NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2015, 03:34 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Default E92 confirmed lists for difficult backs

Looking to assemble a list of confirmed E92 cards with difficult backs, can anyone add any more to the lists I have?

Red Crofts Candy
- Barry x2 - SGC A, SGC 10
- Bender (stripped cap) - raw
- Bemis x2 - SGC A, CSG 1
- Bescher x3 - SGC 50, SGC A, raw
- Cobb - rumored but I have not seen an image
- Crawford x2 - SGC 20, SGC 10
- Devlin - CSG 2
- Donovan - SGC 10
- Davis x3 - SGC 60, SGC 50, SGC 30 (Lionel Carter)
- Evers - SGC 80
- Miller (fielding) x3 - raw, SGC 40, PSA A
- Shean - SGC 10 with red crofts overprint

Menagerie
- Bemis
- Kleinow - raw (poor)
- Lobert - SGC A
- McGraw - SGC 30
- Murphy - SGC 30
- Shean - BVG 1
- Wagner (batting) - SGC 40

Blank Back
- Chase x5 - SGC A, SGC 20, SGC 30, SGC 40, PSA 7
- Crawford - raw poor
- Davis - PSA A
- Dougherty - SGC 40
- Gibson - Unknown
- Kleinow - SGC 3.5
- Knight - raw
- Lajoie - SGC A
- Magee - SGC 1
- Mathewson - SGC 1.5
- McGraw x2 - was SGC 10 now raw (with cocoa overprint on front), SGC 40, SGC 60
- McLean - SGC 10
- Miller (fielding) x2 - SGC 30, raw
- Schlei - SGC 40
- Seigle - SGC 10
- Smith - SGC 40
- Tinker - SGC 40 (Goodwin - no scan)
- Wagner (throwing) - SGC40 (possibly 2, but they appear to be the same card with different cert numbers, cards have obvious diamond cut), PSA 3 (different than the SGC copies, normal cut)
- Zimmerman - BVG Authentic

Prizefighters
- Magee - SGC 40
- Young - SGC 30
- E8 U.S.S. Connecticut
- E8 U.S.S. Pennsylvania (Added 5/14/23)

Nadjas that still need to be confirmed
- Bescher
- Cobb (rumored, but has anyone actually seen the card?)
- Donovan - 1 is posted on the PSA pop report, but I don't trust PSA enough to cross it off the list without seeing it.
- Doyle (with bat)
- Zimmerman

Blue Crofts that still need to be confirmed
- Bender (white cap)
- Bergen
- Cobb
- Donovan
- Doyle (throwing)
- Gibson
- Lajoie
- Magee
- Matthewson
- Miller (batting)
- Murphy
- Schlei
- Seigle
- Smith
- Tinker
- Zimmerman

Thanks
DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers

Last edited by x2drich2000; 05-14-2023 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice list DJ. I wish I could help . Here is something to throw out there though. I remember the E92 Miller Fielding discussion and believe there were some background and/or shading differences with that pose in other series, which is how they are differentiated. I assume it is the same shading differences (to their e92 counterparts) which has these labeled as E101 and E102 respectively?

I personally think we will find several more, different players of all of the backs mentioned above. It's only a matter of time. *The scans aren't to size and are at least caramel with wrong backs........

Old 06-13-2015, 05:11 PM
pete ullman

There is an E 90–1 background variation...but I do not know of any variations within the 92.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:34 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Leon, i forgot about the prize fighter backs and haven't tried to put a list of those together yet. As Pete stated, i believe from the Miller thread it was believed that the no sunset variation was limited to only e90-1. I am not aware of any variation in either the Young or Magee within the e92/e101/e102/e105 family of sets. I believe SGC likely just labeled those based on whatever the submitter wrote down. Same with the blank backs, i don't think there is a way to differentiate which set those came from (except the freaky McGraw that showed up earlier this month). One other point i would make is that we know the e92 quality control was not very good based on the number of miscuts that have shown up, but i don't recall ever seeing a miscut or other issue that are definitely from any other series.

Dj
Old 06-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Leon, i forgot about the prize fighter backs and haven't tried to put a list of those together yet. As Pete stated, i believe from the Miller thread it was believed that the no sunset variation was limited to only e90-1. I am not aware of any variation in either the Young or Magee within the e92/e101/e102/e105 family of sets. I believe SGC likely just labeled those based on whatever the submitter wrote down. Same with the blank backs, i don't think there is a way to differentiate which set those came from (except the freaky McGraw that showed up earlier this month). One other point i would make is that we know the e92 quality control was not very good based on the number of miscuts that have shown up, but i don't recall ever seeing a miscut or other issue that are definitely from any other series.

