NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2020, 01:20 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206fix View Post
These players were not excluded from the ML because they lacked talent, it's because they were black. And as Triwak put it, just because someone says they weren't good enough to be in the Majors, doesn't make it true. There is no metric out there right now that can tell us the 11th best player on a NL team was equal to the 15th best player on a ML team. A lot of people out there have opinions, but the only way to prove it is to let them play... oops, too late for that.
Totally agree. Not that we can't estimate 'greatness', just it's hard to make a direct comparison. I love the way it's done in baseball reference (I believe) which was posted earlier, showing the league affiliation.

I think it's great that the HOF is accepting the NL as another "Major League", just a lot of thought and effort will need to be put into the stats for any meaningful comparison. And even then it will obviously be an estimate of 'greatness'. Jeez, we can't even agree on who the best picture was in a single league within a given year, for one example.

As far as anecdotal/opinions. I've read enough books were 'Joe Dirt said Milt Pappas was the toughest pitcher he ever faced, even tougher than Koufax', that individual opinions mean little. But taken in aggregate they could be meaningful.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:28 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
No. That is totally at odds with history. The MLB had every opportunity to play against everybody. If you will recall, they chose to ban players of color from the league. When you say "neither COULD play against the best of both" that is a stretch considering the reason MLB didn't play against the best competition of the era was due to their choice to exclude them.
Who is this "MLB" you are talking about? Players or owners? Who ran baseball? Especially back then. Players or owners? The PLAYERS played against the best they were allowed to play against. I'm sorry, not sure what you point is but it doesn't contradict what I saying.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:39 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I think a good argument can be made that the pitching in the NL wasn't great. After Jackie broke the color line in 1947, it took 18 years before a black pitcher won 20 games (Mudcat Grant and Bob Gibson in 1965.) It was so rare for a black pitcher to win 20 in the Majors that Grant wrote a book about them titled "The Black Aces." I have a signed copy.

Grant, Gibson, Earl Wilson, Jenkins, Downing, Blue, Richard, Norris, Gooden, Stewart, and in 2005, Dontrelle Willis. In the 57 years since 1947, there were only 11 black 20 game winners. Of these 11, only 4 did it more than once (Gibson, Jenkins, Blue, Stewart.)

So for all the talk about the great black hitters back in the day, the pitching, by Major League standards, was much less impressive. And that had to help the hitters.
Juan Marichal? I know he was a Latin pitcher but segregation would have kept him out too.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Who is this "MLB" you are talking about? Players or owners? Who ran baseball? Especially back then. Players or owners? The PLAYERS played against the best they were allowed to play against. I'm sorry, not sure what you point is but it doesn't contradict what I saying.
My issue is you’re equating the white experience with the black as though they were somehow equal re: who they were “allowed” to play against. That is extremely far from the truth and the idea that this exclusion or segregation was a shared experience is at odds with history.

That is the point. There was no shared experience when it came to excluding players of color from the major leagues.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:49 PM
Rich

Here's another point of view from a prominent Black sportswriter, Howard Bryant, who penned Henry Aaron's autobiography:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-black-players
Old 12-18-2020, 02:00 PM
James M.

I don't have an issue with stats from the Negro League's being counted. I don't think there's much winning with the MLB's declaration of this though. Either way they are angering someone or some group of people. I did appreciate Bryant's take on the situation, and I do think he's right to a degree, this recognizes Black Ball Players but at the same time does not paint the full picture.

Baseball, to my knowledge at least, practiced De Facto segregation. There was never anything prohibiting owners signing people of color, other than the unwritten code all of them were willing to uphold, along with the opinions Kennesaw Mountain Landis who ruled the game with an iron first. More or less, it didn't have to be written, what he said usually applied.

I think Baseball is trying to right a wrong. It's a wrong that is very complex, and there's really no proper way to do it. Because regardless of how it is handled someone, somewhere will detract from it. I think the MLB is trying to provide a spotlight to the Negro Leagues, to recognize it's history by including all of these players into the official MLB record books. I think baseball does need to recognize the fact that these players didn't choose not to play in the MLB, but that they simply weren't allowed. However I do think what baseball is doing is more than a lot of the other sports out there does. I do not want to overstep my bounds on this forum by talking politics but lets just say the NBA and the NFL aren't exactly the poster-children for justice with many of their practices.

