NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2020, 09:06 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Laurel: "Three million dollars! Is that as much as a thousand?"
Hardy: "Why, man alive! It's TWICE as much!"

Last edited by drcy; 01-26-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
An EX tobacco card used to be the prize of a collection.
It still is over an 8 or 9 that you know has been altered to get in that slab.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:59 AM
Jay Cee

Not to mention, how many times an altered card gets submitted for grading. With the quest for PSAs coveted blessing, the pop of graded cards is going through the roof!
Old 01-26-2020, 12:41 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Regarding the term "Billion Dollar Fraud"... there is more to it than just the altered cards themselves. Sure the cards alone could exceed a billion some day, if only 1 - 2% of the fraud has been uncovered to date. It is very difficult to research and expose these cards, since eBay hides identities and thus protects criminals. So God only knows how many more have yet to be revealed.

That said, there are other factors that contribute to the $1 Billion number...

Massive cumulative Ebay fees taken in on the altered cards
Buyers and Sellers commissions received by auction houses
PSA fees for grading and continually re-grading altered cards

So the tangential beneficiaries in the scam are eBay, auction houses, dealers and especially the profit-based "turn a blind eye" TPGs. All of these beneficiaries are in addition to the owners of these tainted cards. With all of this related "income" factored in, I am confident it will eventually exceed the Billion Dollar mark.

That is, unless the FBI can put a stop to it, make the appropriate arrests, and shut down the guilty parties. Since the bulk of collectors don't seen to even know or care, Law Enforcement seems to be our only hope to stop short of the Billion.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-26-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:32 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Dont forget PSA and their "inner circle" of passing these cards.

Cu has a market cap of 10 billion.

A 10 billion dollar fraud, say it with me now....

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Regarding the term "Billion Dollar Fraud"... there is more to it than just the altered cards themselves. Sure the cards alone could exceed a billion some day, if only 1 - 2% of the fraud has been uncovered to date. It is very difficult to research and expose these cards, since eBay hides identities and thus protects criminals. So God only knows how many more have yet to be revealed.

That said, there are other factors that contribute to the $1 Billion number...

Massive cumulative Ebay fees taken in on the altered cards
Buyers and Sellers commissions received by auction houses
PSA fees for grading and continually re-grading altered cards

So the tangential beneficiaries in the scam are eBay, auction houses, dealers and especially the profit-based "turn a blind eye" TPGs. All of these beneficiaries are in addition to the owners of these tainted cards. With all of this related "income" factored in, I am confident it will eventually exceed the Billion Dollar mark.

That is, unless the FBI can put a stop to it, make the appropriate arrests, and shut down the guilty parties. Since the bulk of collectors don't seen to even know or care, Law Enforcement seems to be our only hope to stop short of the Billion.
Agee Mark with all of this PLUS since the end of 2013 I can’t explain these stupid numbers by certain auctions I would Say Manipulation Of Sales....how many were allegedly shilled and or not paid for and re listed ??
Old 01-26-2020, 02:11 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Dont forget PSA and their "inner circle" of passing these cards.

Cu has a market cap of 10 billion.

A 10 billion dollar fraud, say it with me now....
Thanks for making me grin during this difficult time Ted.
Let's just say Multi-Billion up to 10 bil.

Hard to even try and make a joke today after the Kobe news.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:20 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Personally I think the 1B number is ridiculous. PSA is only a 75mm company, and more then half of that from coins. Cards, I think 30mm or so. I suspect BGS is much smaller.

It is however hard to swag this thing, but what we know is BO has found 5-10MM in value lift between all sports. And they only have access to a minuscule amount of data - only a fraction of only sales can be worked and most raw, card show, private, set, lot, etc cards are untraceable.

So this thing is clearly wide ranging and the number is big. But the guys hyperventilating about 1b need to chill out a bit or show how the math works on that number.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:14 PM
Br1an N0Iff

At the end of the day it shouldn’t matter if it’s $100 or 1 billion dollars in fraud. It’s criminally, morally, and ethically wrong.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:35 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

One trillion
Old 01-26-2020, 10:57 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Start with the Gretzky Wagner card - that card has been sold and re-sold multiple times for millions of dollars. That's a pretty good head start towards a billion.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:21 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Start with the Gretzky Wagner card - that card has been sold and re-sold multiple times for millions of dollars. That's a pretty good head start towards a billion.
The folks who bought that card then sold it for a profit didn't suffer any loss from the trim job.

