NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2021, 11:48 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default Future of cards shows

Reading a lot of feedback about the Philly show. From what I have read:

1. Very well attended.
2. More modern than vintage compared to most years.
3. Some members said low inventory overall (maybe holding back for the national?).

The National is less than two months away and I am sure it will huge success (as always).

But what about post National? Thoughts on how shows will be in later 2021 and beyond.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:17 PM
Tony Gordon

I have been running a monthly show in Milwaukee for the past seven years, 2021 has been my best year to date. Trends I have observed lately: modern is currently much more popular than vintage. I have more Pokemon dealers at my show than ever before. In total, there are more dealers than ever before. My wait list for dealer tables reached a high point a few months ago of 70 people. Spending and price hikes were crazy earlier in the year but it appears both spending and prices are leveling off. My show, for one, is very healthy and I expect good things in the future. My next show at the Salvation Army Community Center, 8853 S. Howell, in Oak Creek, WI (south suburb of Milwaukee) is July 3. Come check it out if you are in the area!
Old 06-14-2021, 12:49 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I think a lot depends on the United States economic conditions, if inflation is only transitory like Fed Chairman Jerome Powell says then we should be OK. I have a feeling it’s going to be a little more rough than transitory.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:10 PM
Hank Thomas

Based on what I saw and heard at the Philly show, I think this year is going to be gangbusters. The National will be crazy, I think.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
I have been running a monthly show in Milwaukee for the past seven years, 2021 has been my best year to date. Trends I have observed lately: modern is currently much more popular than vintage. I have more Pokemon dealers at my show than ever before. In total, there are more dealers than ever before. My wait list for dealer tables reached a high point a few months ago of 70 people. Spending and price hikes were crazy earlier in the year but it appears both spending and prices are leveling off. My show, for one, is very healthy and I expect good things in the future. My next show at the Salvation Army Community Center, 8853 S. Howell, in Oak Creek, WI (south suburb of Milwaukee) is July 3. Come check it out if you are in the area!
It's a great show, +1
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:28 PM

Primed for a collapse. My predication is that shows will be heavily attended in the immediate short-term, which will likely tempt organizers to lease larger and larger spaces until people lose interest, which they inevitably will because most of the money in the hobby is not coming from collectors. At that point promoters will have overextended themselves and rather than a boom we are likely going to see a bust that will result in even less shows than there typically are.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:33 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Primed for a collapse. My predication is that shows will be heavily attended in the immediate short-term, which will likely tempt organizers to lease larger and larger spaces until people lose interest, which they inevitably will because most of the money in the hobby is not coming from collectors. At that point promoters will have overextended themselves and rather than a boom we are likely going to see a bust that will result in even less shows than there typically are.
You Made a Key Point Here, “most of the money in the Hobby is not coming from the collectors”.

That Statement is 100% Truth.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:33 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I think a lot depends on the United States economic conditions, if inflation is only transitory like Fed Chairman Jerome Powell says then we should be OK. I have a feeling it’s going to be a little more rough than transitory.
This.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:37 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
most of the money in the hobby is not coming from collectors.
Who were all those younger folks packing the room and crowding around tables at Philly? Speculators looking to make a quick buck on a hot hobby? Maybe, but there had to be a fair number of collectors among them.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:38 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Who were all those younger folks packing the room and crowding around tables at Philly? Speculators looking to make a quick buck on a hot hobby? Maybe, but there had to be a fair number of collectors among them.
Yes I don’t know how many times I’ve heard them say dude I’m going to make so much money off this card I can’t believe I got this!!

Collect haha they collect money

Not all but I’m being series.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Maybe one total collector. I was growing up in the 90s. Do you know how many of my friends collected Pokemon cards? Nearly all of them. Do you know how many collected a single card after the initial fad? None of them.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:49 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I sold my advertising company right before COVID and had intended to get back in to show promotion. I was pretty successful back in the day, did a lot with CSA and I understand the marketing part pretty well.

