NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-23-2022, 11:57 AM
Steve Birmingham

And that's just a big part of it.
I'm not aware of anything that would improve the raw hitting ability.
A 90mph fastball from a machine that's not trying to fool me is essentially invisible to me. The best I get is seeing a bit of a blurry spot halfway between me and the machine.
I suspect Gwynn could not only see a LOT more, and could choose where he made contact so the ball would more likely be in a gap instead of right to someone.

I was just pointing out that Bens idea isn't entirely insane. It hopefully isn't true.

It could just as easily be a bit of the "Boggs or Gwynn" debates popular back in the day.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:24 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

I was just pointing out that Bens idea isn't entirely insane. It hopefully isn't true.
I wasn’t commenting on your post, just stating I do not know and have not seen any evidence he did. If his average increase during the steroid era is evidence than he did, then so too is Boggs power tripling.

Whether he did or not, I’m not sure an odd personal hatred for a player is really under the umbrella of morals
Old 11-23-2022, 01:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I wasn’t commenting on your post, just stating I do not know and have not seen any evidence he did. If his average increase during the steroid era is evidence than he did, then so too is Boggs power tripling.

Whether he did or not, I’m not sure an odd personal hatred for a player is really under the umbrella of morals
Never said it was.

To be fair Wade only had that power for one year at age 29 making him at or really close to his physical peak. He didn't magically do that for 5 years in a row near the end of his career.

To make something a little clearer. I hate Tone Gwynn the ballplayer. Tony Gwynn the man outside of baseball was a great man who I respect. Silly ain't it.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:55 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Never said it was.

To be fair Wade only had that power for one year at age 29 making him at or really close to his physical peak. He didn't magically do that for 5 years in a row near the end of his career.

To make something a little clearer. I hate Tone Gwynn the ballplayer. Tony Gwynn the man outside of baseball was a great man who I respect. Silly ain't it.

I compare Boggs' big power year (weird) with that of Bert Campaneris...but not that of Brady Anderson. LOL

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-23-2022, 01:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
And that's just a big part of it.
I'm not aware of anything that would improve the raw hitting ability.
A 90mph fastball from a machine that's not trying to fool me is essentially invisible to me. The best I get is seeing a bit of a blurry spot halfway between me and the machine.
I suspect Gwynn could not only see a LOT more, and could choose where he made contact so the ball would more likely be in a gap instead of right to someone.

It could just as easily be a bit of the "Boggs or Gwynn" debates popular back in the day.
I am sure you are not someone with a lot of first hand PED knowledge so you wouldn't. At least you unlike most understand there are different types of PEDs because of your Lance Armstrong response. Most like to believe all they do is make you huge like Jose Canseco. Then they don't realize the same PED works different for everyone. Ever hear of that great MLB HR hitter Ozzie Canseco?

It is a great thing but most are so clueless with PEDs they defend their heroes from the early days by saying amphetamines are like drinking a few cups of coffee. LOL, if those cups are 5 gallons each and they downed them in less than a minute then maybe.

I have still yet to hear anything that is not completely laughable to me on why or how someone could raise their batting average 51 points over a 5 year period from age 33-37. If there is even a single batter besides Tony that did that over those same 5 years please post who it was. The era went up so there has to be others besides a ageing overweight guy right.

To go to Steve and his example of him hitting a fastball. I am willing to bet if he spent some time working in the cage he would slowly get a little better. Now if we give Steve some PEDs to increase his energy, focus, and recovery time. I would bet over the exact same time period the improvements would be on a completely different level.

This is an example of what PEDs really do. Pretend you just got done doing whatever it was that was the most physical work you have ever done in your life. You are extremely tired and at that point it is even hard to think properly. Now if on PEDs you would have done the exact same thing in half the time, wouldn't be tired at all, and still mentally sharp as a tack.

They also sure seemed to help Barry Bonds hit a baseball for a much higher average during his short stint on them. Why wouldn't they do the same for Tony?
Old 11-23-2022, 01:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I am sure you are not someone with a lot of first hand PED knowledge so you wouldn't. At least you unlike most understand there are different types of PEDs because of your Lance Armstrong response. Most like to believe all they do is make you huge like Jose Canseco. Then they don't realize the same PED works different for everyone. Ever hear of that great MLB HR hitter Ozzie Canseco?

It is a great thing but most are so clueless with PEDs they defend their heroes from the early days by saying amphetamines are like drinking a few cups of coffee. LOL, if those cups are 5 gallons each and they downed them in less than a minute then maybe.

