NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-23-2023, 11:36 AM
John E.

Default Opinions on adding missing signatures to old team signed items

Just wanted to survey the group on this.

What's everyone's opinion on taking, for example, an old team-signed ball that's missing one guy, and getting that missing guy's signature at a later date. Let's assume we're using the same color pen, it's not DECADES later where the player's signature has changed significantly due to old age, etc. Take any grading/authentication out of the equation too.

If I had, say, a 1987 A's ball without Canseco, and added him at a signing event...is that advised against? Incredibly damaging to the value?

Last edited by JMEnglish27; 11-23-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-23-2023, 12:02 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEnglish27 View Post
Just wanted to survey the group on this.

What's everyone's opinion on taking, for example, an old team-signed ball that's missing one guy, and getting that missing guy's signature at a later date. Let's assume we're using the same color pen, it's not DECADES later where the player's signature has changed significantly due to old age, etc. Take any grading/authentication out of the equation too.

If I had, say, a 1987 A's ball without Canseco, and added him at a signing event...is that advised against? Incredibly damaging to the value?
I would have no problem adding additional signatures. Quite a few collectors have special milestone balls (ex. 500 home run balls) signed by those players in the club. It would be a rare event to have every 500 home run hitter under the same roof at a signing event. On the football side, signed helmets have sigs added at different times. In my day of collecting signed balls, single signed balls ruled the day. Purportedly, multi-signed balls are harder to sell. Then again, in my day, signed cards purportedly ruined the value of the card, now such cards are all the rage. Add the signature.
Old 11-25-2023, 03:07 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Agreed, you should be able to add the autograph to a team ball at a later time, presuming that it is hand-signed/witnessed and that the authentication, if any, is updated to include the new signatures.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:27 AM
Jim Reynolds

I guess it depends (to me) on when the ball was signed originally, but I don't like the practice.
Old 11-26-2023, 10:19 AM

I have no issue with it.
Old 11-26-2023, 12:48 PM
+0m J()rd@N

In this case, I'd go ahead and add Canseco. I'd say it's a yes on any team ball from the last 40 years, and on a case-by-case basis on balls older than that. You'd want the new sig to look as close to the older sigs as possible.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 11-26-2023, 05:46 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

No problem, but make sure it's the same color ink and hopefully the other sigs are dark and strong to match the new one. I hate when one or two are real dark and the rest are faded.
1955 Dodger Autographs...41/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 11-26-2023, 06:00 PM
Ben North

I will be the oddball and say I am not a fan. I was about to sign up to another auction house to bid on what would have been an amazing item. I could see the main signature I cared about looked off. Not off like a forgery but off as in it looked to be a newer version of his autograph. The person who consigned it confirmed my original opinion. So to me I no longer wanted it because it had a newer auto on an older item.

It would really depend on the item also. A 87 As team ball I would add Jose.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:12 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I will be the oddball and say I am not a fan. I was about to sign up to another auction house to bid on what would have been an amazing item. I could see the main signature I cared about looked off. Not off like a forgery but off as in it looked to be a newer version of his autograph. The person who consigned it confirmed my original opinion. So to me I no longer wanted it because it had a newer auto on an older item.

It would really depend on the item also. A 87 As team ball I would add Jose.
Not so oddball.... I completely agree.

I like to leave vintage things as they are, and it would bother me to have newly signed autos on a vintage ball. To me, they always stand out in an intrusive way.... brighter ink, bolder auto, slightly different colored ink, newer "style" of autograph, etc.

I like the uniformity of naturally aged baseballs and vintage ink, and I would not corrupt a vintage signed ball, as it would bother me every time I looked at it. Just my personal preference (since the question was asked), and not intended to influence the OP either way.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 11-29-2023, 11:11 AM
John E.

Thanks all!
Old 11-29-2023, 01:50 PM

Today it would be pretty difficult for somebody to get something like a team signed baseball in a single event. And as mentioned, it is impossible to collect something like a baseball signed by every member of the 500 home run club without constantly adding signatures as time passes.

I think the only circumstance I would advise against getting a signature long after the fact would be if you wanted something like a Mickey Mantle and Mike Trout signed baseball.

Last edited by packs; 11-29-2023 at 01:51 PM.