been the better title.

Greatest Card Ever Auctioned is and was the Baltimore Ruth.

I'll wager a $1000 bucks that would beat this.

.....and it's in lesser condition. The KO.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-28-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:32 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
Agreed. Been the most sought after card since I sent in a $75.00 check mail order to Larry Fritsch in 1974. Got a Koufax Rookie and a $25.00 credit memo. Only had to pay 200 times that in 2019 for a short print, non rookie, LOLOL It wasn't short print Triple cheeseburger logo man patch autograph prizm panini sandwich metal cracked ice reflection chrome purple rainbow parallel base 1 of 1 PSA 10

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 08-28-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Yes, but it's subjective......and it's "greatest card ever auctioned", not "top selling card of all time", that would have been the better title.

Greatest Card Ever Auctioned is and was the Baltimore Ruth.

I'll wager a $1000 bucks that would beat this.

.....and it's in lesser condition. The KO.
I won't wager but yes, my answer is value based. And the only BN Ruth I could ever afford would be, possibly an NFT if one came out.
Value aside, of course I like the Ruth over the Mantle...I am a pre war guy

Last edited by Leon; 08-28-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:48 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Whoever bought this at a little over $12,000,000 made an amazing buy as a collectible or as an investment, with this provenance(Rosen Letter/SGC Flip Slab 1985 Rosen Find Finest Example SGC Slab 9.5) it was a no-brainer! Congrats.

This specific card regardless of its holder or what you think of the card is only going up in the future. I hope the new owner cherishes the card :-)

All I can say is Bravo!

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-28-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:04 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Balt ruth…t206 Wagner…thats it!
Thanks. Not being a card guy, it just took me by surprise when this card seemingly all of a sudden became the first to hit this stratospheric level. But with so many experts here not surprised at all, I guess it must have been more or less predictable. Great card, great grade, great iconic player, great hobby history and backstory, great time for the market, and there you have it. Didn't I read there are several 10s out there, what happens when the first one of those pops up in an auction?
Old 08-28-2022, 07:15 PM
Chase

Quote:

Got to love the pumpers.
Yeah his post was self-serving. Apparently his Sunday is/was not going quite as good as he stated. Happens. Hopefully Mon is better for him.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks. Not being a card guy, it just took me by surprise when this card seemingly all of a sudden became the first to hit this stratospheric level. But with so many experts here not surprised at all, I guess it must have been more or less predictable. Great card, great grade, great iconic player, great hobby history and backstory, great time for the market, and there you have it. Didn't I read there are several 10s out there, what happens when the first one of those pops up in an auction?
It would not surprise me if egos played a role in it going this high. For guys who can easily afford this even at that stratospheric level, it may have been worth the money just to win.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:04 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Yeah his post was self-serving. Apparently his Sunday is/was not going quite as good as he stated. Happens. Hopefully Mon is better for him.
The 52 Topps Mantle is very unique in the emotional connection people seem have to it. It seems like half the hobby gets triggered if you simply state "the card is a double print" or correctly state that it's not a rookie (it's, what, his third or fourth mainstream card?). These statements are undeniably 100% factually true, and are not even an assault on the card, but it ruins a lot of Sunday's. It's the only card for which people do this. Tell the T206 guys that there are many cards rarer than a Wagner and they will agree with you instead of getting pissed. Tell a Baltimore Ruth fan that the card isn't a rookie but a pre-rookie because it's not a major league card and they will agree it's a minor league card. I suspect the reason for this is that the Mantle card is not difficult or rare and there are tons of copies, so many collectors own one and are bought into the seemingly never-ending pump with a vested interest in rocketing that as high as possible. T206 Wagner owners are much fewer and don't have to go agro to defend their investment because its demand and growth was more organic instead of an investment hype train.

Fans of the T206 Wagner, the Baltimore Ruth, and other cards have never tried to claim Mr. Mint as an authority of integrity before that's for sure