When prices for doctored cards with high grades are increasing, the people who bought and sold them, generally, are not suffering financial loss. The full impact of the fraud won't be felt unless/until the value of the doctored/overgraded cards collapse.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:55 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Personally I think the 1B number is ridiculous. PSA is only a 75mm company, and more then half of that from coins. Cards, I think 30mm or so. I suspect BGS is much smaller.

It is however hard to swag this thing, but what we know is BO has found 5-10MM in value lift between all sports. And they only have access to a minuscule amount of data - only a fraction of only sales can be worked and most raw, card show, private, set, lot, etc cards are untraceable.

So this thing is clearly wide ranging and the number is big. But the guys hyperventilating about 1b need to chill out a bit or show how the math works on that number.
????

First, they've graded or authenticated over 30 million pieces. If it's an average price of $20 per that's $600 million.

Second, what on earth does that have to do with the dollar value of the scandal? If they grade a card that should be worth $500,000 and give it a grade that results in it being worth $10 million, do you think the fraud is just the cost of grading???!!!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-27-2020, 06:57 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
The folks who bought that card then sold it for a profit didn't suffer any loss from the trim job.

When prices for doctored cards with high grades are increasing, the people who bought and sold them, generally, are not suffering financial loss. The full impact of the fraud won't be felt unless/until the value of the doctored/overgraded cards collapse.
Really good point and a different angle to consider.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:56 AM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
????

First, they've graded or authenticated over 30 million pieces. If it's an average price of $20 per that's $600 million.

Second, what on earth does that have to do with the dollar value of the scandal? If they grade a card that should be worth $500,000 and give it a grade that results in it being worth $10 million, do you think the fraud is just the cost of grading???!!!
Relax, it was just one data point. 30mm per annum is their aprox gross rev from card grading. PWCC is maybe a 5mm company. The hobby is not as big as some of you believe.

But, if you have the math on 1b in fraud lets see it. That number is being thrown around as fact. I think folks are over estimating the size

And in case anyone is confused I think this thing is big, real big. I won’t be submitting or collecting graded cards, it’s very clearly a racket that skews towards large submitters and dirt bags. I just don’t think it’s helpful to throw around numbers like 1b or hyper ventilate like Chuck does every day here.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:54 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I just look at all this as more reason to stick to nicely presenting mid-grade cards.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
A 1965 Topps Koufax is not a waterfront card and nor is a 1968 Willie Mays card.

If you don't know what a waterfront card is, then search some past threads on this site where collectors discuss them.

The only waterfront card I remember seeing that was trimmed was a 1958 Topps Bobby Hull rookie. I remember the 1952 Topps Mantle as well, but I don't believe that one was trimmed. I think the corners got pressed down or something like that. And then there was that Cracker Jack Joe Jackson which was soaked - that was a bad one too. Otherwise, I have no interest in reading through thousands of pages discussing crappy cards.
Well, thank goodness the elitists don't have to worry about their cards being altered

Maybe there's another forum that keeps us riff raff out? Like maybe over at CU?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:05 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
I just look at all this as more reason to stick to nicely presenting mid-grade cards.
You mean like 3's that have been doctored into 5's?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:28 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
You mean like 3's that have been doctored into 5's?
I think it's more easier to turn a 6 into an 8 compared to turning a 3 into a 5. Most 3s out there are crap - corner wear, creasing, etc. Hard to turn that into a 5.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:39 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
There are tons of them. I just did a quick browse of one of the blowout threads...
Is that all you could come up with in a short time? Sheeesh.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:30 PM
Dan Marke1

Reading through the Blowout link, the person of topic actually posted on Net54 regarding his position (or better put: denials) on trimming.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...6&postcount=11

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 01-27-2020, 01:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

What would PSA's CEO say?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-27-2020, 01:31 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I have been collecting for a long time and I have never heard the term "waterfront" in regard to sports cards.
That term was used on net54 years ago..
Old 01-27-2020, 02:08 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

When I think back on the waterfront cards I let get away over the years, all I can say is...

I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I could've been somebody... instead of a bum, which is what I am – let's face it.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:12 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:

A fair point. Is victimless fraud still fraud? I would say yes.