I think there is a great opportunity for the 30-50 table local/regional show with free or inexpensive autograph guests, much like the 80s and 90s. This has been made viable by the increasing fees of eBay and a general uptick in interest. I am planning on promoting a few shows in 2022. We'll see if I'm right.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:50 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

A tremendous amount of "energy" in the hobby, for lack of a better word, is from 20-30 year olds who are into case breaking. The price points for some of these new high end cases (basketball and football particularly) are like $7000 - $10,000. Younger people speculating that they will get the next PSA 9 Zion or Jasson Dominquez card that will fetch $200,000. They are also the ones who have swamped PSA. Including with Pokemon and Magic cards. Once they realize that shows are not an effective way of feeding their gambling jones, they will move on.

I've been fascinated with the breaking scene for a while and have dipped my toe in it a bit. It's amazing to me when I see a personal break of some new football release where some dude has paid $6,000 for a box of ten cards. The odds of making a profit on that box is minuscule. But to each his own. I just shutter to think whose dropping $6,000 to take a shot like that. If I paid $6,000 and ended up with $350 in cards I would likely be in a pretty bad mood for a while.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-14-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:51 PM
Hank Thomas

OK, I give in, you guys seem very sure of yourselves. This is all musical chairs and absolutely nobody is actually collecting any of it, is that right? I don't even know what Pokemon is, but I guess it's made a comeback for a while, anyway. At least these folks are learning how to be good American entrepreneurs--cash in, make a quick buck, and the devil to the hindmost!
Old 06-14-2021, 01:54 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I am planning on promoting a few shows in 2022. We'll see if I'm right.
According to the consensus here so far, nobody will be coming to your shows by then.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:57 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
A tremendous amount of "energy" in the hobby, for lack of a better word, is from 20-30 year olds who are into case breaking. The price points for some of these new high end cases (basketball and football particularly) are like $7000 - $10,000. Younger people speculating that they will get the next PSA 9 Zion or Jasson Dominquez card that will fetch $200,000. They are also the ones who have swamped PSA. Including with Pokemon and Magic cards. Once they realize that shows are not an effective way of feeding their gambling jones, they will move on.

I've been fascinated with the breaking scene for a while and have dipped my toe in it a bit. It's amazing to me when I see a personal break of some new football release where some dude has paid $6,000 for a box of ten cards. The odds of making a profit on that box is minuscule. But to each his own. I just shutter to think whose dropping $6,000 to take a shot like that. If I paid $6,000 and ended up with $350 in cards I would likely be in a pretty bad mood for a while.
I think it’s the thrill of the rush, kinda like sports book and gambling.

Can be Fun But Can Also Lose You a Lot of Cash Quick.

More People are profiting off it selling these breaks not buying to them.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:58 PM

All due respect but this cycle has repeated itself more than once in recent memory. You don't recognize Pokemon, which should be an indicator of the bust ahead.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:59 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Maybe one total collector. I was growing up in the 90s. Do you know how many of my friends collected Pokemon cards? Nearly all of them. Do you know how many collected a single card after the initial fad? None of them.
Just curious, why were they buying them in the first place? Because their friends were? Looking to make a quick buck? So there was no inherent appeal to these things at all? Sorry, but it sounds like a generation of sheep to me, that's really depressing.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Just curious, why were they buying them in the first place? Because their friends were? Looking to make a quick buck? So there was no inherent appeal to these things at all? Sorry, but it sounds like a generation of sheep to me, that's really depressing.
The appeal was that they were new and there was a Gameboy game to go along with them. Not to mention the gimmicky motto "Collect them all!".

Today, people will pay $100K plus for a PSA 10 Charizard. That is the total appeal of Pokemon cards now. What you might be able to sell a card you might get for. It isn't limited to Pokemon either. That is the same appeal that all major sports releases play to.

How else do explain why a hobby box of UFC cards costs over a thousand dollars? Nobody likes UFC that much.

Last edited by packs; 06-14-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
My kids played with Pokemon and later Magic cards for hours and hours and hours. Of course once you actually played with these cards, good bye any chance at submitting them for any kind of high grade.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:08 PM

I don't even see how kids can become new collectors now. What 10 year old is walking around with $300 to spend on a Bowman hobby box? And why would they want to? So they can maybe get a card of a guy who plays in the minor leagues?

