NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 10:52 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Quote:
Right! And omitted from his post is the fact that most ERCOT executives didn't even live in Texas (or the US for that matter).
I assume they just enjoy the freedom that deregulation gives them to maximize profits while foregoing upkeep? I'm not paying close attention, but I'm willing to bet none of the people who got rich off this system for years will have to pay up, just the taxpayers.
I probably should just shut up, but I feel compelled to point out that ERCOT is neither a for-profit corporation nor the government (as someone else implied.) It is a 501(c)4 organization made up of paying members, which includes over 100 companies from various segments of the energy sector. ERCOT owns no assets. It's member companies, however, do and they are free to invest in, and upgrade, their systems as they see fit.

ERCOT isn't blameless here, but their heads aren't the only ones that should be rolling around on the ground.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:51 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
I probably should just shut up, but I feel compelled to point out that ERCOT is neither a for-profit corporation nor the government (as someone else implied.) It is a 501(c)4 organization made up of paying members, which includes over 100 companies from various segments of the energy sector. ERCOT owns no assets. It's member companies, however, do and they are free to invest in, and upgrade, their systems as they see fit.

ERCOT isn't blameless here, but their heads aren't the only ones that should be rolling around on the ground.
Thanks for the clarification
Old 04-11-2021, 12:11 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Many lawsuits have been filed against ERCOT and the electrical providers. As far as I know, none have been filed against the State of Texas.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:27 PM
A.J. Johnson

You read a lot about the exodus of Californians to Texas including some big companies that have recently relocated there. But rarely do you hear anything about what it's like once people get there. I recently read this opinion piece in the business insider about an executive who moved his family from the bay area of CA to a town just outside Austin (btw I'm a big fan of Austin and go every year to sxsw). The article is a great counter punch to the CA is horrible narrative and puts an exclamation point to the phrase the grass is not always greener...

(first oped behind paywall) https://www.businessinsider.com/movi...-i-knew-2021-1

(follow up oped free) https://www.businessinsider.com/bret...rce=reddit.com
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 04-11-2021, 02:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
You read a lot about the exodus of Californians to Texas including some big companies that have recently relocated there. But rarely do you hear anything about what it's like once people get there. I recently read this opinion piece in the business insider about an executive who moved his family from the bay area of CA to a town just outside Austin (btw I'm a big fan of Austin and go every year to sxsw). The article is a great counter punch to the CA is horrible narrative and puts an exclamation point to the phrase the grass is not always greener...

(first oped behind paywall) https://www.businessinsider.com/movi...-i-knew-2021-1

(follow up oped free) https://www.businessinsider.com/bret...rce=reddit.com
Austin is similar to California. (And I didn't read either article.) Many, if not most, Texans feel this way.

Back to the mask issue. I personally think we (Texans) have opened back up, as much as we have, too soon. Masks shouldn't be a political issue. They are a health and safety issue. Just my opinions on this stuff.

Last edited by Leon; 04-11-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:52 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Austin is similar to California. (And I didn't read either article.) Many, if not most, Texans feel this way.
+1
Old 04-11-2021, 03:29 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Back to the mask issue. I personally think we (Texans) have opened back up, as much as we have, too soon. Masks shouldn't be a political issue. They are a health and safety issue. Just my opinions on this stuff.

Texas needs to get its act together. I have tickets to see Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams at the Moody Theater in Austin the first weekend in August. If y'all screw it up for me, I will be quite cross.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:13 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
You cherry pick one natural disaster regarding TX as your example? The state didn't force anyone to go without power...the weather did. How exactly does a state control the weather? How did they force their residents to not have generators? (I have 2). Did I miss when they would not allow residents to leave???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CA the state who has rolling black outs? LOL. I see people whining all the time about the heat and no power for AC in CA.
Are you arguing against yourself or just a hypocrite? Texas is excused because the weather caused its power problems. California is a failed state because of its rolling blackouts ... caused by the heat (i.e., weather).

I do see that one of your solutions is for each of the approximate 10 million households in Texas to have their own generator. [You must have stocks in generator companies ] So, where do the folks who live in apartments put their generators? If you rent a house, I guess you just lug your generator with you whenever you move? How do people power their generators when the fuel supply is limited because of the crisis causing their use? Keep in mind that one of the main problems during the freeze was reduced natural gas supply because of frozen equipment.