And again any decision of this magnitude will anger some group of people in some way.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 12-18-2020 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Clarification on my part.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:00 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
My issue is you’re equating the white experience with the black as though they were somehow equal re: who they were “allowed” to play against. That is extremely far from the truth and the idea that this exclusion or segregation was a shared experience is at odds with history.

That is the point. There was no shared experience when it came to excluding players of color from the major leagues.
So your point is to make a point about something I never really said or implied? Ok, got it.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:46 PM
Tony Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Not a strong take. Research the unwritten rules governing black pitchers in the early days of MLB integration.
Jason, would love to hear more about this. Where do I look?
Old 12-18-2020, 02:57 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Jason, would love to hear more about this. Where do I look?

One example relates to belief that Black men weren’t cerebral enough to pitch, catch, or manage. Here is Bob Kendrick on the topic—

——-

“Historically, pitchers and catchers did not transition from the Negro Leagues,’’ Kendrick said. “There were great arms in the Negro Leagues, and we had great catchers from Josh Gibson to Roy Campanella, but that was considered a cerebral position. And the general consensus back then was that these men weren’t smart enough to play in the major leagues.

———

Same line of racist thinking limited Black Quarterbacks in football and managers/GMs in several sports.

Additionally, Black pitchers were hesitant to throw inside vs white batters out of fear their lives or careers would be at risk if they injured a white player.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 12-18-2020, 03:22 PM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
The NA of 1871-75 was "organized" mainly in a theoretical sense. Yes, the richer, major-market teams did play fairly regular schedules, but any team that could pay the $5 entry fee could join, and lots of teams dropped out and joined each year, so there was little consistency. (The only three teams to play in each of the NA's five seasons were the Boston Red Stockings, New York Mutuals, and Philadelphia Athletics.) There was no central authority to enforce schedules or other matters, so that if a rich team didn't think it was worth their while to travel to hinterlands to play one of the weak teams, they just didn't go. This was a key difference between the NA and its successor, the National League; the NL was organized to have a strong central authority who would enforce the rules. When the New York Mutuals and the Philadelphia Athletics refused to make their last western road trip of the 1876 season because it wouldn't be profitable for them, the NL expelled them, despite the fact that they were the league's two largest-market teams. That was arguably the moment when the NL established itself as a real major league.

The NA was really just a loose confederation of individual teams that agreed (in principle) to play each other on a semi-regular basis. It was closer to an organized league to what had existed before, but I think it's reasonable to conclude that it wasn't a major "league", with the emphasis on "league". Now, one can can certainly argue this point, and there are other questionable cases as well, especially the Union Association of 1884, which I think was less of a major league than the NA was, despite MLB's decision to the contrary in 1968. Lack of organizational structure is also why MLB is not recognizing pre-1920 black baseball organizations as "major leagues", though I've already seen some argument about that.
Interesting. Thank you for the perspective.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:41 PM
Brian K

Default Too little too late

When I read the headline of this happening, I really hoped it had more to it than just stats. I know people live and die by the stats, I am certainly not one of those folks. I guess there was a naive part of me that had hoped if MLB was going to make the gesture of inclusion, there would have been an extension of some percentage of pension or benefit extended to living players, or something comparable to what players of that time period collected (or what their families would collect). At the end of the day, if you are going to recognize the league as professional, you should commit to the financial commitments of "squaring the house." If not, it feels like an empty gesture trying to make up for a shameful part of the sport's history done solely for optics.

Last edited by yanks87; 12-18-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:43 PM

Adam W:

Luque was good in the majors but not great.

Marsans doesn't even enter the equation.

Lopez was of Spanish, thus European, ancestry.

My comment was that there were no Latin American superstars pre-integration. I was quickly shot down about Ted Williams, to which I certainly conceded, despite Teddy clearly not showing the world his Latino pride.

"Now, Mr. Archive, you had better choose your battles wisely lest we sue you!" (Thought about that one for the first time in ages yesterday and have been looking for any excuse to use it!)

