NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-22-2021, 06:38 PM

Default Ticket Stub collecting ( in the digital age)

anyone have any theories on Ticket Stubs from the pre-digital age ( lets call it pre 2015 ) , increasing in more demand/value, since now its basically 99% phone based?
Old 09-22-2021, 06:59 PM
Jamie

Isn’t that the same thought for photos, I agree on both counts.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
Isn’t that the same thought for photos, I agree on both counts.

ahhh Touche...didnt even think of that
Old 09-23-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
anyone have any theories on Ticket Stubs from the pre-digital age ( lets call it pre 2015 ) , increasing in more demand/value, since now its basically 99% phone based?
FWIW, as a ticket collector of nearly 50 years, I believe that earlier vintage baseball tickets with historical significance will continue to climb in value. Many of these games were lightly attended and other than post season and All-Star games, fans frequently did not save their ticket stubs. They were tossed as trash.

OT, but in my mind there is no doubt that the turning point for baseball ticket collecting as a hobby increased in popularity during the 1998 season during the Mark McGwire-Sammy Sosa HR race. This became the tipping point.

That being said, I'm not certain that this will hold true with recent tickets that are available in great abundance. Re: your pre-2015 tickets.
MLB attendance was higher, people began using e-tickets instead of their hard tickets, leaving many mint condition full tickets. I'm not sure that a large supply will allow for great increases in value unless the hobby has more collectors than supply.

Being scarce doesn't always mean valuable, even though supply may be limited.

At the risk of being accused of being Captain Obvious, as with any other collectibles, a good rule of thumb is:
The more that an item is in demand, the more likely that the value will continue to rise.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-23-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:36 AM
St.eve Sus.sman

I think that in the short term, there will be a nostalgic increase in demand for those of us who remember the thrill of holding a physical ticket and presenting it at the gate, and having the stub as a permanent reminder of the great time we had at the game.

But 100 years from now, when Leon Luckey IV is running this board and "pre-war" refers to World War III and baseball games are all computer simulations and nobody alive has used a physical ticket, I fear that they will be mostly curiosity pieces to be found in a museum. Am I just being old and jaded? Probably. But I'm gonna need you kids to get off my damn lawn!
Old 09-23-2021, 10:54 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

tickets from last year's game and going forward will become increasingly rare. I was lucky enough to obtain a ticket from last year's game and know the process to get a real ticket was lengthy...

- Attend the game in Arlington
- Go to Guest Services during the game
- Ask for a physical ticket to be printed

They have souvenir tickets from last year's game, but they are formally printed and the real tickets from the game have the seating info printed over the perforation. You will see a large price difference between the two tickets.

Real
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23383022411...YAAOSwUAFg3M0i

Souvenir
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20315326983...IAAOSwmRtfkdG1
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 09-23-2021, 11:07 AM

Steve, I suppose your theory is akin to collecting milk bottles.
Interesting to look at, but no longer used. Or as you state, museum pieces.
The question at this point is, are milk bottles in short supply compared to the number of collectors looking for them? If yes, they likely retain or increase in value.
It all boils down to collector interest.

Once the generation that remembers using a ticket to gain admission to an event is gone, will anyone care?
In the case of baseball ticket collecting, I suppose it depends on baseball's overall draw as a collecting hobby. I guess we will see...

By the way, you do need to get those kids off the lawn LOL
Old 09-23-2021, 11:34 AM
St.eve Sus.sman

Scott, you nailed it exactly! The milk bottle analogy is spot-on, and I would also add things like pogs and Beanie Babies. If you were alive in the '90s you remember how huge and coveted these things were. There is probably a very small market for them now, and anybody born after 2000 would probably just throw them in the trash if handed one for free.

Speaking of trash and tickets, about 15 years ago I was going on my daily walk, and for reasons I cannot explain I stopped at a trash bin down the street from where I lived. I passed that bin every day without thinking twice about it. But for some reason something caught the corner of my eye, and I went over and peeked in. There was a stack of old newspapers, and the ones I could see were major headlines (such as JFK's assassination and the moon walk). So I did my best dumpster diving and hopped in and grabbed the stack of papers and took them home. They were all decades old and all very major headlines. But there was one that was just a regular old newspaper, with nothing exciting on the front page. I figured that whoever put together this collection knew what he was doing, so there must be an important story inside. When I opened the first page, a ticket to the 1959 World Series fell out. When I opened the next page, a ticket to the first Super Bowl fell out. To this day I have no idea what drew me to go look into that trash bin, but I would like to believe that perhaps the person who put together that collection passed away and his kids or grandkids figured it was junk and threw it away, and he guided me there from above, knowing that I'd recognize what it was and keep it safe. Which I have ever since. I hope that future generations will do the same.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Scott, you nailed it exactly! The milk bottle analogy is spot-on, and I would also add things like pogs and Beanie Babies. If you were alive in the '90s you remember how huge and coveted these things were. There is probably a very small market for them now, and anybody born after 2000 would probably just throw them in the trash if handed one for free.

Speaking of trash and tickets, about 15 years ago I was going on my daily walk, and for reasons I cannot explain I stopped at a trash bin down the street from where I lived. I passed that bin every day without thinking twice about it. But for some reason something caught the corner of my eye, and I went over and peeked in. There was a stack of old newspapers, and the ones I could see were major headlines (such as JFK's assassination and the moon walk). So I did my best dumpster diving and hopped in and grabbed the stack of papers and took them home. They were all decades old and all very major headlines. But there was one that was just a regular old newspaper, with nothing exciting on the front page. I figured that whoever put together this collection knew what he was doing, so there must be an important story inside. When I opened the first page, a ticket to the 1959 World Series fell out. When I opened the next page, a ticket to the first Super Bowl fell out. To this day I have no idea what drew me to go look into that trash bin, but I would like to believe that perhaps the person who put together that collection passed away and his kids or grandkids figured it was junk and threw it away, and he guided me there from above, knowing that I'd recognize what it was and keep it safe. Which I have ever since. I hope that future generations will do the same.
Great dumpster dive! Wow
Old 09-25-2021, 12:59 PM

What a trash find ! Great story.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:36 AM
St.eve Sus.sman

Thank you, Scott and bb66!
Old 09-26-2021, 08:20 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Steve,

Karma, you were there in that time frame and you're "gut notion" took you to explore

Congrats
Old 09-26-2021, 10:46 PM
St.eve Sus.sman

Thanks, 5-Tool! Luckily karma was on my side that day.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:00 AM
St.eve Sus.sman

This thread inspired me to dig them out of the box I stored them in since I moved. Here they are (wrapped in Saran Wrap -- obviously I'm going to have to find something nicer to protect them).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210928_095329782~01.jpg (72.2 KB, 155 views)
Old 09-28-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
This thread inspired me to dig them out of the box I stored them in since I moved. Here they are (wrapped in Saran Wrap -- obviously I'm going to have to find something nicer to protect them).
LOL Steve!
It's 2021- How about putting them in ticket top loaders instead of Saran Wrap?
C'mon man, you're killing me!
Old 09-28-2021, 01:51 PM
St.eve Sus.sman

Already taken care of. Seriously, I don't even remember doing that. I guess I was so shocked to find them that I put them away immediately and forgot to go back and protect them. Luckily they're still in the same condition I found them, and will stay that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210928_134404077~01.jpg (70.7 KB, 144 views)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:27 PM
D@vid L@dd

Found this recently...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2021, 06:29 PM
Rob

Quote:
UV Saran Wrap?
Old 10-07-2021, 02:40 AM
Jamie

FYI, Christie’s/Hunt just launched an auction with a ton of graded tickets.