I see that another one of your solutions is for people to leave Texas. Is that what you do when you're not happy with your state government or even the federal government. You simply pack your bags and leave? Are you asking the people who stormed the capital in January why they don't just leave the country?

Go back and read earlier posts. In 1989 after power blackouts in Texas it was recommended that companies winterize their equipment. They didn't. In 2011 after power blackouts in Texas it was recommended that companies winterize their equipment. They didn't.

The Texas government could force power companies and natural gas companies to winterize their equipment (like federal guidelines require other US gas and power companies to do). But the Texas government is more concerned about letting companies do what ever they want instead of looking out for the well being of its citizens. Is that really doing things right?

Time will tell if the third time is the charm.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:08 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
The Texas government could force power companies and natural gas companies to winterize their equipment (like federal guidelines require other US gas and power companies to do). But the Texas government is more concerned about letting companies do what ever they want instead of looking out for the well being of its citizens. Is that really doing things right?

Time will tell if the third time is the charm.
Do government mandates and regulations prevent the problems California experiences with its electrical grid (and water supply) all too frequently?

Some people think that whatever goes wrong in this country, from crime to natural disasters, can be fixed through government regulation.

Last edited by Mark17; 04-11-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:22 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Some people think that whatever goes wrong in this country, from crime to natural disasters, can be fixed through government regulation.
Sad, but true. Some people are conditioned to think that the government can solve all the problems.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Do government mandates and regulations prevent the problems California experiences with its electrical grid (and water supply) all too frequently?
California was one of the first states to deregulate it's gas and electric markets in 1995.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:08 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Texas needs to get its act together. I have tickets to see Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams at the Moody Theater in Austin the first weekend in August. If y'all screw it up for me, I will be quite cross.
A Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams sighting on Net54!! Could this be the first time? I believe this thread has been redeemed.

Thank you Jeff.

1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 04-11-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:57 PM
Frank Wakefield

Lucinda puts an amazing amount of personal energy, passion, and angst into her music. I hope you get to see her.

Charlie Pride... I think he was a part owner of the Texas Rangers. I think he had hunkered down and was being careful about COVID. Then, he went to Nashville, when asked to attend for the Lifetime Achievement Award. He died of COVID complications about 3 weeks after his fateful trip to Nashville.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:03 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Lucinda puts an amazing amount of personal energy, passion, and angst into her music. I hope you get to see her.

Charlie Pride... I think he was a part owner of the Texas Rangers. I think he had hunkered down and was being careful about COVID. Then, he went to Nashville, when asked to attend for the Lifetime Achievement Award. He died of COVID complications about 3 weeks after his fateful trip to Nashville.
"Kiss an Angel good mornin', and love er like the devil when you get back home"

RIP Charley Pride, the Jackie Robinson of Country Music.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-11-2021, 09:12 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
A Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams sighting on Net54!! Could this be the first time? I believe this thread has been redeemed.

Thank you Jeff.

They got the headliner backwards there.

-
Old 04-12-2021, 07:04 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Sad, but true. Some people are conditioned to think that the government can solve all the problems.
Equally sad are the people who are conditioned to think that the government is the root of all the problems.

What's your point?

1989 cold weather caused power problems. In order to avoid those problems, it was recommended that the companies winterize their equipment. In essence, they were asked to "please" do it. Nothing was done.

2011 cold weather caused power problems. In order to avoid those problems, it was recommended that the companies winterize their equipment. In essence, they were asked to "pretty please" do it. Nothing was done.

2021 cold weather caused power problems. Should we now ask them "pretty please with sugar on it" to fix the problem?

If you don't want to regulate them, what's your solution?
Old 04-12-2021, 07:32 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Equally sad are the people who are conditioned to think that the government is the root of all the problems.
They're not the root of all the problems but, without a doubt, they definitely create more problems than they resolve.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 04-12-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:36 AM

This thread sucks.

We rarely lose power for long here in Maryland - go East Coast!
Old 04-12-2021, 09:26 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
They're not the root of all the problems but, without a doubt, they definitely create more problems than they resolve.
Not sure about this...
Old 04-12-2021, 09:56 AM
Brad

Quote:
Are you arguing against yourself or just a hypocrite? Texas is excused because the weather caused its power problems. California is a failed state because of its rolling blackouts ... caused by the heat (i.e., weather).