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 12-18-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:49 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Touche! You got me there, Chris.

(Although Ted's roots were definitely covered more than once and way back when, it still was not something most people were privy to. I think this would still be news to the majority of the population. The case of Teddy completely slipped my mind, as I was thinking of those who actually came from Latin American countries when I wrote what I did. It's a shame he wished to hide an entire half of his genes and to an extent, his family.)
To be fair, counting Ted is kinda cheating. He hid his roots and, for lack of a better way to put it, didn't "look the part". He certainly wasn't an open Latino during his career or, really, his whole life.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
To be fair, counting Ted is kinda cheating. He hid his roots and, for lack of a better way to put it, didn't "look the part". He certainly wasn't an open Latino during his career or, really, his whole life.
Exactly why it slipped my mind in the first place. Thanks to your correction, though, I'm never likely to forget about it again!
Old 12-18-2020, 04:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
When I read the headline of this happening, I really hoped it had more to it than just stats. I know people live and die by the stats, I am certainly not one of those folks. I guess there was a naive part of me that had hoped if MLB was going to make the gesture of inclusion, there would have been an extension of some percentage of pension or benefit extended to living players, or something comparable to what players of that time period collected (or what their families would collect). At the end of the day, if you are going to recognize the league as professional, you should commit to the financial commitments of "squaring the house." If not, it feels like an empty gesture trying to make up for a shameful part of the sport's history done solely for optics.
In 1997, the MLB executive council created a payment plan for about 85 black players who didn’t play in the majors long enough to qualify for a pension, or who did not have the opportunity to play in the majors at all. To be eligible for their payments, the black players had to either play in the Negro Leagues for at least one season before 1948 or play a combined four years in the Negro Leagues and the major leagues before 1979.

The price tag associated with this magnanimous gesture? It amounted to annual payments of between $7,500 and $10,000 per player. That future got even brighter for the veterans of the Negro Leagues in 2004, when MLB agreed to make payments to more of these ballplayers on the grounds that baseball had not been totally integrated until 1959, when the Boston Red Sox became the last team to field a black player.

The terms of the agreement weren’t exactly the same as with the 1997 group of ex Negro Leaguers. Players who never played in the major leagues were given the option of electing to choose pensions totaling $375 per month ($4,500 annually) for life or $10,000 a year for four years.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:47 PM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
In 1997, the MLB executive council created a payment plan for about 85 black players who didn’t play in the majors long enough to qualify for a pension, or who did not have the opportunity to play in the majors at all. To be eligible for their payments, the black players had to either play in the Negro Leagues for at least one season before 1948 or play a combined four years in the Negro Leagues and the major leagues before 1979.

The price tag associated with this magnanimous gesture? It amounted to annual payments of between $7,500 and $10,000 per player. That future got even brighter for the veterans of the Negro Leagues in 2004, when MLB agreed to make payments to more of these ballplayers on the grounds that baseball had not been totally integrated until 1959, when the Boston Red Sox became the last team to field a black player.

The terms of the agreement weren’t exactly the same as with the 1997 group of ex Negro Leaguers. Players who never played in the major leagues were given the option of electing to choose pensions totaling $375 per month ($4,500 annually) for life or $10,000 a year for four years.
Great info, thank you for sharing. Do you happen to know what compensations would look like for similar parameters in the same years for MLB players?
Old 12-18-2020, 05:06 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I totally agree with this!

I think recognizing the NL is great, and preserving their history is very important. The above post nails it.

My sole objection is blending the stats with long established ML stats. For instance, will we now need to re-calculate who won the batting titles for each of those impacted years?
Old 12-18-2020, 05:15 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Great info, thank you for sharing. Do you happen to know what compensations would look like for similar parameters in the same years for MLB players?
Quite the opposite actually.

Professional baseball players who are retired and white players are not entitled to the pension benefits Major League Baseball bestowed on former Negro Leagues players, a federal appeals court ruled.

The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that MLB did not discriminate against about 1,000 white players when it gave medical benefits and $1,000 monthly pensions to dozens of elderly black players who didn't qualify for a pension.