The only money in the hobby is from bored adults who don't care about collecting cards and have no staying power.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:10 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
All due respect but this cycle has repeated itself more than once in recent memory. You don't recognize Pokemon, which should be an indicator of the bust ahead.
I've been going to and setting up at shows for 40 years, I've seen all the cycles repeat themselves, just never paid much attention because I had no interest. Beanie Babies, Pogs, Pokemon, inserts, refractors, whatever, they all passed by and were a part of the scene at shows but not part of my scene, there was no reason for me to investigate them further. I guess this was just more of that on a larger scale at Philly, and things will get back to their old sleepy selves before too long. At least there will be a lot of lessons learned by these kids on both sides of the ledger. Does this generation collect anything? Did your generation collect anything they still care about? If not, I find that incredibly sad, but to each generation their own.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I've been going to and setting up at shows for 40 years, I've seen all the cycles repeat themselves, just never paid much attention because I had no interest. Beanie Babies, Pogs, Pokemon, inserts, refractors, whatever, they all passed by and were a part of the scene at shows but not part of my scene, there was no reason for me to investigate them further. I guess this was just more of that on a larger scale at Philly, and things will get back to their old sleepy selves before too long. At least there will be a lot of lessons learned by these kids on both sides of the ledger. Does this generation collect anything? Did your generation collect anything they still care about? If not, I find that incredibly sad, but to each generation their own.
I'm from my generation and I collect cards. But it didn't matter when I was born. I was going to do it anyway. We would all probably say the same thing and we are all similarly aware of how small our circle is. It will always be that small. If you remember that you won't get burned.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Eric Perry

I, for one, am glad there are such a variety of people in the hobby. If everyone collected what I collect, and did so the same way, the hobby (for me) would be even more expensive than it is now.

Some twenty-something is spending hundreds or thousands for their spot in a case break? If they can afford it and they're having fun, I see nothing wrong with it. Plus, they're not competing with me for T206, '56 Topps, and Mantle/Jackie/Clemente/Aaron/Mays.

Are half (or more) of these newcomers going to be gone in a year? Quite possibly. However, those who remain will be the future of the hobby...just like people my age were back in the 80s.

The landscape has changed over the past year. I've embraced it. Now, more than ever, I'm guided by a simple philosophy:

Collect what you like.
Like what you collect.
Leave the rest for everyone else.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-14-2021, 02:13 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Yeah, maybe I'm cynical, but when I see these heartwarming stories like "Look at Little Johnny at his neighborhood card show negotiating for a card . . . ." I'm dubious of the whole thing. I have a brother and friends who teach middle school and high school. These kids aren't into baseball cards believe me. It's all computers and all on the phone stuff. Average 12 year old is about as excited about baseball cards as he is for the next Bruce Springsteen album.

Quote:
I don't even see how kids can become new collectors now. What 10 year old is walking around with $300 to spend on a Bowman hobby box? And why would they want to? So they can maybe get a card of a guy who plays in the minor leagues?

The only money in the hobby is from bored adults who don't care about collecting cards and have no staying power.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-14-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:14 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
According to the consensus here so far, nobody will be coming to your shows by then.
I am often wrong, but I think this is a good bet. In addition to fees, the high cost of postage have made selling the moderately priced cards difficult via on-line selling.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:16 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
My kids played with Pokemon and later Magic cards for hours and hours and hours. Of course once you actually played with these cards, good bye any chance at submitting them for any kind of high grade.
Playing with and collecting these things seem like two totally different things to me, although we did play with our baseball cards, too. So nobody actually collected Pokemon, they bought them to play the game? Are they buying them now to play with or collect?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:19 PM

It's no different than baseball cards. People bought them because they liked Pokemon. When they got older, they found out their cards were worth money to a small fraction of people who still collected them.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:20 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

...I was growing up in the 90s...
I find that truly surprising, no offense intended.

Your Net54 persona strikes me as more of a "get off my lawn" retiree than someone in their 40s.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-14-2021, 02:20 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I'm from my generation and I collect cards. But it didn't matter when I was born. I was going to do it anyway. We would all probably say the same thing and we are all similarly aware of how small our circle is. It will always be that small. If you remember that you won't get burned.
Admit it, you're a throwback!

