NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-07-2021, 05:27 PM
Sean Brennan

Default Shoutout to Marty Sullivan

Giving a shoutout to Marty Sullivan. We have been discussing my old signed 1933 goudey set and how he has a lot of them now. Well Marty as a kind gesture sent me this as a thanks for helping him out with his set. The Joe Hauser I got signed myself in about 1993. With all the 33s I got signed this E120 was the oldest card I was ever able to get signed on my own (i tried to get a T207 Hoff but that card was way tough to find). Anyways I made the mistake of selling it on ebay years ago and now its found its way back to me Also Marty threw in a beautiful Larry Gardner signed E121. It has really made my month! If you see any signed 33's you think Marty might need please let him know. He has a killer collection now and Id love to see his numbers get to the elusive 230 mark.
Thanks again Marty!

signed caramels.jpg
Old 04-07-2021, 05:47 PM
Ben North

It is always nice to read abut collectors helping each other out.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:53 PM

Awesome! Great story
Marty is a good guy & helped me in the past.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-08-2021 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:02 PM

Joe was a very dear friend. I always wanted to find a copy of that card to be signed (same goes for Red Hoff) but these cards were impossible to find where I lived in that archaic, pre-internet era. The closest I got was to have Joe sign the image of that card as it appears in the Classic Baseball Cards coffee table book. I'd still love to own one, but it's not so important that I'd pay very much for a copy. I'll settle for all the other things Joe signed for me, in addition to my tape recorded conversations with him.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:17 PM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Joe was a very dear friend. I always wanted to find a copy of that card to be signed (same goes for Red Hoff) but these cards were impossible to find where I lived in that archaic, pre-internet era. The closest I got was to have Joe sign the image of that card as it appears in the Classic Baseball Cards coffee table book. I'd still love to own one, but it's not so important that I'd pay very much for a copy. I'll settle for all the other things Joe signed for me, in
addition to my tape recorded conversations with him.
Amazing! Yeah I had a hard time finding ot and was always disappointed by it being trimmed. Glad I got it though. Joe seemed very nice and wrote me a letter when I mailed him
Old 04-07-2021, 07:38 PM

He was such a great guy. He was very old when I knew him, but there was something extremely childlike and naive about him. Not negative traits; they added to his charm. He was a first generation American who somehow never lost the slight Germanic accent he must have picked up from his parents and Milwaukee neighborhood at the turn of the century. Such a different kind of guy from a ballplayer's standpoint. Lots of great stories.

When I visited him for the first time, he had just moved into a nursing home. The only possessions he had were some clothes, a photo of him and his wife, his old desk, some postcard photos, Xeroxes, Conlon cards and about 20 Sharpies. He was always trying to give me as many of those signed items as he could, as they represented the only gifts he had to offer. He had saved absolutely no memorabilia or equipment from his career: "That stuff was for playing, not for saving".

He was struggling with senility, but had his clear moments--enough that I managed to get lots of great stories out of him over the years! He was so generous in always insisting upon picking up the tab if I took him to his favorite steak house. The only way I could return the favor was to smuggle some contraband beer and cigars into the nursing home. They let him have his cigars, but not inside, and kept them under lock and key. Getting outside was a struggle with his bad knees and a dilapidated walker with tennis balls on the feet to prevent slipping. (This is the top-notch care you got for $3000/month nearly 30 years ago...). There's nothing better than sharing a few beers and a cigar with someone pushing 100. Better yet if that someone held a HR record not even the Babe could claim! Man, did he hate Ty Cobb, but he loved the Babe. He also had great respect for Walter Johnson.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:55 PM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
He was such a great guy. He was very old when I knew him, but there was something extremely childlike and naive about him. Not negative traits; they added to his charm. He was a first generation American who somehow never lost the slight Germanic accent he must have picked up from his parents and Milwaukee neighborhood at the turn of the century. Such a different kind of guy from a ballplayer's standpoint. Lots of great stories.

When I visited him for the first time, he had just moved into a nursing home. The only possessions he had were some clothes, a photo of him and his wife, his old desk, some postcard photos, Xeroxes, Conlon cards and about 20 Sharpies. He was always trying to give me as many of those signed items as he could, as they represented the only gifts he had to offer. He had saved absolutely no memorabilia or equipment from his career: "That stuff was for playing, not for saving".

He was struggling with senility, but had his clear moments--enough that I managed to get lots of great stories out of him over the years! He was so generous in always insisting upon picking up the tab if I took him to his favorite steak house. The only way I could return the favor was to smuggle some contraband beer and cigars into the nursing home. They let him have his cigars, but not inside, and kept them under lock and key. Getting outside was a struggle with his bad knees and a dilapidated walker with tennis balls on the feet to prevent slipping. (This is the top-notch care you got for $3000/month nearly 30 years ago...). There's nothing better than sharing a few beers and a cigar with someone pushing 100. Better yet if that someone held a HR record not even the Babe could claim! Man, did he hate Ty Cobb, but he loved the Babe. He also had great respect for Walter Johnson.
That's so great! I would have loved to meet ol Unser Choe. Where I lived in central illinois there were no close players. The closest I got was Tony Cuccinello agreed to meet me ona family trip to florida but he went into the hospital and I missed him. I did meet Billy Herman and Leo Durocher at card shows. I remember that Joe Hauser and Joe Sewell were probably the nicest to get ttm.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:08 PM

I knew Tony and Clara as well (actually, most of the Go-Go Sox era coaching staff and their wives were either close friends or at least acquaintances). I'm guessing Tony had suffered a bad fall when you were about to see him: Clara wrote me about it. He was unable to use his hands to sign after that. Nobody has ever heard this until now, but Clara was ghost signing all the mail requests. I believe this was 1994. You would never be able to tell their handwriting apart; I have never in my life seen someone so ably mimic another person's autograph, let alone a lady in her 80's. Of course, they've all routinely passed TPA inspection to this day. I wouldn't blame anyone for not spotting it, as she was truly that adept at his signature. I even have a letter she typed me on a manual typewriter detailing all of this.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:13 PM
Paul

Marty is first rate! And so is his collection!

Follow his collection progress on Instagram @signed1933goudey

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-07-2021, 08:41 PM
Marty Sullivan

Sean,
Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad Hauser and Gardner arrived safe. I know you will take good care of them, as I will with your old signed 33’s.

Scott,
I’m glad you are enjoying the Vander Meer. I wrote to him several times in the early 90’s. He was such a nice guy, but he charged $5 per autograph. I remember asking my mom for that fee several times!

Billy,
Thanks for sharing those stories about Joe! You were lucky to have spent time with him! I wrote to him many times in the early 90’s and he always responded. What a heck of a ballplayer he was!

Paul,
Let me know when you’re ready to send some more T-206’s my way!

Everyone else, be sure to follow me on Instagram @signed1933goudey if you want to see some old signed cardboard I have hanging around!

My best,
Marty S.