NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2020, 07:04 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default Had enough of this billion dollar fraud? Do what this guy did.

I know that I am sickened by the news I hear every day on how our cards have been altered, etc.

We all should have done what this guy did back in 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Y4bmbh1KY

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 01-29-2020, 07:22 AM

That was a fun watch of an expensive watch!
Old 01-29-2020, 07:22 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Good watch! Good for that guy!
Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Spend a month’s salary on something and be too scared to enjoy it? No thanks
Old 01-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Ben North

Cool story, personally I would have worn it.

Buying Rolex watches is more sketchy than buying high end cards in PSA slabs.

Last edited by bnorth; 01-29-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:07 AM

When that first edition box of Pokemon cards sold for 60K I wanted to die. I opened up more than a few when I was a kid and all I did with the cards was throw them away when I got to high school.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:16 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Good for him, I'd put it in an auction immediately
Old 01-29-2020, 08:19 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I know that I am sickened by the news I hear every day on how our cards have been altered, etc.

We all should have done what this guy did back in 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Y4bmbh1KY
the thought has crossed my mind to buy a Rolex submariner recently even though I don't wear watches anymore.

I cheaped out when i graduated college and bought a Joe Montana Concord mariner instead. It's worth less than the 1800 I paid in 1984. It was between that an the rolex which was 500 more. Now I have to pay 30K for the one I want

Much like my $75.00 1952 Mickey Mantle that never came in 1975, I had to replace it for 15K....OUCH

Replacing dreams are really expensive.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:36 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
the thought has crossed my mind to buy a Rolex submariner recently even though I don't wear watches anymore.

I cheaped out when i graduated college and bought a Joe Montana Concord mariner instead. It's worth less than the 1800 I paid in 1984. It was between that an the rolex which was 500 more. Now I have to pay 30K for the one I want

Much like my $75.00 1952 Mickey Mantle that never came in 1975, I had to replace it for 15K....OUCH

Yes, replacing dreams are expensive today. But today's dreams may be tomorrow's fortunes.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 01-29-2020, 08:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I bought my stainless and gold Rolex 30 yrs ago, used for 2k. Today it is worth about that much. Not that bad of a buy for 30 yrs of use (and counting) for free. I still like to wear my watch. But then again I still have a landline too.

Quote:

Old 01-29-2020, 09:00 AM
Ben North

Quote:

Buy the watch Chuck, nothing wrong with man jewelry.

I wear a Rolex no-date submariner everyday and actually use the manual timer on it all the time. Way easier to turn the bezel than use the timer on my phone.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Buy the watch Chuck, nothing wrong with man jewelry.

I wear a Rolex no-date submariner everyday and actually use the manual timer on it all the time. Way easier to turn the bezel than use the timer on my phone.
I am with you Ben
Rolex stainless Submariner with date. My everyday watch for almost 12 years. Love it. Classic design. Has appreciated in value but it isn't going anywhere. I love watches. The intricacies are incredible. Such craftsmanship. I hate the smartwatch that i have unless I need a heart rate monitor, then it works ok.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:01 AM

Occasionally, I will wear my Dad's Enicar Sherpagraph Chronograph, a magnificent stainless watch produced in the late 1950s. That beauty sports the three little dials of hours, minutes, and seconds. All symmetrically arranged, it is a joy to gaze at every time. Only the finer watches offered something that exotic, several decades before the feature became commonplace. To be sure, a fine men's watch is a timeless piece of jewelry. --- Brian Powell
Old 01-29-2020, 11:04 AM
pete ullman

Cool Story!!!!! I love the roadshow! And some Rolexes and other watches have proven to be excellent investments over the years!

I treated myself to an older rolex explorer II when the new...larger models came out. I liked the 40mm as compared to the newer larger model as well as understated look on the older one. The explorer II has the same movement as the much more expensive GMT...additionally I chose a late run model with the parachrom spring and the slightly newer 3186 movement.

Mine has appreciated more than 50% since purchase...but more importantly I love wearing it!!!
Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 PM
Fr@nk H.0r.v@th

Cool watch and story. Thanks for posting.

CAMNITZ HAH BACK RUN PROJECT:

T206 Camnitz (HAH) AB 460 / SC Fact 25 and OP / EPDG (Upgrade Needed)

T206 Magee Portrait
T206 Walsh
T206 Joss Portrait
T206 Red Cobb
T206 Shag
T206 E Collins
Old 01-30-2020, 03:21 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Saw this on the News last nite but only about 30 seconds of it.

So happy for this guy - He ended up doing back in 71 what I was 4 years to young to have to do. By 1975 when I turned 18 the war had about wound down and I was classified in the draft as "Student" - so never ended up getting drafted.

Good for him - Great Story & Post!
Old 01-30-2020, 04:07 AM
Glyn Parson

Yeah because there is zero fraud in the Rolex market. Some of you guys say some funny shit sometimes.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Did anyone catch the boxing cards segment of that show. The moron passing for an expert (Grant Zahalko?) didn’t know the basics about the cards themselves (he labeled a basic Dana PC of Jeffries as a one of a kind item) and estimated them at several times actual value. Please show me where I can sell my Jack Johnson PCs for a thousand bucks each and definitely where I can get $500 for a Dana Jim Jeffries: it ain’t planet earth.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-30-2020, 07:33 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Yeah because there is zero fraud in the Rolex market. Some of you guys say some funny shit sometimes.
I covered that in post #5. I noted they are sketchier than buying a PSA graded card.

With buying either you have to do a ton of research and inspect carefully in hand while having a LOT of knowledge. Still there is a good chance with either there is fraud going on.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:19 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Had enough of this billion dollar fraud? Do what this guy did.

I have an Apple Watch, but my other go-to timepiece is my Dad’s 1969 Bulova Accutron 218 Spaceview. It was the watch on his wrist the day he married my Mom, and was a high school graduation present to me. The perpetual sweep second hand is the result of a tuning fork movement, which at least at the time when they came out - was supposedly the most accurate watch in the world. The Accutron movements were the panel clocks in Apollo spacecraft modules. Vintage cards and vintage watches...oy, I did not inherit a love for cheap things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-30-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

LOL....I am a self proclaimed cheap bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I have an Apple Watch, but my other go-to timepiece is my Dad’s 1969 Bulova Accutron 218 Spaceview. It was the watch on his wrist the day he married my Mom, and was a high school graduation present to me. The perpetual sweep second hand is the result of a tuning fork movement, which at least at the time when they came out - was supposedly the most accurate watch in the world. The Accutron movements were the panel clocks in Apollo spacecraft modules. Vintage cards and vintage watches...oy, I did not inherit a love for cheap things.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Did anyone catch the boxing cards segment of that show. The moron passing for an expert (Grant Zahalko?) didn’t know the basics about the cards themselves (he labeled a basic Dana PC of Jeffries as a one of a kind item) and estimated them at several times actual value. Please show me where I can sell my Jack Johnson PCs for a thousand bucks each and definitely where I can get $500 for a Dana Jim Jeffries: it ain’t planet earth.
Zahajko, he runs sports auctions, but doesn't really specialize in them. Guys who actually know boxing are few and far between! I know more than most and I don't know a ton.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 02-02-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Zahajko, he runs sports auctions, but doesn't really specialize in them. Guys who actually know boxing are few and far between! I know more than most and I don't know a ton.
And yet they put them on TV to misinform the public. That poor guy who has the cards, he is going to be so disappointed when he tries to sell them.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-05-2020, 06:21 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
LOL....I am a self proclaimed cheap bastard

Uh, I’ve seen some of the cards you own...