Until 1979, all players had to be on a major league roster for at least four seasons to receive pensions. The lawsuit was brought by white players who didn't have four years tenure but alleged that not getting the same pensions as blacks was discriminatory.

The appeals court disagreed, saying the pension program created for black players who put in time with the Negro Leagues was "created to remedy specific discrimination."

Before 1947, blacks were not allowed into MLB. So the league changed the pension rules in 1997, saying tenure in the old Negro Leagues from 1947 and before counted toward an MLB pension if black players also had time in the majors.

The 27 players who were eligible for the pensions all played part of at least four seasons after Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier in 1947.

Last edited by Casey2296; 12-18-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:16 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Adam W:

Luque was good in the majors but not great.

Marsans doesn't even enter the equation.

Lopez was of Spanish, thus European, ancestry.

My comment was that there were no Latin American superstars pre-integration. I was quickly shot down about Ted Williams, to which I certainly conceded, despite Teddy clearly not showing the world his Latino pride.

"Now, Mr. Archive, you had better choose your battles wisely lest we sue you!" (Thought about that one for the first time in ages yesterday and have been looking for any excuse to use it!)
Lefty Gomez was of Mexican descent although he was born in California.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Lefty Gomez was of Mexican descent although he was born in California.
I had to go back and double-check on this, as something was nagging at me that like Al Lopez, Vernon was of Spanish descent. Apparently, his father was indeed of Spanish-Portuguese ancestry and his mother's familial background was Welsh-Irish.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 12-18-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:46 PM
Tony Davis

Quote:
One example relates to belief that Black men weren’t cerebral enough to pitch, catch, or manage. Here is Bob Kendrick on the topic—

——-

“Historically, pitchers and catchers did not transition from the Negro Leagues,’’ Kendrick said. “There were great arms in the Negro Leagues, and we had great catchers from Josh Gibson to Roy Campanella, but that was considered a cerebral position. And the general consensus back then was that these men weren’t smart enough to play in the major leagues.

———

Same line of racist thinking limited Black Quarterbacks in football and managers/GMs in several sports.

Additionally, Black pitchers were hesitant to throw inside vs white batters out of fear their lives or careers would be at risk if they injured a white player.
Thank you. I remember that bullshit from the 80s. "A black man can't quarterback."

PE : we about to watch the super bowl, we got a black quarter back, so step back.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:05 PM
Scott

I was going to bring that point up about black pitchers and double standards. If a black quarterback wasn’t accepted until 1988, what makes you think a black man throwing a baseball 90 mph at a white man’s head would have been accepted in the late 1940s and throughout the 1950s?
Old 12-18-2020, 06:07 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Exactly why it slipped my mind in the first place. Thanks to your correction, though, I'm never likely to forget about it again!
Don't worry, if you do, I'll be here to berate you endlessly.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
I was going to bring that point up about black pitchers and double standards. If a black quarterback wasn’t accepted until 1988, what makes you think a black man throwing a baseball 90 mph at a white man’s head would have been accepted in the late 1940s and throughout the 1950s?
Gibby, who of course came along a whole decade later, related some stories about how he was excluded from meetings discussing how to pitch to the opposing team's lineup by Solly Hemus and perhaps others, the assumption being he wasn't smart enough to contribute. Unreal.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-18-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:31 PM
Brian K

Quote:

Professional baseball players who are retired and white players are not entitled to the pension benefits Major League Baseball bestowed on former Negro Leagues players, a federal appeals court ruled.

The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that MLB did not discriminate against about 1,000 white players when it gave medical benefits and $1,000 monthly pensions to dozens of elderly black players who didn't qualify for a pension.

Until 1979, all players had to be on a major league roster for at least four seasons to receive pensions. The lawsuit was brought by white players who didn't have four years tenure but alleged that not getting the same pensions as blacks was discriminatory.

The appeals court disagreed, saying the pension program created for black players who put in time with the Negro Leagues was "created to remedy specific discrimination."

Before 1947, blacks were not allowed into MLB. So the league changed the pension rules in 1997, saying tenure in the old Negro Leagues from 1947 and before counted toward an MLB pension if black players also had time in the majors.

The 27 players who were eligible for the pensions all played part of at least four seasons after Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier in 1947.
Again, great info, I had no idea. Thank you for filling this in.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:00 AM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
The NA of 1871-75 was "organized" mainly in a theoretical sense. Yes, the richer, major-market teams did play fairly regular schedules, but any team that could pay the $5 entry fee could join, and lots of teams dropped out and joined each year, so there was little consistency. (The only three teams to play in each of the NA's five seasons were the Boston Red Stockings, New York Mutuals, and Philadelphia Athletics.) There was no central authority to enforce schedules or other matters, so that if a rich team didn't think it was worth their while to travel to hinterlands to play one of the weak teams, they just didn't go. This was a key difference between the NA and its successor, the National League; the NL was organized to have a strong central authority who would enforce the rules. When the New York Mutuals and the Philadelphia Athletics refused to make their last western road trip of the 1876 season because it wouldn't be profitable for them, the NL expelled them, despite the fact that they were the league's two largest-market teams. That was arguably the moment when the NL established itself as a real major league.

The NA was really just a loose confederation of individual teams that agreed (in principle) to play each other on a semi-regular basis. It was closer to an organized league to what had existed before, but I think it's reasonable to conclude that it wasn't a major "league", with the emphasis on "league". Now, one can can certainly argue this point, and there are other questionable cases as well, especially the Union Association of 1884, which I think was less of a major league than the NA was, despite MLB's decision to the contrary in 1968. Lack of organizational structure is also why MLB is not recognizing pre-1920 black baseball organizations as "major leagues", though I've already seen some argument about that.

The NA was part of the evolution of the organization of professional baseball and the best players of the time were involved. I think the key here is "paid" and "best of their time." This is the same argument that has been made in this thread regarding the Negro Leagues. If the best players are involved, the league should be considered "major." If we can not exclude black players for being denied the right to play in white major leagues through no fault of their own, we shouldn't punish early players for being born too soon. This distinction is important regarding HOF eligibility and the "ten year rule." Pioneer players have never received fair treatment from the HOF and are pitifully underrepresented in the HOF. Why aren't more baseball enthusiasts trying to right this wrong?

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 12-19-2020 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:33 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:

I shouldn’t be surprised that the Ninth Circus came up with that logic.

Last edited by egri; 12-19-2020 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:37 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Gibby, who of course came along a whole decade later, related some stories about how he was excluded from meetings discussing how to pitch to the opposing team's lineup by Solly Hemus and perhaps others, the assumption being he wasn't smart enough to contribute. Unreal.
Hemus was notorious for treating the black players like shit when he was the Cardinals’ manager, especially Gibson and Curt Flood. Years later he tried to apologize to both of them, but they neither forgave nor forgot. Hemus was a bigger prick than most, but racist attitudes like his were prevalent in the game into the 1960s and beyond.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:56 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
The NA was part of the evolution of the organization of professional baseball and the best players of the time were involved. I think the key here is "paid" and "best of their time." This is the same argument that has been made in this thread regarding the Negro Leagues. If the best players are involved, the league should be considered "major." If we can not exclude black players for being denied the right to play in white major leagues through no fault of their own, we shouldn't punish early players for being born too soon. This distinction is important regarding HOF eligibility and the "ten year rule." Pioneer players have never received fair treatment from the HOF and are pitifully underrepresented in the HOF. Why aren't more baseball enthusiasts trying to right this wrong?
I don’t disagree with anything you said here. I was trying to explain the rationale for excluding the NA from “major league” status, which I think is coherent but arguable. I wouldn’t have a problem with officially recognizing the NA as major, and the fact that baseball-reference treats NA stats the same as NL ones is a pretty significant unofficial recognition. I am 1000% on board with giving more recognition to pioneer players, especially the HOF.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:42 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Hemus was notorious for treating the black players like shit when he was the Cardinals’ manager, especially Gibson and Curt Flood. Years later he tried to apologize to both of them, but they neither forgave nor forgot. Hemus was a bigger prick than most, but racist attitudes like his were prevalent in the game into the 1960s and beyond.
Yes, "in the game," as in "in America," "and beyond," as in "and today." I was born in 1946, and would recommend not talking about it like it was ancient history. Things are better, tremendous progress has been made, but the last several years have shown us how much further we have to go. If anyone is really interested in atonement for our racist past, there's plenty to do about our racist present right now.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
best thing to happen in baseball my entire life!
wow!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2020, 09:39 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Yes, "in the game," as in "in America," "and beyond," as in "and today." I was born in 1946, and would recommend not talking about it like it was ancient history. Things are better, tremendous progress has been made, but the last several years have shown us how much further we have to go. If anyone is really interested in atonement for our racist past, there's plenty to do about our racist present right now.
Of course there is still racism in America, and I didn’t mean to imply otherwise. I was talking about the kind of blatant, in-your-face racism that Solly Hemus practiced, which has become socially unacceptable in most public contexts, including MLB. If somebody called an opposing player a “black bastard” today, as Hemus did in 1959, it would rightly cause a furor. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think that this means that racism is no longer a problem, but as the past few years have so painfully shown, that’s not the case at all.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:59 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Of course there is still racism in America, and I didn’t mean to imply otherwise. I was talking about the kind of blatant, in-your-face racism that Solly Hemus practiced, which has become socially unacceptable in most public contexts, including MLB. If somebody called an opposing player a “black bastard” today, as Hemus did in 1959, it would rightly cause a furor. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think that this means that racism is no longer a problem, but as the past few years have so painfully shown, that’s not the case at all.
Please elaborate on our racist present?
Old 12-19-2020, 10:30 AM
Scott

Let’s just keep focused on the issue at hand: the Negro Leagues...
Old 12-19-2020, 10:55 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post

Gonna be honest, I mentally tackled this sidebar discussion from every possible angle and I really don’t see how it could go horribly, terribly, dumpster fire wrong. So sure, have fun with that.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebeckleyoldeagleeye View Post
Another problem is guy's like Ken Burns think's every player in the Negro Leagues had enough talent to be in the major leagues.

i think the same would be said the other way around, no?
Old 12-19-2020, 11:00 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
Let’s just keep focused on the issue at hand: the Negro Leagues...
If you say so.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:16 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
Uh, no thanks.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I remember that bullshit from the 80s. "A black man can't quarterback."

PE : we about to watch the super bowl, we got a black quarter back, so step back.
Not just the 80's. After Russell Wilson's famous super bowl INT my former boss started off a statement with, "This is not racist, but...". Of course, I knew the next words out of his mouth would, in fact, be racist & he didn't disappoint finishing with "a black quarterback can't win a super bowl". Wilson himself had won it the previous season, but whatever.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:46 AM
Mikeknapp

Nice article by Tom Boswell

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...negro-leagues/

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 12-21-2020, 09:36 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
Not just the 80's. After Russell Wilson's famous super bowl INT my former boss started off a statement with, "This is not racist, but...". Of course, I knew the next words out of his mouth would, in fact, be racist & he didn't disappoint finishing with "a black quarterback can't win a super bowl". Wilson himself had won it the previous season, but whatever.
Is that evidence of systemic racism, or is he just your common, garden variety idiot?

I hear people say ignorant things all the time, about all sorts of things. On the topic of Russ Wilson, he is undeniably very successful at his profession, he's paid quite well, he's wildly popular in Seattle, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy and very hard working. Personally, he's my favorite guy on that team.

That interception that lost the Super Bowl is 100% on the coach. Give the ball to The Beast, 3 times if you have to, and you win. But no, Sherman has to get cute and call a risky play.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:42 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Hank's point is valid and excellent.

Making some assumptions: During the period 1920-1948, the average black player and average white player were basically equal in ability. Also assume interest in playing baseball was basically equal between blacks and non-blacks. And finally, assume the number of teams in the NL and ML is the same.

If the population is comprised of 10% blacks and 90% non-blacks. It means, for every spot on a ML roster, there are 9 times as many non-black guys competing for it, compared to blacks trying to make it in the NL.