Dj
So we can add prizefighter to the E92 backs and include at least these two. And I am almost certain I have seen at least another baseball player / prizefighter back or two also....Here is a Menagerie as an example..

Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Thanks Leon,

I added your two prize fighters and the blank backs I was able to find quickly to the original list. Also digging through the archives I came up with another Menagerie (Bemis) from old threads confirmed by a reliable board member.

DJ

Last edited by x2drich2000; 06-15-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Richard A.

There is a blank back Gibson "back view" as well, but I have no idea whether it's considered an e90-1, e92, e101 or one of the other sets that contains that image.

But I do know that that image exists with a blank back.

Hope that helps,

Richard.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:59 AM
Dan Bl@u

Please enlighten the E-card novice - I assume the Menagerie and Prizefighter backs are from the E26 and E78 sets, and were mistakenly printed on the back of E92 sheets?

Has anyone seen non-baseball E-cards from that era with "wrong" baseball backs? Now that would be a tough type collection!
Old 06-16-2015, 07:06 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Dan, you got it exactly right. The Menagerie and Prize fighter were misprinted on the back of the baseball cards. I don't recall ever seeing either of those with the baseball back, however, I have also never looked.

Richard, thanks, I've added Gibson to the list of blank backs. Do you happen to know the grade or if it is raw?

DJ
Old 06-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Dan Bl@u

Thanks DJ, very interesting stuff!

It seems to me that of the Young and Magee Prizefighters, the Magee designated as E102 must be incorrect. The matching upside-down/miscut backs on those two cards suggest that they were cut from the same sheet. Magee and Young were both in the E101 set, but only Magee was in E102. So, if these cards were on the same sheet, it could not have been an E102 sheet. That's not to say it was definitely an E101 sheet, but we know it wasn't an E102.

Here's something else. (Again, warning - a novice outside of his comfort zone.) The E26 Animals and E78 Prizefighters were 1910 issues, yes? My understanding is that the E101 and E102 printings would have predated that - at least they're slabbed as 1908/09. So it seems to me that those "wrong backs" could not be E101s or E102s. Looking at the seven confirmed Menagerie backs (and also the Prizefighters, actually), the only sets that contain all those front poses are E92 (all four), E101, and E105. We know E101 was a 1909 issue, as was E92. The only 1910 issue was E105. So is it possible that the wrong backs are actually E105s? Doesn't that make the most sense based on the dates?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
Thanks DJ, very interesting stuff!

It seems to me that of the Young and Magee Prizefighters, the Magee designated as E102 must be incorrect. The matching upside-down/miscut backs on those two cards suggest that they were cut from the same sheet. Magee and Young were both in the E101 set, but only Magee was in E102. So, if these cards were on the same sheet, it could not have been an E102 sheet. That's not to say it was definitely an E101 sheet, but we know it wasn't an E102.

Here's something else. (Again, warning - a novice outside of his comfort zone.) The E26 Animals and E78 Prizefighters were 1910 issues, yes? My understanding is that the E101 and E102 printings would have predated that - at least they're slabbed as 1908/09. So it seems to me that those "wrong backs" could not be E101s or E102s. Looking at the seven confirmed Menagerie backs (and also the Prizefighters, actually), the only sets that contain all those front poses are E92 (all four), E101, and E105. We know E101 was a 1909 issue, as was E92. The only 1910 issue was E105. So is it possible that the wrong backs are actually E105s? Doesn't that make the most sense based on the dates?

E105s are on almost paper thin stock.....I don't think all of the "years" of those early caramel sets are so set in stone either. I think there were series issued multiple years.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
E105s are on almost paper thin stock.....I don't think all of the "years" of those early caramel sets are so set in stone either. I think there were series issued multiple years.
I agree with Leon, e105 is thinner stock. Even in a slab you can tell the differences in stock. As an example 1914 and 1915 crackerjack cards (most) look the same on the front. If you hold them up to a light 1915's you can see the back printing because they are so thin , 1914's you can read every word it is that much more thin. With that being said, and the fact that I have collected e92's for more than 15 years, when I hold my menagerie to the light and look at it in hand it has same quality/thickness of a e92. Oh yeah, here is my already verified Menagerie Animal back...

Old 06-17-2015, 01:34 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Ephus, Is that the same one that was on Ebay earlier this year? In either case, very nice card!

DJ
Old 06-17-2015, 03:02 PM

No, I have had it for maybe 6+ years. It was for sale earlier this year on Memory Lane's Own IT Now sale, but did not sell. Maybe you saw it there.

Kelly
Old 06-17-2015, 03:51 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Kelly, that's the same one. Thanks

Earlier today I was also asked if I had a list of confirmed crofts blue backs. I put a quick list together, but am still missing the following. So can anyone confirm any of the ones below?