I have still yet to hear anything that is not completely laughable to me on why or how someone could raise their batting average 51 points over a 5 year period from age 33-37. If there is even a single batter besides Tony that did that over those same 5 years please post who it was. The era went up so there has to be others besides a ageing overweight guy right.

To go to Steve and his example of him hitting a fastball. I am willing to bet if he spent some time working in the cage he would slowly get a little better. Now if we give Steve some PEDs to increase his energy, focus, and recovery time. I would bet over the exact same time period the improvements would be on a completely different level.

This is an example of what PEDs really do. Pretend you just got done doing whatever it was that was the most physical work you have ever done in your life. You are extremely tired and at that point it is even hard to think properly. Now if on PEDs you would have done the exact same thing in half the time, wouldn't be tired at all, and still mentally sharp as a tack.

They also sure seemed to help Barry Bonds hit a baseball for a much higher average during his short stint on them. Why wouldn't they do the same for Tony?
They could do the same for Tony Gwynn. 1) Is there any evidence that Gwynn did in fact use steroids? 2) What does this have to do with morals, if other players use does not stop one from collecting them?
Old 11-30-2022, 07:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

I do have minor firsthand experience with two drugs classed as PEDs, Ritalin and .... amphetamines! (adderall)
To the point that when my ADD doc asked about how the new dose went, I told her it made me feel like a Ballplayer. Then had to explain about 70's baseball and "greenies" -The capsule for that dose was in fact green.

A small dose of either isn't like a cup of coffee. And it's qualitatively different from 8 cups of coffee which was my normal work morning before treatment. (day 1 with a tiny bit of ritalin plus the usual 8 cups..... Yikes. They could have warned me. I did get a TON of work done that day. )
Both for me had a sort of diminishing effect over time.

I don't have access to a 90mph cage anymore, and haven't since the 80's but I can say that the "fast" cages still give me a lot of trouble. Those I think are around 70?
I don't know if "seeing" hours of 90mph pitches daily would help me see the ball better, but I have doubts. The problem wasn't the timing, but literally not having any idea where the ball was.

ADD and focus is a weird thing. Accelerants make focus easier and much sharper in general. And adrenaline is exactly that. things that are even mildly exciting, like getting to see a 90mph pitch. Actually help focus. (at least for me, for someone with more distractibility it may have less effect) One of the books I read said that a lot of first responders, EMTs etc have it, and ended up in professions where that adrenaline driven focus meant they could be very good.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This thread was moved from the watercooler section.
Players I won't collect? Not sure of any, haven't given it a ton of thought yet.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:54 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
I do have minor firsthand experience with two drugs classed as PEDs, Ritalin and .... amphetamines! (adderall)
To the point that when my ADD doc asked about how the new dose went, I told her it made me feel like a Ballplayer. Then had to explain about 70's baseball and "greenies" -The capsule for that dose was in fact green.

A small dose of either isn't like a cup of coffee. And it's qualitatively different from 8 cups of coffee which was my normal work morning before treatment. (day 1 with a tiny bit of ritalin plus the usual 8 cups..... Yikes. They could have warned me. I did get a TON of work done that day. )

I don't have access to a 90mph cage anymore, and haven't since the 80's but I can say that the "fast" cages still give me a lot of trouble. Those I think are around 70?
I don't know if "seeing" hours of 90mph pitches daily would help me see the ball better, but I have doubts. The problem wasn't the timing, but literally not having any idea where the ball was.

ADD and focus is a weird thing. Accelerants make focus easier and much sharper in general. And adrenaline is exactly that. things that are even mildly exciting, like getting to see a 90mph pitch. Actually help focus. (at least for me, for someone with more distractibility it may have less effect) One of the books I read said that a lot of first responders, EMTs etc have it, and ended up in professions where that adrenaline driven focus meant they could be very good.
Insightful - thanks for sharing. The power of the human brain is still a mystery despite the power of the human brain.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:53 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:

Insightful - thanks for sharing. The power of the human brain is still a mystery despite the power of the human brain.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:21 AM
Brian

Quote:

One of the first times I have seen someone win a PED debate. Great explanation!

They work for all areas of the game.

The biggest hurdle in defeating the use of PED's is because they work.

As for someone like Gwynn, someone explained above that if you hit more fly balls, then PED will have them go further and turn into more HR. If you hit more ground balls then PED use will have them hit harder and turn them into more singles/doubles. It isn't just about power. Hitting a ground ball at 90 MPH up the middle may or may not get caught by a SS. Hitting that same ball at 98 MPH will increase the chances that it will not get caught.