I do see that one of your solutions is for each of the approximate 10 million households in Texas to have their own generator. [You must have stocks in generator companies ] So, where do the folks who live in apartments put their generators? If you rent a house, I guess you just lug your generator with you whenever you move? How do people power their generators when the fuel supply is limited because of the crisis causing their use? Keep in mind that one of the main problems during the freeze was reduced natural gas supply because of frozen equipment.

I see that another one of your solutions is for people to leave Texas. Is that what you do when you're not happy with your state government or even the federal government. You simply pack your bags and leave? Are you asking the people who stormed the capital in January why they don't just leave the country?

Go back and read earlier posts. In 1989 after power blackouts in Texas it was recommended that companies winterize their equipment. They didn't. In 2011 after power blackouts in Texas it was recommended that companies winterize their equipment. They didn't.
My point about the weather is that it isn't controlled by the state....not hard to figure that out. Neither TX or CA has anything to do with the weather.

Your issue with the power companies in TX was a 1 or 2 times historical event. I honestly do not live there or know enough about what the state did or didn't do. Rolling black outs seem to happen a lot in CA....reinforcing my point with one example as to why CA is a mess in comparison to TX.

I didn't say leave the state forever...did I? Residents who did not have generators or another source of heat could have left for a period of time and then come back. Just one solution that a portion of the population could have considered. My future son in law, from OH, happens to be stationed at a base in TX. His barracks were not heated or insulated so he put on more clothes Trying to deflect the conversation to the capitol march does nothing for your argument...but nice try

Another solution would be to purchase or already have a generator. Compared to losing thousands of $'s worth of venison and fish in multiple freezers, in my case, the cost of a generator is minor. For anyone who has a generator, I promise you, the vast majority have enough fuel stored to get through many days without power. It doesn't make any sense to have a gen w/out fuel now does it?

My entire point has always been that the state of TX has things figured out. Allowing full attendance at sporting events is a step forward and the correct call. You changing the narrative to a single weather event is a stretch.

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 04-13-2021, 06:31 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
My entire point has always been that the state of TX has things figured out. Allowing full attendance at sporting events is a step forward and the correct call. You changing the narrative to a single weather event is a stretch.
And your entire point is not correct. From that bastion of liberal thought, the US News & World Report:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Texas is ranked 31st of the 50 states "(m)easuring outcomes for citizens using more than 70 metrics." Apparently, US News thinks 30 states have things figured out better than Texas.

I guess you also missed the earlier post that pointed out that Texas receives around 19.5 BILLION dollars from the Fed in excess of what Texas sends to the Fed. Texas depends on the Fed, to the tune of $19.5 billion, to maintain its current standard of living. How is that "Texas has things figured out," unless you consider being a welfare leach having things figured out?

One thing I think all Texans can agree on is that Texas is #1 in BBQ. Sorry all you wanna be BBQ states, but that is a fact.

Plus, we have bluebonnets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg use.jpg (79.2 KB, 337 views)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:01 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
And your entire point is not correct. From that bastion of liberal thought, the US News & World Report:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Texas is ranked 31st of the 50 states "(m)easuring outcomes for citizens using more than 70 metrics." Apparently, US News thinks 30 states have things figured out better than Texas.

I guess you also missed the earlier post that pointed out that Texas receives around 19.5 BILLION dollars from the Fed in excess of what Texas sends to the Fed. Texas depends on the Fed, to the tune of $19.5 billion, to maintain its current standard of living. How is that "Texas has things figured out," unless you consider being a welfare leach having things figured out?

One thing I think all Texans can agree on is that Texas is #1 in BBQ. Sorry all you wanna be BBQ states, but that is a fact.

Plus, we have bluebonnets.
If it's so bad, what is keeping you here? You just like to complain, right?

Yeah, gotta love the bluebonnets in Texas. But you know what you have to watch out for with bluebonnets as well as Net54? Slimy snakes like yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snakes.jpg (80.6 KB, 312 views)
Old 04-13-2021, 09:24 AM

Default Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
I read a great analysis somewhere about what would actually happen to Texas economically if it did secede, and yes, it was the electrical grid fiasco times a thousand.

And yes, California does send more $$ than it receives...
Quote:

Yeah, gotta love the bluebonnets in Texas. But you know what you have to watch out for with bluebonnets as well as Net54? Slimy snakes like yourself.
Touché
Old 04-13-2021, 10:19 AM
Michael

Quote:

Who's complaining? I'm just pointing out the stupidity of saying Texas has it figured out. (Okay, I was complaining about the number of people moving here. But I'm not alone in that regard.)

Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. Jean-Jacques Rousseau

When people start hurling insults at you, you know their minds are closed and there's no point in debating. Judith Martin
Old 04-13-2021, 12:03 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
We ain't skeered in Texas. Living life to the fullest with our masks on.
Restaurants open, malls open, bars open, movie theaters open, sporting events open...Schools have been open all year. Things are BAU in Texas. It's good to be relatively normal again.

Still no sign of the mythical, superspreader event.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Exactly.
Please do it in poor driving conditions at high speed around a number of large and solid brick walls, and preferably with the car loaded with like-minded simpletons.
How does one connect an illegal activity with a legal one? Flimsy comparison
Old 04-13-2021, 01:17 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

With restaurants, bars, hotels, salons, theatres and retail establishments being crippled here (and going out of business at alarming rates), you have to wonder at some point whether the lockdowns are even beneficial. The survival rate of this virus is 99.97%...

Seems like wiping out people's businesses, life savings and ability to even visit family and loved ones is more detrimental than the alternative. Not to mention the millions of kids missing school and the increasing suicide rates. The free states are currently no worse off than "lockdown states", with regard to the spread, so perhaps living in fear is not the best alternative.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:20 PM

I guess that depends what you consider to be living in fear. Most people are advocating proper distancing, capacity limitations and wearing a mask. Doesn't seem alarmist to me. I might use the word practical.

On another note I've noticed that in the year I've been wearing a mask in all social situations I have not even had so much as a runny nose.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:48 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Living in fear doesnt prevent death....it prevents life.

Nobody believes in fate anymore.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-13-2021, 02:20 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
On another note I've noticed that in the year I've been wearing a mask in all social situations I have not even had so much as a runny nose.
Let's see what happens to your flabby, out of shape immune system when it finally comes off.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:24 PM

Oh, I've thought of that. I've been eating more fast food to balance it out.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
With restaurants, bars, hotels, salons, theatres and retail establishments being crippled here (and going out of business at alarming rates), you have to wonder at some point whether the lockdowns are even beneficial. The survival rate of this virus is 99.97%...

Seems like wiping out people's businesses, life savings and ability to even visit family and loved ones is more detrimental than the alternative. Not to mention the millions of kids missing school and the increasing suicide rates. The free states are currently no worse off than "lockdown states", with regard to the spread, so perhaps living in fear is not the best alternative.
There needs to be somewhere between fear and all out opening of everything. I got my first vaccine shot yesterday. I will still wear a mask in social places and try to keep my distance. I wouldn't advocate lockdowns or 100 percent openings right now. Somewhere in the middle...maybe 70% open? I just don't feel like we are completely out of the woods yet. All just my personal opinion. If everyone stays civil it's an ok debate.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I guess that depends what you consider to be living in fear. Most people are advocating proper distancing, capacity limitations and wearing a mask. Doesn't seem alarmist to me. I might use the word practical.

You missed the point just a tad. The two are not mutually exclusive...

They could open up most businesses and schools while employing masks and social distancing measures (being careful and practical). Some of these governor/dictators are on a bit of a power trip.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
You missed the point just a tad. The two are not mutually exclusive...

They could open up most businesses and schools while employing masks and social distancing measures (being careful and practical). Some of these governor/dictators are on a bit of a power trip.

Who is they, though? The government of the state has made their stance clear on the issue and the plan isn't what you're proposing.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Who is they, though? The government of the state has made their stance clear on the issue and the plan isn't what you're proposing.
That plan (or a similar version of it) is in place for states that are currently thriving.

I am going to bow out of this. Nobody's mind will be changed, and everyone is entitled to his/her own beliefs. No upside to debating this in a sportscard forum.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:00 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
We Are They.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goVL5dUykzs

-

Last edited by Casey2296; 04-13-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:11 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 04-13-2021, 03:19 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
It's actually closer to 98%:

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n579

However, there are more than the two outcomes from COVID than you're talking about - perfect health and death. COVID causes long-term problems in a lot of patients - heart issues, brain issues, and more. My brother is 15+ months out from getting COVID and still doesn't have his sense of taste back.

It's a lot more complicated than just "you die or you don't".

In addition to that, there is the significant burden that COVID places on the health care system. That has the effect of harming the care available to non-COVID patients.