Bender (white cap)
Bergen
Casey
Cobb
Donovan
Doyle (throwing)
Gibson
Lajoie
Magee
Matthewson
Miller (batting)
Miller (fielding)
Murphy
Schlei
Seigle
Smith
Tinker
Zimmerman

I also found evidence of a 2nd red crofts Crawford, so that list has been updated.

DJ
Old 06-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Earlier today I was also asked if I had a list of confirmed crofts blue backs. I put a quick list together, but am still missing the following. So can anyone confirm any of the ones below?

Bender (white cap)
Bergen
Casey
Cobb
Donovan
Doyle (throwing)
Gibson
Lajoie
Magee
Matthewson
Miller (batting)
Miller (fielding)
Murphy
Schlei
Seigle
Smith
Tinker
Zimmerman

I also found evidence of a 2nd red crofts Crawford, so that list has been updated.

DJ
I don't have a scan but there is a Red back Crofts Evers.....it is from a very reliable source. Thanks for the efforts.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:36 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Added a 3rd Miller fielding red back...Any one else able to add to these lists?

DJ
Old 06-30-2015, 04:33 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Richard, thanks, I've added Gibson to the list of blank backs. Do you happen to know the grade or if it is raw?

DJ
Hey DJ -- sorry for being so slow in responding to this.
The truth is that I don't remember for sure. I will see if I can track down some information and return to post whatever I find (if anything).

Richard.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:34 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Added a 3rd Miller fielding red back...Any one else able to add to these lists?

DJ
wow! a third? what condition?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:42 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Thanks everyone, added a few more to the blank backs and knocked off a few more blue backs. Please keep the lists going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Pete, appears to be vg/ex-ex, but trimmed. Will send you a PM shortly.

DJ
Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I think I have owned 2 Red backed Miller fielding cards before. I am sure at least one is counted and I am not counting the other as it was too long ago (and might have been counted).
Old 07-23-2015, 08:07 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Thanks to a board member, I've got confirmation of an e92 red croft's Shean added to the list. Any more to add?

DJ
Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Rob G.

in case you're a stickler for documentation purposes, the "blank back McGraw SGC 10 (with cocoa overprint on front)" is now raw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McGraw_blankBack_(2720).jpg (46.0 KB, 1179 views)
Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Jerry Tate

Default nice

Don't blame you for popping that one out.......that 10 designation was crazy....Jerry
Old 07-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
Don't blame you for popping that one out.......that 10 designation was crazy....Jerry
Thanks Jerry, was happy to win it from you I guess the advertisement printing on the front is like a stamp, makes it technically "poor"? Anyhow its in a binder page now.

Wonder how it happened. Face down on a wet Crofts Cocoa sheet?

(sorry to derail thread)
Old 07-24-2015, 02:50 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Rob, I updated the description. That's a great card, kind of wishing I had kept bidding higher myself.

DJ
Old 01-06-2017, 04:17 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I know this is an old thread, but figured I would bump this to the top to see if we can add/cross anything off these lists.

I found a post from over a decade ago referencing a red crofts Barry (SGC 10), but would still like to confirm the player was correct and it isn't a case of mistaken identity. Also found an old post selling a blue crofts Bergen and I picked up a blue Gibson. If anyone can confirm any others, please post or let me know.

DJ
Old 01-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:

Bender (white cap)
Bergen
Casey
Cobb
Donovan
Doyle (throwing)
Gibson
Lajoie
Magee
Matthewson
Miller (batting)
Miller (fielding)
Murphy
Schlei
Seigle
Smith
Tinker
Zimmerman

DJ
Yes, I can confirm the existence of a Crofts Blue Cobb. I had one about 20 years ago, but sold it when I left the hobby and folded Full Count's tent. As I recall it was graded a PSA 4. Nice card.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:17 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Thanks John, blue Cobb has been taken off the list. I suspect most of the blue backs will end up being confirmed, so can anyone else confirm any?

DJ
Old 01-07-2017, 11:23 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Here is a scan of the Evers. Unfortunately, it is no longer in my possession.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E92 Crofts Evers.jpg (77.2 KB, 1031 views)
File Type: jpg E92 Crofts Evers Reverse.jpg (78.1 KB, 1032 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 01-07-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:36 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Kevin, that's all i have to say. Thanks for the scan.

Leon, I am assuming this is the same Evers you were referring to, would that be accurate?

DJ
Old 01-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Jerry Tate

Default incredible

Incredible Evers Kevin!!.........Jerry
Old 01-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Leon, I am assuming this is the same Evers you were referring to, would that be accurate?