At the very least, the current owner is a victim even if he doesn't consider himself such.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:43 PM

Pardon me, but PSA - what does the "P" stand for ?
Old 01-27-2020, 03:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Preferential

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-27-2020, 06:45 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Phraudulent.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:06 PM
Bill Gregory

Before I go throw up, anybody want to end this craziness, and just give us a working definition of "waterfront"? I've been here a while, and have never heard of the term, either. And a quick search of the term on Google and our forum yields several results, but no definition. Or, is this an ongoing inside joke, like Snipe hunting?

It seems, on first glance, to refer to ultra in demand cards in highest condition. That would make sense, as oceanfront property is typically the creme de la creme. Just looking back at the last 50 some years, this would include the Joe Namath '65 Topps rookie, a '79 Wayne Gretzky rookie (the Canadian Oh-Pee-Chee issue), the '86 Fleer Michael Jordan, whatever the most in demand rookie card for Tom Brady would be-maybe the 2000 Playoff Contenders with the on card certified auto. That's one I saw a lot when I started prospecting. What else? The Jeter '93 Upper Deck SP foil card in prime condition goes for a ridiculous amount. I expect the 2009 Mike Trout Bowman Chrome certified auto moves into that category, eventually. I feel like such an idiot having sold mine, but medical bills don't allow one to be sentimental. Going back a bit further, the '52 Topps Mantle and Mays obviously. '54 Topps rookie for Aaron, '55 for Clemente. The '48 Leaf Jackie Robinson rookie. '51 Parkhurst Gordie Howe, whatever Bobby Orr's rookie might be. '58 Topps Jim Brown, '57 Topps Starr and Unitas.

What else?

If we go back to the era(s) we all love and collect, we're looking at the E90-1 American Caramel Shoeless Joe Jackson, the Wagner T206, the '33 Goudey Lajoie, the '39 Play Ball Ted Williams. Ruth's rookie (I forget, the '16 Famous & Barr?), various Cobb T206 cards, portraits as well as on/off shoulder varieties, the Walter Johnson portrait, '35 National Chicle Nagurski, Ruth and Gehrig Goudey cards, the Cracker Jack issues of Christy Matthewson, Johnson, Jackson-especially the '14 releases which are ultra condition sensitive.

Somebody just clarify for us, please.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:08 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Professional Sports Authenticator.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:53 PM
Eric Bea.chley

You are not the only one who hasn’t heard the term waterfront. But then again I d only been collecting for 1/2 my life and on this Board for over 10 years.

It may have to do with soaking a card. But context seems off. Certainly not a commonly used term.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:05 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Just remember that for some waterfront = van down by the river
Old 01-27-2020, 10:00 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Before I go throw up, anybody want to end this craziness, and just give us a working definition of "waterfront"? I've been here a while, and have never heard of the term, either. And a quick search of the term on Google and our forum yields several results, but no definition. Or, is this an ongoing inside joke, like Snipe hunting?

What else?

Somebody just clarify for us, please.
I would think there are waterfront and there are waterfront. The ruth rookie etc is not something most of the community can afford or even afford to invest in but i i think a 10k card many more can, i would define a waterfront card as a card many people have had in their collection or a chance to get at one time or another....i know i never had a chance to get an T206 wagner but i did on some goudey ruth's etc.

.this was a quote i had about the green cobb being a waterfront card..

Default PWCC green cobb psa 5.5 going through the roof
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...4AAOSw9mFWMm5z

bidding over $14,000 which has to be way over SMR... when I had two PSA 4s nicely centered Green cobbs..all I would hear about is SMR this and SMR that....

the waterfront properties really taking off...!
Old 01-27-2020, 11:28 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
A fair point. Is victimless fraud still fraud? I would say yes.

At the very least, the current owner is a victim even if he doesn't consider himself such.
If someone buys a doctored card as an investment, doesn't know it is doctored, and sells it for a tidy profit, he/she is not a victim. If the person who buys it is happy with the card and also sells it for a profit, they are not a victim. There is definitely potential for some future owner of the card to become a victim, but that won't occur unless and until the doctoring of that card (asset) causes its market value to drop.

If I buy a nice looking T205 that looks a little narrow and may be trimmed, but I am happy with the card at the price I pay for it, I am also not a victim. This has, in fact, happened to me fairly recently.

The victimization of America................ To be a victim one must actually have something negative happen to them.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:13 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
If someone buys a doctored card as an investment, doesn't know it is doctored, and sells it for a tidy profit, he/she is not a victim. If the person who buys it is happy with the card and also sells it for a profit, they are not a victim. There is definitely potential for some future owner of the card to become a victim, but that won't occur unless and until the doctoring of that card (asset) causes its market value to drop.

