NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Default how low can they go?

Posted By: warshawlaw 

The post about gluing a card back together raised a really interesting issue: what does a "1" grade mean and how should it be used? I raise the issue separately because I have seen more than one card with chunks missing from it or major tears graded a "1" by SGC (check their pop report for N310 Corbett cards--the "1" listed there was missing two chunks) and someone in the recent gluing thread mentioned that PSA had graded a Mantle that had been glued together.

The first aspect I am thinking of is the use of a "1" or similar lower grade on cards with major damage like missing pieces, tears, major back damage or peeling, etc. I know that the services will grade a card with this kind of damage because I have had some OJ's graded this way. So, the first question is at what point does the damage to a card become so profound that the card is ungradeable at any level?

The second aspect is the rationale behind the apparent selection of certain alterations as gradeable (albeit as a "1") and the rejection of others as "bad" alterations. Why is a card with a torn off corner, a rip from a thumbtack, or a peeled back gradeable but a card with a trimmed edge ungradeable? Is there any rational basis for the distinction or have we merely accepted wholecloth a decision made by others as to what is acceptable? Why, for example, do the services grade Zeenuts and Red Man's with the coupons trimmed off yet not a T206 with a trimmed edge? I know that some people say that a tear or removal of a tab is "regular" wear but a trim is an "alteration"; to me this is mere semantics. I mean, first of all, in the case of a "tear" or missing corner no one who did not do the damage knows precisely how it happened. It seems to boil down to a judgment call as to whether someone intentionally trimmed the card or inadvertently tore off its end, which I feel is an inherently indefensible call to make.

Old 04-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

PSA won't grade a card that has been torn in half and then put back together with glue. I would like to see that. There is a PSA grade lower than PSA 1. It is PSA AUTH. It means the card didn't meet PSA 1 standards and it is Authentic.

Old 04-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I wondered the same thing myself. Why is a trimmed card ungradable, yet a strip card that ahs been cut from it's panel or strip ok to grade? I've seriously considered trimming the w572 Grover Alexander I have becuase the boarders are fat and would go from being Ex to NM+ by being trimmed and the slabbers would have no problem with it being trimmed and 'in spec' since it's a strip card.

Personally, I don't have a problem with slabbers grading trimmed cards. The words "TRIMMED" or a "TR" on a grade would be the death sentance to anyone's hopes of a big profit and people would know it's trimmed. But you know that people looking to make serious money on the card are going to crack it out and sell it raw since a raw, trimmed card will most likely sell for more than a graded trimmed card.

Another reason to slab trimmed cards, for someone like me, I don't do it becuase the card will sell for more, but just to protect the card in general (and SGC holders make a card look good). If I send a card in and don't realsize it is trimmed, I still want it slabbed. I paid to have the card graded AND slabbed. If you are going to reject a card for being trimmed and not slab it, then you better be refunding me some money since you didn't bother finishing the grading process or slabbing the card.

Jay

Old 04-25-2003, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Jay,

Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with you 100%.

Old 04-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If nothing else, I'd like to see the slabbers at least offer the option of slabbing a trimmed card or not. If someone submits a card and still wants it slabbed even if it's trimmed make it so that all they have to do is check a box that you want it slabbed. That way, people that want all their cards slabbed can get them slabbed and those don't want trimmed cards slabbed, it will still let the slabbers make their extra money for not having to provide the full service they are offering.

Jay

Old 04-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

I have sent 4 T213-3 Coupons to SGC from 3 different sources that all came back "trimmed". I have a fifth now from a fourth source. Wagers on if it comes back "trimmed"? MW? LOL

I hope they don't put "TR" for "trimmed" in ink on the back as they smear their cheeto-stained fingers on it. LOL