None of the above should be interpreted in any way as advocating opening of businesses or closing of businesses.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:57 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post

However, there are more than the two outcomes from COVID than you're talking about - perfect health and death. COVID causes long-term problems in a lot of patients - heart issues, brain issues, and more. My brother is 15+ months out from getting COVID and still doesn't have his sense of taste back.

In addition to that, there is the significant burden that COVID places on the health care system. That has the effect of harming the care available to non-COVID patients.

None of the above should be interpreted in any way as advocating opening of businesses or closing of businesses.
My younger brother(46) is right at a year since he had it. He is still tired and his joints ache all the time.

To get more card pics here is one of my favorite pick ups in a very long time. A Wade Boggs rookie wrong back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wbrbF.jpg (69.8 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg wbrbB.jpg (72.4 KB, 244 views)
Old 04-13-2021, 06:55 PM
Rob

Quote:

It's not that complicated. It's a decision people should be able to decide on their own. If you're afraid of covid, don't go to a restaurant. But everyone else shouldn't be denied the right because you're afraid.

Not much different than cigarettes, alcohol, guns, motorcycles. People decide how much risk they want to assume. The gov't doesn't make the decision for them.

At this point the cat is out of the bag. Texas and Florida have dispelled just about every liberal myth related to covid. Yet liberal states still choose to fear the boogeyman.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:58 PM
Rob

BTW...Wasn't spring break supposed to cause another spike?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Covid April 2021.jpg (16.0 KB, 223 views)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:09 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
It's not that complicated. It's a decision people should be able to decide on their own. If you're afraid of covid, don't go to a restaurant. But everyone else shouldn't be denied the right because you're afraid.

Not much different than cigarettes, alcohol, guns, motorcycles. People decide how much risk they want to assume. The gov't doesn't make the decision for them.

At this point the cat is out of the bag. Texas and Florida have dispelled just about every liberal myth related to covid. Yet liberal states still choose to fear the boogeyman.
But doesn't the government try to mitigate the risk? Helmets, age minimums, licensing?? Wearing masks in public or temporarily halting mass, crowded indoor public events seem to be in character with all of your examples.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:36 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
You're refuting a point I didn't make. I was referring to the effects of COVID, specifically in reference to the - false - statement of a 99.97% survival rate. You're talking about something completely different.

Quote:
Government does make the decision. It's illegal to drive after consuming much alcohol. Clothing and helmets are regulated for motorcycles. Cigarettes are restricted from sale based on age and location. Their use is banned in many places. And so on.

So, by it being "not that much different", you're advocating for government intervention. That doesn't jibe with what you said above.

Quote:
Texas just had a 27% jump in weekly cases.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:59 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
My younger brother(46) is right at a year since he had it. He is still tired and his joints ache all the time.

To get more card pics here is one of my favorite pick ups in a very long time. A Wade Boggs rookie wrong back.
I had it over a year ago, before it was cool to get it. I've never been sicker, but I recovered.

My two adult daughters caught it three weeks ago and they seem to be through the worst of it. Both lost taste and smell, but it's slowly coming back.

That looks more to me like a Wade Boggs rookie wrong front.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:00 AM
Rob

Quote:

Texas just had a 27% jump in weekly cases.
Stop getting your news from CNN. These sensational stories are so 2020.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:04 AM
Rob

Quote:
Government does make the decision. It's illegal to drive after consuming much alcohol. Clothing and helmets are regulated for motorcycles. Cigarettes are restricted from sale based on age and location. Their use is banned in many places. And so on.

So, by it being "not that much different", you're advocating for government intervention. That doesn't jibe with what you said above.
That's not apples to apples. Let's see what would happen if the Gov't said no cigarette, alcohol, gun sales for the next 13+ months. Oh and no motorcycle riding either.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:06 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
That's not apples to apples. Let's see what would happen if the Gov't said no cigarette, alcohol, gun sales for the next 13+ months. Oh and no motorcycle riding either.
Not to mention shutting down Net54 for 13+ months.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:31 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Not to mention shutting down Net54 for 13+ months.

at least we always practice being 6 feet away from each member as we type.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 04-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Where do you get your news? (And no, I don't watch CNN)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:07 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
This will very likely be removed from Twitter soon as they certainly don't like the truth being out there, but we'll see?

Sounds like they are now going to ramp up the global warming/climate change train again because, you know, after all, fear sells and people will gladly give up their hard earned money for such a noble cause.

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/s...00630567469060

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/s...62653816856576

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/s...30642926854145
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cnn.jpg (10.3 KB, 134 views)
Closed Thread