NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: Mike Williams 

I say no...board thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57993&item=4131333965&rd=1

Take care all,

Mike

Old 05-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: Ben

the left edge is probably too rounded to be "EX"...a strong "vg/ex" is more like it. However, I'm sure that if it were raw, most sellers wouldnt hesitate to call it "EX".

Old 05-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: bcornell

Doesn't look like it, but it's only off one grade at most.

Aaron - we need to know the reserve...

Bill

Old 05-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: jay behrens

Definately a generous grade. More like VG/EX with all the corner and edge wear. I've seen much better looking cards get worse grades. But it's still not a Festberg EX.

Jay

Old 05-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: Jimmy Scott Elkins

I did bid on it, because I have a Dockman and would like a Croft's as well. However, my Dockman Matty is ONLY an SGC 50, and looks one grade higher than this one at the very least! Looks like GAI is now more stict (and consistent) than SGC. I have noticed quite a few cards David sells graded by SGC seem to have been given generous grades (no knock to David, as I buy from him frequently - afterall, he didn't grade it!). I wouldn't care to bet a few hundred that GAI would grade this no higher than a 3.5, and more than likely a 3!!!

Old 05-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: leon

it should be a 40 to 50....but no higher than a 50 with those corners...later

Old 05-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: dan

absolutely an EX from the old school before grading companies and you young, rich whimpersnappers. Now, however, my vote is VG/EX.

Ok, since I am taking a beating here I want to change my grades: Old school says Near Mint, now I call it EX+ with no scrapes on back.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: Tom L.

because there's no way that card is higher than VG. (Look at the back view, especially).

Tom

Old 05-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: Aaron M.

Sorry, but I save my retractions for my own purchases. Of course, you are welcome to try my technique if you dare...

Old 05-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: 823dek

not close , even in old school. The fact is that the card looks like it has top beveling...uh something that cannot be done w/ fingers.

A point that Ive made before on severely rounded corners that get graded 10's or 20's, they at some point had to be stop sign trimmed and eventually frayed to the shape of the cut. Cards cannot round quite as bad as 10 or 20's that Ive seen just being handled.

Cards in my era were rubberbanded- before that bicycle spoked and from what Ive heard from some that tobbaco cards era cards were throw against the wall ...sorta boomeranged type of game that those did( supposedly)...could not have rounded that horribly regardless of how many times it could be thrown. Paper just doesn't dissapear on its own...uh ,maybe it shrivels like our skin as we get older ...ha !

Old 05-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: James Verrill

To me - not EX, not even NrEX.

If only one corner were rounded, I'd say VG/EX.

The fact this has several corners showing moderate to heavy rounding, some beveling, and what I define as moderate "surface grime", lead me to call this one VG, no better. I wouldn't even be comfortable calling it VG+.

I am a big fan of SGC, but I think this particular card is overgraded by 1, more liklely 2, grade levels.

JV

Old 05-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: petecld

I consider myself an alumni of Dan's old school and I think card is VG at best.

Old 05-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: JimB

In my humble opinion, this card is VG at best. If the grading companies have provided some standard in grading in the hobby (this particular instance notwithstanding), then they have provided a service to what was a very inconsistent model in the old school hobby.
JimB

Old 05-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: ralph

Interesting how a person on this thread calls this card overgraded. I bought a card from that person which he called VG-EX, which I had graded by SGC as VG. I thought the VG grade was fair, and I bought the card at a price on Ebay assuming it would get a VG grade.
My point being that if this person had this card raw, he would call it as EX, but as a potential buyer he calls it as a lower grade.
BTW, I think this card should had been graded as VG-EX.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: BCD

"ex-cellent" for David who not only gets the grades but he prices realized for cards as well.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: Mike Williams

I disagree...most (if not all) on this board would not grade this card Ex if raw. While I think this card falls into the Vg range, Vg/Ex would more than likely get the nod. Ex is a tough grade to nail down, it's arguably the most subjective grade IMO.

Old 05-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: warshawlaw

I have a lot of T and E cards that look like this and scored vg-ex from PSA, SGC and GAI. IMHO they all seem to vg-ex anything with a decent image, no creases and moderately rounded corners.

Of course, if I sent it in, VG city...

Old 05-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Ex ?

Posted By: Anonymous

Nice card with a nice back but I would have to agree that this card falls in the vg/vg-ex range. Should not have graded higher than a SGC 50.