NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2021, 11:12 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Default What in the World is this? A cryptocard?

The seller calls this a "digital trading card." So you don't get it in the mail. Has anyone seen anything else like this on eBay? What makes it more valuable than a picture of it on your computer? Isn't that what digital means? I sure don't get it. Check it out . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38421514241...mkcid#viTabs_0
Old 06-11-2021, 11:18 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
The seller calls this a "digital trading card." So you don't get it in the mail. Has anyone seen anything else like this on eBay? What makes it more valuable than a picture of it on your computer? Isn't that what digital means? I sure don't get it. Check it out . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38421514241...mkcid#viTabs_0
Funny, I have seen a bunch of these listings on eBay lately and was thinking about asking here as well. As someone who is highly suspicious of the whole NFT/crypto thing...what does the buyer get for their money? The right to "own" the pixels that make up that particular picture of the card? It's got to be a scam, right?

Last edited by ASF123; 06-11-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:42 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I would call it a scam, but people are eating it up. Topps and Panini have digital cards and trading platforms, so really what is the difference.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:42 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yep, sounds like a crappy Non-Fungible Token. You are buying the slot on the Ethereum blockchain that the card is assigned to, I guess.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:53 AM
Dave

LOL, it's not even a good scam................errrr........I mean scan, of a card.

Quote from the auction:

Quote:
Card number 2 from the 1951 Bowman baseball card set. The listing is a digital item, a digital trading card. There is not a physical trading card to ship; rather, the listing is a digital trading card that requires an Ethereum digital wallet. Please have an Ethereum (ETH) digital wallet in order to accept the transfer.

Shipping costs correspond to the gas prices in order to complete the transfer. We will transfer the item at the gas price closest to the selected shipping method. There is no refund for this listing. Thank you!

Old 06-11-2021, 12:17 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Yep, sounds like a crappy Non-Fungible Token. You are buying the slot on the Ethereum blockchain that the card is assigned to, I guess.
But that's not a thing! It's just something somebody made up!
Old 06-11-2021, 12:17 PM

If you buy this you are basically buying $57.79 of Etherium, with a fee of whatever the gas price is. They do not use an example, if gas price is $2.89 if that means you will only get $54.90 worth of Etherium. I'm presuming they will take this off the top since the shipping is Free.

The Eth wallet doesn't accept anything besides Eth, you can't put a "card" or "digital card" into it. There is no reason why you would buy Eth this way, since if you went onto an exchange or through a brokerage, you can buy $57.79 worth of Eth for $58.38. Numbers used example from Robinhood which has a 1% fee on transactions.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:19 PM
Andrew

Pardon my ignorance, but how do gas prices have anything to do with this stuff?

Last edited by ASF123; 06-11-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:22 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Happy to see this thread as I was going to come here and ask the same thing. Feels 100% like a scam...so much so that it had me thinking am I missing something? Are people really this stupid to pay for this? So ridiculous that I am missing something I'm not understanding?

What a joke...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 06-11-2021, 12:30 PM
Paul Z

As I understand it, gas prices are effectively transactions fees determined by congestion / demand on the blockchain.

Also, in an NFT, you are getting a unique item - even it can be copied thereafter. So - some would say - people's desire to own an original Babe Ruth rookie card as opposed to a reproduction (although it's certainly not an exact parallel). But one (likely of many) of the issues with this Ebay offering is that it is just simply a copy of many similar cards that is registered on the Etherium blockchain. There's no scarcity therein and why would anybody care? I can't imagine.

On the other hand, I do personally see some value in blockchain in cards, but I'll save that for another time.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:38 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
If you buy this you are basically buying $57.79 of Etherium, with a fee of whatever the gas price is. They do not use an example, if gas price is $2.89 if that means you will only get $54.90 worth of Etherium. I'm presuming they will take this off the top since the shipping is Free.

The Eth wallet doesn't accept anything besides Eth, you can't put a "card" or "digital card" into it. There is no reason why you would buy Eth this way, since if you went onto an exchange or through a brokerage, you can buy $57.79 worth of Eth for $58.38. Numbers used example from Robinhood which has a 1% fee on transactions.

Thanks for the explanation.

So is this possibly some guy with a bunch of cryptocurrency, looking for a way to unload it back into real currency?

You say you can "buy $57.79 worth of Eth for $58.38" of real world money.

How much would it cost to transfer $57.38 of Eth, back into real world money?
Old 06-11-2021, 12:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but how do gas prices have anything to do with this stuff?
"Gas" price is the term for the transaction fee to update the blockchain. It's not gasoline, it's a percentage of the sale in Ether based on how heavy the number of transactions are at the time.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
If you buy this you are basically buying $57.79 of Etherium, with a fee of whatever the gas price is.
Disagree. You are buying a slot on the blockchain where the image of the Yogi Berra Bowman card resides. If you sell it to someone else, they get the slot on the blockchain registry and you get the crypto value of whatever you sell it for, be it $5 or $5,000.

Here's a thread from the NBA TopShot version of this. It has links to other blowout threads which explain NFTs a little better.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ght=blockchain

Last edited by swarmee; 06-11-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:09 PM
Andrew

Quote:
"Gas" price is the term for the transaction fee to update the blockchain. It's not gasoline, it's a percentage of the sale in Ether based on how heavy the number of transactions are at the time.
Aha. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:12 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Disagree. You are buying a slot on the blockchain where the image of the Yogi Berra Bowman card resides. If you sell it to someone else, they get the slot on the blockchain registry and you get the crypto value of whatever you sell it for, be it $5 or $5,000.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ght=blockchain
And people would want this "slot"...why, exactly? Because it's a "unique" made-up non-thing? It's only because they must think that someone else will for some reason want the non-thing enough to pay more for it, right?
Old 06-11-2021, 01:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
And people would want this "slot"...why, exactly? Because it's a "unique" made-up non-thing? It's only because they must think that someone else will for some reason want the non-thing enough to pay more for it, right?
Greater fool's theory is definitely one of the reasons it has value.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:06 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

This is a scam to prey on ppl who have heard the hype of NFT's and want to cash in but aren't sure what they are. Buying these is no different than buying a counterfeit physical card. There is no value and never will be value in taking a picture of your card and uploading it as an "NFT". NFT's backed by brands like Topps, Panini and NBA in topshot have value as they have supply and demand with a licence baked into them.

These are just pure scams though