Last edited by Hankphenom; 06-14-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:22 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Playing with and collecting these things seem like two totally different things to me, although we did play with our baseball cards, too. So nobody actually collected Pokemon, they bought them to play the game? Are they buying them now to play with or collect?
I suspect that a fair number of 30 year olds who grew up playing with them as teens and who have made boku bux in their Silicon Valley start up or on Bitcoin now find them to be a source of great nostalgia and something they will pay stupid money to collect.

Not a whole lot different than someone who grew up in the 60s and played with baseball cards and now has major disposable income will pay $500,000 to collect a Mickey Mantle card.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:23 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I am often wrong, but I think this is a good bet. In addition to fees, the high cost of postage have made selling the moderately priced cards difficult via on-line selling.
I hope you're right. I got so excited at Philly, but the younger guys here have brought me back to earth!
Old 06-14-2021, 02:26 PM

I don't mean to be negative. I've just seen it before. I'm also frustrated by the infiltration of the hobby by non-hobby people, which is not a good thing in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:27 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:

Are you kidding me?! When you say: " Most of the money in the hobby is not coming from collectors". Maybe you just described the Pokemon craze, the new Basketball & Football rookie investment, and overspending on modern cards. But, have you considered Vintage and the people who collect Pre War? It's the exact opposite of what you just described. Maybe that's what you meant, knowing that people who have collected for years have the staying power & resources. It didn't sound right.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:27 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I suspect that a fair number of 30 year olds who grew up playing with them as teens and who have made boku bux in their Silicon Valley start up or on Bitcoin now find them to be a source of great nostalgia and something they will pay stupid money to collect.

Not a whole lot different than someone who grew up in the 60s and played with baseball cards and now has major disposable income will pay $500,000 to collect a Mickey Mantle card.
Except that the guys here are saying nobody was actually collecting Pokemon at Philly, the crowd was there to speculate in those and everything else. That strikes me as different from the proven staying power and cross-generational appeal so far of baseball cards, although who knows if that will maintain or for how long?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:32 PM
DR
David R@tliff

To add to some of the sentiment around the Philly show, the Tristar show in Houston the weekend of June 4-6 was highest attended in maybe 10+ years (?), and there really were no autograph guests that would "move the needle".

Had my best show since I began "dealing" around 4-5 years ago. There was plenty of energy in the room, as someone earlier pointed out about the hobby in general. One change at this show - if you didn't have a reseller permit, you weren't SUPPOSED to be able to get a table. That's something that I think most promoters should actually consider implementing to (1) cut down on the number of "dealers" and (2) ensure that the dealers aren't just flippers or fly by night one timers. This in turn should help limit the number of tables, which I think is actually a good thing for an event, but realize it's not necessarily in the best interest of the promoter. Good promoters figure out how to make a good balance of that so there is some "value" to actually having the table.

I would say that a lot of the early "action" was still between the dealers, but I think that's true of just about every show and that's not different today than it was for the past several years. However, saying those people aren't "collectors" I think is not entirely accurate. What I'm finding is most of them collect something (besides dollar bills), some are just most focused on what they keep and they see the flipping as a means to get the funds - my own activity for the past several years is not far off from that. I had to start buying and selling more modern cards in an effort to get funds together for my vintage purchasing. It's not net zero to me (I spend more than I bring in), but that supplement "feeds the beast".

I keep hearing plenty of doom and gloom from people for all kinds of reasons, inflation, crypto crashes, lack of stimulus, insert any reason you want to. I actually think that's mostly coming from collectors who are irritated by higher prices for things they want to buy, and on the other side the flippers who may be trapped in cards at higher prices as in the short run seems like modern especially is coming down. Pretty much everything is still quite a bit higher today than it was a year ago, and I believe that has as much to do with interest as anything else. Show attendance sure sounds to be proving that out from what I've seen personally and heard about other shows. I expect the National should probably confirm it, as most are expecting record attendance there as well.

It seems to me that at the shows, and online, the interest in the hobby is maybe as high as it's ever been. That's a good thing. More interest should translate into better things across the board, but since the space is unregulated in virtually every sense, there will be bad actors and fly by nights who just pass through. Tell me how that's different than 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago...And yes, Panini and Topps will overproduce (already have) which will create some fluctuations in pricing. None of this is new.

There's been overwhelmingly too much focus on the prices and values of cards in the past year, versus the actual "art" of the cards themselves. I can assure you that the nostalgia factor is as real as it gets at these shows, and while that's something that will likely get quenched it's nowhere near run it's course yet. The hobby needs to continue to educate better and try to move away from just these headlines of values if it's going to sustain. I think there are enough people who know that who will find their space in it and help things move in a positive direction for everyone. There's plenty of opportunity out there still, and some good new tools and sites that actually make collecting and education more accessible. Again, those are positives that the hobby needs more of.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycee View Post
Are you kidding me?! When you say: " Most of the money in the hobby is not coming from collectors". Maybe you just described the Pokemon craze, the new Basketball & Football rookie investment, and overspending on modern cards. But, have you considered Vintage and the people who collect Pre War? It's the exact opposite of what you just described. Maybe that's what you meant, knowing that people who have collected for years have the staying power & resources. It didn't sound right.
I know that because I collect pre-war and there's no other reason to collect it unless you love it. You're not going to get a Babe Ruth Goudey for $100. You will spend because you have to have whatever you're buying.

But I don't believe that is where the majority of the money being injected into the hobby is coming from. Speculators are where the money is coming from. Modern is generating the money. Online exclusives are generating the money. People come to the show in person to buy what they couldn't online. But it's in the interest of speculating, not collecting cards. Do you think a majority of people who buy a box of 2021 Bowman are doing so to complete the set?

Last edited by packs; 06-14-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:34 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
I don't mean to be negative. I've just seen it before. I'm also frustrated by the infiltration of the hobby by non-hobby people, which is not a good thing in my opinion.
Not picking on you, but this is part of what I'm talking about. If the hobby is going to sustain, it needs more interest and more people. Those people are by default currently "non-hobby" people, right?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Not picking on you, but this is part of what I'm talking about. If the hobby is going to sustain, it needs more interest and more people. Those people are by default currently "non-hobby" people, right?
I wasn't talking about all people. I was talking about most. If you are a serious collector you are aware of how small your circle is. That circle will always be that small. There will be someone to take your place but there won't be a waiting list.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:38 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Totally agree. If everyone in the hobby was a 65 year old guy arguing about tobacco card backs and reminiscing about putting cards in the spokes of their Schwinn bicycle in the summer of 1969 it would certainly get a little stale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I, for one, am glad there are such a variety of people in the hobby. If everyone collected what I collect, and did so the same way, the hobby (for me) would be even more expensive than it is now.

Some twenty-something is spending hundreds or thousands for their spot in a case break? If they can afford it and they're having fun, I see nothing wrong with it. Plus, they're not competing with me for T206, '56 Topps, and Mantle/Jackie/Clemente/Aaron/Mays.

Are half (or more) of these newcomers going to be gone in a year? Quite possibly. However, those who remain will be the future of the hobby...just like people my age were back in the 80s.

The landscape has changed over the past year. I've embraced it. Now, more than ever, I'm guided by a simple philosophy:

Collect what you like.
Like what you collect.
Leave the rest for everyone else.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:41 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I don't know. What's the percentage of people who are "collecting" Willie Mays rookie cards versus those "speculating" in them? I have no idea. Seems the vast majority of people now are trying to collect something that will appreciate in value. I have no issue with that.

