NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2021, 06:25 AM
Dan Paradis

Default PSA and SGC cases cracked without virtually any damage!

I’m only posting to warn everyone to inspect every slab you buy!

I cracked an SGC with a small screwdriver with virtually no visible damage. I did this a few months ago and unfortunately don’t know if it was a new slab. The card was an SGC 8 Jerry Rice.

I just cracked a NEW LABEL PSA slab by just twisting it back and forth (no tools). and the damage was hardly noticeable.

I just received graded cards back from CSG and HGA and will try to crack a card from each. Just a quick inspection, I don’t see how either can be cracked without damage (same as BGS).

Full disclosure: I am a PSA guy. Only because of their resale value. I’m hoping that one of their “competitors” someday really compete with them.

Also, I’m not looking to get into an argument on who is best, just looking to warn the group to be careful! It is way to easy to place a lower grade card in their slabs and resell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF13A5DF-19C6-4BB3-B15E-E02D07958CFE.jpg (20.1 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg C14678AE-CDD6-43AC-A70D-161FF875BFBD.jpg (18.1 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg 50330A2C-18AF-43B9-8ED7-D16804FAE259.jpg (19.4 KB, 359 views)
Old 09-25-2021, 06:42 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Wow thanks for the heads up

Looks a little to easy and a little to clean

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-25-2021, 07:03 AM
Dan Paradis

Default Additional pic's

One more thing, think of this scenario:

You buy an expensive card on eBay. Looking at scans of the front and the back of the card everything looked fine. You receive the card and notice small damage (see pics below) and suspect a lower graded card was inserted. Let's face it, it's difficult to tell the difference between an 8 and a 10 (at least it is for me). You try and send the card back and the seller claims YOU broke the card out and YOU inserted the lower graded card.

If I wasn't clear in the original post. There is damage on both slabs but very minor and only in one 1/2" - 3/4" location on the slab. The damage is more difficult to detect on the SGC slab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-09-25_8-30-55.jpg (7.6 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-09-25_8-43-48.jpg (10.5 KB, 333 views)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:18 AM
Ben North

Cracking them without damage has always been very easy.

Now putting a card back in them and sealing them is a whole different story. Unless you have a sealer with the correct size mold it is extremely easy to see they have been cracked and resealed.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:26 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Cracking them without damage has always been very easy.

Now putting a card back in them and sealing them is a whole different story. Unless you have a sealer with the correct size mold it is extremely easy to see they have been cracked and resealed.
You couldn’t just carefully put super glue around the edges? Actually, when I get back tomorrow I’ll give that a try and send a picture.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:41 AM
St.eve Sus.sman

Do you think it would be feasible for the TPGs to take a high-res scan or photo of the card after it's slabbed, and post that in their verification registry? So when you look up the cert# you can see the actual card along with the information. I don't know whether this step would add significantly to cost or time, but it would help prevent certain fraudulent activity like the one described above.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:57 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

what about this?
the first 3 are the upper left side. the 4th is straight on of the left side. 5 and 6 are of the opposite edge for comparison
5 and 6 are the right side. .

I bought this from Ebay and I did not notice the slab... but looking at the card itself, I thought 8.5 was a bit generous as there is some corner touches and a mark on top border. this seller just posted another 8.5 immediately after, which i thought strange because you just don't see many SGC OPC Gretzkys...

anyway, the frosting looks odd, but I looked at a few cards that I sent in, and this does appear on other cards that I have sent in. so I am wondering if maybe it is just how they seal the case?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1484.jpg (75.5 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1490.jpg (67.4 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1491.jpg (74.3 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1487.jpg (53.0 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1488.jpg (57.9 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1486.jpg (71.9 KB, 285 views)
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236

Last edited by Oscar_Stanage; 09-25-2021 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:00 AM
James M.

It's a shame the amount of fraud that potentially goes on in our beloved Hobby. My father was duped by a slab cracker many years ago when he purchased a card for me during my childhood. He's none the wiser, and I don't have the heart to tell him either. It really goes to show you that you should only buy from who you trust. I'm very wary of purchasing outside this board or from a handful of collectors/dealers that I've befriended through Facebook.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:02 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA scans all cards over certain dollar amounts, based on the service level. I think SGC started to scan all cards submitted. The level of slab damage and frosting on cards straight from grading companies is inconsistent, whether it be to damage during the slabbing process or shipping them back.

The "new" flip in the OP looks to be the previous generation of flips (gray bar, not lighthouse) which seem to still be used for large bulk submitters who get much cheaper prices, and maybe that's why the slab is not the "current" BGS-like slab which is supposed to not crack without significant evidence.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:14 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
You couldn’t just carefully put super glue around the edges? Actually, when I get back tomorrow I’ll give that a try and send a picture.
No that doesn't work. You can do a cool fingerprint experiment though. If you touch the inside of the slab and try to seal it with super glue your fingerprint will show up really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
PSA scans all cards over certain dollar amounts, based on the service level. I think SGC started to scan all cards submitted. The level of slab damage and frosting on cards straight from grading companies is inconsistent, whether it be to damage during the slabbing process or shipping them back.

The "new" flip in the OP looks to be the previous generation of flips (gray bar, not lighthouse) which seem to still be used for large bulk submitters who get much cheaper prices, and maybe that's why the slab is not the "current" BGS-like slab which is supposed to not crack without significant evidence.
Sure looks like the new lighthouse flip to me. Either way I have cracked out a signed rookie Tony Oliva or Pete Rose, can't remember what one. In the new slab about a year ago with very little damage, it's not that hard.

For me it has gotten to the point as a collector to buy mainly raw cards. There are so many graded card scams going on you have to know as much if not more to safely buy graded. That is if you actually care about the card and not the flip.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:28 AM
Robert Williams

The cases I see all show major frosting that would be a red flag. Anyone remember this beauty Mile High was auctioning off?

Old 09-25-2021, 09:29 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Sure looks like the new lighthouse flip to me.
Ah, maybe it is. The back of the label is right. Maybe it's just the angle of the shot.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:01 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
I’m only posting to warn everyone to inspect every slab you buy!

I cracked an SGC with a small screwdriver with virtually no visible damage. I did this a few months ago and unfortunately don’t know if it was a new slab. The card was an SGC 8 Jerry Rice.
Thanks, I will try this method the next time I free a card. I have been using a set of heavy duty wire cutters to snap off the tops of the cases and then prying them apart. It works, but I have to be careful. I like the twist option.

Cheers.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:23 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
No that doesn't work. You can do a cool fingerprint experiment though. If you touch the inside of the slab and try to seal it with super glue your fingerprint will show up really well.

Sure looks like the new lighthouse flip to me. Either way I have cracked out a signed rookie Tony Oliva or Pete Rose, can't remember what one. In the new slab about a year ago with very little damage, it's not that hard.

For me it has gotten to the point as a collector to buy mainly raw cards. There are so many graded card scams going on you have to know as much if not more to safely buy graded. That is if you actually care about the card and not the flip.
See below. I can't see how anyone would know this slab was tampered with unless they knew to look closely at all of the edges. There are no fingerprints (no reason to touch inside the slab as you noted). I just put a very light amount of super glue to seal it. IMO it's unacceptable for PSA and SGC to not have tamper-resistant slabs like BGS, CSG and HGA. Yet, I pretty much only by PSA graded cards which I understand makes no sense. I check every slab I purchase carefully but also don't buy many cards over $1k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-09-27_10-15-08.jpg (73.7 KB, 94 views)