NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2021, 07:31 AM
Jim T.
Ji.m Tar.olli

Default Does COMC make sure cards are authentic?

Something I've wondered about for a while: does COMC make sure cards are legitimate before putting for sale? If I want to buy a Goudey or T206 or 1887 A&G from them, are they legitimate cards? Ebay is littered with "reprints" that are actually fakes. And its not just pre-war. Any notable common, for example a '57 Topps Hank Aaron, has fake cards come up when searched on eBay. Is it possible some of these go to COMC to be sold as original cards?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2021, 08:09 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Good question. COMC does its best to make sure every item sold is real and unaltered, but some slip through the cracks. I have reported hundreds of fake or trimmed items to them and they've removed them from sale (or reversed the sales) in those cases. They have a very liberal return policy for an counterfeit or altered cards that they've sold, and that includes ones in graded holders that got past PSA, BGS, or SGC.
They now charge the original submitter $10 for every counterfeit or altered item that was submitted to them and remove it from sale from their site. If you ever have a question on a card that is listed for sale, you can mouse over the picture, select "Report Error" in the bottom right corner, then click the "Questionable Authenticity" circle and explain why you think it's a fake. Or you can email them at staff@comc.com if you're thinking about buying it.

COMC only charges a few quarters to scan and list each card, so they're not thoroughly checking every card coming through the submissions. And their basic intake staff doesn't have the knowledge or accuracy to get everything right. But they're trying.

Right now there are a bunch of 1991 Topps Desert Shields on site. There are a lot of those being faked right now that are making it through PSA and BGS graders, and I'm sure some of the ones on COMC are counterfeit stamped as well. I've personally found a bunch of the 1947-66 Exhibits that were counterfeit, marked them as such, and they were removed from sale and/or the buyers were reimbursed.

They got hit by a couple of the professional scammers a couple of years ago who were passing altered cards in PSA/BGS/SGC holders through COMC to sell. Those sellers were mostly kicked off of COMC and COMC fulfilled all return requests, AFAIK. Again, going way past what other consignment services have done, and way past what many grading services have done. There are a couple of people on Net54 that work for COMC and may be able to give you more information. I'm just a guy that buys/sells on there and loves what they're trying to accomplish. I also make lots of recommendations each year on how they can do their jobs better, so they listen to me.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Good question. COMC does its best to make sure every item sold is real and unaltered, but some slip through the cracks. I have reported hundreds of fake or trimmed items to them and they've removed them from sale (or reversed the sales) in those cases. They have a very liberal return policy for an counterfeit or altered cards that they've sold, and that includes ones in graded holders that got past PSA, BGS, or SGC.
They now charge the original submitter $10 for every counterfeit or altered item that was submitted to them and remove it from sale from their site. If you ever have a question on a card that is listed for sale, you can mouse over the picture, select "Report Error" in the bottom right corner, then click the "Questionable Authenticity" circle and explain why you think it's a fake. Or you can email them at staff@comc.com if you're thinking about buying it.

COMC only charges a few quarters to scan and list each card, so they're not thoroughly checking every card coming through the submissions. And their basic intake staff doesn't have the knowledge or accuracy to get everything right. But they're trying.

Right now there are a bunch of 1991 Topps Desert Shields on site. There are a lot of those being faked right now that are making it through PSA and BGS graders, and I'm sure some of the ones on COMC are counterfeit stamped as well. I've personally found a bunch of the 1947-66 Exhibits that were counterfeit, marked them as such, and they were removed from sale and/or the buyers were reimbursed.

They got hit by a couple of the professional scammers a couple of years ago who were passing altered cards in PSA/BGS/SGC holders through COMC to sell. Those sellers were mostly kicked off of COMC and COMC fulfilled all return requests, AFAIK. Again, going way past what other consignment services have done, and way past what many grading services have done. There are a couple of people on Net54 that work for COMC and may be able to give you more information. I'm just a guy that buys/sells on there and loves what they're trying to accomplish. I also make lots of recommendations each year on how they can do their jobs better, so they listen to me.
I'm going to expound slightly on this as per what John said:

In simplest terms, if there are any cards you are unsure of their authenticity, please find the card and put a correction request in for us at COMC to look at the card a second time. I work remotely 2000 miles away so I can't personally look at any of the cards

That action enables us to put a hold on any card which may be questionable until they are further checked out.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:15 AM
Jim T.
Ji.m Tar.olli

Thanks guys for the information, much appreciated. Glad to hear they are doing all they can

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk