NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2014, 06:57 AM

Default New to tobacco - Old Judge question

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to tobacco cards, and very new to pre-1900 cards. I have the opportunity to buy a large lot of pre-1900 cards, most of which are non-sport and appear not to be worth much (Kinney Bros. riders, soldiers, etc), but the lot does contain two Old Judge baseball cards. The first I was able to track down relatively easily. It's the second that has me puzzled:

http://imgur.com/TMF8cMq

As far as I can tell, there are three variations of Daniel Shannon - Louisville, Omaha, and Philadelphia PL. This one is Philadelphia PL. I can't find any on Worthpoint or on ebay, and I can't find images on any sites. I was able to find an image of a Philadelphia PL one on the Met website:

http://metmuseum.org/collection/the-.../search/402653

Is there a reason I can't find an image of mine anywhere?

Any education you can give me on the subject would be helpful - like I said I'm very new to all of this.

David

Last edited by polakoff; 05-20-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The one with the PL on it is a Players League card and will be very rare and quite valuable. We have quite a few Old Judge experts on the board and hopefully they will chime in about specifics. I am a jack of all trades and master of none. But we have lots of masters on the board. Good luck!!

and welcome to the forum too!!

Last edited by Leon; 05-20-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:29 AM

Thanks Leon!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Barry Sloate

You might find yourself bombarded with emails for the Shannon card. Good luck with it.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
You might find yourself bombarded with emails for the Shannon card. Good luck with it.
I know he has at least several PMs... ......
Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM

I should make it clear, I don't own it yet. Still working on it.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 AM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard and congrats on the find!
you've made quite a splash already!
all the best,
barry
Old 05-20-2014, 11:04 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

David--hi, and welcome to the board. My name is Jay Miller. I am one of the authors of the Old Judge book. Joe Gonsowski, another author, may also jump in later. As previously mentioned, the Shannon card is an 1890 Players League card. These cards are scarce. The card you have posted an image of has nice clarity, which many times is not the case with 1890 cards. If I were going to guess I would say it is probably worth about $2000. If you have further questions you can email me at oldjudge@gmail.com

Jay
Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Joe Gonsowski

David, thanks for sharing/referencing some nice Shannon PL cards. I agree with the responses but would note that Shannon seems to show up a bit more frequently than many other PL cards due in part to having 3 different PL poses. I would think a $2000 price would be healthy (high side) although as noted it is amongst the nicer copies to surface. Good luck acquiring this collection if that is your desire.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers