NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2021, 05:36 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
When I used eBay way back when, I'd have my bookmarked sellers. I collected unusual and rare items (photos, autographs, memorabilia), and I bookmarked them because I knew they were experts (authenticity), would have interesting stuff and were reliable. Others used them similarly and I'm sure the sellers got healthy prices.

However, that's different than selling a readily available 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas for 2x the price.
I think what you are describing illustrates Snowman's theory, but also why it beggars belief for it to be accurate in describing a few dealers astonishingly higher returns on same cards.

Most people who find their way to 'major' ebay sellers do so by happenstance.
They spend ever increasing time on ebay looking at one item which leads to another, and as they build their buy knowledge and indeed add items to their collection, they are exposed more and more to better material and scarcer more desirable and price rich pieces.
The very act of going through this 'learning' process on ebay sets very quickly eBay's greatest strength for any prospective buyer: the ability to find items you want first, but even more importantly with so many contributing sellers you will find quite a number of the same item, and can compare condition and price etc before choosing your buy.

It's this very nature of comparative shopping that makes it hard to believe one eBay Seller could so massively get higher prices than the thousands of competing sellers.
Its audience has already learned how to search on eBay, how that often takes time to find the thing you want, how you can assign a price in your mind you're willing to pay and where that will meet up with how often the item shows and how much you need it...it's all part of the game on eBay.

That card collectors, who know there are other copies at same grade showing up regularly on eBay through different sellers, at prices sometimes 30-40% less, would just blythely say sure, "I'm happy to pay overs, even though I know I might someday want/or have to sell it again, and may not get my money back or make less on it that I otherwise can".....to be what? Brand or seller loyal? Where there's no incentive to be?
I just don't believe it.

More eyes giving greater opportunity to MAXIMIZE prices sure, but this collector space is sooooooo filled with assured professional sellers dispensing so much of this stuff, you'd have to be a nuffy to only buy at a mark up.
Nuffies here and there affecting some prices, sure, I could believe it.
But it's the very steady nature of PWCC and Probstein prices achieved over others that doesn't gel with the nature of the card market.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:51 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

If you guys were to guess what percentage above-average selling prices that PWCC and Probstein get for their auctions, what would you guess?

For example, say a card usually sells for $500 on average, does it sell for a 20% premium at PWCC at $600, or a 5% premium at $525, or does it sell for 100% premium and go for double at $1000? What do you think the "PWCC and/or Probstein effect is"?

<5%
5-10%
10-25%
25-50%
>50%
Old 09-24-2021, 07:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

All PWCC/Probstein cards are not the same. There are at least two distinct groups, those consigned by collectors and smaller dealers, and those consigned by card doctors/larger dealers. I would bet the stats are very different for those two groups.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
All PWCC/Probstein cards are not the same. There are at least two distinct groups, those consigned by collectors and smaller dealers, and those consigned by card doctors/larger dealers. I would bet the stats are very different for those two groups.
This statement is very accurate in my view. PWCC cards did sell for incredibly high prices relative to other cards of the same grade. However, if you look at VCP prices, often PWCC cards go for extremely low prices. Not every card is shilled and prices were lower in some cases because people didn't bid and were afraid they might get run up.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro13 View Post
This statement is very accurate in my view. PWCC cards did sell for incredibly high prices relative to other cards of the same grade. However, if you look at VCP prices, often PWCC cards go for extremely low prices. Not every card is shilled and prices were lower in some cases because people didn't bid and were afraid they might get run up.
At one point, as I wanted to see for myself, I consigned some decent cards including a nice Jim Brown rookie. Too small a sample to mean much, but not one went high and several went really low.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:47 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
At one point, as I wanted to see for myself, I consigned some decent cards including a nice Jim Brown rookie. Too small a sample to mean much, but not one went high and several went really low.
Careful you'll now be labeled in the "just sour grapes" bunch.

Eyeballs and "safe" packaging account for the higher prices.

I can count dozens of times when I've seen an inexperienced seller list a great card, and it sells for fair market.

My guess is the attempt at asking for a "value above the norm" would be countered with " but all the buyers are avoid +/- 10% sales tax due to the vault. So there's that excuse on the table

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-25-2021, 02:47 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think you look at trends rather than specific sales.

It seemed obvious that there was broad shilling going on at MastroNet because of the unusual pricing (a result of bidding) throughout the auction. The bidding/pricing patterns throughout the auction were unlike other auctions.

Last edited by drcy; 09-25-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro13 View Post
I think overall most cards probably weren't shilled, or altered. The problem is how, as a bidder, do you know the difference if you're interested in a particular card? For a while I could actually ask Brent and our little shorthand was, is this a collector or dealer card? And he would tell me. But he eventually decided he didn't want to do that any more -- maybe he was sick of my posts lol.