PED use allows you to increase your bat speed. Increased bat speed gives you a hair longer to see a pitch. Increased bat speed means the ball comes off the bat with more velocity. Those aspects most certainly can help a batting average.

Whether Gwynn did them or not I don't know.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 11-30-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:36 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I was on the sidelines for a long time trying to decide whether to buy any cards of the disreputable Hal Chase, but finally pulled the trigger on his T205 left ear shows, which i think is just a beautiful card. As Peter rightly says, "stuff trumps all".
Old 11-30-2022, 11:43 AM
Brian

Also want to add to the point above that if someone like Gwynn is not an avid weightlifter ands takes PED, it does not mean he isn't doing resistance training. Swinging a bat is resistance training. Running is resistance training. Of course calisthenics are too. They may not make your body explode in muscle mass like a more efficient weight training program, but they are going to make your muscles increase their capabilities at what they are doing.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:44 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

If the person is in a set, they get collected within the set. I really only collect one player over and above a set and that is Frank Howard. I am reasonably sure I am in safe territory here.

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I guess what it is for me is whether the character distracts from the item. I can't see a Michael Jackson item w/o thinking "pedo", so I am not interested in having one of his cards. I have a Woody Allen autograph and there is an 'ick' factor every time I look at it. I also stopped looking for a Bill Cosby signature for my comedians collection, though if I could get it on a roofie box...maybe.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-30-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I guess what it is for me is whether the character distracts from the item. I can't see a Michael Jackson item w/o thinking "pedo", so I am not interested in having one of his cards. I have a Woody Allen autograph and there is an 'ick' factor every time I look at it. I also stopped looking for a Bill Cosby signature for my comedians collection, though if I could get it on a roofie box...maybe.
Great thread. I am glad it was moved from water cooler (where I almost never go). Adam, I agree with you 100%. I collect signed entertainment memorabilia (here is my fully signed Led Zeppelin IV album). I will not buy a Michael jackson signature. He molested children. I hate that his songs are still played on the radio and there is a smash Broadway play about him currently selling out night by night. We are so quick to cancel people for much lesser crimes/indiscretions. This piece of shit prayed on children and life goes on in popular culture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2CC19FA5-0FA2-41F1-93B8-8109C2CB02AC.jpg (158.5 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-30-2022 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Remove politics reference
Old 11-30-2022, 12:01 PM
Rick J.

I relish the history of the game and accept a lot of the conflict that has been seen over the generations. I love that I learn and even contemplate life when I look back upon some people that clearly have or had values that were different than mine. I would rather discuss some of the stains that our (fallen) heroes have had than to completely erase them. I can separate my childhood admiration for a phenomenal football player like OJ Simpson and the decisions that he made later in life which appear horrific. I look at Cap Anson and I appreciate the baseball player but am saddened and contemplate what might cause someone to hate others for no reason other than the color of their skin.

Baseball is a microcosm of life itself. Many of these players were put into the spotlight at a very young age because of their athleticism. Hopefully many of them learned things over the course of life like the rest of us have tried to do.

With all this being said I have no interest in collecting new cards of any athlete that thinks he or she can preach to society because they are a phenomenal athlete. Being the greatest basketball player of a given generation, does not make that players political, societal, religious etc. views important to me. I would rather listen to a group of men and women in a nursing home share their wisdom than to hear it from an entitled athlete, movie star, politician etc.

Rick Johnson
Old 11-30-2022, 01:08 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I can’t imagine making up a scenario in my mind that causes me to hate someone or something so much that I wouldn’t communicate with a friend about that thing.

That’s beyond weird.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:11 PM
J@mes In.gram

You all will remember my Hal Chase story, and how I was thoroughly vilified. Nevertheless, when it comes to Chase, "For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-30-2022, 01:23 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

This is a fascinating thread. I don't have any specific players in my baseball collection that I specifically exclude. The people I find objectionable (Cap Anson, Josh Hamilton, Gregg Zaun, etc) played in eras I don't collect.

In a previous lifetime, when I collected hockey I refused to buy Bobby Hull singles. If I was building a set that needed one, I'd go out of my way to make his the ugliest, most beat up card I could find. It was a petty level of disrespect for a player I felt deserved it.

Last edited by skelly423; 11-30-2022 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-30-2022, 01:49 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

None for me. I don't like to judge people of the past through today's moral compass lens, even if I don't agree with their actions. What societal norms of today will be looked upon harshly in 100 years?