If I buy a nice looking T205 that looks a little narrow and may be trimmed, but I am happy with the card at the price I pay for it, I am also not a victim. This has, in fact, happened to me fairly recently.

The victimization of America................ To be a victim one must actually have something negative happen to them.
Yet even in this example the profit made is almost certainly going to be less than what it would have been without the fraud being exposed.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:20 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Yet even in this example the profit made is almost certainly going to be less than what it would have been without the fraud being exposed.
I'll bet in the vast majority of cases, the fraud has not been exposed to the people buying these cards.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:34 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
You’re going to be eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!
Old 01-28-2020, 06:51 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
That is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
You’re going to be eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!
Government cheese used to be good, now it is that horrible fake stuff.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

One time I actually bought imitation fake cheese. Just don't do it. All I know is; it was a yellowish substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is hilarious.

Government cheese used to be good, now it is that horrible fake stuff.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:51 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
I'll bet in the vast majority of cases, the fraud has not been exposed to the people buying these cards.
True, but a drop in overall pricing would likely affect comparable sales.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:15 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

To me this is a ridiculous way of looking at it.
As long as everyone profits off something that isn't as it's claimed, it's ok?

So by extension if I get a counterfeit 20, and pass it along that's ok too.
If I paint some rocks with gold paint, and say they're gold nuggets it's fine as long as the buyer can find another sucker?

Rubbish!
Old 01-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
How can you know that they didn't lose out on more profit? Every educated collector knows the "trim" story.

Just because it was sold for a profit doesn't mean they "didn't suffer any loss from the trim job".
Old 01-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
One time I actually bought imitation fake cheese. Just don't do it. All I know is; it was a yellowish substance.
Does "imitation fake cheese" mean it's actually real cheese?
Old 01-28-2020, 01:51 PM
Eric S.

Fascinating! Back in 2015, this guy tossed a bunch of 1958 Topps out on eBay that were freshly PSA graded and all were 8 or better. Close inspection of the cards revealed that 90% of them had flaws that would in my humble opinon have made them at best 7s or even lower. I wrote they guy a note and told him I thought he was peddling a bunch of PSA overgrades and he sent me back a berating note.
It all makes so much more sense now......!!

Successful transactions with ecRich, HTBB, MPeich, Pencil1974, JLoewke, Darkhorse9, Therajah, eb548, Cards 2121, etc.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:45 PM
Jay Cee

Just looked at his current eBay store. Has 100 percent feedback and many high end PSA graded items.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?ssPa...herock&_sop=16
Old 01-28-2020, 02:51 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Just looked at his current eBay store. Has 100 percent feedback and many high end PSA graded items.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?ssPa...herock&_sop=16
eBay feedback means absolutely nothing.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:28 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
eBay feedback means absolutely nothing.
Agreed +1
Old 01-28-2020, 04:42 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I would think there are waterfront and there are waterfront. The ruth rookie etc is not something most of the community can afford or even afford to invest in but i i think a 10k card many more can, i would define a waterfront card as a card many people have had in their collection or a chance to get at one time or another....i know i never had a chance to get an T206 wagner but i did on some goudey ruth's etc.

.this was a quote i had about the green cobb being a waterfront card..

Default PWCC green cobb psa 5.5 going through the roof
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...4AAOSw9mFWMm5z

bidding over $14,000 which has to be way over SMR... when I had two PSA 4s nicely centered Green cobbs..all I would hear about is SMR this and SMR that....

the waterfront properties really taking off...!
Always got an answer don't you?

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-28-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:32 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Did anyone see this new one Discovered On Blowout
BODA has done amazing forensics work

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1349101

Will REA have to Buy Back and Sue PSA for Damages or will Newport Beach Buy Back? Or Make The Consignor Buy it Back

PSA is TEFLON WATCH THEM GET AWAY LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-28-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:34 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
To me this is a ridiculous way of looking at it.
As long as everyone profits off something that isn't as it's claimed, it's ok?

So by extension if I get a counterfeit 20, and pass it along that's ok too.
If I paint some rocks with gold paint, and say they're gold nuggets it's fine as long as the buyer can find another sucker?

Rubbish!
No, fraud isn't okay. I didn't say it was (obviously.)