If there were only half as many teams in the NL as there were in the ML, then the non-blacks had 4.5 guys competing for a roster spot compared to blacks in their league.
Interesting thoughts, such discussion always tend toward murky and turbulent waters. Nonetheless, using your math how can it be explained that according to the most recent Census 76.3% of the country is white and 13.4% are black. Yet 81% of NBA players are black and 70% of NFL is black? Unfortunately only 7.7% of MLB is black. Baseball had little completion for athletes during the negro league era. Looking forward, how do we get the future Lebron James and Lamar Jacksons more interested in baseball? For that matter how do we draw the future Baker Mayfields to baseball? BTW I am not excluding the NHL for any other reason than it doesn’t interest me in the least. Also, as a Latino with a German last name it warms my heart that people acknowledge that Ted Williams is one of me only with a slightly better swing��

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 12-21-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:45 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
I'll defend that call til the day I die. Besides the fact Lynch hadn't succeeded in any of those situations all year...Russ hesitated on the throw, threw it late, threw it inaccurately, and Ricardo Lockette ran his route half-speed and at the wrong angle. If EITHER guy executes properly, it's a touchdown.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I started out skeptical of this whole thing but after reading the arguments against it on N54 I have changed my tune. I view it as an act of contrition on the part of MLB towards the men who were not enshrined in Cooperstown. They deserve respect as Major League players, not back of the bus status as Negro League players.

As far as parity goes, we routinely ignore the statistics from the 19th century game, especially every season pitching stat, because it was a totally different game played under totally different conditions. Designating Artie Wilson as a .400 hitter doesn't diminish Ted Williams one iota.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-21-2020, 01:07 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I'll defend that call til the day I die. Besides the fact Lynch hadn't succeeded in any of those situations all year...Russ hesitated on the throw, threw it late, threw it inaccurately, and Ricardo Lockette ran his route half-speed and at the wrong angle. If EITHER guy executes properly, it's a touchdown.
It's first and goal at the 5 yard line. They give it to Lynch and he gains 4. Now it's second and goal from the one. I'm thinking, if Lynch and that O-line can get 4 yards on the first play down there, they can get one more with 3 more stabs at it.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:13 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Interesting thoughts, such discussion always tend toward murky and turbulent waters. Nonetheless, using your math how can it be explained that according to the most recent Census 76.3% of the country is white and 13.4% are black. Yet 81% of NBA players are black and 70% of NFL is black? Unfortunately only 7.7% of MLB is black. Baseball had little completion for athletes during the negro league era. Looking forward, how do we get the future Lebron James and Lamar Jacksons more interested in baseball? For that matter how do we draw the future Baker Mayfields to baseball? BTW I am not excluding the NHL for any other reason than it doesn’t interest me in the least. Also, as a Latino with a German last name it warms my heart that people acknowledge that Ted Williams is one of me only with a slightly better swing��
Why do "WE" have to manipulate other people? If the future Lebron James wants to play basketball, as a free American, that's his choice. "WE" shouldn't be trying to steer him away from what he wants to do.

I attribute the disparities you mention to free will - people preferring one sport over another. The fact that it's easier to play basketball in a more confined area (like in a city neighborhood) and with fewer players might be a factor too.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Come on, man. The best running back in football, ball on the one yard line, and you're defending a pass play? Your own analysis shows the problem -- too many things can go wrong.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:56 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-21-2020, 07:09 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Looking forward, how do we get the future Lebron James and Lamar Jacksons more interested in baseball? For that matter how do we draw the future Baker Mayfields to baseball?
Andrew McCutcheon has had multiple interviews about this topic. Not sure where to dig those up though.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-21-2020, 07:13 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Come on, man. The best running back in football, ball on the one yard line, and you're defending a pass play? Your own analysis shows the problem -- too many things can go wrong.
Im a Seahawks fan. That was heartbreaking to watch. My son was 2 or 3, barely knew how to talk, but he knew the word touchdown. As the whole party crowd was crying, he was standing in the middle of us all jumping up and down celebrating shouting "Touchdown! Touchdown! Touchdown!"

I've come to grips with the play over the years by believing that the Patriots player just made a nice play on the ball.