Quote:
Except that the guys here are saying nobody was actually collecting Pokemon at Philly, the crowd was there to speculate in those and everything else. That strikes me as different from the proven staying power and cross-generational appeal so far of baseball cards, although who knows if that will maintain or for how long?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:48 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
I agree with this 100% but for some reason a select group would rather just always wish for the worst and focus on the negative. There are far more collectors than some of these people like to pretend just like some of the "true collectors" seem to worry about value more than they let on. Hobby looks strong will there be a pull back of course there always is no market is constantly rising but I think we don't end up worse than we were before the pandemic just seems illogical.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:17 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Mmm

Quote:
Yeah, maybe I'm cynical, but when I see these heartwarming stories like "Look at Little Johnny at his neighborhood card show negotiating for a card . . . ." I'm dubious of the whole thing. I have a brother and friends who teach middle school and high school. These kids aren't into baseball cards believe me. It's all computers and all on the phone stuff. Average 12 year old is about as excited about baseball cards as he is for the next Bruce Springsteen album.
That is totally untrue. My 3 11 year old grandson's are avid collectors, as well as my 12 year old and 24 year old grandson's. Every kid on their Little League team collect's baseball cards. They go to card shows and card shops and trade with their friends. The only downside is that they can't go to a store to buy packs because the "investors" have cleaned out all of the stores. Even the online products at Wal-Mart have tripled in price during the past few months.

As far as Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic The Gathering, etc., they have been around for over 20 years. There are many tournaments and many young people getting together to play each other. Take a look at the tens of 1000's of these cards on the TCG player website and the 100's of people selling cards for a couple of bucks or less.

And, I think that overall, disregarding the very limited number of people who are buying the expensive cards, the heart of the collecting market and the lions share of collecting money is coming from the hard core collector's.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:26 PM

I think the kids (with all the money you see at the shows) are just the children of these wealthy non-collector guys, who recently have been buying the record breaking Michael Jordan rookies, Trout rookies, Lebron rookies, etc,... and they give their sons $20,000 to make it grow.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:28 PM

Even the board has been touched by the non-collector draw of the hobby. How many threads have there been over the last year speculating on the long-term value of certain cards or posts asking what cards will appreciate over others, etc.

Last edited by packs; 06-14-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:40 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I don't know. What's the percentage of people who are "collecting" Willie Mays rookie cards versus those "speculating" in them? I have no idea. Seems the vast majority of people now are trying to collect something that will appreciate in value. I have no issue with that.
Me, either, if that's the case, and likewise I have no clue what the % is between collectors and speculators, plus the crossover factor--how many collectors may be finding their wallets loosened to add to their collection by the idea that in general it has proven to be a good investment as well?
Old 06-14-2021, 04:03 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
It's a great show, +1
I second this. I plan to be there in July, the first show I have attended since all this "stuff" started last year
Old 06-14-2021, 05:13 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Observations

I can tell you I was impressed to have spoken with at least about a dozen younger collectors -20 somethings between Chantilly and Philly that were looking to get out of modern and into vintage!! I don't subscribe to the "doom and gloom" thesis. Prices on some of the big stars are already leveling off from their short decline after the long run up. People are buying these cards (I know because I have sold a number of them). I suspect shows for the next 2-6 months are going to be very strong and will drop off as post Covid life gets back to normal, but will still be better attended than pre Covid.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:10 PM

I agree with what packs is saying and that's pretty much what I see. I don't know if most people are speculators but the number of speculators/investors to collector seems to be out of whack.

That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as there are more people in the hobby except I think a large majority of those are in it because they saw a way to make easy money and when it is no longer easy, they leave.

You saw prices being run up for modern graded base cards because investors thought they could make quick money flipping them. They would even say buy the base cards because they are liquid. Well, they are only liquid as long as demand outweighs the supply. That currently is not the case for most modern.

People who bought Lebron, Jordan, Kobe and a myriad of other modern cards in February and March for the most part got crushed. Factor in some if not quite a few funded their buying with debt and you got some people who learned a hard lesson.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I can tell you I was impressed to have spoken with at least about a dozen younger collectors -20 somethings between Chantilly and Philly that were looking to get out of modern and into vintage!! I don't subscribe to the "doom and gloom" thesis. Prices on some of the big stars are already leveling off from their short decline after the long run up. People are buying these cards (I know because I have sold a number of them). I suspect shows for the next 2-6 months are going to be very strong and will drop off as post Covid life gets back to normal, but will still be better attended than pre Covid.
There’s a pretty decent outfit of us younger collectors on Facebook. Seems to just be another medium.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.