DJ
yes
Old 01-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Peter Calderon

Default E92 Blue/Red Backs

I can confirm these three players can be found with Croft's Candy backs in blue:

Casey, Lajoie, Murphy

And yes, there is an SGC 10 Barry with a red back.

Have images of them all.

Peter
Old 01-08-2017, 10:45 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Thanks Peter, I've updated the lists.

When you say you have images of them all, does that include a Cobb? I've only heard rumors of the Cobb (as in I heard from a friend of a friend that someone used to own one), but have never found a reliable source to actually say they have seen the card.

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to see the SGC 10 Barry, that and the Cobb are the only ones I have not seen a scan of yet.

Thanks
DJ
x2drich2000@yahoo.com
Old 09-03-2017, 02:26 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Been a few months since I bumped this to the top. Is anyone able to add anything to the confirmed lists? Also, I've been able to confirm all croft's candy with black backs except for Davis. Can anyone confirm this card?

DJ
Old 09-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Been a few months since I bumped this to the top. Is anyone able to add anything to the confirmed lists? Also, I've been able to confirm all croft's candy with black backs except for Davis. Can anyone confirm this card?

DJ
I can confirm red and blue from my first collection....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe92croftsredbacksx5withblue.jpg (78.0 KB, 937 views)
Old 11-02-2017, 04:38 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Now that I have it hand, I've added the 3rd confirmed red croft Bescher to the list.

What is interesting to me is you can see the SGC 50 copy and the raw copy have the exact areas on the back that are missing ink and that the missing spots got more pronounced from the raw to SGC 50 copies. Here are the 3 Bescher's side by side (raw, SGC 50, and SGC A).

Old 11-02-2017, 06:16 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Now that I have it hand, I've added the 3rd confirmed red croft Bescher to the list.

What is interesting to me is you can see the SGC 50 copy and the raw copy have the exact areas on the back that are missing ink and that the missing spots got more pronounced from the raw to SGC 50 copies. Here are the 3 Bescher's side by side (raw, SGC 50, and SGC A).

Aaaaaand next on extreme hoarders!! I love it... I cannot wait to see this completed Someday!!!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:46 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Now that REA is over, I thought I'd bump this for a couple updates. The Blue Crofts Candy Mathewson has been confirmed as well as a completely different blank back Wagner (throwing). While it is not baseball, I've also added a U.S.S. Constitution (E8) to the Prizefighter backs as the miscuts on the back are very similar.

Any one have any other cards they can add/cross off these checklists?
Old 05-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Hi DJ. I know you already have a confirmed Seigle blank back SGC 10 but I used to own one that was raw and don't know if it's the same one as the SGC 10 you already confirmed. If graded after I sold it, it would've been a 10 for sure. I can provide scans if you need them.

Thanks,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-08-2018, 03:27 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Hi Andy, by all means post a scan. I will check my records to see where I found the SGC 10, but I suspect I had the source noted on an old computer.

DJ
Old 05-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Here is the front of the blank back Seigle I used to own. I think the back scan is on another computer and I can't find it right now. The new owner might chime in but I can't speak for him.

Thanks,

AndyH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e92DockmanSeigle.jpg (27.9 KB, 836 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-08-2018, 07:01 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Thanks to a board member who has confirmed Andy's Siegle is the same as the SGC 10 example. Attached are scans of the Crawford and Zimmerman blank backs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E92 blank backs 5-8-2018_3.jpg (68.0 KB, 817 views)
Old 05-09-2018, 11:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Thanks to a board member who has confirmed Andy's Siegle is the same as the SGC 10 example. Attached are scans of the Crawford and Zimmerman blank backs.
Blank backs are very cool. Way to keep it going x2d (DJ)

Last edited by Leon; 05-09-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Blank backs are very cool. Way to keep it going x2d (DJ)
Just picked up my first E92 blank back. Personally, I don't really like blank backs (including T206) because I like the Americana of the advertisements on the back. But this is rare, and I am trying a back run in this pose, so blank back it is (clearly this have been confirmed already!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E92 Wagner, Throwing, Blank Back -- Front.jpg (34.6 KB, 799 views)
File Type: jpg E92 Wagner, Throwing, Blank Back -- Back.jpg (66.8 KB, 801 views)
Old 05-09-2018, 01:28 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

At the request of a board member, here is an older scan of the Davis blank back. I have no idea why PSA labeled it an E104, of all the possible sets it could be, that is not one.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Steve

Just wanted to post the blue back Matty -- thank you to DJ for giving me the heads up on it!
Old 05-10-2018, 03:35 PM
Jerry Tate

Default good thread

Good thread guys.....Jerry
Old 08-02-2019, 05:05 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Bumping this back to the top to see if anyone has anything new to cross off. A recent find brought confirmation of both the Nadja Cobb and Bescher.